HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's the shutdown center ?

Old
07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Turboflex*

vCash: 500
Shutdown lines are for untalented teams.

Good teams like Montreal roll 3 attacking teams that get the puck and bring it to the opposition.

I could see a line with S. Kostitsyn/Laraque/Kostopoulos-Chipchura-Higgins being a very strong line at getting the puck deep and then cycling it well for a chance. Laraque I think is very underrated at that, Dmen smaller than Komisarek size just bounce off of him when he's protecting the puck down low.

4th line is a cannonball line where you send Begin-Lapierre-Kostopolos/Laraque out to hit anything that moves.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
newsylalonde100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
It wasn't just against the penguins... it was all season. Why do you think that those guys were nominated for the selke.

And I never said they were the same caliber as Zets and Datsyuk... but Pleks, Kovy, and Higgins are all good offensive players who killed penalties for us last year, they can play two way hockey.

well of course babcock isn't stupid i'd do the same...but guys like kovalev you want to make him into a 2way player?....let that guy worry about offence...and let a line like chips--higgy---lats worry about shutting down other star lines.

newsylalonde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsylalonde100 View Post
well of course babcock isn't stupid i'd do the same...but guys like kovalev you want to make him into a 2way player?....let that guy worry about offence...and let a line like chips--higgy---lats worry about shutting down other star lines.
Kovalev is good at pinching guys and stripping them of the puck. He's so good at reading people's moves, that same ability that lets him deke people's pants off helps him out defensively when he doesn't have the puck but wants it back.

Old
07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
The other team can't score when Kovalev has the puck...

Also I've always believed the best defence is a good offence.

If the other teams best players go on the ice and all they are thinking about is how to find a way around the defensive blanket being thrown at them, eventually they find a way through... You can't shut down a guy like Crosby forever, if all he has to think about is offense... but maybe you put a seed in his mind, make him think about his own end to... that can sometimes help you shut a guy down too.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Kovalev is already good defensively when he decides to back check. He proved that last year. Everybody makes mistakes so turnovers are normal, but he can do a good job defensively. We wouldn't have to transform him, he already knows how to do it.

As for a shutdown line, shutdown and Lats should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Although Lats improved his D game last year, he's one of the worst players to be of a shutdown line.
Lats needs to be paired with a playmaking center, like Koivu. He'll be most useful to us at this position.

The 2way line I see is Higgins-Chipper-S.Ko, I think they would make a terrific trio if Chipper improved his skating and FOs. Then we'd have the Laraque-Laps-Kosto(Begin) line that would be a great energy/pest line.

If Sundin signs here, then its different. Id see the Higgins-Koivu-S.Ko line become the shutdown one, and Sundin center Tanguay-Lats.

Man, Sundin would really bring some great depth for our centers.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
newsylalonde100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Kovalev is already good defensively when he decides to back check. He proved that last year. Everybody makes mistakes so turnovers are normal, but he can do a good job defensively. We wouldn't have to transform him, he already knows how to do it.

As for a shutdown line, shutdown and Lats should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Although Lats improved his D game last year, he's one of the worst players to be of a shutdown line.
Lats needs to be paired with a playmaking center, like Koivu. He'll be most useful to us at this position.

The 2way line I see is Higgins-Chipper-S.Ko, I think they would make a terrific trio if Chipper improved his skating and FOs. Then we'd have the Laraque-Laps-Kosto(Begin) line that would be a great energy/pest line.

If Sundin signs here, then its different. Id see the Higgins-Koivu-S.Ko line become the shutdown one, and Sundin center Tanguay-Lats.

Man, Sundin would really bring some great depth for our centers.
theres no way lats is good enough to crack habs top 2 lines....like are you kidding me?...this is his year...if he dosn't prove himself this year...other young prospects are gonna slowly replace him....i just through him on the shutdown line...cuz just amagine him with tanguay and koivu?...he would have such a hard time to keep up lol

Old
07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Turboflex*

We have only seen brief glimpses of it over the past 2 seasons since Carbo seems unwillining to try it out for more than odd shifts or a few games at a time at most, but if you looked closely you'd see that Latendresse and Koivu looked good together. I think Latendresse should at least be given a 6-10 game extended audition with Koivu so we can really get a good view of if they've got anything.

I like Higgins a lot and think he's a very effective hockey player but the guy had me pulling my hair out with all the chances he missed last year on sweet setups from Koivu. I think Higgins might be a guy who would thrive more on a less tic-tac-toe passing but more hard working cycling line (centred by Chipchura who's also got that game), while Latendresse might be more effective using his soft hands to bury Koivu's slick passes around the net.

Old
07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Chipchura has enough offensive potential that he can put into a two-way line role and produce. Chipchura oozes hockey sense and he's a beast physically and near unbeatable on the boards. He'll also go to the front of the net. Ask Qui Gon Dave the kind of hands he has displayed before in Hamilton. Frankly, your lines are gonna be tweaked, Lats will play with Koivu on the second with A. Kost on the RW for once, Tanguay will take the hole on the LW on the top line and Higgins will play LW, Sergei on the RW with Chips at center, all three good TWO-WAY players, with offensive potential.

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-A. Kostitsyn
Higgins-Chipchura-S. Kostitsyn
I would tend to agree with you my friend... but...

- heads or tails... is lats going to make it up there?

-tanguay -plek -kovy .... is great, but lack size.

but besides that... its fine with me... especially if you add a 4th line of lapierre, laraque-kosto/begin .

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Latendresse playing a 'shutdown role' just doesn't make sense to me.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
We have only seen brief glimpses of it over the past 2 seasons since Carbo seems unwillining to try it out for more than odd shifts or a few games at a time at most, but if you looked closely you'd see that Latendresse and Koivu looked good together. I think Latendresse should at least be given a 6-10 game extended audition with Koivu so we can really get a good view of if they've got anything.

I like Higgins a lot and think he's a very effective hockey player but the guy had me pulling my hair out with all the chances he missed last year on sweet setups from Koivu. I think Higgins might be a guy who would thrive more on a less tic-tac-toe passing but more hard working cycling line (centred by Chipchura who's also got that game), while Latendresse might be more effective using his soft hands to bury Koivu's slick passes around the net.
I don't wanna bash Latendresse, but last year he was floating around looking lost most of the time for about 75% (or more) of the games he played. Yeah I know he got potential, he got size, he got hands, he knows how to free himself for the garbages in front of the net, but he have to show some consistency to have a spot on the top lines of a team. Skating in circles instead of forechecking, stopping or slowing down when it's time to deliver a solid hit is what we saw all of last year, that plus his inability to get the puck out of his zone with tape to tape passes (he, most of the time, gave the puck to the other team's defence). If he isn't consistent again this year, he doesn't belong on our offensive lines.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
I don't wanna bash Latendresse, but last year he was floating around looking lost most of the time for about 75% (or more) of the games he played. Yeah I know he got potential, he got size, he got hands, he knows how to free himself for the garbages in front of the net, but he have to show some consistency to have a spot on the top lines of a team. Skating in circles instead of forechecking, stopping or slowing down when it's time to deliver a solid hit is what we saw all of last year, that plus his inability to get the puck out of his zone with tape to tape passes (he, most of the time, gave the puck to the other team's defence). If he isn't consistent again this year, he doesn't belong on our offensive lines.
Guillaume Latendresse #84 Right Wing
Height: 6-2 Weight: 229 Shoots: Left
Born: May 24, 1987 Ste. Catherine, Quebec
Draft: 2005 - 2nd round (45th overall) by the Montreal Canadiens

19 year old 2nd round draft choice and potential slow developing power forward who has earned a full time spot on an up and coming team. Not too bad.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresNoOtherNames View Post
i've been quiet enough, but why do people keep putting lats on the first line or second? he was useless last year, im sorry i like him but seriously he has not earned the recognition that some of you people give him. ps, y would u want our first line weaker than our 2nd and 3rd?
WTH with your avatar?!!?

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Russeltown

I believe that Montreal will play a puck-owning system with a lot of pressure on opponent's puck carrier. They could easily then pass the puck back to the defense, that can make a good pass in the offensive zone.

So, I go with Koivu as our shutdown center.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Kovalev is good at pinching guys and stripping them of the puck. He's so good at reading people's moves, that same ability that lets him deke people's pants off helps him out defensively when he doesn't have the puck but wants it back.
Just wanted to quote you as this is indeed very true. A great asset on the PK.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
yukoner

Quote:
theres no way lats is good enough to crack habs top 2 lines....like are you kidding me?...this is his year...if he dosn't prove himself this year...other young prospects are gonna slowly replace him....i just through him on the shutdown line...cuz just amagine him with tanguay and koivu?...he would have such a hard time to keep up lol
LMAO, a 21 year old blossoming Power Forward, and this is 'his year'?

Come on man, he's young, and PF's almost always come into their own in their mid-twenties. He's still developing, it doesn't matter where he plays as long as he gains experience.

With that said, a line of Latendresse - Koivu - Tanguay might be interesting, letting Higgins play a more natural checking role on line 3, though Lats would have a hell of a time keeping up with Tangauy out there.

Last edited by yukoner: 07-10-2008 at 11:36 AM.
yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
Latendresse playing a 'shutdown role' just doesn't make sense to me.
Why? It would help him improve his most deficient areas. By playing a checking role he works on his speed, his back checking, his defensive awareness his positioning and his work ethic.

To me, there are no questions about Lats' offensive game, he's already a better shooter/passer than Higgins is, and has Top-6 NHL calibre offensive skills. He doesn't need to work on that area, nearly as much as his defensive / positioning game.

And, for what it's worth, anyone paying attention last year saw a BIG improvement in his defensive game, he was becoming a fairly effective checking winger.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
newsylalonde100

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
LMAO, a 21 year old blossoming Power Forward, and this is 'his year'?

Come on man, he's young, and PF's almost always come into their own in their mid-twenties. He's still developing, it doesn't matter where he plays as long as he gains experience.

With that said, a line of Latendresse - Koivu - Tanguay might be interesting, letting Higgins play a more natural checking role on line 3, though Lats would have a hell of a time keeping up with Tangauy out there.

well he's already going in his 3rd year...and there has been very limited signs of what he can do...the last 2 years he's played with pretty good players...with koivu for a good chunk of the 2 years....and you want to keep him just incase in the next 3-4 years he becomes a good pf? well for one pf don't exel in the new hockey (great ex. bertuzzi) and not only is speed very important in the new hockey...thats what the habs are about...and i'd much rather see guys like max pacioretty or matt D'agostini step in......and whos to say lats never becomes a good player.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Le Slow Poke*

Quote:
well he's already going in his 3rd year...and there has been very limited signs of what he can do...the last 2 years he's played with pretty good players...with koivu for a good chunk of the 2 years....and you want to keep him just incase in the next 3-4 years he becomes a good pf? well for one pf don't exel in the new hockey (great ex. bertuzzi) and not only is speed very important in the new hockey...thats what the habs are about...and i'd much rather see guys like max pacioretty or matt D'agostini step in......and whos to say lats never becomes a good player.
Amen

Le Slow Poke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Although your comments make a lot of sense, i just want to point out that on his first NHL game, Chip was matched with the Crosby line and did an awsome job on one of the best player in the league.

Chip will probably start the season on the 4th line but he will work his way up. He only needs needs time. Lapierre is just not a 3rd line center and has no offensive upside as a center. Chip did an amazing job in the short time he was with the big club.
He wasn't amazing at all. I cannot believe how some people are imagining things that are not there.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:27 PM
BadKiwi

Chipchura and Latendresse were very impressive last year keeping the puck down low. I'd add someone with speed to back check quickly in case they get caught and that line could be pretty useful shutting down the opposition. If Sundin signs a Plekanec Higgins duo would be sweet.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
hum, no.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He wasn't amazing at all. I cannot believe how some people are imagining things that are not there.
an "upcoming" player in the minors is always better than an "adjusting" player in the NHL.

Those are the rules of HFboards it seems!

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

With Sundin;

Sundin, Koivu, or Plekanec.

Without Sundin;

Chipchura.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
newsylalonde100

[QUOTE=Bob De Funes;14825284]hum, no.[/Q

then who did he play with??, you tell me then????? deffinitly not smoke...and he wasn't playing 4th line so..

????

Old
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
newsylalonde100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob De Funes View Post
hum, no.

then who did he play with??, you tell me then????? deffinitly not smoke...and lats deffinitly wasn't playing 4th line so.. get back to me on that one

????