HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Irony of the Rangers vs Devils offseason directions...

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Every summer, someone posts here about how the Rangers are on the rise and the Devils are terminally ill or dead. Last year was the first time in years that the Rangers were better than the Devils and it wasn't by all that much. Without Jagr, maybe not at all. The moral of the story is don't write off the Devils just yet. Their GM's resume is multilevels ahead of ours over their careers, so hold off on the respective celebrations and burials.

It is all well and good to get younger. The key is to get better. Whether they have or not is anybody's guess right now and I'm not just talking about next year.

This offseason should have made it clear that teams can reconfigure themselves quickly but it does not necessarily mean that they are headed in the right direction. The Rangers probably have as many question marks as any NHL team, so to say that they are headed in the right direction is purely conjecture.

No matter how you slice it, this team has partially invested their future in Zherdev, a real boom or bust player. No, he is not the key to everything working out or not working out, but if he isn't a major scorer next year, please tell me who will be.

And don't try selling me the same bill of goods, Peter Prucha, as the answer. Dawes also better become the player some of us hope for or the MSG ice will be littered with small forwards who can't score. Dubinsky is the only young forward that we can be fairly sure has a rosy future. After that I see only maybes.

For all of the youth that is flowing in, I see far better youth (at least so far) floating into Pitt, Wash and Philly.

At some point Sather has to produce far better than he has to date in order to stay in charge or at least that would be the case if the Rangers had normal ownership. With Dolan, Sather could probably accomplish nothing for 20 years and retain his job.

Sather's drafting and overall body of work has been much better over the last few years but that is like saying that the ships that sailed in the years after the Titanic were the greatest ships ever built. The bar that Sather has set for himelf here could not have been easier to beat so spare me the great tales of the success of Sather.

yea, they were close games, but 7-1 in the reg. and 4-1 in the POs is more than a bit.

The NYR have an above average crop of youth thou, compared to tons of teams, we actually have some players that could become something.

Agree on everything about Sather.

Old
07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Is Bergfors a lock for the first line? He hasn't played a game in the NHL yet, has he?
Not much. And he's gotten worse every season in the AHL.

Devils fans penciling him onto the first line are either insane or not that bright.

Old
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Not much. And he's gotten worse every season in the AHL.

Devils fans penciling him onto the first line are either insane or not that bright.
well they are devil fans

Old
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
well they are devil fans

Old
07-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Berfors can't even put up 0.50 Pts per game in the AHL after 3 yrs but he'll be on the first line?

And the prospect pool is still bare bones and a 5'9 Tedenby doesn't change that as he is as boom or bust as can be with that size.

And my main point is that the Devils have gome completely the old NYR way as far as signing significantly older players as well as former players for a 2nd go round.

again, the Devils imrpoved upfront with the addition of Holik and Rolston but at what price?

And the Rangers wouldn't cave like Lou had to to avoid striking out yet again because Slats wouldn't give Jagr a 3rd yr, do you really think he'd give Rolston a 4th like Lou HAD TO DO?

Lenght is the reason Rolston chose NJ and the lenght was overpayment.
Like the Redden contract Now that's a contract I actually would have loved to have on the Devils. And I bet Tedneby has a better NHL career then Cherry, if he ever comes over. And Tedneby may be small, but at least he has heart, not like your top prospect. And we will see about Bergfors, he may turn out a bust and maybe not. Can't wait to play you guys, to bad you got as soft as vanilla ice-cream. Sure will miss Avery.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Like the Redden contract Now that's a contract I actually would have loved to have on the Devils. And I bet Tedneby has a better NHL career then Cherry, if he ever comes over. And Tedneby may be small, but at least he has heart, not like your top prospect. And we will see about Bergfors, he may turn out a bust and maybe not. Can't wait to play you guys, to bad you got as soft as vanilla ice-cream. Sure will miss Avery.
i will make that bet with you.

and the devils are big and bad right. give me a ****ing break, we basicly have the same styles, both teams are soft on top 6 and a little bit tough on bottom 6. im sorry that Colton Orr isnt afraid of guys like Mike Rupp, and Bobby "Sqaure Head" Holik.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
JA wins the prize for longest post of the off season. Cheers!

Also, I'm not going to touch this thread anymore. The Devils suck, Devils fans suck, and I have nothing else to add!

It's just pain.
Old
07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
JA wins the prize for longest post of the off season. Cheers!

it wasnt a post it was a novel, i couldnt even read it

Old
07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
i will make that bet with you.

and the devils are big and bad right. give me a ****ing break, we basicly have the same styles, both teams are soft on top 6 and a little bit tough on bottom 6. im sorry that Colton Orr isnt afraid of guys like Mike Rupp, and Bobby "Sqaure Head" Holik.
Ask me if I care what Holik looks like, just as long as he gets in Henrik's kitchen, he'll look beautiful to me baby. Love it!

Old
07-10-2008, 06:10 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Also love how Jagr and Avery have become bums on the Ranger board.
It appears that most Ranger fans disagree with Jagr being a "bum" according to a poll here right now. I am sure the same goes for Avery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
What we are seeing it almost a total role reversal of the late '90's--early'00's as far as personel decisions and overall philosophy.
And at the end of all this these guys are still crowing about how Ranger managements has lost their minds but yet Lou had such a great summer that he has redeemed himself from being hands down one of the worst 5 GM's since the lockout ended!
Pretty much sums it up although tough to take for most. GM's get too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when things go wrong.

The funny thing is the Rangers got stronger on Defense and younger, while the Devils did little on Defense and added to aging forwards.

Rolston will be solid for 2 years but after that who knows (see: Shanahan skating in quick sand) People will wonder again why Lamoriello signed a 35 yr old to a multi year contract...again.

If it wasn't for a very fortunate 18-ish month period in the early 90's, when 3 Hall of Famers (1 current, 2 to be) fell in the Devils lap, Lamoriello has been pretty average. And he's been poor since the lockout.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
yea, they were close games, but 7-1 in the reg. and 4-1 in the POs is more than a bit.

The NYR have an above average crop of youth thou, compared to tons of teams, we actually have some players that could become something.

Agree on everything about Sather.
to be fair though, alot of those games were very close. most were 1 or 2 goal game, the second goal being EN. i think that is what he was trying to say by not being that much better.

there were alot of games that could have gone either way.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Ask me if I care what Holik looks like, just as long as he gets in Henrik's kitchen, he look beautiful to me baby. Love it!
Because Bobby Holik will return to 2000 form....yeah okay, Just ask any Thrasher fan how they feel about his past season. and also please explain to me how the devils are big and bad, and the rangers are soft and fluffy.

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev. Okay that line is soft yes i agree with
Prucha-Drury-Dubinsky. Dubinsky is a young powerfoward that is physical and Drury isnt afraid to drop the mits.
Dawes-Fritsche-Callahan. Fritsche is very similar to Dubinsky, where he will fight and hit. and i believe callahan can make a couple hits per game
Voros/Orr/Hollweg-Betts-Sjostrom. Okay, there isnt one player on this line who isnt afraid to make a hit or two per shift.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
wow surprisingly enough the person who agrees with this has a very comical signature of pure stupidity. now thats something to at.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
ALine9900

Why does age matter when we need to win now? The Devils haven't been this deep on offense in a long time, the only age any of us are concerned with is Brodeur's. Rolston and Holik added more to our team than people realize. I'll worry about Rolston's contract in 4 years, if I ever have to even worry about it at all. The Rangers just lost two of their most important players, I would be a lot more worried about that than Brian Rolston's age. You're right about one thing, we did choose very different paths.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4check View Post
wow surprisingly enough the person who agrees with this has a very comical signature of pure stupidity. now thats something to at.
i think he is being sarcastic. but c'mon Bergfors on 1st line. you guys wont get past the 1st round.....again

Old
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine9900 View Post
Why does age matter when we need to win now? The Devils haven't been this deep on offense in a long time, the only age any of us are concerned with is Brodeur's. Rolston and Holik added more to our team than people realize. I'll worry about Rolston's contract in 4 years, if I ever have to even worry about it at all. The Rangers just lost two of their most important players, I would be a lot more worried about that than Brian Rolston's age. You're right about one thing, we did choose very different paths.
i didnt know Lundqvist left. thanks for telling me.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
It appears that most Ranger fans disagree with Jagr being a "bum" according to a poll here right now. I am sure the same goes for Avery.

Pretty much sums it up although tough to take for most. GM's get too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when things go wrong.

The funny thing is the Rangers got stronger on Defense and younger, while the Devils did little on Defense and added to aging forwards.

Rolston will be solid for 2 years but after that who knows (see: Shanahan skating in quick sand) People will wonder again why Lamoriello signed a 35 yr old to a multi year contract...again.

If it wasn't for a very fortunate 18-ish month period in the early 90's, when 3 Hall of Famers (1 current, 2 to be) fell in the Devils lap, Lamoriello has been pretty average. And he's been poor since the lockout.

For a guy who has been so poor and and team on the down-swing, what the heck does that say about the mighty Rangers, when since the lock-out have fallen behind the Devils in all three season and have the same identical playoff record. And don't say Marty, because the Rags have had Lundqvist. To me it means the Rangers over-pay for free agents like Gomez and Redden and overrate their prospects and Sather ain't better then Lou either. The record speaks for it self. We suck, but we always come out with the better record.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:21 PM
ALine9900

Quote:
i didnt know Lundqvist left. thanks for telling me.
I consider Jagr and Avery important, obviously Lundqvist is the most important. I said "two of", not ALL of.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
For a guy who has been so poor and and team on the down-swing, what the heck does that say about the mighty Rangers, when since the lock-out have fallen behind the Devils in all three season and have the same identical playoff record. And don't say Marty, because the Rags have had Lundqvist. To me it means the Rangers over-pay for free agents like Gomez and Redden and overrate their prospects and Sather ain't better then Lou either. The record speaks for it self. We suck, but we always come out with the better record.
you guys had a WAYYYY better team in 2005-06.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:22 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Childish, very childish.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
i think he is being sarcastic. but c'mon Bergfors on 1st line. you guys wont get past the 1st round.....again
well personally, your one of the rags fans i actually like, seeing you post things that arent just stupid and immature. so i will be civil with you.

i think the reason everyone has bergfors on their first line is because he is the kind of player who needs to be motivated. he needs to be playing with first line talent to be succesful. if he is placed on a lower line he will not try and be ineffective, hense what happened this year in lowell after his injury.

He certainly has the skill to be up there, but his motivation is a prime factor in his not so good development that has taken place the last couple of seasons.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine9900 View Post
I consider Jagr and Avery important, obviously Lundqvist is the most important.
Yes i agree with you that both players are important. but i honestly dont think avery is even top 5. i think the top 5 is Henke, JJ, Gomez, Drury, and Staal.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
you guys had a WAYYYY better team in 2005-06.
Not by what your fellow Ranger posters write.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4check View Post
well personally, your one of the rags fans i actually like, seeing you post things that arent just stupid and immature. so i will be civil with you.

i think the reason everyone has bergfors on their first line is because he is the kind of player who needs to be motivated. he needs to be playing with first line talent to be succesful. if he is placed on a lower line he will not try and be ineffective, hense what happened this year in lowell after his injury.

He certainly has the skill to be up there, but his motivation is a prime factor in his not so good development that has taken place the last couple of seasons.
none of us are NHL experts, just fans. so i guess we will just see what happens. Bergfors may surprise me and get 40-60 points this year. i honestly dont know what is going to happen.

Old
07-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Advice to Devils fans: don't bother.

Closed Thread