HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues sign Steve Bernier to an offer sheet; Canucks Match

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2008, 05:57 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

vCash: 500
No one is happy to pay extra. And an extra 1M per year is an exaggeration. 500K per is more realistic.

If this team gonna is crash and burn over 500k we are in more trouble then we think. Next year it could end up costing us another 2M. But we will have to live with that. I am just glad 1 more contract is out of the way at a good rate for THIS year.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Heh. Saw that one coming.

The salary is fine but it still sucks because we're stuck with a one-year deal.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Maybe in Vancouver people will see the Blues as a bush league team and a bunch of babies.

But everywhere else in the hockey world will see this as not only hilarious but have a care when going after other Blues RFA's. It's not just a good move to get revenge on Gillis, it helps the Blues protect their future assets. They have alot of great young talent becoming RFA's in the next 2-4 years and teams will be more wary from making them offersheets.
This is true. It should make teams more hesitant.

Except for the Canucks that is. Any chance the Canucks can drive salaries up for the Blues even without the intent of acquiring the players, it has to be done. Gillis has to send the message back. "We sign your RFA's, you sign ours as revenge, we'll sign yours back".

I guess that's why they say violence only breads more violence.

------------------

Wait. What? The Blues organization have sent 28% of all RFA offersheets? And they're pissed off at Gillis?

Old
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Never have I seen a fan base so happy to piss away a couple extra million a year for the next few years. Why again was the Kesler offersheet seen as a kick in the balls but this one is worth the laughs it's invoked? This hurts our chances at icing a better team in the near future. Plain and simple.

I'm going to go smoke a joint and try and see the humour in this. I'll be back.
Ya, this hurts a bit... more like a pin ***** than anything else though...

Personally, I thought the Backes offer sheet was a waste of time... This one's a waste of time as well - except blatantly so... All we need is for Lowe to extend an offer sheet next in the $2.5 range to either St. Louis or Vancouver, and it could be an episode of the Three Stooges...

Old
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Canucks match the offer sheet, he's playing for the Canucks this season.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
We have a great deal of respect for the St. Louis Blues, John Davidson, Larry Pleau and their management team. The offer sheet to Bernier is a clear indication of how highly Steve is thought of in our League.
Nice spin

Old
07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis65 View Post
No one is happy to pay extra. And an extra 1M per year is an exaggeration. 500K per is more realistic.

If this team gonna is crash and burn over 500k we are in more trouble then we think. Next year it could end up costing us another 2M. But we will have to live with that. I am just glad 1 more contract is out of the way at a good rate for THIS year.
I was thinking something along the lines of 3 years $7.5mil for Bernier this summer. Maybe I'm in the minority but I think Bernier will score 30 goals next year. So now with presumably an increased cap you're looking at $4-4.5mil. This could potentially hurt us pretty bad.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Shane

Quote:
You make it sound like RFA offersheets are commonplace. Not once has a team sent an offersheet just to get revenge for an offer that was given to one of their players. Never. It's a bush league move that makes the Blues look like a bunch of immature babies. They had no intentions of bringing Steve Bernier to St. Louis whatsoever.
The used to be commonplace in the nineties, including seven in 1991. After the Fedorov offersheet in 1998 though, there wasn't another one for eight years until the Kesler offersheet.

I think we'll see them start to become as common as they were in early nineties with a handful every offseason.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
canuck8

like most others I find this pretty hilarious, I was a little upset at the one year deal at first however, after getting traded twice in about 6 months and not having a great reputation right now bernier probably knows this is one of his last chances and he should be inspired to play well this year. If he does then the canucks organization has to decide wether he's worth the big bucks or if we want some good draft picks.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
tantalum

NOt unexpected. Gillis likely wanted to give him that yearly amount over a multiyear deal. Bernier knows what kind of numbers he might be able to put up playing with the twins so he wants a one year deal in order to cash in next summer (arbitration rights next year???). Gillis doesn't want to give him $2.5 mil on a one year deal so in this way Bernier ends up with a good deal now and for later.

I have no problems with the player looking out for number 1. No problems at all.

My guess is Gillis and Pleau/JD go for golf or dinner at the next set of league meetings they attend together.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:12 PM
tantalum

Quote:
I was thinking something along the lines of 3 years $7.5mil for Bernier this summer. Maybe I'm in the minority but I think Bernier will score 30 goals next year. So now with presumably an increased cap you're looking at $4-4.5mil. This could potentially hurt us pretty bad.
It might hurt a bit but that's sort of a good problem to have. I think a GM would much rather have players that are earning contracts and increasing their worth from contract to contract rather than a dead weight not earning the money. Sure it would be better to have him signed at $2.5 mil for mulitple years and he scores 30 goals this year with the twins but the current scenario isn't exactly "bad".

ON the flip side if Bernier comes into camp fat and lazy a one year deal is a good thing.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:12 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
My guess is Gillis and Pleau/JD go for golf or dinner at the next set of league meetings they attend together.
Either that or they get into a pissing match that would make Lowe and Burke blush.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Payaso619*

I'm just pissed off that it had to be one year, he could of atleast done it for 3. I guess next year if he has a good year, we'd have to pay him 4M-4.5M for the next few years, which is what I'm ticked about.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Vector

Looks like Gillis has a buddy in the GM fraternity now.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:28 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

But if he plays well enough to earn 4~4.5 we will be very happy. Means he scores 30 with the Sedin's and we have a #1 line for years to come. Sundin's 10M wont be on the books forever. There is a 1yr and a 2yr option for Sundin. If he signs the 1 yr deal then who cares if Bernier costs us an extra 2m. Give it too him and maybe Sundin signs another 1 yr deal worth 8m!

Old
07-08-2008, 06:31 PM
freakydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Vancouver have actually been poached four times. Nedved, Ohlund, Kesler and now Bernier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_pla...d_offer_sheets

Edmonton is the highest at five times. St. Louis has made the most offer sheets with nine.
To the posters who think this offer will be some kind of deterrent--
It is actually showing other GM's that 1 year term offer is the way to screw with other teams.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Even if Sundin signs in Vancouver -- and let's face it, it's very unlikely -- it doesn't necessarily have to be for the $10 million. I don't think it'd actually make much of a dent in Mats' lifestyle if he had to settle for a piddly $8 million or so, and if the reason is because the team is more competitive, I somehow don't think he'd mind.

This is assuming that Gillis hasn't assured him that it's "on the table" indefinitely.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Kid_Roll

This seems so petty.

But meh.

Annoys me Gillis didn't get a multi-year deal done before this happened. But what can you do. I have a feeling Bernier's agent wouldn't have signed him past a 2 year deal anyhow, so we only lost a year IMO.

Still, lame if he has an awesome year next year.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
The used to be commonplace in the nineties, including seven in 1991. After the Fedorov offersheet in 1998 though, there wasn't another one for eight years until the Kesler offersheet.

I think we'll see them start to become as common as they were in early nineties with a handful every offseason.
Wasn't that when the older CBA expired? So there may have been some legal issues with RFA offer sheets between 98 and the lockout? I know that they eventually extended that one until the lockout occurred... but perhaps some clauses in it weren't really in effect?

Old
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
Either that or they get into a pissing match that would make Lowe and Burke blush.
Doubt it. Neither of them are at Burke levels in the press.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Quote:
We have a great deal of respect for the St. Louis Blues, John Davidson, Larry Pleau and their management team. The offer sheet to Bernier is a clear indication of how highly Steve is thought of in our League.
Nice spin
No kidding. That's a great spin on things. The force is strong in 'tEh Gillis'.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
ginner classic

It's a fair move a lighthearted version of what happened between Lowe and Burke. Classy response by Gillis.

Unfortunately the Canucks will have Ohlund, Bernier, The Sedins and Edler all up for new contracts next year. If they struggle and are on the bubble at the deadline I expect they will ask Ohlund to waive his NTC and then trade him. They have not had discussions yet with Ohlund as of two days ago but I expect as soon as there is certainty on Sundin that the Sedins', Edler and Ohlund will all be getting cals about their expectations on their long term deals. I don't expect Edler or Bernier to be re-signed until next off-season, The Sedins this summer for sure (they better be anyways), and Ohlund the wildcard. If he has salary expectations over 4.5 million and another NTC I think they'll look to move him with Philly, Phoenix, LA, Buffalo and Pittsburgh as possible destinations.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
onetimer

This will probably motivate Bernier to head to the gym so he can cash in next year...

Old
07-08-2008, 06:48 PM
pitseleh

They just mentioned on Team 1040 that the Canucks were close to re-signing Bernier and that they were just haggling over term.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
They just mentioned on Team 1040 that the Canucks were close to re-signing Bernier and that they were just haggling over term.

Ah lame. Lame lame lame.

Closed Thread