HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues sign Steve Bernier to an offer sheet; Canucks Match

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
I forget how this works. Are they committed to that term once they match or can they extend a longer term contract?
Bernier has signed a one-year contract for next year right now, the only question is which team he'll be playing on. Canucks can negotiate an extension after January rolls around though, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Gillis did us a favor by making a reasonable offer to Backes and, imo, while we do want Bernier, I think this is a favor in return. $2.5m for Bernier is awesome.
He's not doing us any favours really. The dollar amount is reasonable for this year but the one-year contract hurts, especially if Bernier does have a career year with the Sedins. That said, I don't begrudge JD for making the offer, or Bernier for signing it.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
It's like when that guy shot a puck at Bieksa so Bieksa caught it and shot it back at him

All joking aside Bernier will be overpaid this year, but so will Backes so all is fair.
I believe that was Fiddler... or maybe even Hordichuk?
Anyway the only negative is that it's a 1 year deal... could screw the team over IF Sundin signs for 2 years.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
shayne

Hilarious, love the Blues management on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

stick to Gillies, i hope Gillies who paid two 2nd rd picks to get Bernier only get one back as compensation

this is childesh but i love it, Gillies should take care of his own house and leave other teams prospects and young players alone

Old
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You make it sound like RFA offersheets are commonplace. Not once has a team sent an offersheet just to get revenge for an offer that was given to one of their players. Never. It's a bush league move that makes the Blues look like a bunch of immature babies. They had no intentions of bringing Steve Bernier to St. Louis whatsoever.

Why is it this stuff always happens to the Canucks?
To quote Sonny Corleone: "You're taking this very personal. Tom, this is business and this man is taking it very personal."

Old
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
stick to Gillies, i hope Gillies who paid two 2nd rd picks to get Bernier only get one back as compensation

this is childesh but i love it, Gillies should take care of his own house and leave other teams prospects and young players alone
Incompetence,

Gillis gave a 2nd rounder in 2010, and a 3rd rounder in 09 which was L.A's. Also, this is a 100 percent guaranteed match by Gillis, sorry to crush your hopes.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
The NHL Rant

Does this make the Canucks the most heavily poached team in the NHL, at 2 offer sheets made?

Old
07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
You make it sound like RFA offersheets are commonplace. Not once has a team sent an offersheet just to get revenge for an offer that was given to one of their players. Never. It's a bush league move that makes the Blues look like a bunch of immature babies. They had no intentions of bringing Steve Bernier to St. Louis whatsoever.

Now that I think about the RFA compensation scale this doesn't hurt us too bad in re-signing Bernier next year. If Bernier does put up 30 goals, 60 points and he wants north of $3mil we can just tell him to go **** his hat and wait for another offersheet. If any team is willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd he'll be on his way out of town. He thought Gillis was a tough negotiator now? Wait til next year.
I don't think I could disagree anymore with everything you have to say on this subject!

If Bernier scores 30 goals, why would Gillis move a young 30 goal scorer who's got a powerforward's body and is still developing?? all for a 1st and a 3rd?

if Bernier scores 30 goals, he's going become a player that you make room on your roster to keep. If he comes in here next season and is the perfect fit for the Sedins, or even a solid top 6er on his own, these aren't players you let walk away for a 1st and a 3rd.

Bernier has put himself in a solid position with his contract situation... I'm guessing that Gillis right now is commending this move on his agents part, even if he hates the situation this put him in... he's a former player agent and I think he knows that Bernier did the right thing here.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

yeah...i'm not a fan of the one year thing as well. Wish it was over 3 years or so...should be interesting to see what happens if Bernier lights it up with the Sedins.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Bluester

Quote:
Gillis did us a favor by making a reasonable offer to Backes and, imo, while we do want Bernier, I think this is a favor in return. $2.5m for Bernier is awesome.
Actually I think it's more of a shot back. Gillis made Backes the offer but it was for 3 years. We make the offer but for only 1 year. If it was really a favor it would've been a longer length. I've gotten a good laugh off this thread though and the announcement.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Payaso619*

To bad it wasn't for longer period of time, pretty funny move, but ****** at the same time

Old
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:

Now that I think about the RFA compensation scale this doesn't hurt us too bad in re-signing Bernier next year. If Bernier does put up 30 goals, 60 points and he wants north of $3mil we can just tell him to go **** his hat and wait for another offersheet. If any team is willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd he'll be on his way out of town. He thought Gillis was a tough negotiator now? Wait til next year.
Maybe in Vancouver people will see the Blues as a bush league team and a bunch of babies.

But everywhere else in the hockey world will see this as not only hilarious but have a care when going after other Blues RFA's. It's not just a good move to get revenge on Gillis, it helps the Blues protect their future assets. They have alot of great young talent becoming RFA's in the next 2-4 years and teams will be more wary from making them offersheets.

Old
Rebuild

Quote:
Why the **** would Bernier sign it. I would be pretty pissed at him if I was Gillis and the Canucks. Stick the kid on the 3rd line and keep his production to a minimum. Absolute garbage by Bernier if he signed it.

Why shouldn't he? I really don't see why this would be an issue.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Vector

Drop the Sopel, you're over-reacting.

Old
I in the Eye

Quote:
Ya, but this reasonable offer is only for 1 year... so... Gillis waits 7 days to match

Love this move by St. Louis...

Old
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Maybe in Vancouver people will see the Blues as a bush league team and a bunch of babies.

But everywhere else in the hockey world will see this as not only hilarious but have a care when going after other Blues RFA's. It's not just a good move to get revenge on Gillis, it helps the Blues protect their future assets. They have alot of great young talent becoming RFA's in the next 2-4 years and teams will be more wary from making them offersheets.
This post sums it up well.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Well, it was Davidson that announced the signing, so that's where it's stemming from.
LOL. Isn't that almost verbatim what Gillis said about Backes? That's awesome.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NHL Rant View Post
Does this make the Canucks the most heavily poached team in the NHL, at 2 offer sheets made?
Vancouver have actually been poached four times. Nedved, Ohlund, Kesler and now Bernier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_pla...d_offer_sheets

Edmonton is the highest at five times. St. Louis has made the most offer sheets with nine.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
To quote Sonny Corleone: "You're taking this very personal. Tom, this is business and this man is taking it very personal."
Can you tell I have a temper problem? I take it personally when a golf ball doesn't go where I intended. The boys call me conniption.

Initially I was thinking this would be a big problem for us to sign Bernier next year. I think he'll have a career year and be looking for big money. Fortunately he'll probably fall into the compensation bracket where poaching won't be likely and his negotiating power will suffer because of it.

Are none of you Irish?

Old
07-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Shane

Quote:

To be fair, the only Canucks fan here that seems to be pissed off is Drop the Sopel. Everyone else thinks it's hilarious and fair play.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Shane

Quote:
Are none of you Irish?
Half Irish. I only inherited the alcoholism and red hair.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Vancouver have actually been poached four times. Nedved, Ohlund, Kesler and now Bernier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_pla...d_offer_sheets

Edmonton is the highest at five times. St. Louis has made the most offer sheets with nine.
28% of the offer sheets signed have been by St. Louis.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Vector

Quote:
Are none of you Irish?
Part Irish and part Scottish. The anger only comes out when I play hockey.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Never have I seen a fan base so happy to piss away a couple extra million a year for the next few years. Why again was the Kesler offersheet seen as a kick in the balls but this one is worth the laughs it's invoked? This hurts our chances at icing a better team in the near future. Plain and simple.

I'm going to go smoke a joint and try and see the humour in this. I'll be back.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:54 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
Ya, but this reasonable offer is only for 1 year... so... Gillis waits 7 days to match

Love this move by St. Louis...
It would be hilarious if he waits the full seven days and sleeps in next Tuesday, misses the deadline and Bernier becomes a St. Louis Blue.

Canuck luck right there.
hahaha

Old
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Dana Murzyn

OFFER MATCHED. According to TSN.

Closed Thread