HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypothetical question

Old
07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Would you trade Gomez and Drury for Jagr and Avery?

Disregard money, contacts and other business. Just who would you rather have next season wearing Ranger sweaters.

I'd say YES!!!
NO WAY dude............come on Jagr at this pt is past his prime........yea still good but only 1 or 2 more yrs in the tank..............Avery is a great pest but NOT in the same league as Gomez and Drury who are all around GREAT 2 way players and leaders and WINNERS

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
even so... Avery is the type of player who you would never want to give a NTC to b/c chances are you are going to want to get rid of him in a couple of years b/c of his antics.
Looking forward to Aminisev hopefully turning the corner in Hartford so he is up by the ALL STAR break

I mean if Drury does move to the wing to make room and the C are
Gomez
Dubinsky
Aminisev
Betts

That would be the ideal situation given the lack of depth on the wings but for the time being I see Petr Prucha getting 2nd line time and Dubinsky as the 3rd line C with Fritsche and Callahan

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
.............Avery is a great pest but NOT in the same league as Gomez and Drury who are all around GREAT 2 way players and leaders and WINNERS
The true winners were goalies they played with and coaches they played for. and THEY STILL ARE. They done nothing in here so far, unlike Jagr AND Avery.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:37 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

nope

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

well, if youre going to disregard their contract, then obviously youd rather keep gomez+drury because of their age. Jagr has 1, maybe 2 more good years left in him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
ThirdEye

Come on...

Drury and Gomez are both spectacular players. Neither really played up to their potential last season and I think this season, especially without Jagr (no offense to him or anything, but he was the elephant in the room), they will both have better seasons.

I think we are much better suited for the playoffs this year than last (at least on paper). I think this team can do some serious damage in the postseason if we make it (and I hope we will, as anything else will be a huge letdown given our roster).

Be patient...

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Looking forward to Aminisev hopefully turning the corner in Hartford so he is up by the ALL STAR break

I mean if Drury does move to the wing to make room and the C are
Gomez
Dubinsky
Aminisev
Betts

That would be the ideal situation given the lack of depth on the wings but for the time being I see Petr Prucha getting 2nd line time and Dubinsky as the 3rd line C with Fritsche and Callahan
ANISIMOV(sp)

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
The true winners were goalies they played with and coaches they played for. and THEY STILL ARE. They done nothing in here so far, unlike Jagr AND Avery.
So Gomez's 11 points in 10 games in the postseason is nothing to you?

As for Drury, he was injured, and he didn't exactly have the best line mates to work with.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Come on...

Drury and Gomez are both spectacular players. Neither really played up to their potential last season and I think this season, especially without Jagr (no offense to him or anything, but he was the elephant in the room), they will both have better seasons.

I think we are much better suited for the playoffs this year than last (at least on paper). I think this team can do some serious damage in the postseason if we make it (and I hope we will, as anything else will be a huge letdown given our roster).

Be patient...
wow we are just throwing around compliments these days. If they are spectacular that what is say Heatly, or Nash... I dare not even ask Crosby or Ovechkin.

bottom line is that they are good players... nowhere near spectacular.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
the rangers last season had no depth on wing.....drury playing with prucha, callahan, hossa is rediculous......those are good borderline 3rd liners.....gomez playing with shanahan and leading the team in points until the last game of the season is a good season IMO consdering shanahan couldnt skate anymore

Old
07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
wow we are just throwing around compliments these days. If they are spectacular that what is say Heatly, or Nash... I dare not even ask Crosby or Ovechkin.

i will put them in the all-star category......second-tier superstars.....

Old
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
gomez yes, drury no. How can Drury be labeled an All-Star when he has never broke 70 pts in a season, and has never played in an All-Star game. he is an above avg to good player. not an all-star.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
McMonster

not a chance

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Yes, I still think both are spectacular. Drury is a beast in the postseason, an excellent two way forward, an a great leader. Gomez can definitely get 75-80 points with the right wingers and he's got tons of postseason experience (where he also excels)

Crosby and Ovechkin are more like out of this world players, in that they basically stand alone. Plus, both those teams had to tank to get those players. This team can't do that right now for obvious reasons

Old
07-10-2008, 02:59 PM
94now

Quote:
There is no such a thing. Second tire superstars are just lame stars. That is who they are.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
There is no such a thing. Second tire superstars are just lame stars. That is who they are.
so everyone outside of crosby, malkin, lecavelier, ovechkin, kovalchuk, lidstrom, datsyuk, zetterberg, iginla are lame stars?........

obviously there are some i missed however their are tiers....

Old
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Yes, I still think both are spectacular. Drury is a beast in the postseason, an excellent two way forward, an a great leader. Gomez can definitely get 75-80 points with the right wingers and he's got tons of postseason experience (where he also excels)

Crosby and Ovechkin are more like out of this world players, in that they basically stand alone. Plus, both those teams had to tank to get those players. This team can't do that right now for obvious reasons
wow... just wow... i guess you just have much lower standards than me.

I hope Gomez can hit those points... he has only hit 70+ 4 times in his career, and only 80 once. He also has one season in the 40's, one in the 50's and two in the 60's. So out of his 8 yr career half his seasons were under 70 pts. Just to point that out.

i guess once a player is on your team he goes from good to amazing real fast, just sounds like a little homerism.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:06 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
So what is your recommendation or suggestion here exactly?

Avery was certainly not a star, and who knows if Jagr could have kept up at 37 when he was obviously exhausted half way through last season.

Quote:
wow... just wow... i guess you just have much lower standards than me.

I hope Gomez can hit those points... he has only hit 70+ 4 times in his career, and only 80 once. He also has one season in the 40's, one in the 50's and two in the 60's. So out of his 8 yr career half his seasons were under 70 pts. Just to point that out.

i guess once a player is on your team he goes from good to amazing real fast, just sounds like a little homerism.
Or you're just being a massive pessimist with unreasonable expectations

Old
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
NYR Viper

what about rick nash?.......he has only had really one good season?.....otherwise he is about average.....

Old
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
So what is your recommendation or suggestion here exactly?

Avery was certainly not a star, and who knows if Jagr could have kept up at 37 when he was obviously exhausted half way through last season.

uh actually he was one of our best players throughout the second half, and was the best player in the playoffs until we were eliminated. not sure when he was exhausted the second half. Shanny on the other hand was.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
NYR Viper

Nash: 363 GP, 154 G, 122 A (.76pts/game)
Gomez: 629 GP, 132 G, 388 A (.83 pts/game)

i understand people saying they arent legitimate superstars....however i guarentee that 80% of nhl teams would love to have either of these players

Old
07-10-2008, 03:12 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
uh actually he was one of our best players throughout the second half, and was the best player in the playoffs until we were eliminated. not sure when he was exhausted the second half. Shanny on the other hand was.
i think he meant how at the beginning of the season renney wore him down which is why his point totals were so low at the beginning of the season....plus he was on a new team, in a new city, playing with new linemates every other game and different positions(as he shifted to wing).....i am not trying to make excuses, however i think we all saw how well he played when he was comfortable(2nd half).....

Old
07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
no i'm just telling it like it is. If a player never makes an all-star team, nor breaks 70 pts in a season he is by no means an all-star let alone spectacular. he is a good sound player but that's it.

now if you are going by his paycheck than yes that is spectacular (for him).

I mean Alexei Yashin put up better #'s than both of them. Better #'s than drury when he was w/ the piles. Would you consider him spectacular?

I like your optimisim but you are trying to tell me a pond is the same as an ocean.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
i think he meant how at the beginning of the season renney wore him down which is why his point totals were so low at the beginning of the season....plus he was on a new team, in a new city, playing with new linemates every other game and different positions(as he shifted to wing).....i am not trying to make excuses, however i think we all saw how well he played when he was comfortable(2nd half).....
I don't think we were talking about the same player there. He was talking about how Jagr was exhausted the second half. not drury. who i do agree was way overused in the beginning.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:17 PM
NYR Viper

i really think drury will put up 70-75 points this season......i know i will get flamed for this, but from watching him the second half of the season and considering he will be getting more EV time and i am expecting the pp to be better(which is where he really does his damage) considering he had what 55 points last season......i dont think it is unreasonable