HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panther Roster point projections

Old
07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
PanthersFanatic12

vCash: 500
Panther Roster point projections

Who do you guys think will surprize or go beyond expectations this upcoming season .
Name a player from the fowards and one from the defense and give a reason for each why

My pick from the fowards is Olesz , i think he will raise his game and start showing what hes really capable of . ( my darkhorse pick is Kreps)

My pick from the defense is Allen . I think hes going to raise his defense game and contribute more points wise .

*Reminder the players you pick , doesnt necessarily have to be who will surpass point totals from last season but can be also who will be better defensively

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
Who do you guys think will surprize or go beyond expectations this upcoming season .
Name a player from the fowards and one from the defense and give a reason for each why

My pick from the fowards is Olesz , i think he will raise his game and start showing what hes really capable of . ( my darkhorse pick is Kreps)

My pick from the defense is Allen . I think hes going to raise his defense game and contribute more points wise .

*Reminder the players you pick , doesnt necessarily have to be who will surpass point totals from last season but can be also who will be better defensively
I think all of Booth, Horton and Weiss will all have monster years. Now with Olli gone, they have no choice but to step up their game and with the type of coach Deboer is, I dont expect to see any of these half ass efforts anymore.

On defense, I am going to go with Bouw. If he is still here, I think he will increase in points from last year now that he really has alot of help. If not, I will go with Ballard.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
I think all of Booth, Horton and Weiss will all have monster years. Now with Olli gone, they have no choice but to step up their game and with the type of coach Deboer is, I dont expect to see any of these half ass efforts anymore.

On defense, I am going to go with Bouw. If he is still here, I think he will increase in points from last year now that he really has alot of help. If not, I will go with Ballard.

Matthias on offense for me, although I do agree about B-W-H having to step up.

Boynton and Ballard on Defense. I think these two players are going to want to play hard for their new team and show the fans they were worth the trade for Olli.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

What do you guys think Frolik will do?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
On offense, my picks are Weiss and Olesz.

Weiss, who had good numbers in junior playing under De Boer, I think can be a 20/40 player next season.

Olesz, who can hopefully stay healthy, I am expecting to put up 20 goals and around 20-30 assists.

On the back end, I am very much so looking forward to seeing Ballard play and hopefully he will return to his 39 pt performance of 05-06, hopefully even surpass that.

My darkhorse up front would be Cory Stillman, who I think can put up 50 assists and would do wonders for Kreps and Olesz, which I think would be a solid 2nd line if Horton doesn't move back to center. Obviously, Mclean or even Matthias could end up centering that line, but that is yet to be decided.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Panthers_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
Name a player from the forwards and one from the defense and give a reason for each why
Beyond Expectations:
Forward: Horton, I think he could have a 35 goal year and around 70 points. (My expectations would be 30/30 for 60 points).
Defense: Welch, Doesn't get injured and does well enough to earn consistent spot on roster.

Disappointments:
Forward: Matthias, Gets 15-25 points at most (Depending if he plays whole season or not). Struggles to adjust to NHL game. Now 15-25 points isn't really a disappointment but considering how much people are hyping this guy to score 40-50 points and be our 1st line center by the end of the year... He should spend the year in the AHL, but I don't think Martin will do it. I could see his development getting stunted by being in the NHL this year.

Defense: Boynton, doesn't live up to cap number.

Last edited by Panthers_Fan: 07-08-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Offense-

Stephen Weiss break out year

24+52= 76 points

... I'm not all biased

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
At the forward spot, I have to go with Nate and Rusty. I have the feeling Nate is going to put up monster numbers this season. 35-40 goals is my prediction for him. If Rusty can stay healthy, I can see him putting up similar numbers to Booth last season, maybe a little more on the assist side.

On defense, if Bouw is still here, Im going with him. I think this is the season Bouw steps up and shows how good he really is, and Im going for broke here by saying he will be a possible Norris candidate this season.

Im interested to see what DeBoers has up his sleeve with this team. While we dont have the names that some of the better teams in the league have, we do have talent on this team. For the past few seasons, we have been waiting to see our talented youth step up and take control of this team. Maybe DeBoers is exactly the type of coach we need to get the most out of everyone. I think we can see our top two lines like so:

Sunrise Express
Olesz-Matthias-Stillman

If thats the case, then I would say Matty too at the forward spot. I think by surrounding him with a responsible forward in Rusty, and a playmaker in Stillman, he could really benefit. Im just anxious to see this teams scheme change from what we are all use to.

Last edited by pb1300: 07-08-2008 at 03:08 PM.
pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
The good: Olesz. I think his contract invigorates him and he plays the excellent 2-way game we all know he's capable of. I think he can pot 20 goals this season. He won't, of course, considering he's a Florida Panther and we are destined for mediocrity until the end of time, but whatever.

The bad: Matthias. He's being overhyped and people are expecting way too much out of him, and he should spend a season in the AHL.

The ugly: Boynton. Solid bottom pairing guy, but he's currently our highest paid defenseman.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Offense-

Stephen Weiss break out year

24+52= 76 points

... I'm not all biased
I've come to terms with the fact that Weiss will never put up more than 60 points. You should too.

Old
07-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I've come to terms with the fact that Weiss will never put up more than 60 points. You should too.
How can you say that??

Old
07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
How can you say that??
Because I live in America, and I'm protected by the first amendment. And I didn't really say it. I typed it.

Old
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
PanthersRule96

lmao.....Matthias "exceeding expectations?" Yea RIGHTTTT

Most people here expect him to be our first line center. If he fulfills 1/4th of all the projections and slottings on the top line, then he'll be a success for this season IMO.

I'd say Weiss will exceed expecations. Possibly Olesz as well, but only because my expectations of Olesz aren't incredibly high.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I'd venture to say that Boynton is going to be a guy that surprises all of you...he's on the last yr of his contract and it only benefits him to exceed expectations (so he can get a new, bigger contract and figuring that FL is not in playoff chase, will be traded to a contender at the deadline). BTW Clint, cap-wise, yes Boynton is the highest paid but technically salary-wise Allen and Van Ryn make more.

Sorry I dont see a forward on the roster that will exceed expecatations.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:54 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
How can you say that??

5 years of historical data suggests he is what he is..........

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Surprise: Olesz. I think he will have an amazing year.

Dissapointment: Either Boynton(its a 50/50) or Stillman.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Just have a feeling Weiss and Horton, Horton especially! I think with Olli gone and DeBoer to light a fire under his butt he will really turn into the player we want him to be.

I also have a feeling that if Noah Welch can stay healthy can have a pretty solid year.

Bold prediction of the offseason.... Repik is in lineup before Frolik!!!!

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I think Horton will have his best year and play the way he played in his rookie season under Deboer!!! You guys remember that rookie season where Horton was visibly the best player out on the ice for either team alot of times! I think Horton scores 45+ goals under Deboer!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:16 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Murphy was not the same player after the mystery injury so everyone forgets how efficient he looked at PP QB early in the season. Excellent vision. Nice, crisp passes. I predict a return to form in the offensive zone... (and sadly in the defensive one too).

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Murphy was not the same player after the mystery injury so everyone forgets how efficient he looked at PP QB early in the season. Excellent vision. Nice, crisp passes. I predict a return to form in the offensive zone... (and sadly in the defensive one too).
Well, if Murph makes it into the lineup as the 6 or 7 defencmen that's a pretty dangerous combo on the PP with him and Ballard on the point.
Now, I am not sure how much time Ballard has played on the PP in his time with Pho, but his Sportsnet player profile describes him as a PP quarterback. I have also been checking out some youtube videos of Ballard and wow he can really smash bodies around and has tremendous speed and knows when to jump into the play. Extremely excited about this guy!

Old
07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
The good: Olesz. I think his contract invigorates him and he plays the excellent 2-way game we all know he's capable of. I think he can pot 20 goals this season. He won't, of course, considering he's a Florida Panther and we are destined for mediocrity until the end of time, but whatever.

The bad: Matthias. He's being overhyped and people are expecting way too much out of him, and he should spend a season in the AHL.

The ugly: Boynton. Solid bottom pairing guy, but he's currently our highest paid defenseman.
And yes, Weiss is never going to be the offensive player he was in minors. You can't just pin it on DeBoer, either you can or you can't do it at this level. That being said, he can still be an effective 2-way player and net 10-20 goals. But I see Weiss as more of an assist guy than a goal scorer.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote