HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues sign Steve Bernier to an offer sheet; Canucks Match

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
tantalum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginner's in T.O. View Post
It's a fair move a lighthearted version of what happened between Lowe and Burke. Classy response by Gillis.

Unfortunately the Canucks will have Ohlund, Bernier, The Sedins and Edler all up for new contracts next year. If they struggle and are on the bubble at the deadline I expect they will ask Ohlund to waive his NTC and then trade him. They have not had discussions yet with Ohlund as of two days ago but I expect as soon as there is certainty on Sundin that the Sedins', Edler and Ohlund will all be getting cals about their expectations on their long term deals. I don't expect Edler or Bernier to be re-signed until next off-season, The Sedins this summer for sure (they better be anyways), and Ohlund the wildcard. If he has salary expectations over 4.5 million and another NTC I think they'll look to move him with Philly, Phoenix, LA, Buffalo and Pittsburgh as possible destinations.
Ohlund is UFA next summer. They can't put pen to paper until Jan 1 so I don't think there is much of a hurry.

Old
07-08-2008, 08:03 PM
MS

It'll cost us a bit, but meh.

I *highly* doubt Bernier was going to sign a long-term (3-5 year) deal coming off a 32-point season, anyway. He has to know his value is surely going to go up given the opportunity he was getting this year. Would have been pretty dumb for him to do so. So I don't think we're losing nearly as much as some people are claiming. Probably would have signed a 2-year deal otherwise.

If Bernier had one year at $2.5 million left on his contract when we made the deal last week, we still make that trade in a heartbeat. So in the overall context, I'm not too upset by things.

Old
07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Ohlund is UFA next summer. They can't put pen to paper until Jan 1 so I don't think there is much of a hurry.
I thought that was only the case when a player was only on a one year deal? Ohlund is in the last year of his deal, but I'm pretty sure the two sides could sign an extension today. Brendan Witt just signed one today...

Old
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I thought that was only the case when a player was only on a one year deal? Ohlund is in the last year of his deal, but I'm pretty sure the two sides could sign an extension today. Brendan Witt just signed one today...
I'm certain you're right. It's the same reason the Canucks can talk extensions with the Sedins now rather than later.

Old
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
It'll cost us a bit, but meh.

I *highly* doubt Bernier was going to sign a long-term (3-5 year) deal coming off a 32-point season, anyway. He has to know his value is surely going to go up given the opportunity he was getting this year. Would have been pretty dumb for him to do so. So I don't think we're losing nearly as much as some people are claiming. Probably would have signed a 2-year deal otherwise.

If Bernier had one year at $2.5 million left on his contract when we made the deal last week, we still make that trade in a heartbeat. So in the overall context, I'm not too upset by things.
i sure wasnt expecting a young big powerforward with this potential for a 2nd and 3rd. im happy regardless.

Old
07-08-2008, 08:21 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
I'm guessing by this then that it's a one year deal?

Not as big a "fan" of the move if so. This means if Bernier has a monster season with the twins this year, he'll be expecting a big raise. ****, I have to admit though, pretty clever from JD.
If you look at this from an optimistic perspective, this is actually a very good thing for our team in the short run. Bernier will have maximum motivation to perform right away if he wants to receive a juicy multi-year deal after this one year deal is up.

Old
07-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
Ah Organizational Behaviour I see, one can argue though of what Bernier percieves himself at what value. Bernier may still he feel he can earn more considering the stupified contracts that have been signed.
You have to put in the effort to expect to be rewarded accordingly. When you reward someone for their poor behavior, expect Pavlov's dogs to bite you in the ass. I don't know if the equity theory applies very well in this situation, since we don't know how well Bernier will play this year. If he plays well, he'll be undervalued. If he plays poorly, he'll be overvalued.

Old
07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
rye&ginger

'Bernier affair' deux?

odd move, and Im thinking we would have liked a 2-3 year deal? shrug.

Old
07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Who the heck says Bernier will be extremely motivated to play well after signing a contract like this?

Not necessarily. He and his agent know that he is highly sought after, and he can keep getting 2.5 per annum for another couple of seasons easy.

After all, his best season in the league yielded 15 goals, which doesn't exactly make him the second coming of Brett Hull. He's been dining out for a couple of years already on being "an emerging power forward who combines size and scoring."

Having said that, I hope he wants to play hard and wants to play here.

Old
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

It would be smart for the Canucks to try and acquire a quality RW'er that has a similar skillset to Steve Bernier. If we can effectively push Bernier down the roster and off the Sedin line and 1st unit PP it could pay dividends for the next few years. You can't hold Bernier back but if we can find an upgrade it should be pursued pretty aggresively.

The incentive to give Bernier every opportunity to suceed has been tempered by the offersheet. The difference between a 20 goal scorer and a 30 goal scorer's salary is pretty substantial when you look around the league at comparables. 40 goal season and we're looking at a $6mil contract. I know everyone thinks it's a great problem to have but I'm not one of them. I have no problem giving Bernier the chance to develop into a 40 goal scorer. I would just make him wait a year.

Old
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
Who the heck says Bernier will be extremely motivated to play well after signing a contract like this?

Not necessarily. He and his agent know that he is highly sought after, and he can keep getting 2.5 per annum for another couple of seasons easy.
No.

Reason?

One word answer=arbitration.

VS - working your butt of for just ONE season and cashing in on a $5+ million dollar contract.

I want him to be highly sought after the 2008/09 season - he's still a RFA. Canucks would take the multiple 1st round picks and run if he chooses not to re-sign or just deal him to another team.

Old
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM
KDizzle

Makes you think how smart Nonis was in locking up Luongo for 4 years even at the then-inflated 7 million a season.

It's looking more and more like a bargain.

Plus could you imagine if somebody signed Luongo to an offersheet for 2 years?

He'd be long gone by now.

Old
07-09-2008, 12:49 AM
alternate

when Kesler signed his deal, there was a lot of moaning and groaning. but then it ended up saving us money when he signed his next deal. this could go the same way.

if Bernier breaks out this season and shows he's a legit top 6 forward, he will have answered a lot of questions. that would be a good time to get him signed to a long term deal (5-7 years). he might not be willing to sign for 7 years, but he might be willing to give up 1-2 years of his ufa status for a decent figure. if he scores 30 goals this season and then signs a 6 year $28m deal, no one is going to be complaining that we have our #1 RW signed at a fair number for a long time.

on the other hand, say no offer sheet comes in and Gillis strong arms a 3yr/$6m deal onto Bernier and then Bernier responds with 130 goals over the life of that contract. by the end of that deal Bernier is feeling a tad underpaid and he can smell his ufa only 1 season away. he then refuses to lose any of his ufa years, wanting to recoup some of his lost income, and will only sign a 1 year deal, but he wants big coin for that 1 year as well. then he becomes a ufa and recieves a 10y/$100m offer and he's gone 2 years earlier than in the first scenerio.

obviously those are extremely hypothetical scerios, but the point is we have no idea what his next deal will look like. I have no problem giving him a one year looksie and then getting him signed to a big money, long term deal if he's worth it.

Old
07-09-2008, 01:43 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post

After all, his best season in the league yielded 15 goals, which doesn't exactly make him the second coming of Brett Hull. He's been dining out for a couple of years already on being "an emerging power forward who combines size and scoring."

Having said that, I hope he wants to play hard and wants to play here.
Are you serious? A one year deal isnt exactly motivation enough for a 23 year old...he will play as hard as he can and try to cash in on a long term contract. He will love life with the Sedins feeding him tap ins all the time as well.

Old
07-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Woodrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Are you serious? A one year deal isnt exactly motivation enough for a 23 year old...he will play as hard as he can and try to cash in on a long term contract. He will love life with the Sedins feeding him tap ins all the time as well.
As long as he doesn't love life all the way to Lugano of the Swiss League **cough** Anson Carter **cough**

Old
07-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Forever27

I like it, good signing. Thank the seven seals that Gillis matched.

Old
07-09-2008, 05:30 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
This move, apart from being high-larious, is pretty smart. It is a shot across the bows to Gillis to warn other teams off their RFAs. But I think Gillis should be classy and match immediately.
I don't mind the $2.5m (I expected Bernier to get something like that but over 3 years) but the one year is irritating. We were nice enough to help them with a 3 year deal, a contract a young player will grow into. It would have be nice of them to return that favour. So I'd have made StL wait the week for payback because of the fact it's a one year deal.

Anyway it's just a bit of tit for tat in the end, it doesn't really hurt us or them. Now Bernier's contract is out of the way it'll be easier to concentrate on looking for UFAs/options. Who knows maybe Gillis and StL cooked the whole Backes/Bernier thing up together, that'd be doubly funny.

Old
07-09-2008, 05:36 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Maybe in Vancouver people will see the Blues as a bush league team and a bunch of babies.

But everywhere else in the hockey world will see this as not only hilarious but have a care when going after other Blues RFA's. It's not just a good move to get revenge on Gillis, it helps the Blues protect their future assets. They have alot of great young talent becoming RFA's in the next 2-4 years and teams will be more wary from making them offersheets.
I'm sure that the Blues would like to see 1 year deals thrown at them, one by one.

Old
07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
fogducker

Canucks kinda screwed themselves by giving up the 2nd pick in 2010. Now we can't make an offfersheet to the great RFAs next summer

Old
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
Canucks kinda screwed themselves by giving up the 2nd pick in 2010. Now we can't make an offfersheet to the great RFAs next summer
So you'd rather a team never ever make trades involving picks so they can be used on offer sheets? If the need absolutely arises just do what Edmonton did and trade a prospect to get the pick back. If that doesn't work you deal with it and move on.

Old
07-09-2008, 01:33 PM
fogducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
So you'd rather a team never ever make trades involving picks so they can be used on offer sheets? If the need absolutely arises just do what Edmonton did and trade a prospect to get the pick back. If that doesn't work you deal with it and move on.
no I rather the traded their 2nd in 09 rather than in 10 because there aren't any affordable RFAs out there in the market right now

Old
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
no I rather the traded their 2nd in 09 rather than in 10 because there aren't any affordable RFAs out there in the market right now
Not always an option. Maybe Buffalo preferred that it be next year's pick rather than this years. Maybe Gillis wanted to keep his options open this year. Do the Canucks even have all of their 2010 picks?

Old
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi-wayman

The offersheet protects Bernier from being traded for a full calender year or even sent to the farm. It's a built in NMC. Smart on his part if he wants to stay here, as by trade deadline time, Grabner or Hansen could be pushing him for his roster spot with the Sedins.

Old
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
The offersheet protects Bernier from being traded for a full calender year or even sent to the farm. It's a built in NMC. Smart on his part if he wants to stay here, as by trade deadline time, Grabner or Hansen could be pushing him for his roster spot with the Sedins.

Guys who sign an offer sheet and have it matched can't be sent to the farm even if they wouldn't have to pass through waivers? Really? That's crazy.

Old
07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Guys who sign an offer sheet and have it matched can't be sent to the farm even if they wouldn't have to pass through waivers? Really? That's crazy.
Yeah I find this suspect. I always thought of it as a NTC rather than a NMC. Anyone have something to add to this?

Closed Thread