HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Matthew Lombardi

Old
07-08-2008, 10:13 AM
big eyeball

vCash: 500
Matthew Lombardi

Calgary needs to dump some Salary. so what do think we could him for?
see how far over the cap they are here http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CGY

big eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Jon CBJ

I've heard his name linked to us but it's hard to say if we will trade for him... I don't think Howson wants to part with any draft picks or players for the matter. I think he is satisfied with the roster and with Peca under contract as our backup plan if Brassard doesn't work out, I don't see Howson making this trade even though Lombardi would give Nash more ice to work with.

Last edited by Jon CBJ: 07-09-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Jon CBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Kev22

UVR, don't pay attention to Jon. I think that Howson if presented with the opportunity to land Lombardi might jump at the chance. Nash and Lombardi showed some real chemistry at the world's 2 years ago. Plus, he would be familiar with Huselius. It would be a good first line of Nash-Lombardi-Huselius. I would think if the Jackets are providing cap relief, possibly a third round pick for Lombardi might work.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I would love Lombardi, but Howson is content with the roster. I'm under the impression that he won't make a move now unless it blows him away.

But for the sake of discussion, what do you guys need?

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Kev22

How about a cheaper center in Jiri Novotny? His days here seem to be marked.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:06 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I don't see Howson chasing a deal for Lombardi, but if a feasible one were offered, I think it'd be hard to pass up given Lombardi's experience with Nash and his relative affordability ($1.8 million per for the next two).

Said this before, but I can't see the Flames trading Lombardi for precisely that reason - he's not that expensive. He wouldn't provide that much cap relief and he is a useful guy. If they're cutting, the likely return is a pick or cheap prospect, so I think they'd find somewhere else to cut and keep Lombardi.

From the CBJ end, if they'd take a 2nd rounder for Lombardi, then I'd do it. If that makes ownership sweat budget-wise, you send out an e-mail telling other GMs they can have Malhotra or Novotny for airfare - first returned e-mail wins.

edit: did they ever buyout Warrener, Nilsson and Eriksson? I thought they were going to, but this site is usually right on with budgets and rosters, so it seems they didn't.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:16 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I don't see why the Flames trade Lombardi for cap relief. I'm not a scholar when it comes to Calgary's cap situation but why move Lombardi for peanuts? Couldn't the Flames buyout Warrener, Nilsson and Eriksson? Or trade someone else like Aucoin or Conroy?

I'm confused.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
I don't see why the Flames trade Lombardi for cap relief. I'm not a scholar when it comes to Calgary's cap situation but why move Lombardi for peanuts? Couldn't the Flames buyout Warrener, Nilsson and Eriksson? Or trade someone else like Aucoin or Conroy?

I'm confused.
I think the buyout window has passed. Is that right?

They just resigned Conroy, so I can't see them dealing him.

I suppose they could move Aucoin if they wanted to.
Atlanta?

Old
07-08-2008, 01:25 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I suppose they could move Aucoin if they wanted to.
Atlanta?
It seems to me that Aucoin moving makes the most sense. He has one more season before he's an UFA and is on the hook for $4 million this season. I would think a team like Atlanta would listen if the Flames threw in a prospect or pick.

I just don't see why the Flames would want to move Lombardi. If he's a salary dump you would dump him in the Eastern Conf. I think it would piss off a lot of Flames fans tho...

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Stretch Factor

Only way we trade for Lombardi before the season starts is if we trade them Hitch and Howson.

This team is set. Take it to the bank.

H&H are going to give Brassard every opportunity to succeed on the second line at least. If he fails, Peca is likely the backup plan. If Brassard fails to live up to the hype, Howson may make a move, but that will likely be too late to help Calgary.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
DougKnowsBest

if this team could add lombardi id be tickled pink. lombardi for a pick. make it so

wont ever happen. but it would really get us set adding a guy like that.

huselious - lombardi - nash
modin - umberger - who the f ever

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I'm a fan of Lombardi. The guy's fast and a great penalty killer. Worst case scenario, he's another Jason Chimera, and that's fine with me.

If he can be had for something like a third-round pick, that would be stellar.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:11 PM
DougKnowsBest

its that speed and ability to work a play with nash that intrests me

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Kev22

Portzline just made an interesting comment on the Fan, he said that the Jackets were done with Free Agent signings (exclude Leclaire) but left the door open to a possible trade. Really, I think if a player like Lombardi was offered, they would jump at the chance.

Old
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Portzline just made an interesting comment on the Fan, he said that the Jackets were done with Free Agent signings (exclude Leclaire) but left the door open to a possible trade. Really, I think if a player like Lombardi was offered, they would jump at the chance.
I agree with that. If a deal made sense and ownership blessed the extra expenditure, I think they'd be all over Lombardi.

Old
07-08-2008, 04:31 PM
jackets63

I would love it but, like others have said, I dont think they will dump that salary. Im sure they have some kind of plan, but man, that roster looks weird on paper with those salaries. I mean, youre that close to the cap and you give Glencross that kind of money? Dont get me wrong, I really like Glencross, but I dont see them dumping Lombardi at $1.8 mill so they can afford to give him $1.2 mill.

jackets63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Jon CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
UVR, don't pay attention to Jon. I think that Howson if presented with the opportunity to land Lombardi might jump at the chance. Nash and Lombardi showed some real chemistry at the world's 2 years ago. Plus, he would be familiar with Huselius. It would be a good first line of Nash-Lombardi-Huselius. I would think if the Jackets are providing cap relief, possibly a third round pick for Lombardi might work.
He will be playing for the Flames this year, I guarantee it. Don't get your hopes up.

Old
07-09-2008, 08:48 AM
CBJwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon CBJ View Post
He will be playing for the Flames this year, I guarantee it. Don't get your hopes up.
Source?

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post

I'm confused.
Warrener, Eriksson and Nilson will all be in the AHL this season if Sutter can't trade them. I wouldn't be shocked to see Aucoin dumped for a song either.

Lombardi isn't getting traded for cap relief. We have players who aren't as valuable and who are sucking up just as much cash.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Jon CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjwheel View Post
Source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Warrener, Eriksson and Nilson will all be in the AHL this season if Sutter can't trade them. I wouldn't be shocked to see Aucoin dumped for a song either.

Lombardi isn't getting traded for cap relief. We have players who aren't as valuable and who are sucking up just as much cash.
There's my source.