HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

This Kalinin dude........

Old
07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Malakhov.2, huh?

Why don't we let him play at least ten games before putting him in Malik status. Jeez...

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Fletch

Let's take a step back...

he's on a third pair (I believe). He will be playing against third and fourth lines. The expectations should be lower than in, say, Buffalo. If he doesn't work out, he will be replaced with the 7th defenseman, or a Hartford call-up. He was signed because he was an available vet who can be had at a price the Rangers could afford given their cap situation. The Rangers weren't ready to leave that spot open for a kid. But if Kalinin sucks, it may open for that kid and Kalinin will play sporadically and not everyday. I'm not excited about Kalinin as I had hoped for some sort of physical presence on the blueline, but at the same time I'm not down on the signing since it doesn't mean a heck of a lot (or at least as of now I don't believe it does). Heck, this team was fine with Strudwick in that role.

And looking at his stats, it is inevitable he will be Rangers fans' whipping boy: 24 hits in 46 games; 25 giveaways and 9 takeaways (of course that ratio is not uncommon to Buffalo defensemen and forwards; Lydman had 83 giveaways and 18 takeaways, for example). I don't trust those stats typically, but they are sort of a barometer.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Vergilius

Another perspective from a Buffalo fan:

I see some comparisons of Kalinin to Malik and I can tell you that Dmitri is a better d-man than Malik. A lot of Buffalo fans got on Dmitri because he wasn't what he should have been, that is, a top pairing d-man. Kalinin has first pairing talent; there is no doubt about that. The problem with him is his inconsistency. There have been stretches where he looked like an All-Star, played 24 minutes a night and worked all special teams. Then there were stretches where he coughed up the puck, looked lost and icetime was dropped to 15 minutes or less. The main problem with Tree is that he is mentally fragile. When he is on, he's your best d-man (and I'm not exaggerating); when he's off, he needs his ass nailed to the bench.

Positives to his game: good speed, can jump up into the play effectively, will use his body for positioning, can be used in any situation

Negatives: mentally fragile, inconsistent (lacking passion?), doesn't take criticism well.

The last negative, I think, can be attributed to Lindy Ruff. Now I still think Lindy is one of the best coaches out there (and no one will change my mind about that), but he has, at times, torn Kalinin apart and basically embarassed him in front of his mates. I have never seen Lindy do this to any other player he's ever had. Perhaps he just lost it with a player who has SO MUCH talent, but refused to regularly use it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Vergilius: 07-09-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling error
Vergilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Blueblood 2

It must be July. Worry about a "Kalinin Dude" in one thread and looking to pick up Luke the Lampost Richardson in another!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Tri is famous for "clearing the crease" right on top of his goaltender.
If he clears the crease at all it's an improvement over what we've had the past few seasons imo.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:47 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

IMO a worthwhile risk for a 6th defenseman on a team loaded with talent on the blueline. If he doesn't work out, the other five are all more than capable of playing extra minutes to cover for him - and 3 guys in the minors who could be ready to play by midseason. If he does work out... wow, what a strength our D will be.

And - I think a factor that everyone's overlooking: he gives Zherdev a Russian teammate, which I think will be good for both players (as will playing near Brighton Beach).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Sounds like the second coming of Bobo Mironov to me...

That said, Krispy Kreme really wasn't that bad for us.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
looks like we exchanged Tuytin for Kalinin.....both with unconfirmed upside. At least
Toots was trying to hit people.

What is the financial pick up on this?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:13 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Someone has to be the goat. Its just the way it is. Its part of the whole rooting for a team day in day out.

The team never loses because the other team was just better faster stronger. They lose because one of our players is the worst guy on the ice, ever.

Someones always the goat. In MSG do seem to like to pick on the D men. Maybe thats easy because their every mistakes can be SO COSTLY.

Heres a tip new guy for getting on the fans good side:

Visible hustle and hard work = +1

Throw some board rattling body checks = +1

Personal grudges against Devils or Islanders played out on the ice = +2

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
BklyNYR4Life

man, I'm glad to see they actually bother playing hockey. cause with all the experts here, you'd think it's all been done already

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
looks like we exchanged Tuytin for Kalinin.....both with unconfirmed upside. At least
Toots was trying to hit people.

What is the financial pick up on this?
More like Tyutin for Zherdev in my eyes.

Lets watch this guy play before we get on his ass.

Everyone was ready to kill Roszival when the Rangers signed him, oft injured... inconsistent...

You never know what a change in scenery can do.

but this guy is the least of our worries. The real question is what will Redden, Naslund and Zherdev bring every night...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
u8mylife47

I may be wrong, but I was fairly certain that Kalinin was a top pairing defenseman on this year's gold medal Russia team at the World Championships.

He played extremely well, looked like an all-star at times.

Like someone said earlier, his consistency could be his biggest problem.

u8mylife47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Roszival better have an allstar season every single year of his ridiculous contract or he is never going to finish hearing it from me. Having said that Kalinin has talent but he doesn't use it. He is Cristian Backman but not as soft. And Backman probably makes less mistakes than he does which should scare you silly. I don't know if the Rangers think they can fix garbage. They always think so and never do anyways.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Celestial Black

I hope he plays well here, but I can also very easily see him and Rozi starting tons of threads about them being on the team.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
Roszival better have an allstar season every single year of his ridiculous contract or he is never going to finish hearing it from me. Having said that Kalinin has talent but he doesn't use it. He is Cristian Backman but not as soft. And Backman probably makes less mistakes than he does which should scare you silly. I don't know if the Rangers think they can fix garbage. They always think so and never do anyways.
there are worse contracts on this team than Rosy. Redden, Drury come to mind as the two worst. i hope you give it to them as well. Gomez' could even be considered as worse. For a #2 or #3 dman his contract is a little high but really i think they got his contract dead on. he did deserve most of it.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Funny, because a lot of press are saying how good Rozsivals contract is, considering the crop of UFA Defenseman he was in this July.

But i agree... It sucks you have to pay the man that much to keep him, and he better shoot the puck now.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Long long long summer.......

I have NO problems with Kalinen, he's a good Dman, not gonna get that many minutes where he'll be that much of a factor anyway.

Is it October yet?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
That's really not fair. In todays day and age, that's what people of his talent are getting paid. He may have got slightly under or slightly more but I'm willing to bet that other teams would have offered him similar/or even did offer him similar (didn't know if so - didn't care to see).

Rozsival's contract is looked as bad I think due to our cap situation of having $31M invested in 5 players for the long-term. Is this team going to run into cap trouble eventually when Staal, Dubi, Girardi, etc.. need raises? Yes, probably, but the time will come for that.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
NYR Viper

kalinin IMO will work well in this system......he is a solid overall defenseman, inconsistent at times however i think in the system the rangers have his mistakes will be covered up and with hank between the pipes that will help as well.....the one thing is thatkalinin had a couple of his best years of his career when drury was the captain of the sabres......coincidence?.........

he has great, great skill, hits and clears the crease.....he needs to work on his positioning in front of the net(as someone else said) and needs to play a more simple game at some times but he definatley is still raw......if renney can harness his skill and simplify some parts of his game he is a legit top-pairing defense(no joke), if renney can not and kalinin has a few bad games at the garden before he plays a few good ones he will be the new malik

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
NYR Viper

i have no problem with rozsivals contract.....souray, hamrlik are
1) older
2) more one-dimensional defenseman
3) are either paid the same or more than him.....i would take rozsival over both of those players

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

And - I think a factor that everyone's overlooking: he gives Zherdev a Russian teammate, which I think will be good for both players (as will playing near Brighton Beach).
I don't think anyone is overlooking this, because Zherdev isn't Russian.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I'm sorry but Roszival is definitely the most OVERRATED Ranger of ALL TIME. Seriously. I don't know what player some of you people have been watching the last 3 years. Because it is not a 5 m a year player under a cap system. By far he is not worth that money. And to be honest, DRURY and REDDEN and even Gomez are all overpaid, but i havent seen enough of them to kill them just yet. I've seen enough of Roszival. Talk about a wasted shot. A hard and most of all Accurate shot that he refuses to use. An "offensive" defenseman who doesn't shoot the puck even if the net is wide open in front of him and a guy who is mediocre in his own end and who ALWAYS gets pushed around. He is not worth 5 million. And now that Malik is gone he deserves to be the new punching bag based on his contract. Man I was celebrating that he was a fa and probably gone but the Rangers just had to do something stupid.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I'm sorry but Roszival is definitely the most OVERRATED Ranger of ALL TIME. Seriously. I don't know what player some of you people have been watching the last 3 years. Because it is not a 5 m a year player under a cap system. By far he is not worth that money. And to be honest, DRURY and REDDEN and even Gomez are all overpaid, but i havent seen enough of them to kill them just yet. I've seen enough of Roszival. Talk about a wasted shot. A hard and most of all Accurate shot that he refuses to use. An "offensive" defenseman who doesn't shoot the puck even if the net is wide open in front of him and a guy who is mediocre in his own end and who ALWAYS gets pushed around. He is not worth 5 million. And now that Malik is gone he deserves to be the new punching bag based on his contract. Man I was celebrating that he was a fa and probably gone but the Rangers just had to do something stupid.
i agree id rather keep tyutin let rozsival walk and use the 5 mil for a scorer. but i do like the zherdev trade although ill miss tyutin's hip checks. something rozsival never does

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i agree id rather keep tyutin let rozsival walk and use the 5 mil for a scorer. but i do like the zherdev trade although ill miss tyutin's hip checks. something rozsival never does
Didnt he just have hip surgery!???

I've been wondering for years, what medical conditions do you suffer from? I'm not trying to be funny, I seriously would like to know.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I think his saving graces are 1) clears the crease (according to a poster) 2) actually hits 3) actually fights. If he's out there punch dudes in the head, well everyone loves a good ole hockey fight.

His weakpoints sound like he's prone to Malik brain farts, isn't very smart, has trouble clearing the zone (Ranger fans should not be new to this), and has trouble keeping the puck in.

If he can skate and pass, this is definite a vast improvement over Malik. It's like getting a Malik who will check and fight!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote