HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Blues sign Bernier to offer sheet, Van matches.

Old
07-09-2008, 11:46 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I really have a problem with that...they're not just F with their own caps, they're F with every teams caps.

Tendering offers to RFA's are part of the game, but when you're doing it purely out of spite, it's bush league IMO
St.Louis acted within the rules, we can make all the assumptions we want, in fact we can make a case that Vancouver had to believe StL would match. Due to Vancouver exercising their option, a young guy is overpaid, now there's 2. I'd bet 25 Gm's want to high five JD and Pleau, most probably JD as I believe he took the reins on this.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
St.Louis acted within the rules, we can make all the assumptions we want, in fact we can make a case that Vancouver had to believe StL would match. Due to Vancouver exercising their option, a young guy is overpaid, now there's 2. I'd bet 25 Gm's want to high five JD and Pleau, most probably JD as I believe he took the reins on this.
I know St-Louis acted within the rules...but come on McPhee

You don't think Pleau, and especially JD, we're a little ticked off at Vancouver for going after Backes, which prompted them to tender an offer to Bernier?

I'm not saying that St-Louis wouldn't of been interested in Bernier, i'm sure they would, but they knew Vancouver would match and would have to give him a raise, just like they had to with Backes

It's the intention of the offer sheet fromm St-Louis that I didn't like...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I know St-Louis acted within the rules...but come on McPhee

You don't think Pleau, and especially JD, we're a little ticked off at Vancouver for going after Backes, which prompted them to tender an offer to Bernier?

I'm not saying that St-Louis wouldn't of been interested in Bernier, i'm sure they would, but they knew Vancouver would match and would have to give him a raise, just like they had to with Backes

It's the intention of the offer sheet fromm St-Louis that I didn't like...
Guess we just disagree. I'm not a big fan of the offer sheet unless there are some circumstances. Vancouver simply 'wanted' the player. Well the result of their action has an effect on St.L. and I have no issue with St.L. making sure that the party that started the ball rolling would be in the same situation.

We don't have to agree, I just think it's quid pro quo which is just me using Latin in AD's absence, with no idea if I'm using it correctly.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Guess we just disagree. I'm not a big fan of the offer sheet unless there are some circumstances. Vancouver simply 'wanted' the player. Well the result of their action has an effect on St.L. and I have no issue with St.L. making sure that the party that started the ball rolling would be in the same situation.

We don't have to agree, I just think it's quid pro quo which is just me using Latin in AD's absence, with no idea if I'm using it correctly.
It's not even that I disagree...I totally get what you're saying, it's just seeing guys like Backes and Bernier (despite their potential) making 2.5M just freaks me out and I don't like how it bodes for other players coming off entry deals. Like a friend of mine said to me today, The rate of inflation in the NHL has completely wiped out whatever fiscal discipline the cap was supposed to encourage.

You know, I can just picture it...we'll be sitting here at this time next year talking about the 2.5M + Guillaume Latendresse just got for another 30-35pt season...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
AH

Backes > Bernier.

Backes has the better chance of playing up to that contract than Bernier, otherwise known as the Fat Pig since his draft combines.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
seeing guys like Backes and Bernier (despite their potential) making 2.5M just freaks me out and I don't like how it bodes for other players coming off entry deals. Like a friend of mine said to me today, The rate of inflation in the NHL has completely wiped out whatever fiscal discipline the cap was supposed to encourage.
The cap still remains. It's a global inflation control measure.

As for Backes and Bernier, they are two interesting big offensive forwards with years ahead of them.

Pre-lockout, we saw young players' salaries artificially kept low because of a costly compensation grid. Now, those players are getting a huge salary bump.

I don't see anything wrong with signing a player to an offer sheet. You're in full control of what you are doing and only utilizing the CBA as written. And all this talk of "karma" is just crap. You're also in full control of the decision to match or not to match.

The only team you can screw in this system is yours. You just need to judge numbers and shouldn't worry about other teams.

As for inflation, the only number that matters is the cap.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote