HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The official University of Michigan thread

Old
04-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

vCash: 500
lol now that JPL got robbed of even a showing in the Hat Trick, i guess im pulling for Porter to win the HB.....he def deserves it.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 03:53 PM
flip51

GO BLUE! Red Wings playoff opener and this all in one night? It's a little too much for me to handle... If anybody is in Denver remember to yell Hobey Baker when they call Porter!

flip51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Avalanche better trade Billy Sauer because its obvious he sucks at the Pepsi Center.

I don't even know what to say with him, those were not prime scoring chances, he has to stop atleast 2 of those 3.

Billy did not even give the team a chance tonight.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

3-2!

Come on

Old
04-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
The 3rd period belongs to the maize and blue.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:50 PM
TheZherdev

What a game!

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Colton2233

overtime

Colton2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Nice time for Mitera to have his worst game in his three year career at Michigan.

I know Red has leaned on him alot this season, but he was abysmal tonight, from the stupid roughing penalty to hanging Scooter out to dry numerous times on odd man rushes.

He'll sign this summer and will have a nice NHL career, but wow was he awful tonight.

I hope Summers comes back.

Old
04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Great game last night. Michigan battled back but ND would not die.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
What a craptastic way to end such a good season... Sauer played like it was last year. ND should have never had those 3 goals. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh terrible. So frustrating. Stupid ND. I want to punch them in the face.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Felix29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The Avalanche better trade Billy Sauer because its obvious he sucks at the Pepsi Center.

I don't even know what to say with him, those were not prime scoring chances, he has to stop atleast 2 of those 3.

Billy did not even give the team a chance tonight.
That is no joke. All three of his goals were horrible! The last one by Thang was just sick... Hogan looked really good coming in though. How had he been during the season? I haven't seen him play since he was in the USHL.

Felix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:52 AM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix29 View Post
That is no joke. All three of his goals were horrible! The last one by Thang was just sick... Hogan looked really good coming in though. How had he been during the season? I haven't seen him play since he was in the USHL.
Hogan saw action in five games during the regular season against mainly lower tier opponents and went 3-1-1. His only loss came in the final regular season game at Ferris State, the night after Michigan clinched the CCHA regular season title, so they were probably in a bit of a "we don't have to play hard in this game" mode seeing as they had things locked up and Hogan got thrown to the wolves that night.

He looked pretty good in the games I saw him. Very aggressive coming out to challenge the shooter and he reminds a lot of people of Marty Turco with the way he comes way out of net to handle the puck. I do remember watching him in one game, though, and for whatever reason every time the opponent dumped in a long bouncer right on net he almost flubbed it. Happened two or three times in one game, and I saw it almost happen once the other night. Maybe he needs his vision checked or something.

All things considered he did a solid job coming in in relief the other night. Looked very poised and gave us a chance to come back. Can't really fault him for either goal.

Is he draft eligible again this year (12/27/88 DOB)? I know he went undrafted last summer. I wonder if someone might take a late round flier on him.

MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Mark Mitera has been named Captain of next year's squad... good to know a stabilizing force will be back on the blueline for the Wolverines.

Old
07-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Where do you see Pateryn in the upcoming season? What would your D will look like? Are we really talking only on the 3rd pairing?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:47 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Where do you see Pateryn in the upcoming season? What would your D will look like? Are we really talking only on the 3rd pairing?
Though Greg is a promising prospect, he is definitely the weaker of the two defensive newcomers (Devils '08 2nd round pick Brandon Burlon is the other). He is by no means a lock to dress every game, because Michigan has all top-6 D returning (though Chris Summers is moving up to forward in all likelihood) and these two highly touted incoming freshman.

I think a lot of Michigan fans are still a little confused at why the coaching staff decided to bring Greg in this season. Originally, he was scheduled to play the year in the USHL, and come in with the 2009 class. Then, about a month ago or so, he was told that there had been a change in plans and he should report to Ann Arbor this fall, instead. At the time, people thought this had happened because we were about to lose someone (either to an early signing or an academic casualty). But nothing like that has come out yet, and the coaching staff has indicated that they aren't expecting a new roster spot to open. So, it's sort of odd.

When he plays, which pairing he plays on could be more a function of finding compatible partners more than calling him 'a 3rd pairing guy'. If I had to guess, I would expect our D to look like this at the start of the season:

Mark Mitera - Steve Kampfer
Chad Langlais - Brandon Burlon
Scooter Vaughn - Tristan Llewellyn/ Greg Pateryn (rotating games)

Eventually someone is going to get banged up and we'll be thankful to have a high quality #7 defensemen to drop in. And, of course, excellent (or poor) play will result in lineup adjustments. But at the start, it's going to be a bit crowded for Pateryn. And this may not change for a while, as we have only 1 guy expected to leave after this season (senior captain and '06 1st rounder Mark Mitera), and another nice D recruit entering with the 2009 class. So, it will be important for Pateryn (and everyone else) to play well enough when they get ice time to ensure they're not the rotating 6/7 defensemen the following season.

Probably not the answer Habs fans want to hear, but I think most Michigan fans would agree with me at this point.

Last edited by CapsWolverinesUSA: 07-06-2008 at 08:57 PM.
CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Though Greg is a promising prospect, he is definitely the weaker of the two defensive newcomers (Devils '08 2nd round pick Brandon Burlon is the other). He is by no means a lock to dress every game, because Michigan has all top-6 D returning (though Chris Summers is moving up to forward in all likelihood) and these two highly touted incoming freshman.
Thanks a lot but I'm stunned. Why would you stalled the development of a player like that? Seems to me that if it goes like you're saying, we should not expect the greatest progression out of this guy for another year though he'll be practicing and all but you can't compare that to actual games.

Should've stayed in the USHL if it's going to be like that.....or should have went to another college if he had the choice or wanted to.

I am far from the truth if I think that, right now, Pateryn seems like a poor-man's Mark Mitera? Tough, reliable, with some offensive but mostly a good defensive d-man?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 07:22 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Thanks a lot but I'm stunned. Why would you stalled the development of a player like that? Seems to me that if it goes like you're saying, we should not expect the greatest progression out of this guy for another year though he'll be practicing and all but you can't compare that to actual games.

Should've stayed in the USHL if it's going to be like that.....or should have went to another college if he had the choice or wanted to.

I am far from the truth if I think that, right now, Pateryn seems like a poor-man's Mark Mitera? Tough, reliable, with some offensive but mostly a good defensive d-man?
Pateryn led his team in scoring for defensemen and was on the top PP unit so everything I've heard from USHL fans is that he's got good offensive skills.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:

As I said, I definitely expect him to play, just not every game at first. Llewellyn is the weakest of the returning D and I think most everyone believes that Burlon will immediately jump him on the depth chart. While I also think Pateryn is more talented than Llewellyn, Llewellyn has the advantage of having played 35 games last year, including every big game down the stretch and in post-season play, and having done a decent (if unspectacular) job. I think it unlikely that Berenson would sit a returning starter every game, so the obvious initial answer is a rotation with the weaker of the 2 freshman. With the rare mid-week game here and there, the NCAA schedule is pretty consistently two-games per weekend with Sunday-Thursday off for practice. Thus, the back-to-back games particularly lend themselves to rotating depth players. Last year, prior to Tampa draftee Kevin Quick being booted off the team, Quick, Llewelyn and Scooter Vaughn were involved in a 3-man rotation for 2-spots each night. It worked fine, and everyone got enough games to improve. I expect similar results this year.

I don't think Pateryn will be stalled this year. A year of practice with an elite group of players combined with 25 games played will definitely allow him to grow. But obviously more games would be better.

To your last question, Pateryn's rep is being a pretty balanced two-way defensemen. Maybe not excellent in any one asset, but good at everything. Mitera, on the other hand, is pretty much regarded as a big, physical defensive-defensemen with limited offensive abilities.

Old
07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
When he plays, which pairing he plays on could be more a function of finding compatible partners more than calling him 'a 3rd pairing guy'. If I had to guess, I would expect our D to look like this at the start of the season:

Mark Mitera - Steve Kampfer
Chad Langlais - Brandon Burlon
Scooter Vaughn - Tristan Llewellyn/ Greg Pateryn (rotating games)
Mitera with Kampfer???

Kampfer played much of this past year with Langlais and they were pretty good together too. Why would Red separate the two? I just don't see it happening...or certainly not the two most experienced guys being in the same pairing.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:25 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Mitera with Kampfer???

Kampfer played much of this past year with Langlais and they were pretty good together too. Why would Red separate the two? I just don't see it happening...or certainly not the two most experienced guys being in the same pairing.
Red has a history of tag-teaming his two best defense. He did it for 2 years with Matt Hunwick and Jack Johnson. Before that, he did it with Komisarek and Jillson.

The basis for my guess is that it would be usual to put a freshman on the 1st pairing when there are so many returning starters. On the other hand, it would be somewhat risky to leave the 3rd pairing with 2 freshman on many nights. If you assume someone has to drop down to that 3rd pairing, and Mitera isn't going to be paired with Burlon, then my set-up is the only one that works. Kampfer is ready to be the go-to offensive defensemen with Summers moving to the forward ranks. If he is the PP quarterback, he pretty much has to be in the first pairing according to Michigan's system.

Langlais is an extremely adaptable player. He also doesn't have much offensive upside. Burlon is a good match for him.

Old
07-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
He did it for 2 years with Matt Hunwick and Jack Johnson. Before that, he did it with Komisarek and Jillson.
Right, but JJ and Komo were both underclassmen being paired with upperclassmen at the time they played with Hunwick and Jillson respectively. Mitera and Kampfer are both upperclassmen this year. You'd think experience would go along with youth.

Maybe I'll ask Red about that when I see him next week.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
BCeagle

Looks like MSU and Miami will battle Michigan again for the top spot in the CCHA. Any predictions for the upcoming season without Porter and Kolarik?

I really thought Michigan was going to the Final but Notre Dame played great down the stretch to reach the final.

Is Michigan a top-5 team in 2008-2009?

BCeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post
Looks like MSU and Miami will battle Michigan again for the top spot in the CCHA. Any predictions for the upcoming season without Porter and Kolarik?

I really thought Michigan was going to the Final but Notre Dame played great down the stretch to reach the final.

I think Michigan will struggle to equal the regular season success they had last year. I don't see them grabbing a #1 ranking or a top seed in the tourney. That being said, once they gel and if Max is indeed back and can carry the top line, I think UM can go far in the tourney. The defense should be better than last year and hopefully the goaltending will not tank in big games.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post

MSU has taken a pretty big step back, IMO. They're very young. Other than Lerg and Petry, there is almost nothing proven about this team. Notre Dame and Miami are clearly the class of the league from the preseason perspective. Both teams will be preseason top 5. Miami and MSU will be not only fighting eachother for 3rd in the preseason polls, but trying to hold off upstart Northern Michigan.

Old
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
RabidBadger

in case you didn't see it posted below: http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=368613

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote