HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Acquire Rob Davison?

Old
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
joe blow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
I would maybe like to see one more guy who can bang really hard in the top six....
How about in the bottom six, what does everyone think? Is there any other guys out there who are decent (emphasis on decent) skaters, can fight/hit, and are fairly big (i.e. Like Hordichuk or Davison)?

Wouldn't it be interesting in a physical game against, say against Calgary, if Vigneault could say "okay, we are going to roll mostly three forward lines, and our regular six defence, but tonight I think I will put Davison, Hordichuk, and xxx (maybe Aaron Donwey) out on the ice to just pound the other team every time they are out there".

Thoughts?

Maybe I am just too excited that the Canucks now actually have a physical element ;-)

joe blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 0
I like everything I'm hearing about this guy over on the T & R board from Sharks and Isles fans. Apparently a great lockerrom guy, and has some leadership qualities. Likes to drop the gloves, and logged 69 hits in around 30 games last season. Big guy too. We won't be push-overs next year that's for sure. Apparently lateral mobility is an issue.

I see this as an upgrade on Weaver.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Kid_Roll

Most of the guys we get are "good guys" with leadership skills (aside from Wellwood. Sorry Kyle.) It's nice to see Gillis stick to his plan.

It will be fun to see if Gillis' theory works, that this kind of player will breed success.

This must be King Ryan's worst nightmare though, because essentially Gillis is hunting down all the "clutch" players he can find.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
MS

Perfect #7 defender. Adds size/grit to the blueline and has a real quality reputation in the dressing room. Nice addition.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
I've thrown that out a couple times, but apparently he had one good game and was terrible the rest of the time and benched a fair bit. I remember him being really solid.
I also remember him being solid.. weird stuff.

PuckMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:59 PM
fogducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMunchkin View Post
I also remember him being solid.. weird stuff.
everyone seems solid when playing against the Canucks

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
smileyface

I don't know much about him but from the looks of it, he's a good depth guy. He's also a former client of Gillis.

smileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Not a bad acquisition for you guys. He's good in a limited role as a 7th d-man and can be a 4th line forward on occasion (though he's better utilized on the blueline.). Gritty, mostly stay-at-home guy with a little bit of offence (and he was a cult hero for a shootout goal for the Sharks too) who can drop the gloves. He's also not a complainer. He understands his role and he accepts it no questions asked. He spent most of his time with teh Sharks in the pressbox and not once do I remember him complaining about it.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 23 GP, 9-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:03 PM
YogiCanucks

Why is there still a question mark at the end of this thread? waiting for confirmation.

Maybe Gillis wants him as out 6th and moving Bieska out??? probably not the reason we got him.. but you never know.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Peter Griffin

Good pick-up for the Canucks. He's an upgrade of McIver and this now allows the Canucks to keep Baumgartner in Manitoba to mentor/lead that defense

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Zorbane

According to Rick Ball he is a former Gillis client

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow View Post
How about in the bottom six, what does everyone think? Is there any other guys out there who are decent (emphasis on decent) skaters, can fight/hit, and are fairly big (i.e. Like Hordichuk or Davison)?

Wouldn't it be interesting in a physical game against, say against Calgary, if Vigneault could say "okay, we are going to roll mostly three forward lines, and our regular six defence, but tonight I think I will put Davison, Hordichuk, and xxx (maybe Aaron Donwey) out on the ice to just pound the other team every time they are out there".

Thoughts?

Maybe I am just too excited that the Canucks now actually have a physical element ;-)
I'm liking it too. I don't really think the bottom six needs any more tweaking though. If we run:

Burrows Kesler Pyatt
Hordichuk Johnson Pettinger

along with our pretty tough d (esp Bieksa and Davison) I think we can roll with just about any tough team, and intimidate many. I think we're tough enough (to quote NKOTB).

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Hordichuk alone has shown that he'll fight anyone. That alone is AWESOME.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Shareefruck

He was on the pk in that video where he scored the long goal against TO.

Interesting. Good depth signing. Personally I would have been okay with Baumgartner as the 7th guy, so this looks good.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
hlrsr

This guys tough.. but can he play ? I honestly don't know much about him.

He is being regarded as a Weaver replacement, but what about the Miller replacement? Is he the rugged, bottom-pairing, crease-clearing defenseman like Miller was? Or are we assuming Krajicek will fulfill that role?

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
manawaki

A big physical defenseman that likes to drop the gloves once in a while, what more could you ask for out of a 7th guy? This is a depth move and a massive upgrade over Weaver

manawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
This guys tough.. but can he play ? I honestly don't know much about him.

He is being regarded as a Weaver replacement, but what about the Miller replacement? Is he the rugged, bottom-pairing, crease-clearing defenseman like Miller was? Or are we assuming Krajicek will fulfill that role?
Well, last season the Canucks weren't expecting to have Edler in the lineup full-time. The only reason a player like Miller was needed was because the Canucks only had 5 regular defensemen. Miller isn't much of a rugged crease-clearer either.

The only way they bring in a bottom pairing guy like that is if they trade one of the defensemen currently on the roster.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Well, last season the Canucks weren't expecting to have Edler in the lineup full-time. The only reason a player like Miller was needed was because the Canucks only had 5 regular defensemen. Miller isn't much of a rugged crease-clearer either.

The only way they bring in a bottom pairing guy like that is if they trade one of the defensemen currently on the roster.
Yeah, that's why I was wondering if they are thinking Krajicek will fulfill that role as the #6 D, given that Edler will now have a full-time spot.

I thought Miller was a very solid addition for what he brought to the table. I don't mean crease-clearing as though he's throwing guys away from the net, but clearing away loose pucks. He was very solid in his own end and I thought he was a valuable guy to have back there on the bottom-pairing, and to pair with a guy like Krajicek.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
manawaki

^ Miller looked way too slow on far too many occasions...he was a poor man's Murray Baron

manawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
everyone seems solid when playing against the Canucks
Brown never played against the Canucks. At least not since he moved to the East coast.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:51 PM
QuickDynamite

Seems like a good 7th d-man. Big, tough guy, seems decent defensively and fights alot. And wins many of those fights. Not exactly old either, only 28 year old.

QuickDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawaki View Post
^ Miller looked way too slow on far too many occasions...he was a poor man's Murray Baron
He was supposed to be the rich man's Murray Baron. Former Olympian yada yada yada.

I'd expect him to retire this year.

I like having both Baumer and Davison - gives different looking depth, depending on the team's needs.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
aftu

Confirmed on canucks.com

Just in case the question mark is throwing people off.

aftu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I like having both Baumer and Davison - gives different looking depth, depending on the team's needs.
I was thinking the same thing - gives AV the opportunity to change the look of the team depending on who they play. Imagine that - a GM that gives his coach options to work with!

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:56 PM
orcatown

One thing that allowed Brown to make a better impression here was the contrast with the dreadful Weinrich. Lack of subsequent interest in Brown here and elsewhere was indication of where he really stood. Might also be a factor the he was so fearful of flying. I think that is one resaon he went to Germany.

When we played with San Jose Davison always seemed to be playing the wing. Seemed to me that he was a decent skater but not very skillful. Guy was a willing fighter but seemed mostly prepared to wrestle around and not really throw punches. Still he provides some toughness to a team the absolutely needs it.

I think an upgrade on Weaver. Weaver had a few excellent games down the stretch but overall made too may turnovers and couldn't handle size around the net. More than this, his forward skating was not good enough to be able to move up offensively. Ended up making a lot of long passes. Weaver had immense trouble supporting the puck. From what I've seen of Davison he has good speed going forward. Where he may be lacking is in agility and quickenss.

Davison could be the player that finally provides some deterence to people crashing Luongo. Will be very useful in games were Canucks get physicaly challenged. In this area a huge upgrade on Weaver, who amoung others made the Canucks too samll.

From all reports is a very good leader and has great character. I think a very uselful pickup. Versatile player that provides toughness and can fill in decently on defense. Sort of compares to the Oiler pick up of Strudrick.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote