HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Montador

Old
07-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I can't believe Florida didn't resign him when all it took was $800k - California's got hideous taxes and a higher cost of living - the same $800k should have gotten him to stay in Florida. Means either Martin didn't try, or Monty didn't want to stay in Pantherland.
Or Martin is on a really tight budget and he must deal some deadwood, Van Ryn, to add to the roster and no one wants his garbage. Personally, I would rather have kept Monty and not acquired Boynton simply because he is more versatile, a lot cheaper and a good alternative for the second unit power-play. I think with the departure of Jokinen, the Panther main powerplay scorer who also played the point, and Charron, who coached the power-play last season, the productivity of the Cat's PP Unit is a big worry.

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 07-11-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:28 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I can't believe Florida didn't resign him when all it took was $800k - California's got hideous taxes and a higher cost of living - the same $800k should have gotten him to stay in Florida. Means either Martin didn't try, or Monty didn't want to stay in Pantherland.
i think monty liked playing in FL. he said he'd like to come back when the season ended, didn't he? seems like JM just wanted to go in another direction.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Or Martin is on a really tight budget and he must deal some deadwood, Van Ryn, to add to the roster and no one wants his garbage. Personally, I would rather have kept Monty and not acquired Boynton simply because he is more versatile, a lot cheaper and a good alternative for the second unit power-play. I think with the departure of Jokinen, the Panther main powerplay scorer who also played the point, and Charron, who coached the power-play last season, the productivity of the Cat's PP Unit is a big worry.
Without any known top quality offensive talent, the PP is in trouble from the start.

But for Montador...the team's currently well under $50M, let alone the cap level. If they resign JBo at $6M, they still have $4M left. That would have been enough to get Monty wrapped up, and Martin said he was talking to his agent I believe a couple weeks ago.

So unless Cohen's tightening the purse again...

07-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Heimy

I don't think this was about money so much as a body count. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but don't we currently have 24 guys signed to one-way contracts?

Monty was a solid 3rd pairing/4th liner/team player but it looks to me that he was the odd man out in the numbers game.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther
Or, it could be that Monty just felt he was better off elsewhere. Accoring to GR, it was nothing personal at all, he just didn't see himself fitting in here. Anyway, it's just one year in Anaheim, perhaps he can be back the following year.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...nty-mouse.html

Quote:
I've been told he was offered more by Florida, although this wasn't about the money or, from what I've been told, the Panthers. Monty simply looked at the roster and didn't see himself really fitting in. Monty was shuffled around last year, from the checking/energy forward lines to being on the third defensive pairing.

07-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
I'd Peltonen plays a minute in a Panthers sweater, there was room for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Or, it could be that Monty just felt he was better off elsewhere. Accoring to GR, it was nothing personal at all, he just didn't see himself fitting in here. Anyway, it's just one year in Anaheim, perhaps he can be back the following year.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...nty-mouse.html
Yeah, it seems as though Monty just saw how the roster was shaping up, and it looked like he would be the 12th or 13th forward, or the 7th or 8th d-man, and I think he just wanted a regular role on a team. He said months ago that he would wait to see what his role on the team would be before making his decision to resign or not, I believe. On Anaheim, he knows he'll definitely be on the third pairing, and play a lot more than he would here. It's just a better fit for him. I wish him well, he's worked hard to get to where he's at.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Really really sad to see him go. IMO would been perfect 4th line rw/6th dman and the character he gave us was priceless. I read Panthers were offering more money but he didnt see a spot for him on the roster. I dont see how he sees one in Anaheim? He would been on our team all season long once the injury bug hits

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Really really sad to see him go. IMO would been perfect 4th line rw/6th dman and the character he gave us was priceless. I read Panthers were offering more money but he didnt see a spot for him on the roster. I dont see how he sees one in Anaheim? He would been on our team all season long once the injury bug hits
Anaheim only has 6 d-men signed right now, including Monty. And they will probably have to trade Schneider. Monty will get a regular spot for sure there.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Anaheim only has 6 d-men signed right now, including Monty. And they will probably have to trade Schneider. Monty will get a regular spot for sure there.
yep. once Schneider moves (which is 99% certain), he will be the primary #6 dman to start the season. and with only 1 (Pronger) dman under contract for 09-10 season in Anaheim, theres a very good chance he could sign in Anaheim for future seasons after next if it goes well.

plus it never hurts to be able to tell a dman he'll be playing with 2 norris winners and for a coach who won the norris.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Krog View Post
yep. once Schneider moves (which is 99% certain), he will be the primary #6 dman to start the season. and with only 1 (Pronger) dman under contract for 09-10 season in Anaheim, theres a very good chance he could sign in Anaheim for future seasons after next if it goes well.

plus it never hurts to be able to tell a dman he'll be playing with 2 norris winners and for a coach who won the norris.
I wouldn't be so certain he gets #6 this year, Salcido is knocking on the door, and could easily play on the 2nd PP unit. Depends on if Salsa blows people away in camp, if so, Monty might be the odd man out once again. Unless Burke plans on packaging another dman with Schneider to get better value back.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote