HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This Kalinin dude........

Old
07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
[QUOTE=Bluenote13;14807363]Didnt he just have hip surgery!???

I've been wondering for years, what medical conditions do you suffer from? I'm not trying to be funny, I seriously would like to know.[/
QUOTE]

umm before he had hip surgery, he was never a physical player. he is solid top 4 dman but not physical although he can be at times but never consistant at this.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
I'm sorry but Roszival is definitely the most OVERRATED Ranger of ALL TIME. Seriously. I don't know what player some of you people have been watching the last 3 years. Because it is not a 5 m a year player under a cap system. By far he is not worth that money. And to be honest, DRURY and REDDEN and even Gomez are all overpaid, but i havent seen enough of them to kill them just yet. I've seen enough of Roszival. Talk about a wasted shot. A hard and most of all Accurate shot that he refuses to use. An "offensive" defenseman who doesn't shoot the puck even if the net is wide open in front of him and a guy who is mediocre in his own end and who ALWAYS gets pushed around. He is not worth 5 million. And now that Malik is gone he deserves to be the new punching bag based on his contract. Man I was celebrating that he was a fa and probably gone but the Rangers just had to do something stupid.
Rozy 3 years ago was praised and played absolutely brilliantly for us. For some reason I am having a brain fart and can't remember his play two seasons ago, which I guess can't be all that bad. Last season he started out on fire but cooled off about midway through (along w/ Girardi, and Tyutin).

But now remember he was injured last year. he should be healthy now. that means he should play better.

No more Jagr. As much as I hate that we lost Jagr, rosy will benefit from it the most as he will not default to him anymore. Expect him shoot, and score more on this PP. His #'s will be higher than last year.

And also he isn't being looked to as a #1 dman anymore. This is the biggest thing. he was never a #1 dman, but we played him as one. It wasn't fair to him but he made the most of it, and handled it better than any of the other dmen we have/had could have at that time. he at up minutes, was constantly up against teams top lines, put up good points, and also put up a good +/-. i don't know what more you could ask for. Now he will be paired w/ Redden on pairing, or Staal on the second pairing both will ease some pressure off him and get him in a role at which he is truly made for.

so lay off the rose. he's gonna surprise and impress alot of people this year.

pick on drury, or prucha, or redden. they all deserve it. and Prucha is the most overrated Ranger ever. People want to give him more chances than a Monopoly game b/c of 1 1/2 good seasons.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

[QUOTE=RCallahan43;14807653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Didnt he just have hip surgery!???

I've been wondering for years, what medical conditions do you suffer from? I'm not trying to be funny, I seriously would like to know.[/
QUOTE]

umm before he had hip surgery, he was never a physical player. he is solid top 4 dman but not physical although he can be at times but never consistant at this.
So basically you just answered your own statement, if he never did it to begin with why are you getting on his case for not using it? Youre asking an apple to be an orange, not gonna happen. And that doesnt make him useless.

I'm not a huge Rozsileetch fan by and stretch, but i understand what makes him a valuable player to a team, and you should too after these last few years.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
SaveByLundqvist

kalinin hasn't played a game in a ranger jersey yet, lets not make him a scapegoat already. Wasn't he injured alot last season? maybe he'll play better this season. On another note, I'm hoping that our fanbase doesn't make one of our new players (Kalinin, Redden) a boo bird, I'm getting sick of going to games and hearing the crowd boo one of our guys, how is that gonna make them want to put a good effort forth on the ice for us.

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
kalinin hasn't played a game in a ranger jersey yet, lets not make him a scapegoat already. Wasn't he injured alot last season? maybe he'll play better this season. On another note, I'm hoping that our fanbase doesn't make one of our new players (Kalinin, Redden) a boo bird, I'm getting sick of going to games and hearing the crowd boo one of our guys, how is that gonna make them want to put a good effort forth on the ice for us.
well put. very well put.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:18 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Vitto,

Not sure what about my statement is negative. Renney's 5 in a box system will minimize his mistakes, and I meant he'll be on the third pairing, and not responsible for other team's top lines.
Am I going crazy or did they not say that the system was going to be changed?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think his saving graces are 1) clears the crease (according to a poster) 2) actually hits 3) actually fights.
Kalinin?

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/761

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Am I going crazy or did they not say that the system was going to be changed?

They said up tempo, transition, speed, puck posession type game. Renney never said he was going to give up his defensive responibilty type game. They just expect to generate more offense, faster, in transition, after we gain control of the puck. If Renney refused to give up his style for Jagr, he certainly isn't going to do it now that JJ went to Omsk.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
For some reason I am having a brain fart and can't remember his play two seasons ago, which I guess can't be all that bad. .
2 seasons ago rosy was just good during the regular season but then turned it up a notch or 2 against both atlanta and buffalo...while playing through injury no less.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Everyone was ready to kill Roszival when the Rangers signed him, oft injured... inconsistent...

You never know what a change in scenery can do.
I'm thinking back to post-lockout Rozsival when I think of Kalinin. Rozy was a freakin' disaster in Pittsburgh and it defied most of us that he was not only signed, but welded to the first pairing. He went on to make good strides that year despite some pretty iffy play, and over the course of three seasons, became the Rangers top d-man and undisputed TOI leader. I'm not saying I'm in love with the guy, but he went from project to critical component in short order under Renney.

Kalinin comes in with a much better resume than Rozsival ever had and will be put into a role he can succeed in. I willing to bet he exceeds expectations.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Some false info in this thread.

I've watched every game that Kalinin has played in the NHL and many in the AHL.

When Kalinin first broke into the league he was highly touted. Franchise defensemen tag was placed on him by a few people inside the club. Any mistakes he made during his first season were made to come back to haunt him for whatever reason. As another poster said this is the only player I have seen Lindy Ruff do this to. I feel that they wanted to groom Kalinin to be a jack of all trades defensemen and very good at all aspects. I'm talking Pronger type caliber. For a kid just turning 20 and coming to America on his own will and want to play in the NHL I think this really killed his mentality. He was not groomed along like Buffalo does now (possibly the best in the league). He was thrown to the wolves and any mistakes were seemingly drilled into his head.

Kalinin was a very good defensemen for us in 2003-2004. He was left alone and allowed to play and given a large roll down the strect as our #1 defenseman. He was probably top 30 in the league as far as overall play was. Alexei Zhitnik really helped groom him a long but that was his last year for Buffalo. After that year though he really seemed to get jerked around. He had to be more offensive, then he had to be more defensive, then he had to be a bruising defensive. No one could make up their mind and just let him play.

What he does:
Shoots and passes from the point very well. I doubt he sees any PP time for the Rangers but he has a nice low shot at varying speeds. A really nice slap pass as well.

Has good mobility. He can rush the puck up the ice but was never given the green light to do so it felt to me.

Puts up points in limited situations. If he plays near 82 games he's almost a lock for 5-10 goals and 25-30 assists. Because his shooting and passing in the offensive zone is very good.

Has extreme mental breakdowns at the worst times imaginable. I think this is why Ruff seemingly hated Kalinin. His ability to play 98% of the game very well and contribute to the team only to self destruct for the other 2% and cost the team goals is un-matched.

Deflect shots onto the net of his own goaltender because he would rather stand in front of the crease then help clear it.

What he doesn't do:
Hit. Clear the crease of bad guys. Fight for any cause but himself. Unless you hurt Dmitri he will not hurt you. And possibly worst of all he doesn't understand that another defensemen is playing with him and he can use him for help.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Funny, because a lot of press are saying how good Rozsivals contract is, considering the crop of UFA Defenseman he was in this July.

But i agree... It sucks you have to pay the man that much to keep him, and he better shoot the puck now.
He will. If you noticed he was ALWAYS trying to pass to Jagr. Jagr personally ripped him after one game for not getting the puck to him. That should say something.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:36 AM
McMonster

another Malik !!!!!!!!

what has Sather gotten us into?!?!

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
levski87

Wholy crap. Let the man play... He hasn't even stepped out on the ice yet and you guys are already saying hes Malik. Pathetic. Is this what "fans" truely are?... Worst part about NY fans is that we actually boo against our own team and players. That isn't a fan.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:53 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I know it was used in another thread, but...

He might be "Kalinin" out his locker soon if he makes mistakes like that at the wrong times...

Yes, bad pun soooooooo intended there.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:16 AM
McMonster

^^^...

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 07:24 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I don't think anyone is overlooking this, because Zherdev isn't Russian.
A number of other posters have stated that he's an ethnic Russian despite being from the Ukraine.

(Also, even if that's not the case, my understanding has always been that Russians & Ukranians speak the same language and get along pretty well. However, I don't claim to be an expert on the region so if someone else would like to correct me on this point, by all means...)

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 07:41 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Wholy crap. Let the man play... He hasn't even stepped out on the ice yet and you guys are already saying hes Malik. Pathetic. Is this what "fans" truely are?... Worst part about NY fans is that we actually boo against our own team and players. That isn't a fan.
I couldn't agree more, parts of this thread make me sick.

07-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think Kalinin is a stop-gap until Sanguinetti is ready.
The fact that we signed him to a 1 year contract supports that.
He'll be our 6th defenseman, with top-4 potential. I can deal with that
He also probably knows that if he doesn't get it together, there might not be another contract for him after this one.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
The fact that we signed him to a 1 year contract supports that.
He'll be our 6th defenseman, with top-4 potential. I can deal with that
He also probably knows that if he doesn't get it together, there might not be another contract for him after this one.
Wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Mara go elsewhere as well next season and see Slats target Doug Murray. He might like to come over here where we have a couple Swedes in the lineup.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
[QUOTE=BroadwayStorm;14807247]Talk about a wasted shot. A hard and most of all Accurate shot that he refuses to use.[QUOTE]

Rozsival's shot is about as wild as David Wells' fastball after a night at a biker bar... but just as hard/good for deflections. We're in agreement that he doesn't use it enough. He got better first half last season, but that phantom injury may have hindered him.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
NYR Viper

kalinin is a pretty solid defenseman.....he isnt malik....he hits and fights and is a very good skater.....he just overcommits sometimes

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

The difference is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
you're using Malik in a negative manner. When I previously mentioned Malik and the similarities, I was motioning it into a positive spin.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Mara go elsewhere as well next season and see Slats target Doug Murray. He might like to come over here where we have a couple Swedes in the lineup.
Doug Murray could become a cult player in NY.

His granddad is a legend in Sweden, was a 6'3 245 lbs D back in the 1950's, and players was allot smaler back then. Doug Murray's dad is from the US and he is built just like his grandpa. I saw some pics of him without a shirt and he just extremely thick.

I've never seen anyone hit like Murray. Without any speed he can send players flying. Like he isn't like Stevens, or even Beuke, in the sense that he can step up on people on a regular basis when they come at them at full speed. Murray needs to back down more because of his lack of agility. But he basically don't need to hit guys with speed to hurt them, like he can hurt people with a hit that looks to become a soft bump, by just exploding into someone.

Other players in the West got some serious respect for him. I would love to see him in the Atlantic division.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:22 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I don't see why everyone is getting nervous over this signing. His career NHL numbers are:

GP 466, G 34, A 111, PTS 145, +11

All this is with the Sabres since being drafted in 1998. The fact that he stayed with the Sabres organization for 10 years says something about him as a player.

He boosts the depth of the Rangers D-corps and will chip in with some points here and there. Hopefully his defensive mishaps will be few and far-between.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote