HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues sign Steve Bernier to an offer sheet; Canucks Match

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Vector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
With Bernier at 2.5 and Demitra at 4, we can't afford to throw 10 at Sundin without going over the cap, can we?
We're allowed to go over the cap until the first day of the season or sometime close to that. Relatively simple problem to fix actually. Would take a bit of creative cap work but nothing overly difficult.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:16 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
The Canucks also have 11 forwards currently signed...without a top 6 winger and centre.

There's lots of wiggle room to subtract players if cap space becomes an issue.

Such as Pyatt at 1.575, Pettinger at 1, Cowan at 725,000.

Old
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
With Bernier at 2.5 and Demitra at 4, we can't afford to throw 10 at Sundin without going over the cap, can we?
Yes they can, I expect Cowan and Pyatt will be off the Canucks which frees up 2.2 million. This was probably the exact amount Gillis was expecting to sign Bernier which is why he didn't rush Berner because he would of easily matched. The only repercussion is the lenghth of the Contract because Gillis was probably adamant on locking Bernier long-term.

Old
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Sidenote: People do realize that Pleau is still the GM right? Davidson may be the President and have major input in calling the shots but Pleau is still the guy doing this. They even hired someone to take over for Pleau when he retires (former Stars GM Armstrong).
Bleh. I even knew that too. Someone else called JD the GM in the Trades forum and it's been stuck in my head the whole time.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:17 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The Kesler situation wasn't similar at all.

Bernier was just traded for, told he will be given a role in the top 6 and is a big part of the future with the organization. How does Bernier react? He signs a 1 year deal that he knows full well will piss off Gillis and Canuck management. If you think the Canucks brass aren't pissed off at Bernier right now you're wrong.

Ever heard of good faith? Players don't always sign offersheets put in front of them and this particular one will leave a bad taste in the mouth of everyone involved.
My feeling, based on the Bernier interview, is that Bernier hasnt been told much of anything atm. Far as I am concerned JD just did our negotiating. Just as we did with Backes. I was thinking 2M per but at 2.5 I am fine with it...

If he lights it up and scores 40 goals we are gonna have to pay. That is a fact. But I have no problem paying for performace.

2M/yr for 5 years would be nice and all but is totally unrealistic. Imagine if Bernier scores 40 and OS's come in for him around the 5M/yr mark. Will open up some options for the Canucks thru compensation. Although signing him at that point would be the preference.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Bleh. I even knew that too. Someone else called JD the GM in the Trades forum and it's been stuck in my head the whole time.
It's not hard to forget. Davidson appears to be the guy in charge from a marketing perspective. I don't think I've even seen a picture of Pleau since Davidson took over.

Old
pitseleh

I believe Pleau is basically a figurehead in the Blues organization at this point.

Old
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
The Kesler situation wasn't similar at all.

Bernier was just traded for, told he will be given a role in the top 6 and is a big part of the future with the organization. How does Bernier react? He signs a 1 year deal that he knows full well will piss off Gillis and Canuck management. If you think the Canucks brass aren't pissed off at Bernier right now you're wrong.

Ever heard of good faith? Players don't always sign offersheets put in front of them and this particular one will leave a bad taste in the mouth of everyone involved.
I think you're making way too big a deal about this.

I don't blame Bernier at all for signing an offer sheet... what if he wanted to come to Vancouver and just sign a 1-yr deal, knowing he could improve his leverage after a season in the top 6?? could you blame him for only wanting a 1yr deal?

What if Gillis wasn't offering anything less than a 3yr deal, knowing that Bernier doesn't have arbitration rights and his only leverage is sitting out or getting an offer sheet?

I don't blame Bernier at all for signing that contract, nor do I blame Gillis at all for standing pat on trying to get this kid signed long term... it's a gamble for both sides here!

Bernier owes this club nothing... he hasn't even put on the sweater yet!! This is now the 3rd NHL team he's been on on 3 yrs, and there's no reason to think that he should even have any sense of loyalty to this franchise .... the franchise hasn't earned that loyalty from him yet, just like he hasn't earned a big money longterm deal yet.

This was a smart move by Bernier... it was a smart move by the Blues... and while Gillis ends up getting burned for not signing him quicker, you can't blame him for trying to negotiate a longterm deal with Bernier, just like you can't blame the player for wanting a 1yr deal.

and Gillis, least of all should be mad here... he knows full well both the RFA offer rules - having made an offer already to the Blues, and he's a former player agent, that would have done the same - what's best for the player - in the same situation. If he's mad at all this, he's a hypocrite... there is no doubt he fully realizes this is a business, and you can't blame a player for doing what's best for them. Basically, if there's any GM in the league who's going to understand why Bernier signed that contract and respect his decision to do so, it's going to be Gillis!!

Old
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I believe Pleau is basically a figurehead in the Blues organization at this point.
Seems that way. Especially with the hiring of Armstrong. I wonder what the relationship with Armstrong, Pleau, and Davidson is actually like.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:20 PM
ChicagoBlues

What a great move by Pleau and Davidson!! You can call it payback, but I call it respect for Canucks' organization.

Gillis should be able to match, no problem.

This is funny as hell.......been laughing ever since I read this.

Good luck 'Nucks.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Shane

Quote:
It's not hard to forget. Davidson appears to be the guy in charge from a marketing perspective. I don't think I've even seen a picture of Pleau since Davidson took over.
Well, it was Davidson that announced the signing, so that's where it's stemming from.

Quote:
ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues President John Davidson announced today that the club has signed Group II free agent forward Steve Bernier to an offer sheet worth $2.5 million for next season. The Canucks will have seven days to match the offer or receive St. Louis’ 2nd round draft choice in 2009.

“Steve is a good young player who would play a big part in our youth movement,” said Davidson. “Our coaches and scouting staff are extremely positive about him.”

Old
07-08-2008, 05:21 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Pleau does most of the financial work from what I understand, but JD and Armstrong to a lesser extent are basically the people behind the moves.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:23 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
You're right about Pleau. He really is a very good GM. But as you all know, he's been extended for a couple more seasons and Doug Armstrong WILL take over as GM upon Pleau's contract expiration.

We also looked at former Canucks GM, Nonis.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Pleau does most of the financial work from what I understand, but JD and Armstrong to a lesser extent are basically the people behind the moves.
You'd think that they'd switch positions then with JD being GM and LP being President. I suppose they're just titles though and St. Louis can do whatever the want.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
The NHL Rant

Quote:
Why the **** would Bernier sign it. I would be pretty pissed at him if I was Gillis and the Canucks. Stick the kid on the 3rd line and keep his production to a minimum. Absolute garbage by Bernier if he signed it.
I can't tell you how happy I am that you are have absolutely no influence over the management and coaching decisions of the Canucks.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Oshie97

Quote:
This is JD written all over it, Pleau and now Armstrong have to pretty much have JD's ok before offering a contract. JD is very smart and we are lucky to have him with us. I figure this is just a little revenge and a good laugh between the two gms. He did a interview with a radio station after we signed Backes saying he was mad at the trades you guys offered for Backes before you offered the sheet. I don't think there is any bad blood like the edm and ducks gms though.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Boo hoo hoo. Gillis should have signed Bernier earlier then. It's been how many days since the trade? It's his own fault. I'm sure the Blues told Bernier they'd give him first line icetime when they offered the contract as well, and that he'd be a big part of their future.
You make it sound like RFA offersheets are commonplace. Not once has a team sent an offersheet just to get revenge for an offer that was given to one of their players. Never. It's a bush league move that makes the Blues look like a bunch of immature babies. They had no intentions of bringing Steve Bernier to St. Louis whatsoever.

Why is it this stuff always happens to the Canucks?

Now that I think about the RFA compensation scale this doesn't hurt us too bad in re-signing Bernier next year. If Bernier does put up 30 goals, 60 points and he wants north of $3mil we can just tell him to go **** his hat and wait for another offersheet. If any team is willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd he'll be on his way out of town. He thought Gillis was a tough negotiator now? Wait til next year.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:29 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
This could hurt us. Davidson probably see's Bernier putting up big numbers next year and a 1 year deal will hurt us in the summer of '09. Vindictive move with no intention of acquiring Bernier.
I forget how this works. Are they committed to that term once they match or can they extend a longer term contract?

Old
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
fogducker

I'm sure everyone will be happy if bernier scores 40 and we win the stanley cup. I don't mind him paying him based on his performance. If not, Gillis can also extend his contract this summer so I see this as a non-issue

Old
07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
ChicagoBlues

Gillis did us a favor by making a reasonable offer to Backes and, imo, while we do want Bernier, I think this is a favor in return. $2.5m for Bernier is awesome.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Yammer

This move, apart from being high-larious, is pretty smart. It is a shot across the bows to Gillis to warn other teams off their RFAs. But I think Gillis should be classy and match immediately.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Why the **** would Bernier sign it. I would be pretty pissed at him if I was Gillis and the Canucks. Stick the kid on the 3rd line and keep his production to a minimum. Absolute garbage by Bernier if he signed it.
THAT is a hell of an idea!

Old
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Gillis did us a favor by making an offer to Backes and, imo, while we do want Bernier, I think this is a favor in return. $2.5m for Bernier is awesome.
Ya, it's not bad at all, it would have been better if it was a 3 year deal, and not a 1 year deal.

I think Pleau knew of this, potentially handcuffing the Canucks next season, but 2.5 for Bernier I can accept. If he plays well, he deserves to get paid.

Old
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
I forget how this works. Are they committed to that term once they match or can they extend a longer term contract?
1 year deal without the chance at extending.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:34 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
This move, apart from being high-larious, is pretty smart. It is a shot across the bows to Gillis to warn other teams off their RFAs. But I think Gillis should be classy and match immediately.
Spot on Yammer. This is a respectful warning shot. Good stuff. And, btw, **** Lowe.

Closed Thread