HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ducks GM Murray to be named Senators head coach coach

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2004, 04:44 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I wouldn't sell Murray short as a coach. He took over a moribund (10-cent word ) Washington franchise in '82 and turned them into a perennially competitive team, albeit one that could never get over the hump. Granted, that was a long time ago.

Regardless, not good news for Anaheim, IMO, as he resurrected that franchise virtually overnight from bottom feeders to Cup Finalists, and importantly has cultivated a promising young pipeline of prospects.
please, dont get me wrong here. murray IS a great coach. but please understand that bryan murray's washington capitals gave the capitals is choker in the playoff reputation. those capitals teams were at least as strong as the last 4 or 5 senators teams have been and they gacked it away every year.

with goalies like pete peeters, don beaupre, al jensen and pat riggin the caps were always beaten by in the playoffs by teams with better goaltending just like the senators have been beaten with patrick lalime.

i am just stunned. whenever there is nhl hockey again, when ottawa is ready for its next playoff round they will have a coach behind the bench that carries with him the exact same questions of playoff failure that they just replaced.

did muckler and company forget that??????????

Old
06-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I am Jack's Fish

Send a message via AIM to I am Jack's Fish
Two ways to look at this, and it might be a combination of both. Either Disney and he Ducks are really on unstable ground with an uncertain future, or that Murray really wanted the chance to coach a team close to the area that he grew up and still has family.

Old
06-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
wow....what are the senators doing? they fired a coach that developed a dominant team but couldnt win in the playoffs. they have now replaced him with a coach that became famous for building a dominant team that just could not win in the playoffs.

WHY?????

they have replaced a choker with a choker...thats nuts
Ya know, sometimes the players affect the result of the games. Just a theory though.

Old
06-07-2004, 05:09 PM
edmontonoilers89

So how did this work in the first place? Was he still under contract with Anaheim, and if so, don't they have to ask the team permission if they can negotiate a deal with him ala Joel Quenville and Larry Robinson who still have contracts with their respective teams?

I'm not exactly familiar with his contract too, but if he still has one doesn;t he have to respect the last year of it or whatever? Do the Ducks get a compinsation pick?

As you can see by all these questions, I'm quite the confused soul right now, but personally I think this may open up a spot for Brian Burke. I think he'd do pretty well in Anaheim. He always has a way of getting a team to open up their wallet.

Last edited by edmontonoilers89: 06-07-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old
06-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89
So how did this work in the first place? Was he still under contract with Anaheim, and if so, don't they have to ask the team permission if they can negotiate a deal with him ala Joel Quenville and Larry Robinson who still have contracts with their respective teams?

I'm not exactly familiar with his contract too, but if he still has one doesn;t he have to respect the last year of it or whatever? Do the Ducks get a compinsation pick?
If he is still under contract, then he'd have to discuss with the Ducks and they would have to decide IF they him go and if they do IF they want compensation for him.

The usual line of thinking for many (but not all) organizations is that when an employee in a *lesser* position is offered a promotion elsewhere is to let him go for free. (Sometimes, these employees even have clauses in their contracts to be liberated in such instances).

Since going from GM to coach is hardly what is considered like a promotion, I would think the Ducks would expect something back (assuming Murray is still under contract, which I thought he was). Unless they gladly look forward to Murray's departure. Giving him away to a great team just wouldn't make sense.

Old
06-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
I think Murray is a better guy for the job than Martin was, although I maintain that Ottawa needs a Ken Hitchcock, Pat Burns type coach to get their full potential. Barring that, I think Murray's history of quick success should propell the Senators far next season. Following that, who knows? But Ottawa is going to be a better team with Murray behind the bench than with Martin.

I also am wondering about the issue of Anaheim's compensation and response to this. Murray has done a great job for them over the last few seasons and they can't be happy to see him go. Though, the last offseason could be seen as a sign of backwards motion.

Old
06-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Well, this leaves the door wide open for the Ducks to offer Quinville the head coach and GM job.

06-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Well, this leaves the door wide open for the Ducks to offer Quinville the head coach and GM job.
Babcock's a good head coach. A GM like Brian Burke is what we need.

Also, I wonder what kind of compensation we'll get. Murray was still under contract, so we should be getting something back.

Old
06-07-2004, 08:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14
Ya know, sometimes the players affect the result of the games. Just a theory though.
there is no question. but, why choose a coach that is going to make it more difficult than it has to be. the senators only real failure has been its consistant failure in the playoffs. as the playoffs approach every year the talk starts about what can the senators do to avoid failing again.

after enough of those failures the coach was removed. not that ottawa was disappointing in the regular season, they were not. by bringing in murray, ottawa invites those same questions again about playoff failures. rather than hire a coach with a winning playoff track record and maybe a cup on his resume, they hire a guy that was the prototype for the coach they just fired.

Old
06-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Spezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
there is no question. but, why choose a coach that is going to make it more difficult than it has to be. the senators only real failure has been its consistant failure in the playoffs. as the playoffs approach every year the talk starts about what can the senators do to avoid failing again.

after enough of those failures the coach was removed. not that ottawa was disappointing in the regular season, they were not. by bringing in murray, ottawa invites those same questions again about playoff failures. rather than hire a coach with a winning playoff track record and maybe a cup on his resume, they hire a guy that was the prototype for the coach they just fired.
That would be the case regardless.

Maurice, Francis, Quenville and Acton all have similar issues to Murray, lack of post season coaching success.

NJ won't let anyone talk to Robbinson who would be my first choice until they know about the future of Burns. I don't see another candidate who ticks all the boxes.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:59 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
Babcock's a good head coach. A GM like Brian Burke is what we need.

Also, I wonder what kind of compensation we'll get. Murray was still under contract, so we should be getting something back.
Ron MacLean asked Burke about that in an interview during Game 7. Burke isn't counting on anything just yet since Florida's GM position was open for about two hours.
Unless Disney really wants a GM in place for the draft, they may go GM by committee until the labour dispute is resolved.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Randall Graves*

I'd welcome Burke with open arms, he has a history of good trades, he's worked under tight budgets, he drafts decently and I love his fire.

I think Murray had family issues, it was mentioned somewhere Murray was contacted friday which would be tampering.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

The Senators were given permission. It's not tampering.

Old
06-08-2004, 11:49 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

I also heard that Murray refused to negotiate with the Senators the first time. I'm guessing that he received a call about a family problem and, then listened in. I could be wrong though, it could be the fact that he was uncertain of the Ducks' future with Disney because Disney's still trying to sell them.

Old
06-08-2004, 11:51 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy
I also heard that Murray refused to negotiate with the Senators the first time.
At the Press Conf. today, he said he was in Prague when he was first contacted and
said he'd deal with it at a later time, like when he got back home.

Old
06-08-2004, 11:57 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

No wonder, usually, by now, I was expecting a lot of rumors to pop out about the Ducks', lately, all I've heard were mostly about the Red Wings.

Closed Thread