HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niko Zherdev - A Ranger "Highlight Reel - Preview/Montage" [VID/YT#1]

Old
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
cbj21

vCash: 500
Im going to miss Z so much .. he is such a great player, friggen unbelievable sometimes. His attitude is 100% changed from previous years, no longer a liability. Even played SH when needed last season.
So long Z and you will do great in blue ..

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Yellot00tr

is that really the consensus amongs BJ fans-that his attitude is drastically improved?

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:34 PM
TheZherdev

Has Zherdev spoke out since being traded? I want to hear his thoughts about being a ranger and going to a team that can surround him with talent. I was a little worried about his comments on BB where he said after playing his first game at the garden he didnt like how the fans booed their own team at times.

But we havent heard one thing from him yet. You kind could tell what players are thinking even if they are being cliche. Like Naslund you could really tell he wants to regain his form and really believes he can. He wants to win. From Redden's interview it was a litttle less apparent.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellot00tr View Post
is that really the consensus amongs BJ fans-that his attitude is drastically improved?
It was, until he was traded.

The only thing last season that people can point at as a possible indication of a "relapse" is how he struggled after the All-Star break. But as I've said time and time again, the whole team struggled: It's only because he is who he is that the assumption is his problems were simple laziness, or something similar. My own theory, and it's a concern, is he was gassed. He started coming back later in the season, however.

I don't recall any reports of any behind-the-scenes troubles last season. We've already linked those articles about some of his attitude changes. There were no articles about relapses that I recall, and our media has never been shy about writing negative bits of information about Zherdev, believe me. In fact, had there been more problems, they would have reveled in being able to write more about them after he was traded.

Yes, there are questions about his future, but it'd be hard for anyone to point at last season as a viable reason for asking most of those questions.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Has Zherdev spoke out since being traded? I want to hear his thoughts about being a ranger and going to a team that can surround him with talent. I was a little worried about his comments on BB where he said after playing his first game at the garden he didnt like how the fans booed their own team at times.

But we havent heard one thing from him yet. You kind could tell what players are thinking even if they are being cliche. Like Naslund you could really tell he wants to regain his form and really believes he can. He wants to win. From Redden's interview it was a litttle less apparent.
Only comments I know of come through his agent, since Z's over in Russia. They're in the second half of his article (it's the usual stuff):

http://columbusdispatch.com/live/con...7.html?sid=101

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:16 PM
cbj21

I just don't why the Jackets had to trade Z for what? They could have build defense through FA's.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:07 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
I just don't why the Jackets had to trade Z for what? They could have build defense through FA's.
All things aside, you guys will like tyut's alot. He's unbelievable consistent. Once I realized he wasn't going to be a brian leetch and my expectations became reasonable, I noticed that I was never noticing tyutin on the ice. I dont know about you, but if I never notice one of my defenseman on the ice its a good thing. Sure I'd love some more points or some crushing hits, but he does his job consistently, rarely did i ever find myself blaming a goal on him. He's still young, so he'll still mature and grow, he could be a mainstay on your blueline for another decade...If we didnt need a winger desperatley I would have been sad about this trade...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:14 PM
DontStaal

That toe drag at 1:28 is what I cant wait to see in Ranger blue

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:43 PM
fes

Anyone know what song that is in the the video n8 posted?[/QUOTE]

Motorcycle-as the rush comes (chill out Mix)

love that title for a zherdev video, especially for that end to end rush he does at min 3

fes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
That toe drag at 1:28 is what I cant wait to see in Ranger blue
That toe drag is a move that Jackets fans grew to have a love/hate relationship with. When it worked, oftentimes it left you staring slack-jawed in amazement at Z's skilled finesse. When it didn't work (which, for a while, was more often than not), it left you cursing as the other team forced a turnover and play moved back down to the wrong end of the ice.

That being said, Zherdev was my favorite player and I'm very much going to miss his presence on our team. It was fun watching him progress from the rip-your-hair-put frustrating Nik from two seasons ago to the guy that last year gave up a hat-trick and instead passed to his offensive partner on the ice, and the guy that sacrificed his body making a critical shot-block in the last seconds of a game against Vancouver. He may have still had his issues, but he seemed to be settling in and becoming much more of a team player. I wish him all the luck in New York.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:17 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Just adding some info, so all of you don't have to go digging for it.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/01/ scroll down to the Zherdev, Christian, Podcasts, and more (Jan 16th)

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/03/ scroll down to Q&A with Nik Zherdev (March 2nd)

During a pregame show on TV (I can't remember whether it was 06/07 or 07/08), Nik did an interview through an interpreter. He spent most of the time staring at his shoes.

I think this is one reason why some Columbus fans had a problem with Zherdev. He basically never made himself available to the public at all. There was no "connection" between Z and the fans.

Don't be surprised if you don't ever see or hear anything about how he feels about the trade.

He is obviously extremely talented, and I hope (for your team's sake and Nik's) that he becomes comfortable (at ease, not lazy) in New York very quickly.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Marty is crapping his pants right now, In one of the videos on youtube Zherdev makes Brodeur look like a chump. Comes in along the boards loads up a wrister Marty thinks it's going top shelf glove side, Z shoots it on the ice stick side to score. Very impressive the way Zherdev sees the game and in a split second adapts. Very nice shot and release. I'm excited to see him in NY.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
Marty is crapping his pants right now, In one of the videos on youtube Zherdev makes Brodeur look like a chump. Comes in along the boards loads up a wrister Marty thinks it's going top shelf glove side, Z shoots it on the ice stick side to score. Very impressive the way Zherdev sees the game and in a split second adapts. Very nice shot and release. I'm excited to see him in NY.

Hey if we are judging players on how they look on youtube then yeah this guy was a great idea too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLLvpN6F10k&NR=1

Hey watch this goal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAlj...eature=related

I hate to be the one who rains on the parade, but I am very cautious when we get russians labeled with bad attitudes. I'm just trying to remind everyone of all the hype this guy had coming here when he was supposed to make Marty look like a chump. (BTW the guy that made him look like a chump most we let walk for 700k.)

Anyhow before you think think "Bure" remember "Kamensky"

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Hey if we are judging players on how they look on youtube then yeah this guy was a great idea too.

Hey watch this goal!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...eature=related

I hate to be the one who rains on the parade, but I am very cautious when we get russians labeled with bad attitudes. I'm just trying to remind everyone of all the hype this guy had coming here when he was supposed to make Marty look like a chump. (BTW the guy that made him look like a chump most we let walk for 700k.)

Anyhow before you think think "Bure" remember "Kamensky"
Really what you see on youtube isn't what you always get? Crazy thanks for letting me know. I don't think I said he was going to replace anyone or live up to any expectations, just that he has impressive offensive upside and i'm excited to see him.

WHO THE **** AM I TO BRING OPTIMISM TO THESE BOARDS??? how dare I.

Not to mention that Zherdev is 11 years younger than Kamensky when we got him. Everyone has issues of some sort, if he doesn't work them out then what did we lose? Tyutin and 3.25M for 1 year? Uh oh. If he does work them out we have a premiere talent if we sign him to a contract after this season.

Last edited by Barbara Underhill: 07-08-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Great vid Loff, can't wait for the season

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
Really what you see on youtube isn't what you always get? Crazy thanks for letting me know. I don't think I said he was going to replace anyone or live up to any expectations, just that he has impressive offensive upside and i'm excited to see him.

WHO THE **** AM I TO BRING OPTIMISM TO THESE BOARDS??? how dare I.

Not to mention that Zherdev is 11 years younger than Kamensky when we got him. Everyone has issues of some sort, if he doesn't work them out then what did we lose? Tyutin and 3.25M for 1 year? Uh oh. If he does work them out we have a premiere talent if we sign him to a contract after this season.
So he is younger what does that mean? Bad attitude is a bad attitude. Kamensky came in as a Stanley Cup champ.

I see a ton of pressure already being put on this kid and he's been here a week. People have him slotted in the top spot already. With a guy who is labeled like he has been so far, i'm not sure this is the best way for him to thrive here.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:54 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

that video that n8 posted was hot...because i like that mix so much...Everyones videos are really cool, i really hope he is explosive here

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Edge

Zherdev comes with his share of risks, make no mistake. If he didn't, he would have cost A LOT more.

Having said, inconsistencies and warts aside for a second, we seem to overlook all too easily that this is a kid who scored 27 goals as a 21-year-old and 26 as a 23-year-old. So it's not like this kid has a bunch of talent and no results to show for it.

One thing that hasn't been pointed out is that in his entire stay in Columbus, to the best of my knowledge, they never once had a center score more than 45 points.

Not saying that was the only reason for Zherdev's production, but Zherdev hasn't exactly been playing for a hockey powerhouse either.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Great vid Loff, can't wait for the season
Thanks man.

I hope Niko breaks-out in NY with a monster season. Can't wait to see this kid.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
bogans

I have watched a great deal of Columbus games because I am totally enamored with Rick Nash and have seen a lot of Nik Zherdev. The kid is super talented and I think Renney might be the right type of coach for him, because he does play smart defensively, although sometimes too quick to get out into the offensive zone. New YOrk and the bright lights might do this kid well and if he reaches his potential it is almost limitless.

That said, could anybody see him on a line with Drury and Callahan? Gomer rushes the puck better than just about anybody else in the league. Zherdev is close behind him in that category and the two might not suit each other well. I could see him being paired with Drury for defensive consciousness and being in the right place for rebounds and Callahan to rush the net and stay with him while he dangles, providing some screens and deflections. In my head, this line just works so damn well its ridiculous.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I think this is one reason why some Columbus fans had a problem with Zherdev. He basically never made himself available to the public at all. There was no "connection" between Z and the fans.

Don't be surprised if you don't ever see or hear anything about how he feels about the trade.

He is obviously extremely talented, and I hope (for your team's sake and Nik's) that he becomes comfortable (at ease, not lazy) in New York very quickly.
I personally don't give a damn if he ever gives a single interview, as long as he lights it up on the ice. I guess some people would find that annoying, but it seems like the guy is quite shy and doesn't really have the personality for the public relations stuff. And like I said, that's fine with me. He's not getting paid to talk to the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
So he is younger what does that mean? Bad attitude is a bad attitude. Kamensky came in as a Stanley Cup champ.

I see a ton of pressure already being put on this kid and he's been here a week. People have him slotted in the top spot already. With a guy who is labeled like he has been so far, i'm not sure this is the best way for him to thrive here.
It doesn't sound like he really has a bad attitude. Kamensky had a bad attitude because he was just plain lazy and didn't care. THat doesn't seem to be the case with Zherdev.

Also, why wouldn't we want him on the 1st line? Who else is going to play that RW spot? Who is best suited for it? I don't think it's putting any kind of unnecessary pressure on him, it's just giving him the icetime he'll need to do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
I have watched a great deal of Columbus games because I am totally enamored with Rick Nash and have seen a lot of Nik Zherdev. The kid is super talented and I think Renney might be the right type of coach for him, because he does play smart defensively, although sometimes too quick to get out into the offensive zone. New YOrk and the bright lights might do this kid well and if he reaches his potential it is almost limitless.

That said, could anybody see him on a line with Drury and Callahan? Gomer rushes the puck better than just about anybody else in the league. Zherdev is close behind him in that category and the two might not suit each other well. I could see him being paired with Drury for defensive consciousness and being in the right place for rebounds and Callahan to rush the net and stay with him while he dangles, providing some screens and deflections. In my head, this line just works so damn well its ridiculous.
yeah, Renney seems to be the type of coach who could do well with a shy, young player. He'll work with him closely to help him out.

As for who he'll be playing with...I don't know. I seem to be getting conflicting reports on what his best assets are. Is he a goal scorer? A playmaker? Both? If he's more of a goalscorer, he should play with Gomez. If he's more of a playmaker, he should play with Drury and help set those up. The problem with him playing with Drury if he's a goalscorer, in my opinion, is that Drury isn't really the type of player that creates opportunities for his linemates. He's usually the one cashing in on opportunities, not the one making brilliant passes or drawing the defense away, etc etc.

So, I'd go with that criteria...and if Zherdev is equally adept at both, then I guess you could use him with either one

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
yeah, Renney seems to be the type of coach who could do well with a shy, young player. He'll work with him closely to help him out.

As for who he'll be playing with...I don't know. I seem to be getting conflicting reports on what his best assets are. Is he a goal scorer? A playmaker? Both? If he's more of a goalscorer, he should play with Gomez. If he's more of a playmaker, he should play with Drury and help set those up. The problem with him playing with Drury if he's a goalscorer, in my opinion, is that Drury isn't really the type of player that creates opportunities for his linemates. He's usually the one cashing in on opportunities, not the one making brilliant passes or drawing the defense away, etc etc.

So, I'd go with that criteria...and if Zherdev is equally adept at both, then I guess you could use him with either one
Zherdev is a creator, but often creates for himself. He's a two way player, who likes to skate the puck out of his own zone and beat guys on his own a great deal. He creates a ton of garbage opportunities for other people as often he will get it deep into the zone and either cant get a shot off or gets off weak shots that may let up rebounds. I am thinking about it in my head, and two guys who can finish, be in the right place at the right time and crash the net seem perfect for him to play, which is why I say Cally and Drury. Then the first line would be Gomer with Dru and Dawes who are both superb finishers. That is if either Nassy or Dawesy could shift to the right. But it would be perfect in my mind.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

The kid can play, that's for sure. He did solid with Nash... but might do better with a Gomez. I could see the two of them playing well together.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:39 AM
CBJSlash

Honestly we compared him to a young Kovalev for years... something you Ranger fans can relate to. Kovalev turned out okay though.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote