HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Alexander Radulov to Russia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
  #26
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,030
vCash: 500
I would say that if Radulov would rather go for the money than play with and against the best in the world on the biggest stage, perhaps he's not someone you want on your team anyway.

'Course I'm not a Predators fan.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
  #27
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 30,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
I hope he was talking about just being angry. This is nothing to get worked up about though... Radulov was/is one of my favorite players for sure, but he is definitely replacable within the organization. He doesn't really fit in with the grand scheme anyway in that he isn't big and physical and he isn't exactly a good "character" player and a leader in the locker room and all that. There is no reason to believe this until we see it on tsn.ca or nhl.com. Until then it is just a rumor. That's right: false until proven otherwise.
are you crazy? Replaceable within the organization?

Radulov is the only forward we've ever drafted with a legit shot at being a superstar. This better not be true, and if it is, it had better be something that we don't lay down over.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:34 PM
  #28
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I really hope this isn't true. If it is, the Russians are utter liars with their talks of honoring contracts, etc. Furthermore, I would be highly disappointed in Radulov, although I suspect they used some strong emotional and monetary pulls on him.
The KHL is a mafia run league, what do you expect...

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
  #29
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
I find it very hard to believe that he was so crazy about making into the NHL that he would just leave like this, but then again, as much as it has sucked to be a fan in Nashville for the past year, nothing would surprise me.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
  #30
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
I hope he was talking about just being angry. This is nothing to get worked up about though... Radulov was/is one of my favorite players for sure, but he is definitely replacable within the organization. He doesn't really fit in with the grand scheme anyway in that he isn't big and physical and he isn't exactly a good "character" player and a leader in the locker room and all that. There is no reason to believe this until we see it on tsn.ca or nhl.com. Until then it is just a rumor. That's right: false until proven otherwise.
And who is this player that is going to replace Radulov. How do you know he isn't a leader in the locker room? How do you know he isn't a good "character"? From what we've seen, the guy lives and breaths playing hockey. Everything we've heard from our team have been how crazy the guy is about playing hockey and having fun. Most coaches would kill to have players with an attitude like his.

He doesn't need to be big and physical, that isn't what he was brought on to do.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
  #31
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
If he does leave, I'm blaming Trotz

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
  #32
Statesman
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks_fan View Post
it really sucks for you guys if thats true
There is little reason to think now that it is not true.

We used a #1 pick---15th overall to draft him as an 18 year old.The Preds quickly ran him through the minors and gave him every opportunity to excell in the NHL.

IMO---Rads had moments of puckhandling brilliance often followed by being easy to knock off the puck---poor skating at times--little D---and OH by the way knocked Arnott out of the PO's with an concussion.

Despite all of this----Rads was our future perhaps.He went through all of the CL "gutting the Preds" so that he could buy the Wild and the possible sale of the Preds to a Canadian concern.He was there in the PO's when 17K passionate Preds rose to their feet at least a couple of times to cheer for several minutes at a time their team on to victory.

Word is today that Rads blew all of this off---the Preds,their fans,and the people that supported him since the minors for money by going to Russian hockey league that probably wont be around 3 years from now.

Rads---you should be ashamed of yourself............pitiful.

Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
  #33
oreilly22
Registered User
 
oreilly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oahu
Country: United States
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
And who is this player that is going to replace Radulov. How do you know he isn't a leader in the locker room? How do you know he isn't a good "character"? From what we've seen, the guy lives and breaths playing hockey. Everything we've heard from our team have been how crazy the guy is about playing hockey and having fun. Most coaches would kill to have players with an attitude like his.

He doesn't need to be big and physical, that isn't what he was brought on to do.
Hornqvist and Wilson could both eventually and separately replace Radulov's goals and Wilson could probably replace Radulov's playmaking. If the guy leaves for the money instead of honoring his existing contract that definitely makes him a bad character guy and a locker room cancer. The first English word that Radulov learned was "money", not exactly the first thing that I would want the future of the team thinking about above all else.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
  #34
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
It's a shame too, I remember hearing on the radio about how stoked David Freeman was about Radulov and how he thought that he was going to be one of the faces of the franchise.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:03 PM
  #35
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Hornqvist and Wilson could both eventually and separately replace Radulov's goals and Wilson could probably replace Radulov's playmaking.
While both look promising, they aren't going to replace him right away, with Hornqvist being the closest. Both of those players look to be different types of players. It will important to have players with different skill sets. Radulov is in a different mold compared to those players. Plus Hornqvist was supposed to be playing with the club this year on the top 6, now we'll have to replace Radulov too.

Quote:
If the guy leaves for the money instead of honoring his existing contract that definitely makes him a bad character guy and a locker room cancer.
While I agree that it makes him crappy for what he has done, I don't think that it directly reflects on how he was in the locker room. Everything I've heard from our players is how much fun Radulov has and how he wants to keep learning and making himself a better player.

Quote:
The first English word that Radulov learned was "money", not exactly the first thing that I would want the future of the team thinking about above all else.
Excuse me? That is pretty wrong for you to say something like that.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:05 PM
  #36
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I'm kind of thinking that there would be a denial by now if it wasn't true. I would think that Preds management could get a hold of him or his agent pretty quick if need be. And if they have already the only reason for the silence is that it's true.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:07 PM
  #37
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I'm kind of thinking that there would be a denial by now if it wasn't true. I would think that Preds management could get a hold of him or his agent pretty quick if need be. And if they have already the only reason for the silence is that it's true.
Agreed.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:14 PM
  #38
Johnny8242
Registered User
 
Johnny8242's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I hate the news but I guess I need to simmer down it's not the end of the world. I really don't think Radulov was a leader in any sense in my opinion.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:25 PM
  #39
oreilly22
Registered User
 
oreilly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oahu
Country: United States
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
While both look promising, they aren't going to replace him right away, with Hornqvist being the closest. Both of those players look to be different types of players. It will important to have players with different skill sets. Radulov is in a different mold compared to those players. Plus Hornqvist was supposed to be playing with the club this year on the top 6, now we'll have to replace Radulov too.
Radulov had to prove himself to be a star forward for the Preds, Hornqvist and Wilson will have to as well, but I'm confident they will.

Quote:
While I agree that it makes him crappy for what he has done, I don't think that it directly reflects on how he was in the locker room. Everything I've heard from our players is how much fun Radulov has and how he wants to keep learning and making himself a better player.
Steve Sullivan was never a fan of Radulov. Remember he said that he should not be so flashy and crazy acting after he scored a goal. Also while I'm sure that he wouldn't throw Rads under the bus, I couldn't imagine Arnott is too pleased with Radulov's congratulation after Arnott scored that goal in game 3.

Quote:
Excuse me? That is pretty wrong for you to say something like that.
What you think everyone in the league cares about money before winning? I'm sure Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Sakic, Brind'Amour, Crosby, and Malkin would all disagree with you on that one.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
  #40
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
What you think everyone in the league cares about money before winning? I'm sure Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Sakic, Brind'Amour, Crosby, and Malkin would all disagree with you on that one.
I'm not sure that I'm following you on this one.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:38 PM
  #41
oreilly22
Registered User
 
oreilly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oahu
Country: United States
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I'm not sure that I'm following you on this one.
All those players I mentioned could be paid millions more if they were to go to another team (maybe not Brind'Amour anymore, but he used to be worth a lot of money), but they chose to stick with their current teams for loyalty and for a chance to win above making more money.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:41 PM
  #42
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
All those players I mentioned could be paid millions more if they were to go to another team (maybe not Brind'Amour anymore, but he used to be worth a lot of money), but they chose to stick with their current teams for loyalty and for a chance to win above making more money.
And what does that have to do with anything that I've said, since you were quoting me?

I stated that it was wrong for you to say that Radulov's first english word was money (as that is a reference to the greedy Russian stereotype), not that there are not any players who sign lesser contracts to stay on winning teams.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
  #43
oreilly22
Registered User
 
oreilly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oahu
Country: United States
Posts: 325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
And what does that have to do with anything that I've said, since you were quoting me?

I stated that it was wrong for you to say that Radulov's first english word was money (as that is a reference to the greedy Russian stereotype), not that there are not any players who sign lesser contracts to stay on winning teams.
How could I have been referring to a "greedy Russian stereotype" if I mentioned two Russians who I feel are taking less money than they would make elsewhere for a chance to play for a good team in the NHL? Why did Radulov not learn "team" or "goal" or heck "hockey" before he learned the word "money"? You would think he would care about something else enough to learn it before money. Not saying I don't like what he contributes, it's just that he is what he is: a good offensive talent who would rather get more money than play for a chance to win. Jmo.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
  #44
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,338
vCash: 500
For those saying that losing Radulov isn't a big deal, your wrong and kidding yourself. Radulov is already a top 6 forward at what, 22? He has the most offensive potential of anyone we have drafted, and he has been through 2 playoff runs as one of our best forwards. He doesn't just have 25 goal-scoring potential, he has 40 goal-scoring potential. He hasn't come close to peaking, and all signs point to him to continue emerging as a premier, or at the least, a dangerous top 6 winger.

With that said, this isn't over. The agreement the NHL/KHL signed today prohibits poaching, which is exactly what just happened. Also, this isn't the end for our team. We have 13 draft picks in the 2009 entry draft. We have massive assets in the prospect department. Our defensive and goalie prospects contain 2-3 top notch prospects. We also can still go out and grab a guy like Nagy and hope he bounces back.

This is the time for Poile to prove his worth. If Radulov stays, we have to do everything in our power to keep him OR to trade him at the end of his contract (next season). We can't afford to lose one of our young stars for free, especially with our inability to spend to the cap. If Radulov leaves, it is time to see what Poile can do to improve this team. We have the assets to acquire almost anyone in this league. We also still have the opportunity to pick up one of the few remaining top 6 wingers that are on the unrestricted market.

Lets see how this plays out.

One final thought: Don't be too quick to criticize Radulov. What he has done is low and thoughtless. By essentially hiding his intentions over the past two years, he may have set our franchise back a year(s) in terms of competition. However, this guy wears his heart on his sleeve. It isn't just money that is thrown at these guys, it is the guilt trip and pressure of an entire government.....not to mention the chance to go back home to family and friends. Lets hope for the best...honestly, something good has to happen around here, right? Two off-seasons of getting kicked in the nuts is almost too much to bear....And the money comments are silly. This is a kid who came to the QJMHL over playing in Russia so that he could get a chance to play in the NHL. There is more than just money that is swaying Radulov.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
  #45
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 500
Losing Rads would be a short term and long term disaster and you're kidding yourself to think otherwise. Our top 6 are already a top 5 without sully. Losing any of those guys, particularly the youngest, cheapest with the most upside is a disaster. Losing him for nothing is a gigantic disaster. There is no replacement in site. At best, we were hoping Hornqvist might be a replacement for Sully.

I can only hope it isn't true or that the transfer agreement being put in place will (temporarily) help.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
  #46
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
How could I have been referring to a "greedy Russian stereotype" if I mentioned two Russians who I feel are taking less money than they would make elsewhere for a chance to play for a good team in the NHL? Why did Radulov not learn "team" or "goal" or heck "hockey" before he learned the word "money"? You would think he would care about something else enough to learn it before money. Not saying I don't like what he contributes, it's just that he is what he is: a good offensive talent who would rather get more money than play for a chance to win. Jmo.
Ok, let me break it down for you. You first stated that Radulov's first english word was "money". Other then the fact that I have no idea where you heard this (a source would be great), it does play into the greedy Russian stereotype. At that point, in which I responded to your comment, you HAD NOT talked about other Russian players. You stated that AFTER I responded.

Unless you completely meant something else by Radulov's first english word is money, but usually that plays to the part of the Russian (or European on these boards) stereotype. If meant something else, then I'm sorry, but perhaps you should word it better.

And in essence, I agree. It is disappointing to see Radulov bolt for more money, leaving behind his team while under contract. But I never stated that there is no other player who takes a pay cut to stay on a winning team, so I'm not sure why you are bringing that up.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:18 PM
  #47
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
For those saying that losing Radulov isn't a big deal, your wrong and kidding yourself. Radulov is already a top 6 forward at what, 22? He has the most offensive potential of anyone we have drafted, and he has been through 2 playoff runs as one of our best forwards. He doesn't just have 25 goal-scoring potential, he has 40 goal-scoring potential. He hasn't come close to peaking, and all signs point to him to continue emerging as a premier, or at the least, a dangerous top 6 winger.

With that said, this isn't over. The agreement the NHL/KHL signed today prohibits poaching, which is exactly what just happened. Also, this isn't the end for our team. We have 13 draft picks in the 2009 entry draft. We have massive assets in the prospect department. Our defensive and goalie prospects contain 2-3 top notch prospects. We also can still go out and grab a guy like Nagy and hope he bounces back.

This is the time for Poile to prove his worth. If Radulov stays, we have to do everything in our power to keep him OR to trade him at the end of his contract (next season). We can't afford to lose one of our young stars for free, especially with our inability to spend to the cap. If Radulov leaves, it is time to see what Poile can do to improve this team. We have the assets to acquire almost anyone in this league. We also still have the opportunity to pick up one of the few remaining top 6 wingers that are on the unrestricted market.

Lets see how this plays out.

One final thought: Don't be too quick to criticize Radulov. What he has done is low and thoughtless. By essentially hiding his intentions over the past two years, he may have set our franchise back a year(s) in terms of competition. However, this guy wears his heart on his sleeve. It isn't just money that is thrown at these guys, it is the guilt trip and pressure of an entire government.....not to mention the chance to go back home to family and friends. Lets hope for the best...honestly, something good has to happen around here, right? Two off-seasons of getting kicked in the nuts is almost too much to bear....And the money comments are silly. This is a kid who came to the QJMHL over playing in Russia so that he could get a chance to play in the NHL. There is more than just money that is swaying Radulov.
Agreed 100%

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:30 PM
  #48
fogducker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,399
vCash: 500
will he be traded?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
  #49
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
will he be traded?
Can't speak for Poile but I wouldn't. Can't imagine his trade value is that high right now, and you run the risk of trading him for scraps only to have him potentially stay in the U.S.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
  #50
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
will he be traded?
I honestly don't know. Who would trade for a guy that signed a 3 year deal in Russia after a no-poaching clause was signed. Why would the Predators give him away at this juncture. If he remains a Predator, than he could be on the block, but keep in mind that the Predators would have no qualms offering him a massive extension if justified......

I can tell you one thing. Trotz, his teammates, and Poile are definitely very very pissed off right now.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.