HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How does Radulov's return to Russia impact Zherdev?

Old
07-11-2008, 08:06 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

vCash: 500
I've lived in downtown Columbus 2 years now (2 blocks from Zherdev), and it's a VERY welcoming city. Was in St Louis for 3 years before that....not so much there.

07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albynomonk View Post
Who? A flash in the pan goalie, a geriatric primadonna, and RADULOV? They can take them, in fact we'll even throw in Malik, Poti, Bertuzzi, Berard, and Chelios.
It's a big step up from Yashin and Kasparitis. Neither was able to get a job in the NHL when they left. Radulov and Jagr have turned their backs on jobs here.

I wouldn't expect Zherdev to walk out on a contract. What happens when that contract is up probably depends a lot on what happens before it is, both for the Rangers and the KHL.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:15 AM
CBJSlash

If you thought you owned us in the trade.... this is why.

I believed he will sign in Russia next year regardless, for money (most of his family and friends still live in Russia). Now this makes it even more likely.

You won't be able to fit him under your cap if you even try to match what the Russia league will offer him with dollars. He'll easily get what Jagr signed for the equivalent of 11 million dollars.

If I were you I'd count on Zherdev for one good year and who knows where his head will be.

Howson is not an idiot he would trade him for Tyutin AND take Backman's contract, just to get owned.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hopefully after Zherdevs first hattrick in the Garden, he'll FEEL that theres no where else to play.

But to be honest, ANY player now, not just Russian, who feels like they are not getting a fair shake in the NHL can leave if they'd like. And if Zherdev finds out that he doesnt want to play in the greatest city in the world for an original six NHL team with a chance to win the Stanley Cup - then as disappointing as it is, i dont want him here.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Hopefully after Zherdevs first hattrick in the Garden, he'll FEEL that theres no where else to play.

But to be honest, ANY player now, not just Russian, who feels like they are not getting a fair shake in the NHL can leave if they'd like. And if Zherdev finds out that he doesnt want to play in the greatest city in the world for an original six NHL team with a chance to win the Stanley Cup - then as disappointing as it is, i dont want him here.
Agreed. If you aren't happy to be playing in The Garden, then to hell with ya.

I'm hoping the influx of Russian players into the Rangers organization will help keep guys like Zherdev around. But who knows, he could be a total flop in NY next season and people will be glad to be rid of him. I'm pretty sure he won't be a flop, but having a guy we dislike flee back to Russia is easier to take than a guy we do like.

Has this Radulov thing been confirmed by any other sources yet?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

The first time he gets stuck in traffic...

There are two different Zherdev's one who will play well and is a team player and another that is moody, selfish, and keeps to himself. Overall he is driven to succeed though IMO.

You will not just get one. The magnifying glass in NYC can really hurt him. I hope he plays well for you, I think he has a better chance to do that in NY, but his heart is still in Russia. NYC is another culture shock for his system, I'm not sure how he'll handle it.

Before any of this I would have said that Zherdev was 2-3 times more likely to go to Russia than Radulov.

Old
07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post

You will not just get one. The magnifying glass in NYC can really hurt him. I hope he plays well for you, I think he has a better chance to do that in NY, but his heart is still in Russia. NYC is another culture shock for his system, I'm not sure how he'll handle it.
no one drives in ny except for cabbies and people from jersey....

and you'd be surprised...my guess is he is already in brooklyn down by brighton beach.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:35 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
no one drives in ny except for cabbies and people from jersey....

and you'd be surprised...my guess is he is already in brooklyn down by brighton beach.....
I wish you nothing, but the best. I would be prepared for the worst.

Old
07-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

There are two different Zherdev's one who well play well and is a team player and another that is moody, selfish, and keeps to himself.

There is this common misconception about the NY media and the Rangers and that writers and reporters are overly critical of players. That's really not the case. There are only a handful of writers (Sam, Dellapina, Zip) who are really credible and the rest of the media more or less ignores the Rangers until they make it by the first round of the playoffs. If there is any criticism, it always falls amongst the guys earning the big contracts.

Personally, I think Zherdev will fly under the radar for most of the season while he's steadily racking up goals. But until next May rolls around, I don't think we'll see Zherdev's name on the back cover of the Post.

Quote:
I wish you nothing, but the best. I would be prepared for the worst.
This is NY, we're always prepared for players to flop.

Old
07-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
There is this common misconception about the NY media and the Rangers and that writers and reporters are overly critical of players. That's really not the case. There are only a handful of writers (Sam, Dellapina, Zip) who are really credible and the rest of the media more or less ignores the Rangers until they make it by the first round of the playoffs. If there is any criticism, it always falls amongst the guys earning the big contracts.
Yeah, if "magnifying glass" means "crappy article written in a crappy paper by crappy Larry Brooks", then sure, NY is tough on its hockey players.

In reality, the media is pretty ambivalent towards hockey. It's the fans in MSG that he ultimately needs to win over. Guys like Malik were under the microscope because of how fans treated them at the Garden, not because they were castigated in the papers. If we were talking about the Yankees, then yeah there might be a point. But...not so much

Also, isn't he actually Ukrainian?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Radulov is a ******* ****ing piece of ****. **** that **********, I hope he tears both his ACLs and can never walk again without a limp.

If Zherdev wants to go back to Russia when he's no longer under contract, fine. But **** him if he skips out on a contract

While I"m at it, **** Filatov for getting this **** started. Stupid mother****er should have gotten his **** straight before now instead of causing all this drama. Thanks a lot, ********.
Bring me up to speed here......what the hell did Filatov do to cause the Radulov issue?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:47 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Yeah, if "magnifying glass" means "crappy article written in a crappy paper by crappy Larry Brooks", then sure, NY is tough on its hockey players.

In reality, the media is pretty ambivalent towards hockey. It's the fans in MSG that he ultimately needs to win over. Guys like Malik were under the microscope because of how fans treated them at the Garden, not because they were castigated in the papers. If we were talking about the Yankees, then yeah there might be a point. But...not so much

Yes he is Ukrainian, he left his parents at about 12-13 to pursue hockey in Russia. His girlfriend is Russian and still lives in Russia IIRC. If he can go home (for more money even), I think it will be a no brainer for him.

Below is my all-time favorite Z picture. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nikolai_zherdev1.jpg‎ (77.1 KB, 69 views)

Old
07-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Bring me up to speed here......what the hell did Filatov do to cause the Radulov issue?
I don't think he actually caused the Radulov issue, I think he just made this whole transfer thing even more sticky by basically giving the finger to the RSL/KHL and not making sure his contract situation was really cleared up.

I was also tired and had been drinking last night

Old
07-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Yeah thats why I left Brooks out of the list, haha.

And yes, he is Ukrainian. I just can't get that into my head for some reason.

Old
07-11-2008, 09:01 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Has this Radulov thing been confirmed by any other sources yet?

Quote:
Nashville striker Radulov signs for Russian champions

MOSCOW (AFP) - Russian international ice hockey forward Alexander Radulov on Thursday signed for reigning national champions Ufa.

The financial details of Radulov's contract were not disclosed.

The 22-year-old, who is still under contract with NHL side Nashville Predators where he collected 62 points in 87 matches last season, said he had warned his club management that he wanted to play in Russia.

"I told my bosses in Nashville that I wanted to play at home and some Russian clubs were offering me much better conditions than I had in Nashville," Radulov told the Russian press.

"They said they would call me back but never phoned. It seems that they were either not really interested in me or just did not believe I could return home. One way or another, I'm happy to come home."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...=afp&type=lgns

Those quotes are pulled from the same article that I translated pieces of last night.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Renion

This is being talked about a bit on our boards, as well.

Zherdev did like Columbus, by the way. I was just posting some of his old (and new) comments. He liked it for being "quiet, calm," and he didn't feel like he needed a change in scenery.

That doesn't mean I think he won't like it in New York, mind you. He seems pretty adaptable, is all.

Also, even in the worst of the negotiations, he never was much interested in the idea of playing in Russia over the NHL: "'We asked Columbus to trade him months ago if they couldn't sign him,' Hedges said. 'As I've told everyone, Nikolai wants to play in the NHL'" (Hedges 2006). He approached it as a pure business aspect, and let his agent do what he wanted. Here are some snippets from an interview with him:

Quote:
Nikolai, it is generally thought that a hockey player returning from the NHL during his peak did not achieve something in life. That is, his career is turning out to be unsuccessful. Do you agree?
N. Zherdev: No, I don't think so. Furthermore, I am certain that I will return to America. I simply have some differences of opinion with my team regarding my new contract. But they are being resolved.

Does the question lie in money?
N. Zherdev: I'll say this: I am currently being offered a sum, that doesn't correlate to my level. I know my price. That is the entire problem.

Is this a holdout?
N. Zherdev: No. I am simply preparing for the season in Russia. I do not yet have a contract with Columbus, but I may yet be offered one. So far, that has not happened, and I am practising in my homeland. But really negotiations with Columbus - those are my agent's problems, and not mine. Why should I fill my head with unnecessary questions?
A lot of fans at the time thought he was asking for too much money. Some of us were more cautious. He was being offered over 3 million less than Nash (5.4 cap hit). No one was arguing that Zherdev deserved Nash money (5 years, $27 million, after his Rocket Richard season--which was his second season), but when you look at their numbers before they were signed to contracts, $3.4 million is a huge difference, and Zherdev was already oozing talent:

Zherdev over his first two seasons: 130 games (he arrived in December of his first season), 40 goals, 48 assists, 88 points.

Nash over his first two seasons: 154 games, 58 goals, 38 assists, 96 points.

A Dispatch columnist, Bob Hunter, had this to say:

"It's hard to fathom why MacLean became so budget-conscious just when he got to Zherdev, unless he maxed out his credit card by giving money to everybody else. There was money for Rick Nash, David Vyborny, Manny Malhotra, Ron Hainsey, Jody Shelley and Rostislav Klesla, money for just about everybody but Zherdev and Dan Fritsche, who must have eaten a deep-fried mushroom with his fingers at one of the team?s cocktail parties."

There were several offers made from MacLean. One was $3.75 million over two years. One was $1.25 million for one year. Another was $6 million over three years. Some counter-offers were $2.75 million for one year and $5.75 million over two years and $9 million over three years. Even looking back on it now, it still sounds like a lowball offer from MacLean. To be fair, off-ice considerations were a factor in MacLean's offer, and I can respect that. But was an average of $3.4 million a season an accurate divide between Zherdev and Nash, at those points in their careers? Certainly not in my opinion, and right now Zherdev is still only a 2.5 cap hit.

Anyway, I honestly couldn't tell you how Radulov affects Zherdev. Zherdev's had his buddies traded away--or lost--before (Fedorov and Svitov), and even after all of that he still managed to say that he was happy in Columbus and had no desire for a scenery change. I can't imagine Radulov and Zherdev have even had much time to hang out in their time in the NHL. The best time for any of that is during the offseason, and Zherdev always returns home during that time anyway. I couldn't tell you what Radulov does.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
ThirdEye

Although this whole thing is annoying, I think it's kind of pointless focusing on it right now.

All I know is that he's going to play at least one season here. If he likes it here and performs up to expectations I'm sure he'll be offered his due. If he still wants to leave for Russia, then so be it.

There's also the chance that he'll turn out to be a huge flop and all the Ranger fans will be screaming for him to get lost. Who knows

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...=afp&type=lgns

Those quotes are pulled from the same article that I translated pieces of last night.
This is what I can't quite figure out with the Radulov thing...did he just not like Nashville at all? What "conditions" are these? Did he want guaranteed icetime? More money? Does he really not understand that Nashville couldn't give him more money for the upcoming season, or is this just a lame excuse to rationalize his behavior?

It just sounds low class and fishy to me. And this from a guy who spent most of this developing years talking about how much he wanted to play in the NHL over anything else. So he plays one year and is ready to leave NA, where he spent the past several years developing. It's just bizarre and screwy.

Old
07-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
"It's hard to fathom why MacLean became so budget-conscious just when he got to Zherdev, unless he maxed out his credit card by giving money to everybody else. There was money for Rick Nash, David Vyborny, Manny Malhotra, Ron Hainsey, Jody Shelley and Rostislav Klesla, money for just about everybody but Zherdev and Dan Fritsche, who must have eaten a deep-fried mushroom with his fingers at one of the team?s cocktail parties."
The whole MacLean thing was weird. It was like he just didn't like Zherdev, and he holds a grudge against Russian players to this day.

Old
07-11-2008, 09:25 AM
CBJSlash

Honestly one of the pros to trading Z for myself at least is that I wouldn't have to think about things like this.

It seems to me that the money is better in Russia now than it was a few years ago. That may be a farce (like the Cold War), but it is at least the money right now.

I was saying last week, I wasn't sure you'd be able to afford Z with his raise anyway with your cap situation with Redden, Roszival, Lundquist, Gomez, and Drury. Dubinsky will need signed next year. Well you could afford it... but it might not be the wisest choice.

Old
07-11-2008, 09:27 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
The whole MacLean thing was weird. It was like he just didn't like Zherdev, and he holds a grudge against Russian players to this day.
That is true. I think he is bitter he overruled the scouts to pick Z when the chief of scouting wanted Phaneuf.

Maclean did screw up Zherdev. Last year was probably a better indication of what you will get. You just might only get it for a year.

Old
07-11-2008, 09:30 AM
NYR Viper

hmmm.....i just really hope he likes NYC.....anyone who goes to the games regularly better cheer real hard for everything he does.....im going to be really pissed if he leaves after next season........although if all he was looking for was money, i could see sather throwing over 5 million at him for 5 years if he performs and gets along with the team........

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:32 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Honestly one of the pros to trading Z for myself at least is that I wouldn't have to think about things like this.

It seems to me that the money is better in Russia now than it was a few years ago. That may be a farce (like the Cold War), but it is at least the money right now.

I was saying last week, I wasn't sure you'd be able to afford Z with his raise anyway with your cap situation with Redden, Roszival, Lundquist, Gomez, and Drury. Dubinsky will need signed next year. Well you could afford it... but it might not be the wisest choice.
the nice thing for the rangers is that they will be having an influx of young talent most likely next season who are very cheap.......Anisimov, Cheraponov, Sanguinetti, + some others, they will not be paying there lower line guys pretty much anything......also, if there is a problem, sather will find a way to get him under contract for a long time......how much do you think he will get?....5?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:36 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the nice thing for the rangers is that they will be having an influx of young talent most likely next season who are very cheap.......Anisimov, Cheraponov, Sanguinetti, + some others, they will not be paying there lower line guys pretty much anything......also, if there is a problem, sather will find a way to get him under contract for a long time......how much do you think he will get?....5?
That would the equivalent of about 3 million in Russia. Jagr got 7. So I'd expect Z to get about 4-5 Russian or about 7-8 million American.

When you see the dollars for Radulov, you'll have a better idea.

Old
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post

Anyway, I honestly couldn't tell you how Radulov affects Zherdev. Zherdev's had his buddies traded away--or lost--before (Fedorov and Svitov), and even after all of that he still managed to say that he was happy in Columbus and had no desire for a scenery change. I can't imagine Radulov and Zherdev have even had much time to hang out in their time in the NHL. The best time for any of that is during the offseason, and Zherdev always returns home during that time anyway. I couldn't tell you what Radulov does.
Thanks for the insight... Good info.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote