HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Center Ice Online

Old
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
SA16
Two by two...

vCash: 500
NHL Center Ice Online

So next year I am going to be out of New York during the season and Ill be at college at UPenn in Philadelphia. Since I'm not going to be able to get MSG there I need some way to watch the games. If I order NHL Center Ice Online will I be able to get all of the Ranger games on my computer (except for the ones against the Flyers i suppose). Also, can anybody who has used this before tell me how it works. Would I have to watch all the games live or is there a tivo-style feature where I would be able to watch the games sometime after the fact? Any information is appreciated.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
NYR Viper

unless it changes, it is all live-time.....the games come up in the archive in a week or more....i go to school in buffalo and i got it, i liked it, sometimes the games got blacked out because they were on versus and my school didnt get it but overall, i think i caught 60-70 games.....also, sometimes there are problems with the server and you miss portions of the game but that was only a handful of times.......if you are going to get it, get the early-bird special as it was $100 last year and it moved up to $140 i believe after that

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Does Center Ice broadcast in HD on TV?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Does Center Ice broadcast in HD on TV?
Supposedly, they do. But I contacted Time Warner Cable, and they said they don't supply it

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha View Post
So next year I am going to be out of New York during the season and Ill be at college at UPenn in Philadelphia. Since I'm not going to be able to get MSG there I need some way to watch the games. If I order NHL Center Ice Online will I be able to get all of the Ranger games on my computer (except for the ones against the Flyers i suppose). Also, can anybody who has used this before tell me how it works. Would I have to watch all the games live or is there a tivo-style feature where I would be able to watch the games sometime after the fact? Any information is appreciated.
The quality is definitely not as good as on TV, but it's great to be able to watch games wherever you go. I have family down in North Carolina and I can log on and watch the games from there when I'm visiting or sometimes if I have to work late, I can watch games from there, too. You can also watch up to 4 games at once, although they're on little tiny screens, the more games you watch. The games are live. No pausing or rewinding at all. You'll be able to get all the Rangers games except the ones that are on NHL Network, Versus, or in Philly. You can watch pre-season games for free also (at least the Islanders pre-season games were broadcast that way). They usually pick up the home team feed, by the way. So if the Rangers are playing at Pittsburgh, for example, you'll likely get the Pittsburgh feed.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsIslesFan View Post
The quality is definitely not as good as on TV, but it's great to be able to watch games wherever you go. I have family down in North Carolina and I can log on and watch the games from there when I'm visiting or sometimes if I have to work late, I can watch games from there, too. You can also watch up to 4 games at once, although they're on little tiny screens, the more games you watch. The games are live. No pausing or rewinding at all. You'll be able to get all the Rangers games except the ones that are on NHL Network, Versus, or in Philly. You can watch pre-season games for free also (at least the Islanders pre-season games were broadcast that way). They usually pick up the home team feed, by the way. So if the Rangers are playing at Pittsburgh, for example, you'll likely get the Pittsburgh feed.
Or you could get it through cable and just get a slingbox.

Old
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
Supposedly, they do. But I contacted Time Warner Cable, and they said they don't supply it
I would definitely subscribe if they added HD. TWC is going to be adding a lot more HD content in the next year...so hopefully for 2009-2010.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
Hmm. Comcast says they have it, but nothing about HD. Probably not even available in my area anyway.

Old
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
MadHookUp

Comcast does not broadcast Center Ice games in high def.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Comcast does not broadcast Center Ice games in high def.
Great. I needed another reason to hate them.

Old
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Levitate

Hopefully they'll update the whole thing to work better. It wasn't bad last year, except for a few problems from time to time, but I just think the interface could be better.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 682
Quote:
As a centre ice user for TV and online, I would shy away from online at all costs.

The quality can some times suck major ass. Ill never forget watching pre-season last year Isles Rangers on Centre ice online and it was pitiful.

Im going on my fourth year for Centre ice and i HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it as long as you get it through cable or slingbox.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Or you could get it through cable and just get a slingbox.
I bought a Slingbox three weeks ago and took my laptop with me on a family vacation. It worked great...I don't know why I didn't do it before.

My next step is getting it for my phone, Motorola Q, and then I'll be set for watching Rangers, Mets, Jets whenever I want...unless they are on a losing streak!

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I bought a Slingbox three weeks ago and took my laptop with me on a family vacation. It worked great...I don't know why I didn't do it before.
Hey Jackson, does the slingbox send only the channel that your cable box is tuned to, or can it send any channel regardless of what someone else might be watching on the other end?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 03:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Hey Jackson, does the slingbox send only the channel that your cable box is tuned to, or can it send any channel regardless of what someone else might be watching on the other end?
It only shows the channel the box is tuned to. Best to connect the SB to the least used cable box in the house.

Old
07-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It only shows the channel the box is tuned to. Best to connect the SB to the least used cable box in the house.
I guess a college student can just leave a box in their room at home and sling from there. Hell, then you don't need a cable box at all for your dorm room.

Old
07-09-2008, 03:52 PM
SA16
Two by two...

Im pretty sure I would definitely need to get online since I dont think I can have a cable box in my dorm room, so I guess Im just going to have to deal with poor quality sometimes, I mean its better than nothing, although Philly is only like an hour train ride from Penn Station so I plan on going to a bunch of games anyway

Old
07-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Melrose_Jr.

With a slingbox though, your cable box is at home, streaming to your computer in your dorm room. You can watch hockey, or anything else you currently get on your home cable box.

Old
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I guess a college student can just leave a box in their room at home and sling from there. Hell, then you don't need a cable box at all for your dorm room.
True, but don't expect stellar video quality.

Old
07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
With a slingbox though, your cable box is at home, streaming to your computer in your dorm room. You can watch hockey, or anything else you currently get on your home cable box.
Correct, it has a remote control that is similar to the one your cable system uses and you just use that to get to whatever channel you want. You can also setup favorite channels to switch from game to game if you want.

The only negative is if someone tries to watch something using the cable box that Slingbox is hooked up to, they'll be watching you switch channels while your channel surfing.

My daughter was watching TV the other day where I have the Slingbox to and I started changing the channels and she had no idea what was happening...it was pretty funny to mess with her for a little while.

Old
07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
True, but don't expect stellar video quality.
The quality isn't perfect but it's not horrible either. I was watching the Mets and it looked fine to me. I wonder if I had an HD cable box if it would improve the quality?

Old
07-09-2008, 04:18 PM
SA16
Two by two...

so basically if i wanted to go the slingbox way, I would want to put it on some cable box in a room that nobody would use tv, at home, and I would be able to access that and set it to whatever channel i want from my dorm room? So I would definitely be getting MSG, SNY etc..

Old
07-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Blazephr

do you have to pay twice if you want to watch some games on the TV & puter? or is a one-time sign up fee?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
so basically if i wanted to go the slingbox way, I would want to put it on some cable box in a room that nobody would use tv, at home, and I would be able to access that and set it to whatever channel i want from my dorm room? So I would definitely be getting MSG, SNY etc..
You wouldn't even need a TV attached to the box. Stick it in a closet somewhere so you know no one will ever change it on you. But yes, you would get whatever channels your cable box at home is getting.

Old
07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Hemlawk86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post

My next step is getting it for my phone, Motorola Q, and then I'll be set for watching Rangers, Mets, Jets whenever I want...unless they are on a losing streak!
I have the Q but no sling box! haha. I want it, but I have to watch what my wife watches when Im at work. The only way around it is to get another cable box.

Hemlawk86 is offline   Reply With Quote