HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm Curious: How Will You Remember Jagr?

View Poll Results: How will you remember Jagr:
A Great Leader; gave it his all; he was TEAM FIRST and didnt care about himself. 13 10.40%
A Good leader; gave it his all most of the time; still total respect for what he did to turn around the franchise 93 74.40%
An average leader; cared about himself too much; ; ill still give him a little respect 13 10.40%
Below average leader; ME, Me, Me, just wanted to make himself look good 4 3.20%
Terrible leader ; one of the worst ever had ; only cared about himself 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-10-2008, 02:18 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
I'm Curious: How Will You Remember Jagr?

Ive seen so many negative posts on this board about him that honestly, it sickens me.

So I want to know how you will feel about him for the next decade when people bring him up....

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:21 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Ive seen so many negative posts on this board about him that honestly, it sickens me.

So I want to know how you will feel about him for the next decade when people bring him up....
As the guy who gave us everything he had for a three year period, led us back to respectability, and put together the greatest individual season in franchise history.

He wasn't perfect, and perhaps was too unwilling and/or unable to adapt to a new system. But the bottom line is that he busted his ass for this team and deserves our respect, admiration, and appreciation.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:22 AM
300mph

while there were some times where he looked like he was going through the motions, he was a central figure in bringing the new york rangers back to respectability after the lock-out.

gotta love 'em.

not to mention, he was always good with the media, often giving hilarious quotes. i remember one exchange..

"So Jagr, how easy will it be to win one game in Buffalo?"
"It's so easy, a caveman can do it."

i'm gonna miss that.

300mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:23 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Between good and great....I could care less if i get heat from that. He was our best leader since Messier. Messier, who will go down as a top 5 leader of all time on ANY team.

People read way to much into his Capital days, and try to say he was just like then.

Jagr matured into a very good leader on a team, he brought up playoffs year after year, and dominated his first season with us.

Jagr - will always be on top of the list for best leaders for the Rangers.

Yup, he wasnt perfect, but he did all he could. He changed us from a joke in the NHL, to a respectful team again.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
An average leader at best. But 10 years from now all I'll probably look back on is his monstrous 05-06 season and giving his all in the playoffs. Even returning with a separated shoulder in 06.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 50
Quote:

I dont understand how people can bash him. Honestly he did more for us single handedly then any one has since Messier. He by himself took a team that was going NO WHERE fast to the playoffs... 3 years in a row.

I have the utmost respect for the guy, whether he gave it all or not, he always looked as if he was giving 110% 100% of the time and will always remember him as a

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Trottier
Very Random

As an outsider, I have to say to the posters above: you get it.

Yes, Sather has added a lot of superb talent to the roster over the last three campaigns. And this team is now positioned to move on without #68.

But Jagr was unquestionably the focal point of this organization's resurgence. No if, ands or buts.

To be sure, no one would ever mistake Jagr's personality and approach to that of Messier in his heyday. But "leadership," much more than anything else, is getting it done on the ice. And Jagr did.

Those who point out his imperfections while in NY need to get a grip.

And sorry. Any NYR fan who does not appreciate his tremendous impact/contribution is an ingrate.

Are there really any of those types?

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Between good and great....I could care less if i get heat from that. He was our best leader since Messier. Messier, who will go down as a top 5 leader of all time on ANY team.

People read way to much into his Capital days, and try to say he was just like then.

Jagr matured into a very good leader on a team, he brought up playoffs year after year, and dominated his first season with us.

Jagr - will always be on top of the list for best leaders for the Rangers.

Yup, he wasnt perfect, but he did all he could. He changed us from a joke in the NHL, to a respectful team again.
That works for me Fly. And lets not forget, he was fun to watch too.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:00 AM
dkich96

Jagr hands down is an amazing hockey player who utilized the opportunity presented to him in NY and proved that he is one of the best players in the league. He single handedly brought us out of the dumpster to respectability which made NY a place people wanted to come and play, and not only because of the contract awarded to them. I loved his attitude and fooling around with the media and just being loose and having fun, however, when the puck would drop Jagr did everything to win. As a hockey player, I will testify to the fact that no matter how good a player is, they still need someone that they could play with in order to reach the climax of their potential. Nylander was that player with the ability to slow down the game, Gomez gets by with his speed, and is completely useless when he is in slow motion or is standing still!!! Therefore, what Jagr did last season is phenomenal considering he worked with Dubinsky and a sub every other game!!! Jagr is hands down one of the better Rangers player to play for us and he will be missed.

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:24 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
As an outsider, I have to say to the posters above: you get it.

Yes, Sather has added a lot of superb talent to the roster over the last three campaigns. And this team is now positioned to move on without #68.

But Jagr was unquestionably the focal point of this organization's resurgence. No if, ands or buts.

To be sure, no one would ever mistake Jagr's personality and approach to that of Messier in his heyday. But "leadership," much more than anything else, is getting it done on the ice. And Jagr did.

Those who point out his imperfections while in NY need to get a grip.

And sorry. Any NYR fan who does not appreciate his tremendous impact/contribution is an ingrate.

Are there really any of those types?
Awesome post Trots, thanks for taking the time to give your opinion as an outsider...

And for your last question, unfortunately there are......I guess some people got too spoiled in the mid 90's that they cant appreciated what they had recently..

Old
07-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I will remember Jagr's tenure with the Rangers as:

- leading Rangers scorer
- brought Rangers to respectability
- played through pain
- an NHL all time great left the NHL too early

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Jagr set the tone immediately after being named Captain, the fact he took that article projecting the Rangers to finish 30th and posted it on his locker to serve as motivation was something I really liked. Then he follows that act with absolutely blasting the heavily favored Flyers with 2 goals to get us an upset win to start what looked to be a hopeless season, giving us Rangers fans what we lacked in 7 horrid years, hope.

I'll always remember Jagr as a Ranger fondly, and I'm glad we had the privilege of watching him skate for the team we support.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 07:18 AM
eco's bones

He was hardly flawless but there's no doubt in my mind that he was the one that led us back into the playoffs after the lockout. Yeah--he seemed moody sometimes last year--it wasn't completely out of personality--overall last year was not a good one for him. Even with that though he got Dubinsky's career kick started. He more than earned his money--at least the part of the contract we paid for. Unfortunately no cup but at least we can dream about it again--after the 7 season no playoffs nightmare. Generally speaking the Jagr years were very good ones.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 08:54 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Jags was a great captain (when he wanted to be). He mostly whinned and got his way for the three years he was here, but he had spurts of unselfishness. I wish we had the Jags that scored 53 goals last year. Overall I'll remeber him in a great way!

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Jagr was the main man in resurrecting this franchise (yes, moreso than Lundqvist). If his 3 season tenure is looked back upon with any disdain, you should probably question your Ranger fandom.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Below average. Any guy that rejects the captaincy shouldn't be leading the team.

He did a lot for the franchise, but I certainly don't translate his point production into leadership ability.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
Jagr set the tone immediately after being named Captain, the fact he took that article projecting the Rangers to finish 30th and posted it on his locker to serve as motivation was something I really liked. Then he follows that act with absolutely blasting the heavily favored Flyers with 2 goals to get us an upset win to start what looked to be a hopeless season, giving us Rangers fans what we lacked in 7 horrid years, hope.

I'll always remember Jagr as a Ranger fondly, and I'm glad we had the privilege of watching him skate for the team we support.
Way OT here, but you should change the phrase in your avatar. With 'The' repeated twice it makes it a clunky line to me. I think 'One Cup to Rule Them All' would work much better. Just my opinion though.

As for Jagr, I'm indifferent to him. Wasn't a fan of his before the Rangers, and wasn't a fan during the Rangers. I acknowledge his greatness and appreciate him ending the 7 season slide. But aside from breaking scoring records and his name, I don't feel his tenure as Captain was very notable. The Rangers, historically, seldom make it beyond the 2nd round.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

You see, people dont hate him...

They just wanted to move in a different direction.

He will be remembered.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

After seeing Gretz, Bure, Lindros etc I wasnt thrilled about getting the aging, often booed Jagr. But at least he performed and the team looked like an actual team instead of mixed and matched parts(credit Renney & co too).

Glad to have him for the last few years, no regrets.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I will always remember Jagr first as one of the most talented guys in the world. 2nd as a Penguin and 3rd as a Ranger captain. I loved watching him play and I do think he cared about the Rangers and winning. With that said, I will never forget how dominate Jagr was with Mario and thats how I still think of him so I guess I always will. It was a pleasure watching him in NY though...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
ThirdEye

In trying to be as objective as possible, I'm going to say that he was an average leader. I still respect him a ton and really do think he cared more about his teammates than himself (at least most of the time), but as a Captain I thought he could have done a better job at opportune times.

There were times when you would marvel at what he was doing, and then others when you couldn't figure out what he was thinking... at all.

Nonetheless, it was great watching one of the greatest players of all time on this team for 3+ years and I will miss him. Logic dictated that it was time for this team to go in a different direction though

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Fletch

Can't complain about Jagr..

I did complain about Renney and Sather setting up a team that deferred too much to Jagr and wondered what would happen if he stopped producing/was gone. That was always my concern, and it had nothing to do with Jagr. I thought he gave it his all. People read into some comments he made which basically said he can't play all-out for 82 games and still be effective in whatever amount of games it takes to win a Stanley Cup. That's most 35 year olds. What was lost is that his goal was to win the Stanley Cup. I don't think he cared if the team came in 8th, so long as the Rangers were in he was going to do his best to ensure they had a good showing in the playoffs.

I can't comment on if he was a leader. I wasn't there. I'm sure his teammates admired what he did on the ice. And perhaps that drove them to do better, so he was a decent leader if that's the case.

I thought he matured a lot while here. Never saw him complain. He had a good personality and sense of humor I never thought existed.

Never was a huge fan of his, but can't really complain about his tenure in NYC.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
zestystrat

I guess for me the issue was his play vs being a captain.

Great player (the last year was rough, sans playoffs).

As a leader, it's hard not to remember:

• the no-go on penalty shot (he's our go to guy)
• not wanting the C in the first year
• the last few weeks/months with meetings with Omsk during the season
• his comments that he took off part of the reg season for the playoffs (when getting in wasn't a slam dunk)
• his need of "love (ie money)" from the NYR when we built our team and style around him

So great player yes, not the best leader IMO.

All that said, I'll remember him as a great member of the NYR.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote