HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm Curious: How Will You Remember Jagr?

View Poll Results: How will you remember Jagr:
A Great Leader; gave it his all; he was TEAM FIRST and didnt care about himself. 13 10.40%
A Good leader; gave it his all most of the time; still total respect for what he did to turn around the franchise 93 74.40%
An average leader; cared about himself too much; ; ill still give him a little respect 13 10.40%
Below average leader; ME, Me, Me, just wanted to make himself look good 4 3.20%
Terrible leader ; one of the worst ever had ; only cared about himself 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
NY Ranger86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Below average. Any guy that rejects the captaincy shouldn't be leading the team.

He did a lot for the franchise, but I certainly don't translate his point production into leadership ability.
he didnt want the captain position because he was new to the team. and thats understandable...he wanted to earn it, not just have it given to him because hes "Jagr". But him not missing ONE regular season game in 3 years for us means nothing. Or him taking the heat any time we lose cause we EXPECTED him to score every chance he had. He took on A LOT, and handled it greatly. Perfect? no. but who is. Jags is the F'in man and anyone who thinks otherwise doesnt appreciate hockey. let alone being blessed with watching a hockey GREAT.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
You see, people dont hate him...

They just wanted to move in a different direction.

He will be remembered.
Judging by some comments on the board, some felt Jagr leading the team was bringing it down. Which is why I asked. But it seems now most think he led our team very well.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
he didnt want the captain position because he was new to the team. and thats understandable...he wanted to earn it, not just have it given to him because hes "Jagr". But him not missing ONE regular season game in 3 years for us means nothing. Or him taking the heat any time we lose cause we EXPECTED him to score every chance he had. He took on A LOT, and handled it greatly. Perfect? no. but who is. Jags is the F'in man and anyone who thinks otherwise doesnt appreciate hockey. let alone being blessed with watching a hockey GREAT.
But he wanted the highest contract on the team because he's "Jagr" and thats how he measures respect. Sure, was there for every game, but did he really show up for every game? Not a chance in hell.

He caught hell if we lost because he was the superstar. That kind of crap comes with the territory, don't give me this "Oh but he took so much ****" nonsense. If he wanted to be considered the best player on the team, people were going to expect a lot out of him. That's the way it works.

Hall of Fame talent? Yes. Fun to watch on most nights? Sure. But because I don't think Jagr is the 'F'in man," I don't appreciate hockey. Thanks for clearing that up.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
aslim240

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
I guess for me the issue was his play vs being a captain.

Great player (the last year was rough, sans playoffs).

As a leader, it's hard not to remember:

the no-go on penalty shot (he's our go to guy)
not wanting the C in the first year
the last few weeks/months with meetings with Omsk during the season
his comments that he took off part of the reg season for the playoffs (when getting in wasn't a slam dunk)
his need of "love (ie money)" from the NYR when we built our team and style around him

So great player yes, not the best leader IMO.

All that said, I'll remember him as a great member of the NYR.
I basically agree with this post. If I was rating player and leader on scale of 1-5, player 5, Leader 3.

I argued with people in the stands when they boo'd him (there was more of that 2 seasons ago than last year).

Think his effort was underrated, because his positioning and battles were like Greco-Roman wrestling when the fans love WWF.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:53 AM
JerseyRangers

Great player who was a good captain. Will say that he is probably the best captain we've had since Mess which is pretty good company!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

As a Ranger specifically, other then being my favorite Ranger while he was here, i will remember him as making the Rangers matter again. And him having the single greatest season in Rangers history.

His tenure will also coincide with me graduating college, meeting my Fiancee, and my daughter being born.

As an NHL player in general:

I will remember him more as a great player, IMO the greatest European forward to ever play the game.

I will remember him as having the strongest legs in the history of mankind. Tree trunks.

I will remember him as a player that i admire, and that he will always be misunderstood and subject to false criticism.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
McMonster

I really enjoyed watching Jagr but he turned out to be just one of the many Rangers' superstars that couldn't get us a cup

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Jagr is the greatest European to ever play the game and probably one of the 15 greatest players in NHL history. Yes, without him, this team may not have escaped mediocrity as quick as it did. He was a true superstar in this league and one of the greatest offensive players to ever play the sport.

But that doesn't negate his flaws, and they were many.

As many great plays as he made for this team, don't forget about all the bad ones. How many times did he try to make the play "his way" instead of doing it the right way, only to turn the puck over, often resulting in a great scoring chance or even goal for the opposition? What made those instances, and they were many, even more amusing was the absurdly lazy way he got back down the ice, or even worse, skated to the bench. The word defense wasn't in Jarda's vocabulary.

So many times he would turn the puck over on a horrible pass and then hang his head and ever so slowly glide back to the bench while the other team rushed up the ice. Let's recall the many stupid penalties he took, or even the play against Gomez in the playoffs. Real smart decision there, Jags.

Gotta love our power play, too. Even though every team in the league knew exactly what he was going to do and where he was going to do it, Jaromir still felt the need to do it his way. And his way, since it was "his team", meant our power play was mediocre at best.

Or how about the fact that, for the last three years, every single decision that Tom Renney made was done so with the little voice in the back of his head that went "can't piss of Jags."

Well, guess what? That's not conducive to winning. Now, I'm not saying that you don't have to keep all players happy, but when you have to tiptoe around a guy with every move you make, that can't possibly be productive. If he really loved this team and playing here as much as he said he did, he would have understood that with his declining abilities came a declining salary. This team could not have progressed if it had met his demands, so they moved on, and rightfully so.

By the way, let's not forget how we acquired him. We got him for virtually nothing because he quit on his last team and had become such a nuisance to the Capitals that they were willing to pay half his salary in exchange for what, Anson Carter? How about his great "I'm dying alive" quote in Pittsburgh? Boy, what a team guy.

I never for a second thought that Jagr put his team before himself. Yes, he loved playing for the New York Rangers, but who wouldn't? The Rangers provide the best facilities and the most luxury of any team in the league.

Look, I don't think he's a bad guy and yes, he was an amazing player, but his talent comes at a price, and personally, I got tired of paying that price VERY quickly as a fan. He's a lot like Avery, I think. He's good for awhile, but his act grows tiresome on the people around him. With him gone, that's one less thing everyone has to worry about.

All that said, I would have understood if they kept him for another year, at a reduced salary, but he wasn't going for either of those things, so that's that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Awesome player, solid leader, inconsistent towards the end. The utmost respect for what he did for our franchise.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Awesome player, solid leader, inconsistent towards the end. The utmost respect for what he did for our franchise.
+2 jags brought respectability back

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:24 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Anyone who doesn't recognize that Jagr was the most significant part of the Rangers' rebirth after the lockout is wrong. Just wrong.

He is the reason we have been competitive, and now he is gone.

We will find out soon enough whether Glen made the right moves or not. I think the team needed to move in a forward direction, but I was hoping for one more transition year with Jagr in the fold.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Great Leader, who really just wanted to win. i think he cared more about the points the team puts up rather than the points he puts up.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
My biggest issue, in hindsight, with Jags was making him Captain. I would've made Shanny Captain in '06-'07m and let Straka and Jags the As. Yes, the C is very overrated, but you tend to be the focal point of the media with it, and there is a certain amount of tradition and gravitas with it that I don't he was ever comfortable with.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
In The Flesh

The man carried the team on his back to the PO's out of the lockout. That was the best season in a long, long, long time. All the respect. Once the season starts, I know I'm going to be very depressed not seeing #68 out there, and #16 for that matter, especially if we're stinking up the joint. Ugh. This Ranger team will need some getting used to, thats forsure.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Look, you have to be grateful to a player that took use from being a continual disappointment to a contender. And honestly, the first year it was mostly he and Hank.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
BwayBshirt

from a single game(s) perspective...both happening in 2005-06:

the philly game at home where the rangers lost 6-4. i know it was a loss(and a damn tough one too...another hollweg lowlight) but jagr scoring that hat trick to tie the game up when it looked like philly was going to roll i couldn't help but get goosebumps seeing all those hats flying in the air and the chants of "MVP" raining down from the stands. not to mention that game where i was watching was on TSN and to hear the crew---i believe it was miller and maguire---being in so much awe and praise for jagr was awesome.

also the 4-0 shutout of toronto at home later in the season. when the p.a. announcer(not tolleson, the other guy) announced on a prucha goal that jagr had recorded his 100th point of the season you could hear on tv the crowd going wild for a moment and then the chants happened again.

i know this thread is about general memory of him but i just wanted to toss out those moments particularly because i thought it was so cool that we were able to see one of the best ever at his finest and not have some secondary moments or afterthoughts.

we, as rangers fans whether you liked him or not, were actually able to witness some of his brilliance. i'll always remember that.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I will remember him as the most explosive and dangerous offensive player to ever wear a Rangers uniform. He came to a franchise thats been around forever and breaks the records. In one season, with a very young team.

Guy was flippin amazing and I am happy I got to see him play everynight for 3 years.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

I know most people will remember him primarily as a Penguin, but the past three-odd years he's been so incredible for us - especially that first season post-lockout - that it'll be hard for me to remember him as anything but a Ranger. The Rangers had been a joke for so long and he helped lead them to the POs and respectability when everyone was saying it couldn't be done. I'll always be grateful to him for that.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Judging by some comments on the board, some felt Jagr leading the team was bringing it down. Which is why I asked. But it seems now most think he led our team very well.
Makes sense that an Islander fan voted Terrible.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:42 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I voted "Good Leader", more because I would reserve "Great Leader" for guys like Messier and Yzerman than because I have any complaints. Jagr was the single greatest reason the Rangers made it back to the playoffs. He was largely responsible for making the Rangers watchable again. He deserves fullest respect.

Ask yourself this: where would this team be today without him?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:17 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

The username of the one guy who chose terrible is hilarious. I chose option 2.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
NYR1724

I will admit that I was very skeptical of him when the trade was made, but as time grew on I really started to like the guy. His interviews were always insightful and while he struggled at times, he turned it on when the Rangers needed him most.

The only thing that I can really harbor ill will against Jags for is how he handled the offers from Omsk. His future was a distraction down the stretch.

Seemed like a good guy, he was a good captain, and he definitely took way too much **** in my book.

He made hockey fun again for Rangers fans though. 2005-2006 season he was a monster. Its too bad he couldn't win a cup here, I think he really wanted it.

Last edited by NYR1724: 07-11-2008 at 03:04 PM.
NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
As the guy who gave us everything he had for a three year period, led us back to respectability, and put together the greatest individual season in franchise history.

He wasn't perfect, and perhaps was too unwilling and/or unable to adapt to a new system. But the bottom line is that he busted his ass for this team and deserves our respect, admiration, and appreciation.

Totally agree

Recently i cant get game 3 vs pens in this years palyoffs out of my head. He was flying out there, doing a complete different sport than all the others on the ice. (we lost though, Henke couldnt do a single gamewinning save in that game.Wich we are in need of every night, but thats another topic)

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:40 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I was never a huge fan of Jagr but always regarded him as one of the game's very best before he came to NY. After watching him for three seasons, I know his game better and a bit of his personality (was never aware of his sense of humor) and I have more respect for him.

I'll always remember how he made the NHL his ***** in 2005-2006 and his performance in the playoffs in 07 and 08.

The bottom line with Jagr's 3 full seasons with the Rangers is that the team won and returned to postseason hockey, something it hadn't done since the last year of Messier & Gretzky.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote