HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fischlers comments

Old
07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
robnmo

vCash: 500
Fischlers comments

I agree with this article 100 percent. What are your thoughts. At least this team will shoot the damn puck on the power play.

[URL="http://gameon.msg.com/2008/07/the-new-new-ran.html"]

robnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Sean claimed he loved The Apple — and he sure could have made millions here in the world's center with a new pact — but chose to become by contrast, a Texas hick for a bit more.

Loved it. He writes pretty well too.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
NYR Viper

he flip flopped.....dont like how he bashed jagr....the guy gave his everything to make this team respectable again and fisch kicks while he is down.......not very professional

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not sure he really was bashing Jagr.

Quote:
Goodman, bristled at the word "Captain" and nearly choked on my words, "Jags will be back." Bob then proceeded to tell me that long before others got on JJ's case, he (Bob Goodman) zinged Jaromir at every opportunity. Naturally, I asked him why he was so hard on The Man. "Because," he shot back, "Jagr quit on the Penguins and then he quit on the Capitals. What kind of Rangers captain would refuse to take a Shootout, as he actually did? As captain, it was his obligation to at least TRY, and he didn't. You never would have caught Mark Messier pulling such a stunt."
If that is what you were referring to, he was quoting what his friend said in a conversation.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
No single player will rule the team, dictate its power play, insist on which player skates on whomever's line. It's Tom Renney's team and that IS important.
Most important thing in Fischler's article.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:25 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The old man is very smart at times. Great article all around, if you ask me.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:35 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

As much as i hate to see Jagr go.

I have to admit, we have become much less predictable, as Renney him self has stated.

There is a completely different dynamic with this team, and no one really knows what that is exactly until we see it over a couple of months until we establish a new identity. No one really knows what to expect from them.

However, team offense and team defense seem to be the new mantra. Everything as a whole, not based on individuals.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

stan is a hack. i dont know why i even bother reading his stuff...while i agree with him in this particular article, i still think hes worthless, and never pay attention to anything he says generally.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:41 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Quote:
No single player will rule the team, dictate its power play, insist on which player skates on whomever's line. It's Tom Renney's team and that IS important.
And that, my friends is the #1 reason why I wanted Jagr gone.

Not because of his age, or "declining play" or his contract.

This team needed a direction - ONE direction.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Melrose_Jr.

STAN Fischler wrote this article? I'm frightened to say there's not a single part of it I disagree with. Pretty amazing flip-flop though.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
he flip flopped.....dont like how he bashed jagr....the guy gave his everything to make this team respectable again and fisch kicks while he is down.......not very professional
He admitted to not giving his everything.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

So Fischler, who showered Jagr with praise on a daily basis and supported his captaincy unequivocally, now spews vitriol at him when he's gone?

Shocking.

Fischler is an MSG shill. Why even give him any attention? He's just a mouthpiece. What good is it that I agree with him this time, when he's been saying the exact opposite for three years?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
I'll still never understand that.

If Renney didnt have the respect for the players for the past 3 years and a player was running the show, then Renney did not do a good job in controlling the team. Even more thanks goes to Jagr for I guess "leading" the team to the playoffs.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Eklund is a guy you don't bother reading. Brooks is an educated Eklund. Fischler, like it or not, is a good hockey writer.

Christ, some of you guys make me laugh with the "flip-flop" comments. What are you, 2004 Bush Campaign spokesmen???

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Well, for one thing, our PP is going to be much more dynamic. With Jagr no longer the conductor, we hopefully can utilize shots from the blueline (please give Mara a chance?), and we also finally won't have the same patty-cake with the puck until Jagr/Shanahan unleashes a one timer.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
STAN Fischler wrote this article? I'm frightened to say there's not a single part of it I disagree with. Pretty amazing flip-flop though.
I know, I'm pretty shocked too. Normally, the Maven puts out stuff that makes you wonder if he was on senility meds (no disrespect to the elderly).

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:29 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
So Fischler, who showered Jagr with praise on a daily basis and supported his captaincy unequivocally, now spews vitriol at him when he's gone?

Shocking.

Fischler is an MSG shill. Why even give him any attention? He's just a mouthpiece. What good is it that I agree with him this time, when he's been saying the exact opposite for three years?
this is what i was saying......same thing with avery, saying he will bust in dallas yet saying he thought he was a HUGE part of the rangers

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:57 AM
3Lundqvist0

Jagr almost singlehandedly made sure that Mara didn't get PP time, from what I've read and heard. I know I heard about it during a game last year at the very least (this was during the period when Mara actually did start seeing some PP action).

3Lundqvist0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Blazephr

Here's a good response to The Maven's blog....(it starts about 10 paragraphs down)

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/...ly-uncool.html

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Here's a good response to The Maven's blog....(it starts about 10 paragraphs down)

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/...ly-uncool.html
This is a great response to Fishlers work of fiction...

I'd love it if one of the people that "agree" with The Maven's blog would counter this....

What isn't truthful about what Prospect Park wrote?

It's pretty pathetic that the Rangers sent 72 year old Stan Fischler to do there hit piece on two guys that did more for this franchise then ANY of the terrible players Fischler has endorsed over the years...I'm sure Stan is a great guy but he adds nothing of insight to the broadcasts....I''d take the opinion of half this board over what Fischler has to say before, during, and after his games...

When was the last time Stan Fischler has been right about anything? NOW, he makes sense? I don't get it but to each his own...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 06:51 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
This is a great response to Fishlers work of fiction...

I'd love it if one of the people that "agree" with The Maven's blog would counter this....

It's pretty pathetic that the Rangers sent 72 year old Stan Fischler to do there hit piece on two guys that did more for this franchise then ANY of the terrible players Fischler has endorsed over the years...I'm sure Stan is a great guy but he adds nothing of insight to the broadcasts....I''d take the opinion of half this board over what Fischler has to say before, during, and after his games...

When was the last time Stan Fischler has been right about anything? NOW, he makes sense? I don't get it but to each his own...
Why does it matter that he is 72?

Reading some of the comments here, like he is a hack, makes me laugh because Fischler is a many times over published author and nowadays everyone with a blog deems themselves an author.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Christ, some of you guys make me laugh with the "flip-flop" comments.
Well, how else would you characterize it?

Quote:
I wouldn't say there is something untrue about what's written there, but there's a lot of silly questions asked and equally harsh things said about current Ranger players. I'm not sure how "bashing" Drury, Gomez and Renney is better or different than "bashing" Jagr and Avery, since that's the axe they've expressed an interest in grinding.

I would also add that the quality of writing certainly calls into question the quality of the writer. A piece that lacks the punctuation that any 5th grader should have command of significantly detracts from the credibility of the content.

Quote:
When was the last time Stan Fischler has been right about anything? NOW, he makes sense?
Does it matter? What came off the end of the pen that day was, for the first time in my memory, something I could agree with. I'm as shocked as you are.

Old
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Eklund is a guy you don't bother reading. Brooks is an educated Eklund. Fischler, like it or not, is a good hockey writer.
I think he once was a good hockey writer, I'm not so sure about now. Maybe he says some outrageous things just for the attention, I don't know, but he doesn't come across as particularly with it these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Why does it matter that he is 72?

Reading some of the comments here, like he is a hack, makes me laugh because Fischler is a many times over published author and nowadays everyone with a blog deems themselves an author.
Again, he says some pretty off the wall things these days (not talking about this article), so I don't think his credibility lately is really all that high. He's kind of settled into the role of "amusing diversion".

I'm kind of amused that someone claimed the Rangers themselves sent Fischler to write a "hit piece", though

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
94now

What's wrong with player monarchy? Do you prefer the dictatorship of the coach?
Hockey club is no way a democracy. The end result is all that matters. We made past the first round in playoffs with Jagr as a monarch. I don't think Renney ever was his b****, but who, the hell, cares? Mess did the same exact thing, only got us nowhere. Someone please explain to me why are we better with Jagr in Omsk and Avery in Dallas. Cause Mavens explanation looks quite silly to me. Looks like he covers for Slats shortcomings.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Someone please explain to me why are we better with Jagr in Omsk and Avery in Dallas.
While there's probably a million answers, I'll give you 2.
  1. contract length
  2. cap hit