HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yahoo Offseason Power Rankings

Old
07-08-2008, 11:20 PM
marc88

vCash: 500
Yahoo Offseason Power Rankings

6. Montreal Canadiens – You get the feeling if Mats Sundin was going to sign here he would have done it by now. The Canadiens have tried and tried to recruit top veteran forwards the past several seasons but it is jut not happening. They’d love Teemu Selanne, too, but that’s not going to happen. In the meantime, Alex Tanguay is going to have to do. The Habs got tougher with the addition of Georges Laraque, and extending Maxim Lapierre came without a huge price tag. Montreal has only four core forwards signed past next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Philly is ahead of us

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:26 PM
usernam

Philly as 5th (2nd in East) is purely based on their success in the last playoffs. They won't be playing like this for 82 games next season...I agree with the Top 4 though.

and this sentence is ******** : "You get the feeling if Mats Sundin was going to sign here he would have done it by now."

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers – Philly isn’t content to pat itself on the back in reaching the conference finals a year after being the worst team in the league – it is all about winning the Cup – so the Flyers have been active even if they haven’t been making big headline-grabbing moves. A series of trades sent five players out and brought five in while five draft picks were acquired with four getting moved. The big signing was keeping restricted Jeff Carter at home for three years. Goaltending is something to keep an eye on. Is Martin Biron for real? He and backup Antero Niittymaki are set to become unrestricted free agents next summer.

OT game 7 win vs the Caps... Won the series against the Habs although they were dominated from A to Z.... They shouldn't have made the playoffs in the first place.

The top 10 actually makes sense, except for Philly and Minesota..

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
OT game 7 win vs the Caps... Won the series against the Habs although they were dominated from A to Z.... They shouldn't have made the playoffs in the first place.

The top 10 actually makes sense, except for Philly and Minesota..
I agree...Caps and Blackhawks are underrated a bit too, IMO.

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Turboflex*

I dunno why everyone's so high on Philly, they barely made the playoffs, barely beat Washington, and beat not too convincingly the Habs since Montreal outplayed them most games but Biron and Umberger put up career performances (assisted with Price's soft netminding). They got creamed once they hit a team with it's act together.

Not to just bash them like some homer, their offence is very good and will be even better with Gagne back, but their D and goaltending is still questionable...They'll be better than last year and should be a very entertaining team to watch but top 5 team in NHL is really stretching it. Top 10-15 would be fairer.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I dunno why everyone's so high on Philly, they barely made the playoffs, barely beat Washington, and beat not too convincingly the Habs since Montreal outplayed them most games but Biron and Umberger put up career performances (assisted with Price's soft netminding). They got creamed once they hit a team with it's act together.

Not to just bash them like some homer, their offence is very good and will be even better with Gagne back, but their D and goaltending is still questionable...They'll be better than last year and should be a very entertaining team to watch but top 5 team in NHL is stretching it.
after all... Umerger is gone and Biron is still a backup goalie

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

The best part is that the Habs are 6th, and Boston 15th. Most posters on the other board think that 15th is a pretty fair assessment, but think that they will own the Habs next year. I love cyclic homer logic. Perhaps they think the Habs should have been ranked lower, but in my opinion the Habs are a little better than last year's 1st place squad. Whether other teams improved more or not is valid, but half the conference certainly didn't zoom past due to off season manoeuvering.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
TheAntiprice*

Philly didn't beat us convincingly???
yeah I guess they should have swept us, which they would have done anyway if not for a broken stick...

don't be in denial, their goalie massively outplayed ours and we got our *** kicked

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

In my opinion, Pittsburgh got worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
yeah I guess they should have swept us, which they would have done anyway if not for a broken stick...

don't be in denial, their goalie massively outplayed ours and we got our *** kicked
As far as that series went;

Biron >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halak > Price.
Rest of Canadiens team >>> Rest of Flyers team.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
In my opinion, Pittsburgh got worse.

As far as that series went;

Biron >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halak > Price.
Rest of Canadiens team >>> Rest of Flyers team.
The goaltender is part of the team. The Flyers beat the Habs, it's upsetting, but it happened. Luck, luck, luck, I agree, there was luck, but their team beat our team!

The Habs got better though. They were an excellent team last year. Tanguay was added and lost Streit. The ones they lost other than Streit imo are non-factors. Add Mats to the team, yikes!

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 07:00 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post

I think it's safe to say that you are the second most delusional poster I have ever come across (right behind that guy who thought that Gretzky wasn't an NHL caliber player) but then again, I haven't heard your thoughts on that subject...

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 07:31 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post

Not to just bash them like some homer, their offence is very good and will be even better with Gagne back, but their D and goaltending is still questionable...They'll be better than last year and should be a very entertaining team to watch but top 5 team in NHL is really stretching it. Top 10-15 would be fairer.
They also lost Umberger the Price killer/hab killer, Biron was playing against MTL who he hates and is passionate about playing against, their team has some injury prone players and Briere hasn't put up record numbers on their team as of yet.

It's the type of thing, if they stay healthy and Biron plays at least above average(for biron), they'll easily be in the top 4 in the NHL. 1 bad injury, 1 stint of biron playing horribly, and they're really only a top 4 in the conference type team. (And when I say top 4, I really mean 4th period cause I don't see them owning their division, but I do see them owning the rest of the conference after their division)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 07:39 AM
neofury*

Underrated Teams:

Calgary
Chicago
Boston
Minnesota
Edmonton
San Jose(They should be switched with Dallas imo)
Nashville (I expect a repeat of last season Ellis FTW)

Overrated Teams
Dallas (All though I wouldn't say its not highly possible they could be 2nd overall, I just think this year is going to be a good year for SJ)
Anaheim (After their last dismil playoff performance looks to be on the decline, and perry and Morrison imo aren't the guys to simply turn that around)
Rangers (I just don't feel they'll be as strong as some people think. I think it'll take some time before they can click as a team but Redden was a nice aquisition. Naslund imo isn't a replacement for Jagr.)
Ottawa (I see them more of an 18th place team next year but not heavily overrated)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:03 AM
kernkraft

Hmmm, as I look around in the east, I'm not sure who will be able to compete with us apart from Pittsburgh. Ottawa seems to be heading downhill after many great seasons; the New York Islanders, Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, Buffalo Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins/Tampa Bay Lightning will most likely not make the playoffs.

So that leaves you with Philly, New York, New Jersey, Washington who are contenders for the east apart from us and Pittsburgh. Washington will absolutely win its division. The Pens should secure the Atlantic while I don't think think the Sens can compete with us for the Northeast. The Atlantic will be very competitive next year, I'm glad we're not in there. As I see it:

1 through 3
Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

4 through 6
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Rangers
New Jersey Devils

Just making the playoffs
Ottawa Senators
Boston/Tampa Bay

These are groups, I'm not gonna bother predicting the individual positions. But I think that this is a good approximation going in.

And by the way, I'm of the same idea for the Philly series. We hit so many posts and Philly got so many lucky/unlikely goals it's ridiculous. Price really looked like a rookie in those games (and I love the guy). However, the Kostitsyn brothers' behavior in the series showed that these guys won't be a problem come playoff time (especially Sergei who seems to thrive in that atmosphere).

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:33 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yahoo sucks.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Jeeze, when I first saw the ranking on this thread, I thought it was only for the eastern conference. Good thing the ranking is for the entire league.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Hmmm, as I look around in the east, I'm not sure who will be able to compete with us apart from Pittsburgh. Ottawa seems to be heading downhill after many great seasons; the New York Islanders, Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, Buffalo Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins/Tampa Bay Lightning will most likely not make the playoffs.

So that leaves you with Philly, New York, New Jersey, Washington who are contenders for the east apart from us and Pittsburgh. Washington will absolutely win its division. The Pens should secure the Atlantic while I don't think think the Sens can compete with us for the Northeast. The Atlantic will be very competitive next year, I'm glad we're not in there. As I see it:

1 through 3
Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

4 through 6
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Rangers
New Jersey Devils

Just making the playoffs
Ottawa Senators
Boston/Tampa Bay

These are groups, I'm not gonna bother predicting the individual positions. But I think that this is a good approximation going in.

And by the way, I'm of the same idea for the Philly series. We hit so many posts and Philly got so many lucky/unlikely goals it's ridiculous. Price really looked like a rookie in those games (and I love the guy). However, the Kostitsyn brothers' behavior in the series showed that these guys won't be a problem come playoff time (especially Sergei who seems to thrive in that atmosphere).
I can't believe you see Boston as a worse team than Ottawa.

Boston has stayed pretty much the same adding just Michael Ryder (who WILL score again play with Savard) and Bergeron returning to action.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:

Boston has stayed pretty much the same adding just Michael Ryder (who WILL score again play with Savard) and Bergeron returning to action.
It's really not a lock that Boston will be better than Ottawa. I think both positions can easily be debated.

Boston was somewhat lucky to make the playoffs last year...they allowed 10 more goals than they scored. They also got a ton of loser points (12!!!). They still don't have the legit puck moving defenceman that every good team in the NHL needs. Who really knows how effective Bergeron will be after missing nearly a full year?

I could easily see Boston missing the playoffs.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Travis Moen

Montreal will still battle for a playoff spot. Last year we didn't get any bad sequence. One bad spell and we might not have made the playoffs. In fact, if we had lost 2 games against Boston, we would have had the same amount of points...

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
kernkraft

Quote:

Come on man, you didn't bother to read all I wrote. I said that I split up the Conference into groups, I didn't say which team was going to end where in those groups.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Montreal will still battle for a playoff spot. Last year we didn't get any bad sequence. One bad spell and we might not have made the playoffs. In fact, if we had lost 2 games against Boston, we would have had the same amount of points...
Around Christmas time we had another bad spell again this past year and lots of people were thinking it was going to be the deja vu all over again and we weren't going to make the playoffs just like the previous year.

The East has got even weaker this off-season and if the Habs are unable to finish in the top 4 in the East then their regular season should be considered a failure.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Around Christmas time we had another bad spell again this past year and lots of people were thinking it was going to be the deja vu all over again and we weren't going to make the playoffs just like the previous year.

The East has got even weaker this off-season and if the Habs are unable to finish in the top 4 in the East then their regular season should be considered a failure.
How many consecutives games did we lose? 3? We didn't get any bad spell last year. We didn't have any major injury. Kovalev performed the whole season which is not something we should take for granted.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yahoo sucks.
Except for their fantasy leagues, yes.

I luuuuv Y! Fantasy Hockey.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I don't understand how you can rank a team that hasn't even had a training camp this summer yet, not to mention all the trade moves that are possible especially with Sundin still undecided. It just makes no sense.

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Darz

....and last year every so called expert had the habs finishing around 13th, so that shows how much you should listen to the experts.