HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Radulov to Russia

Old
07-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Muscle Bob

vCash: 500
Here is my quick translation of his interview.

Radulov interview to Sport-Express

- When did you receive an offer from Salavat Ulaev?
- They has been trying to get me for the second year already. Their GM was constantly in contact with my agent and I perfectly knew that they were interested in me. Here in Ufa they offered me great conditions and I agreed to sign a contract.

- Do you feel sorry that you didn't do it last summer because you would have been the champion of Russia? Did the champion rank of Salavat influenced on your choice?
- I see no sense in regretting about going to Ufa this summer. I spent a perfect season in Nashville. What about my present choice... I badly wanted to play in a strong team which fights for the highest places in the championship. Also the fact that Salavat will play in the Champions League also mattered. Besides I perfectly know what conditions there are in Ufa, I've heard much about the strong structure of the club. That's why it was silly to refuse.

- The 3-year contract with Salavat implies your possible return to Nashville?
- I've signed a full 3-year old contract and I'm not thinking about any departure. All my thoughts are only with Salvat!

- Your departure from Nashville means there was something that you didn't like?
- First of all, I wanted to play at home long time ago, secondly, the conditions offered in Salavat are much more better than in Nashville.

- Does the Nashville team know about your departure?
- I told them not once that I had an offer from Ufa and great wish to play in Russia. I noticed them that I had been offered the better condtions than I had in Nashville. They listened to me and said that they will recall me. There was no call from them since. Seems like they didn't want me to stay, or probably - didn't think that I would make such a decision.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:44 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
He's not suited for the KHL game. He's going to wreck his carear and come crying back like Artyukhin. Makes no sense, next year he needs to be resigned, he would land a big contract anyway, and he would problably earn more than Salvat would even give him.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The Predators are prohibited by the CBA in regards to offering him a contract extension at this point correct? I thought extensions were only allowed until after Christmas? Can the Predators even begin contract negotiations at this point?

He was in line for a substantial raise, but I'm not sure there is anything Poile could do about this.

---

One thought - if the Predators are able to sign extensions at this point, it would be very interesting to see what happened if they DID sign him to an extension after this move by Radulov (essentially like what Datsyuk and others had occur a few years ago). Granted, it does seem like he has pretty much cut-bait with Nashville (if the interview is correct and this came in before the NHL/KHL agreement).

Last edited by Enoch: 07-10-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Not cool....man.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Stranger;14831253]Ok, let me break it down for you. You first stated that Radulov's first english word was "money". Other then the fact that I have no idea where you heard this (a source would be great), it does play into the greedy Russian stereotype. At that point, in which I responded to your comment, you HAD NOT talked about other Russian players. You stated that AFTER I responded.
He said it in a radio interview with the Zone a couple years ago.

Quote:
Unless you completely meant something else by Radulov's first english word is money, but usually that plays to the part of the Russian (or European on these boards) stereotype. If meant something else, then I'm sorry, but perhaps you should word it better.
I was saying it as an individual player's position, not a broad opinion of all Russian or European players. I really don't know how you could have gotten that I was talking about all Europeans, but oh well.

Quote:
And in essence, I agree. It is disappointing to see Radulov bolt for more money, leaving behind his team while under contract. But I never stated that there is no other player who takes a pay cut to stay on a winning team, so I'm not sure why you are bringing that up.
Well you misinterpreted me on the strange assumption that I thought all European's were greedy money grubbers, I can't misinterpret you for your own misinterpretation?

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Feels like I just got kicked in the nuts, what the hell?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Radulov = Seidenberg ?

... I expect to see this happen in the '10 Olympics

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:28 AM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
For those saying that losing Radulov isn't a big deal, your wrong and kidding yourself. Radulov is already a top 6 forward at what, 22? He has the most offensive potential of anyone we have drafted, and he has been through 2 playoff runs as one of our best forwards. He doesn't just have 25 goal-scoring potential, he has 40 goal-scoring potential. He hasn't come close to peaking, and all signs point to him to continue emerging as a premier, or at the least, a dangerous top 6 winger.

With that said, this isn't over. The agreement the NHL/KHL signed today prohibits poaching, which is exactly what just happened. Also, this isn't the end for our team. We have 13 draft picks in the 2009 entry draft. We have massive assets in the prospect department. Our defensive and goalie prospects contain 2-3 top notch prospects. We also can still go out and grab a guy like Nagy and hope he bounces back.

This is the time for Poile to prove his worth. If Radulov stays, we have to do everything in our power to keep him OR to trade him at the end of his contract (next season). We can't afford to lose one of our young stars for free, especially with our inability to spend to the cap. If Radulov leaves, it is time to see what Poile can do to improve this team. We have the assets to acquire almost anyone in this league. We also still have the opportunity to pick up one of the few remaining top 6 wingers that are on the unrestricted market.

Lets see how this plays out.

One final thought: Don't be too quick to criticize Radulov. What he has done is low and thoughtless. By essentially hiding his intentions over the past two years, he may have set our franchise back a year(s) in terms of competition. However, this guy wears his heart on his sleeve. It isn't just money that is thrown at these guys, it is the guilt trip and pressure of an entire government.....not to mention the chance to go back home to family and friends. Lets hope for the best...honestly, something good has to happen around here, right? Two off-seasons of getting kicked in the nuts is almost too much to bear....And the money comments are silly. This is a kid who came to the QJMHL over playing in Russia so that he could get a chance to play in the NHL. There is more than just money that is swaying Radulov.
Are we better off with Radulov: OH YES.

Can Hornqvist and Wilson replace everything that Radulov could do: That and then some.

Maybe neither one could get quite as many points as Radulov eventually could, but Wilson is a lot stronger and a much better skater than Radulov. Wilson, and especially Hornqvist, is a much better all around type player than Radulov too.

In the IIHF World Championships Radulov was frequently scratched and when he did play there were Russian league players that got more minutes than him. Hornqvist in the IIHF World Championships for Sweden? First line minutes, Powerplay, and Penalty Kill. Just sayin'.

Old
07-11-2008, 12:39 AM
PeterAngelo
Man's best friend

I am absolutely shattered, no idea how this even works, don't care, just feels crap.

Last edited by PeterAngelo: 07-11-2008 at 12:44 AM.
PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:51 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Feels like I just got kicked in the nuts, what the hell?
Why does this **** happen to us? Last summer it was the sale/moving/dumping salary. We had to worry all year about attendance crap. Then we had to lose one of our best ever players in Sullivan for at least a year, possibly his career. Now this?!

Please Rads, don't let it be true. I just don't understand. He worked so hard and so long to make it to the NHL why would he give that away. Yeah I understand about going home and to family, but you know what, he has a contract so he needs to honor it for the last year. Plus, he was going to be on the top line, with top players (at least one of whom just signed a 4 year extension along with 2 other top 6 forwards and 2 dmen to big money). He would be in line for a huge extension $-wise if he stays here. The only thing he gains by going home is, Russia. Malkin is staying here and he barely even speaks english, Rads is one of the most popular players that everyone loves. He knows that he would be counted on to score and be one of the top guys here.

I don't understand how he could just abandon his team without telling them. I really hope this isn't true.

It has nothing to do with Arnott in the playoffs. Arnott said he was over it and joked that he would just make Rads carry his bags this year to make up for it. Besides, losing Arnott was not the reason we lost the playoffs to the eventual Cup champions.

This is ********!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post

- Your departure from Nashville means there was something that you didn't like?
- First of all, I wanted to play at home long time ago, secondly, the conditions offered in Salavat are much more better than in Nashville.

If he wanted to play home for years, then WHY THE HELL did he play for Quebec in the QMJHL?

Betcha he would have got ALOT more money in Russia.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
oreilly22

I say if it's not on tsn.ca or nhl.com by this time tomorrow, then this was all just some Russian hockey blogger trying to start something while the NHL boys were meeting with the KHL over the issue to get a little publicity. In other words it was all made up if it's not on a legit North American source tomorrow, or uh today.

Last edited by oreilly22: 07-11-2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Look at the time
Old
07-11-2008, 01:22 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
If he wanted to play home for years, then WHY THE HELL did he play for Quebec in the QMJHL?

Betcha he would have got ALOT more money in Russia.
That's what a lot of us can't understand. If he wanted to go home so bad then why come over in the first place?

If he's so concerned about money, look at the Russians in the NHL making big money. And Radulov would be due a big contract after this season (not Ovechkin/Malkin $$ obviously, but at least on par with our own Legwand/Erat/Dumont/Arnott).

Old
07-11-2008, 01:38 AM
hockey_nut

looks like TFP picked up on the story: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nas080711.html

Quote:
Radulov told Sports Express that his mind is set on Salavat for "the next three years" and indicated that his contract is more valuable than the one he signed with the Predators. He claims he notified the Predators of the possibility that he will sign with a Russian squad.

"I repeatedly told in them that I had an offer from Ufa and had the enormous desire to play in Russia," Radulov said. "I warned them that I had been offered better conditions than I had in Nashville. They listened and said that they will get back to me. As of now, there was no call. It seems like they didn't really want me to stay, or probably - they did not think that take this step."
Quote:
Given the differences in time zones, it's not yet known if the Predators are even aware of Radulov decision.

"So far, no one [in Nashville] knows, as this just occurred several hours ago," Radulov said.

Radulov added that his father was originally against him leaving the Predators, but has since warmed up to the idea.

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:53 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

that's pretty much the same story on all the sites.

By now, everyone is aware of the story.

Old
07-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Dima_BLR

well, i think jagr and radulov are the first swallows. imo, u'd better start realizing now that the khl is a decent competitor to the nhl and its attractiveness to stellar players from all over the world will be growing over time. face the fact guys, it's just the beginning.

Dima_BLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:42 AM
JussiM

What the hell...

JussiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:47 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
He's not suited for the KHL game. He's going to wreck his carear and come crying back like Artyukhin. Makes no sense, next year he needs to be resigned, he would land a big contract anyway, and he would problably earn more than Salvat would even give him.
i heard he gets 3,5 millions taxfree money in Russia per year!. that equal to 7 million in north america! no way he would get that money in Nashville

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima_BLR View Post
well, i think jagr and radulov are the first swallows. imo, u'd better start realizing now that the khl is a decent competitor to the nhl and its attractiveness to stellar players from all over the world will be growing over time. face the fact guys, it's just the beginning.
So, now when you have a KHL team you're on "their side" LOL.
Face the fact, right now they got nothing. Sure they can attract some good players with wild contracts, but how many? 1-2, even 10 players are not so important for NHL. KHL on the other hand must not spend too much money if they want to be if not profitable then at least not such big money black hole.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:06 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I thought the NHL and the KHL just made a deal to honour each others contracts?!

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:24 AM
NYR1724

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...cBBtj1fckF9hNA

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Mustafa*

René Fassel the president of the International ice hockey Federation is on French radio in Montreal and he's saying that received an e-mail saying that Radulov was leaving for Russia, he said that if the NHL contract isn't respected the Federation won't let Radulov compete in international Hockey, but he says that the news is not confirmed yet.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
René Fassel the president of the International ice hockey Federation is on French radio in Montreal and he's saying that received an e-mail saying that Radulov was leaving for Russia, he said that if the NHL contract isn't respected the Federation won't let Radulov compete in international Hockey, but he says that the news is not confirmed yet.
That's good to hear. I hope the International Federation won't wuss up on this.

The whole thing is insane.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:46 AM
veronesepk

I still feel sucker punched and don't want to believe this is real.

veronesepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:52 AM
PeterAngelo
Man's best friend

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080711...v_080711092040

don't know if this confirms it, but either way seeing his comments on an English news release about Nashville not being able to force him back to North America just makes me sick to the stomach, I am so peeved right now.

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote