HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Blues sign Steve Bernier to an offer sheet; Canucks Match

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
MS

vCash: 500
Hahaha. Nicely done by St. Louis. Can't really complain. We'll match, no problem, just like they did. Live by the sword ...

Is a bit of a pain in the ass if this is only a one-year deal and we'll have to sign him again next summer.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
chris11inter

Best move in the history of the NHL if you ask me !

Old
07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Why did Bernier sign it?
Probably because it's more than the Canucks were offerring and shorter term. He might understand the he's being slotted to get top-line minutes and could get a lot by playing with the Sedins and doesn't want to limit his salary options at this point. There is also no allegiance to the team. No comradary amongst the players. Odds are he's barely talked to the GM and a few others within the organization.

What this does do is screw up the salary structure for next year. 3 important RFAs (Krajicek, Edler, and Bernier) to resign and two of them are arbitration eligible (Bernier and Krajicek)*.

*I may be wrong on Bernier being arbitration eligible.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:03 PM
HFNHL PIT GM
OlliMacBjugStrome

a GREAT move by STL. I have a lot of respect for this. Burke can learn a lesson in class and fair play.

1 year deal is terrible for the Canucks. If Bernier rips it up, they are paying for it, if he doesnt, they have to QO at 2.5m.

Brilliant move STL, touche.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

i don't know why...Gillis didn't take care of this already

*** were u doing!

Old
Cocomero*

Do the Blues have any other RFA's?

Old
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Why did Bernier sign it?
Why not? It was probably more than the Canucks were offering. He doesn't owe anything to them.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:05 PM
cyrisweb

it would be a 2nd rounder in this next draft though.. so i guess i depends on what Gillis values more. I was expecting it to be a 2.5 deal anyway so i guess you can't complain to much.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:06 PM
galiano

I can't recall ever liking another teams GM more than the Canucks GM ( well except for Keenan and Quinn ) but I love JD for this move. You think other GMs aren't picking up on this and having a good laugh ? Very cool move Mr. Davidson.

Old
YogiCanucks

It sucks because of the short term and we can't trade him (not that we'd want to) but can we not sign him to an extention at any time now??

Old
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Get over yourself. Should Kesler be demoted to Manitoba for signing his offer sheet?

Turn around is fair play. Gillis should have known this was a likely occurrence as soon as he signed Backes. It's his own fault for not signing Bernier immediately after the trade.
The Kesler situation wasn't similar at all.

Bernier was just traded for, told he will be given a role in the top 6 and is a big part of the future with the organization. How does Bernier react? He signs a 1 year deal that he knows full well will piss off Gillis and Canuck management. If you think the Canucks brass aren't pissed off at Bernier right now you're wrong.

Ever heard of good faith? Players don't always sign offersheets put in front of them and this particular one will leave a bad taste in the mouth of everyone involved.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Hemsky4PM

Gillis must have been seriously low-balling Bernier and his agent, say 1.5M for one year or 4M over 2 years.

He is a free agent a RFA offers are just another negotiation tool for agents. Bernier just found the contract he wanted from another team. Everyone involved knows it's going to be matched but the Blues get a small bit of vengeance.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
What this does do is screw up the salary structure for next year. 3 important RFAs (Krajicek, Edler, and Bernier) to resign and two of them are arbitration eligible (Bernier and Krajicek)
Can't Gillis negotiate longterm extensions with any or all of these guys some time this season?

Old
07-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
Can't Gillis negotiate longterm extensions with any or all of these guys some time this season?
He can with Krajicek and Edler. Not sure about how it works with Bernier.

What I meant was Gillis probably wanted Bernier signed on a longer term deal. Instead he has to deal with him next year and, assuming he has factored in Sundin signing, shoehorning that increased (again assuming) dollar amount into the budget for next season. On top of that Ohlund, Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, Pettinger, and Pyatt need or may be resigned. Some of those guys will get raises. Messes with next seasons salary structure.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:08 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
Best move in the history of the NHL if you ask me !
Certainly the most amusing that I can remember. Welcome to the NHL MG. Does this qualify as a hazing ritual?

Old
07-08-2008, 05:09 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Pretty sure he can, but I doubt that he starts negotiating now, especially with a starting salary of 2.5...if Bernier stinks it up, then it gives Gillis options.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
pitseleh

I believe you can't start negotiating with players who are on one year deals until January 1st.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Shareefruck

With Bernier at 2.5 and Demitra at 4, we can't afford to throw 10 at Sundin without going over the cap, can we?

Old
07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

Bernier was just traded for, told he will be given a role in the top 6 and is a big part of the future with the organization. How does Bernier react? He signs a 1 year deal that he knows full well will piss off Gillis and Canuck management. If you think the Canucks brass aren't pissed off at Bernier right now you're wrong.

Ever heard of good faith? Players don't always sign offersheets put in front of them and this particular one will leave a bad taste in the mouth of everyone involved.
Boo hoo hoo. Gillis should have signed Bernier earlier then. It's been how many days since the trade? It's his own fault. I'm sure the Blues told Bernier they'd give him first line icetime when they offered the contract as well, and that he'd be a big part of their future.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
Players on 1 year deals can't sign a new contract until after January 1st.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
Pretty sure he can, but I doubt that he starts negotiating now, especially with a starting salary of 2.5...if Bernier stinks it up, then it gives Gillis options.
Thanks, wasn't sure about the various rules that come with offer sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I believe you can't start negotiating with players who are on one year deals until January 1st.
I remember something along those lines as well. That's what usually holds up teams and players signing extensions.

Sidenote: People do realize that Pleau is still the GM right? Davidson may be the President and have major input in calling the shots but Pleau is still the guy doing this. They even hired someone to take over for Pleau when he retires (former Stars GM Armstrong).

Old
tantalum

Quote:
Why the **** would Bernier sign it. I would be pretty pissed at him if I was Gillis and the Canucks. Stick the kid on the 3rd line and keep his production to a minimum. Absolute garbage by Bernier if he signed it.
Why wouldn't he sign it? It likely gives him a higher salary then he might otherwise get on a one year deal by a significant degree and then if he has a good year he'll be free to negotiate a longer term deal worth more next summer.

It's simply business when a GM makes such an offer and it's simply business when a player signs it.

Old
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
With Bernier at 2.5 and Demitra at 4, we can't afford to throw 10 at Sundin without going over the cap, can we?
Yes we can. 16.569 in cap space as of today.

Old
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:

Maybe Gillis wasnt budging from 1.5 million. This is a million dollar raise for him and next year he's an RFA again. Who says he has to show any loyalty to Vancouver? He's been traded twice since the new year already it's possible he doesnt really want to play in Vancouver. Or maybe he's figured out that GM's in this business can be cut throat and he just wants to take whatever he can get.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:14 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Boo hoo hoo. Gillis should have signed Bernier earlier then. It's been how many days since the trade? It's his own fault. I'm sure the Blues told Bernier they'd give him first line icetime when they offered the contract as well, and that he'd be a big part of their future.
Kind of begs the question....uhhh....did Gillis not try talking to the agent to get salary expectations BEFORE he traded for him. He was of course able to negotiate in advance. Wow. Just wow.

Closed Thread