HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Irony of the Rangers vs Devils offseason directions...

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
none of us are NHL experts, just fans. so i guess we will just see what happens. Bergfors may surprise me and get 40-60 points this year. i honestly dont know what is going to happen.
Why cant there be more like you?

Rangers are a formidable opponent, and I love the rivalry. But threads and chest beating like this is what makes me angry.

Rangers completely owned the Devils this past year, and may do it again. What's the need to call out our GM and completely thrash what semi-valuable youth the team has? Its childsh, and just shows how jealous some kids around here are.

I mean honestly.... im done.

Old
07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I was just wondering if Ranger fans know if Rolston came with some type of expiration date, because they all seem to be experts in stating that he'll help for two years. Maybe it will be 2 1/2?

Old
07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
ALine9900

Quote:
Yes i agree with you that both players are important. but i honestly dont think avery is even top 5. i think the top 5 is Henke, JJ, Gomez, Drury, and Staal.
Avery was a thorn in New Jersey's side ever since he came to NYC. Losing him is going to make the Rangers a lot easier to play against, sorry. IMO anyway.

Old
07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine9900 View Post
Avery was a thorn in New Jersey's side ever since he came to NYC. Losing him is going to make the Rangers a lot easier to play against, sorry. IMO.
that is true, but like i said before, we still dont know what will happen. maybe Voros will take Avery's place and annoy the hell out of Brodeur, Maybe he wont. you really cant predict how the season is going to be. i remember reading a prediction (forgot which mag) but it said Rangers vs. Ducks SC. they were a bit off, eh?

Old
07-10-2008, 07:36 PM
ALine9900

Quote:
that is true, but like i said before, we still dont know what will happen. maybe Voros will take Avery's place and annoy the hell out of Brodeur, Maybe he wont. you really cant predict how the season is going to be. i remember reading a prediction (forgot which mag) but it said Rangers vs. Ducks SC. they were a bit off, eh?
Maybe you should tell this to JA#11 so he can get over his obsession with the Devils and Brian Rolston. I agree though, peace.

Old
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Hate to break it to you guys, but I have to side with the Devils guys here, at least on certain points.

1) I think Tedenby will be a better player than Del Zotto. EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't say better, but I'll just say I think the Rangers should have drafted him rather than Del Zotto, when they already have Sanguinetti.

2) Signing Holik made perfect sense FOR THE DEVILS. It wouldn't have made any sense for some teams to sign him, but, on a one year deal with the team they have now, Holik should be a very good piece next season. He can still play solid defensive hockey and kill penalties, and on the fourth line, he won't have to play that much.

3) Rolston is far less a risk than Redden. Sure, he might be crap the last year, maybe even two of his career, but he's still a very dependable player. Redden, meanwhile, has already been bad for two years. There are all sorts of questions and issues about him. The only issue about Rolston is that he's getting older, but for the Devils, who DON'T have 14 million dollars locked up long term in two guys who don't warrant such salaries (ala Drury and Gomez) can afford to pay Rolston 5 million, even if he isn't so great the last year or two of his deal.

4) As for Bergfors, I thought he was an excellent pick when they drafted him, but as of right now, I think the jury is still out. We'll have to see how he does. He may not end up being what they thought he'd be, but I expect he'll still be a solid 2nd line offensive player.

Bottom line, we Ranger fans keep expecting the Devils to go away, and like most teams, there has to be a period of rebuilding for them, but I think Lou has done a great job of postponing that for at least another year or two, which gives them some extra time to refill the cupboards. And while they're cupboards might be dryer than usual, they have a much better record of drafting than the Rangers do.

Criticizing Lou isn't very smart. It's funny, I think the best GM in the league is David Poile, even though he has so many things going against him because he works in Nashville. Well, Lou is right up there. At worst, he's one of the top 5 GMs in the league, and he too has a lot more issues to deal with then, say, Slats, simply because he works for a team like the Devils.

Old
07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Like the Redden contract Now that's a contract I actually would have loved to have on the Devils. And I bet Tedneby has a better NHL career then Cherry, if he ever comes over. And Tedneby may be small, but at least he has heart, not like your top prospect. And we will see about Bergfors, he may turn out a bust and maybe not. Can't wait to play you guys, to bad you got as soft as vanilla ice-cream. Sure will miss Avery.
I love when fans claim to know if a player has heart or not.

soft as vanilla ice-cream, not as soft as Charmin. It may look like that, but our bottom 6 could be real........not soft. We'll miss Avery, whos going to deny that???? It sucks having a BS GM?? All I can say.

Byers Fritsche Callahan
Sjostrom Betts Orr/Voros
Hollweg

if it looks something like this, mighty nice

Old
07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
totally not true, there have always been some haters of each but most do not think that.

The devils up front are good, on the blueline, they stink.
its the same defense as last year (so far) abd we allowed the least amount of goals in the east last year. of course if we didnt have marty we would probably be around 10 imo or worse but still our defense isnt as bad as most people make it out to be. martin and oudya are going to be better

Old
07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Hate to break it to you guys, but I have to side with the Devils guys here, at least on certain points.

1) I think Tedenby will be a better player than Del Zotto.

2) Signing Holik made perfect sense FOR THE DEVILS. It wouldn't have made any sense for some teams to sign him, but, on a one year deal with the team they have now, Holik should be a very good piece next season. He can still play solid defensive hockey and kill penalties, and on the fourth line, he won't have to play that much.

3) Rolston is far less a risk than Redden. Sure, he might be crap the last year, maybe even two of his career, but he's still a very dependable player. Redden, meanwhile, has already been bad for two years. There are all sorts of questions and issues about him. The only issue about Rolston is that he's getting older, but for the Devils, who DON'T have 14 million dollars locked up long term in two guys who don't warrant such salaries (ala Drury and Gomez) can afford to pay Rolston 5 million, even if he isn't so great the last year or two of his deal.

4) As for Bergfors, I thought he was an excellent pick when they drafted him, but as of right now, I think the jury is still out. We'll have to see how he does. He may not end up being what they thought he'd be, but I expect he'll still be a solid 2nd line offensive player.

Bottom line, we Ranger fans keep expecting the Devils to go away, and like most teams, there has to be a period of rebuilding for them, but I think Lou has done a great job of postponing that for at least another year or two, which gives them some extra time to refill the cupboards. And while they're cupboards might be dryer than usual, they have a much better record of drafting than the Rangers do.

Criticizing Lou isn't very smart. It's funny, I think the best GM in the league is David Poile, even though he has so many things going against him because he works in Nashville. Well, Lou is right up there. At worst, he's one of the top 5 GMs in the league, and he too has a lot more issues to deal with then, say, Slats, simply because he works for a team like the Devils.
Rolston is a bigger risk than Redden. Due to his age and length of the contract, if Rolston retire's or gets hurt his cap hit is still against the devils no matter what. as if Redden gets hurt in the next couple of seasons his cap will not be against us. i seriously doubt rolston either gets hurt or retire's though.

Old
07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
brylin18

JA#11 before July 1:

04-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Quote:
If our Off-season doesn't go well,
meaning we don't get malone Rolston, or Ryder
than I would take a chance on him
assuming we do not have to give up much for him.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...2&postcount=22

I'm so sorry the Rangers offseason wasn't a success JA#11.....but please try to not stir up a flame war just because you're upset.

Old
07-10-2008, 07:58 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I love when fans claim to know if a player has heart or not.

soft as vanilla ice-cream, not as soft as Charmin. It may look like that, but our bottom 6 could be real........not soft. We'll miss Avery, whos going to deny that???? It sucks having a BS GM?? All I can say.

Byers Fritsche Callahan
Sjostrom Betts Orr/Voros
Hollweg

if it looks something like this, mighty nice
Pandolfo Madden Zubrus/Langenbrunner
Rupp Holik Clarkson

I'm sorry but there isn't a competition between the two.

Old
07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I'm so sorry the Rangers offseason wasn't a success JA#11.....but please try to not stir up a flame war just because you're upset.
okay, but now you seem to be starting a flame war.

Old
07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Lou is clearly less hesitent to give long term contracts to riskier players than Sather. Sather turned down long-term contracts to Nylander and Avery, who are risks of wearing down rapidly, and Jagr who is over 35. with the Malakhov, White, and Rolston signings, Lou doesn't mind the risk as much.

the Holik signing, IMO, was a good one, but the Rolston signing is the type I'd prefer the Rangers to avoid.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
07-10-2008, 08:04 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4check View Post
wow surprisingly enough the person who agrees with this has a very comical signature of pure stupidity. now thats something to at.
well my signature is a joke, it was from a post made by someone on the main board that said Petr Prucha is the next Pavel Bure. there was a Devils fan called ADD-devil950003 who saw the post made in a thread in the trade rumours section the thread was caleed Prucha for Semin.

it was actually a Ranger fan that posted it, anyway what has a joke signature got to do with this thread? it nice to see that even though i had been off this forum for a month things haven't changed.

if you think i really believe that Prucha could be the next Pavel Bure then your the stupid one with no sense of humour.

i suggest you lighten up.

Last edited by z1co80: 07-10-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old
07-10-2008, 08:17 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brylin18 View Post
JA#11 before July 1:

04-21-2008, 12:22 AM

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...2&postcount=22

look up my posts buddy, I wasn't in favor of giving Nylander a 4 yr deal that would see him approaching 40 at the end and I certainly wasn't in favor of giving Rolston a 4 yr deal at 5 million per until he's almost 40 so you can stop kidding yourself buddy.

I like Rolston and said he'd be a good thing for the Devils but again, if the Rangers gave out that contract the Devils fans would be killing it as same old Rangers which is one of the main points in this thread.

And Holik was a good addition to on a one yr deal but again the irony of bringing back a 37 yr old, well past his prime star from a cup winning team being such a ranger'esqe move from the past.

Just admit the trying to hang on and not rebuild while having zero farm system and grossly overeestimating your teams chances next yr as legit cup contenders is such a Rangers '98-2005 trap that Lou and the rest of you kool-aid drinkers are in hook,line and sinker!!!!

Old
07-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Lou is clearly less hesitent to give long term contracts to riskier players than Sather. Sather turned down long-term contracts to Nylander and Avery, who are risks of wearing down rapidly, and Jagr who is over 35. with the Malakhov, White, and Rolston signings, Lou doesn't mind the risk as much.

the Holik signing, IMO, was a good one, but the Rolston signing is the type I'd prefer the Rangers to avoid.
White was in his late 20's when he resigned. Malahhov and Molginy were mistakes, which Lou has admitted, everyone makes them. And I'm not saying this because he's a Ranger, but I'm serious when I say I rather have Rolston at his age for 4 years than Redden for 6 at his salary. But what do I know, I'm posting here on HF instead of working for an NHL franchise.

As for Bergfors, we aren't just putting him on the top lines. We go by what Lamoriello has stated several times although Jon may think he knows more than Lou, who said that Bergfors is a top two line player and that's where he will play if he makes the team. Now he made the team last season and was hurt in a pre-season game, then hurt himself again in Lowell. He played with two bad shoulders and a bad wrist. Now, we will see what the kid is made of. The Devils also hope to see Corrente and another winger Vrana make the team as well, especially with rumors that Gionta will be moved for a defensemen. We will all see how this pans out for Lou and the Devils in a few months.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 07-10-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old
07-10-2008, 08:25 PM
vcx*

The Rangers are like .3yrs (average age) older than the pens. lol...

Old
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs4thCup View Post
Pandolfo Madden Zubrus/Langenbrunner
Rupp Holik Clarkson

I'm sorry but there isn't a competition between the two.

and you guys talk about us having money tied up in guys...how many LTC's and how many millions is that on the 3rd and 4th lines???

Old
07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
well my signature is a joke, it was from a post made by someone on the main board that said Petr Prucha is the next Pavel Bure. there was a Devils fan called ADD-devil950003 who saw the post made in a thread in the trade rumours section the thread was caleed Prucha for Semin.

it was actually a Ranger fan that posted it, anyway what has a joke signature got to do with this thread? it nice to see that even though i had been off this forum for a month things haven't changed.

if you think i really believe that Prucha could be the next Pavel Bure then your the stupid one with no sense of humour.

i suggest you lighten up.

dude, cmon. i was bustin your balls. its a rags/devs discussion right here. i didnt think you would take it this seriously. ill put a next time.

so can i suggest you to lighten up now?

Old
07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
The Rangers are like .3yrs (average age) older than the pens. lol...
okay...

Old
07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
and you guys talk about us having money tied up in guys...how many LTC's and how many millions is that on the 3rd and 4th lines???
hey as long as were under the salary cap im fine with it.

Old
07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
White was in his late 20's when he resigned. Malahhov and Molginy were mistakes, which Lou has admitted, everyone makes them. And I'm not saying this because he's a Ranger, but I'm serious when I say I rather have Rolston at his age for 4 years than Redden for 6 at his salary. But what do I know, I'm posting here on HF instead of working for an NHL franchise.
yeah, because we all know that 35 yr old 2nd line 2 way forwards are much harder to come by then 31 yr old 1st pairing, puck moving defenseman are these days in the NHL!

Old
07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

i must admit i never saw the hilarity in it but a wouldn't have went a miss

Old
07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
yeah, because we all know that 35 yr old 2nd line 2 way forwards are much harder to come by then 31 yr old 1st pairing, puck moving defenseman are these days in the NHL!
Have you seen Redden play for the past two seasons? No one wants to see him succeed with the NYR more than I do, as I always thought he was a good player. But I don't see any reason to believe that he will.

Instead, all signs point to him being an overpaid albatross who will earn the fans' ire rather quickly.

Old
07-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
i must admit i never saw the hilarity in it but a wouldn't have went a miss
hahaha ok sounds like were all good then.

Closed Thread