HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Radulov's return to Russia impact Zherdev?

Old
07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
no one drives in ny except for cabbies and people from jersey....
and cabbies don't get stuck in traffic?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
That would the equivalent of about 3 million in Russia. Jagr got 7. So I'd expect Z to get about 4-5 Russian or about 7-8 million American.

When you see the dollars for Radulov, you'll have a better idea.
I don't think you can just throw a blanket over all Russian players and say they'll all react the exact same way. Maybe Zherdev has no interest in going to the KHL at the moment. I know you've been trying to pound this idea into our heads by mentioning it every single time you post, but the thing is that you have absolutely no idea what his thinking is and what kind of contract he'll be looking for.

At this point you honestly just sound like you're trying to justify the trade. Maybe I should start talking about how Tyutin is probably heading back to Russia as soon as his contract runs out. I mean, he plays on the international teams, obviously he's highly regarded. Surely some Russian team will make him a nice offer that the Jackets can't afford to match.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Why the hell are people mad at Radulov. As if the NHL doesn't do the same to Russian talent year after year...

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Why the hell are people mad at Radulov. As if the NHL doesn't do the same to Russian talent year after year...
Except for most of the time, the Russian teams had agreed to a deal in which they were compensated. Personally I agree that the NHL should have been paying them more money and has had a sense of entitlement about the whole thing, but it's still annoying.

What Malkin did was pretty skeezy as well, but at the very least he had a legal out to use. I'm also fairly annoyed at Filatov for how he's handled his situation. Radulov's situation is basically Yashin all over again, however, and it is annoying because of all the fuss he made about playing in the NHL before giving up after 1 full year. I mean, he's been playing in NA for 4 years now, has a guaranteed spot on the Predators, and is now leaving while still under contract. Meh

Old
07-11-2008, 09:52 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Thanks for the insight... Good info.
It is good info, except Feds. Z and Feds did not have a relationship. After Svitov bolted, Z did branch out with his teammates, even playing cards with them etc...

He did some pieces on the jumbotron in English, which made the fans go crazy and stuff like that. He began to come out of his shell as his comfort level rose and he was positively reinforced by the fans.

Hopefully he continues to grow in this regard rather than regress in a new environment.

Last edited by CBJSlash: 07-11-2008 at 10:05 AM.
CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Radulov is a ******* ****ing piece of ****. **** that **********, I hope he tears both his ACLs and can never walk again without a limp.

If Zherdev wants to go back to Russia when he's no longer under contract, fine. But **** him if he skips out on a contract

While I"m at it, **** Filatov for getting this **** started. Stupid mother****er should have gotten his **** straight before now instead of causing all this drama. Thanks a lot, ********.

Filatov did not start this you jerk. Filatov is not under contract to any team in Russia. The Russians have even admitted this.

The Russians are trying to change the rules with Filatov, saying that since money was spent on his development in Russia then Columbus has to compensate them for that money. A totally bogus argument.

This is typical Russian BS.

Alex Svitov signed a 2.5 year deal with Columbus last year and weeks later bolted to Russia. So, does Russia owe Columbus money for what we spent on Svitov? A player who was under contract with us? How soon they forget!

Everything with the Russians is one-way! They have no problem snatching contracted players from the NHL, but cry a freaking river when a player wants to come here, even ones with NO CONTRACT with any of their teams.

Pathetic little cry babies!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
It is good info, except Feds. Z and Feds did not have a relationship. After Svitov bolted, Z did branch out with his teammates, even playing cards with them etc...

He did some pieces on the jumbotron in English, which made the fans go crazy and stuff like that. We began to come out of his shell as his comfort level rose and he was positively reinforced by the fans.

Hopefully he continues to grow in this regard rather than regress in a new environment.
Hopefully Columbus turned him into a man, because lets be honest hes still pretty young.

Now hes got the big stage to take the next step.

The thing that i see with him is he seems to love the crowd when he scores. Columbus has good fans, and they surprise me with their enthusiasm - but Zherdev hasnt scored a big goal in MSG, when he does im sure he'll get addicted to that feeling - with all due respect, its quite different...

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
and cabbies don't get stuck in traffic?
if you don't like traffic take the subway. and it isn't like he is jeter....my guess 1 out of 50 people may recognize him....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:01 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
I don't think you can just throw a blanket over all Russian players and say they'll all react the exact same way. Maybe Zherdev has no interest in going to the KHL at the moment. I know you've been trying to pound this idea into our heads by mentioning it every single time you post, but the thing is that you have absolutely no idea what his thinking is and what kind of contract he'll be looking for.

At this point you honestly just sound like you're trying to justify the trade. Maybe I should start talking about how Tyutin is probably heading back to Russia as soon as his contract runs out. I mean, he plays on the international teams, obviously he's highly regarded. Surely some Russian team will make him a nice offer that the Jackets can't afford to match.
I am strictly talking about this player. Tyutin is Russian also. We have other Russians, I am talking about my personal views of this one particular player given what I perceive through his past behavior.

This is what levels out the trade IMO.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Renion

Quote:
That isn't entirely true, and I say that as one who used to believe it was true. Someone on our own board was reporting that Zherdev and Feds went out for drinks a few times a week. I think the impression that Zherdev and Fedorov didn't get along came mostly from comments about how Zherdev didn't listen to everything Fedorov told him, because he was a lone ranger. I don't know about anyone else, but just because I don't consider someone my guru doesn't mean I'm not his friend.

Also, and I'll try to find the quote, but I recall reading recently in an article that Zherdev was anticipating visiting with Fedorov back in the homeland.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
The thing that i see with him is he seems to love the crowd when he scores. Columbus has good fans, and they surprise me with their enthusiasm - but Zherdev hasnt scored a big goal in MSG, when he does im sure he'll get addicted to that feeling - with all due respect, its quite different...
Really? Hell why does any Hockey player want to play on a team in "fly-over" country? There's pretty much nothing but a big void between L.A. and N.Y.

How dare a team from a train wreck of a city like Detroit get good players and win the Cup!! Those players all want to be in N.Y., they just don't know it yet.

Not picking on your post in particular, just used it as an example.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Cherepanisimov

no, i dont think that zherdev will go back to russia, he'll get big money from slats or offer sheets next year.
but if he does leave(during his contract, like a-rad), we should get pick compensation.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I am strictly talking about this player. Tyutin is Russian also. We have other Russians, I am talking about my personal views of this one particular player given what I perceive through his past behavior.

This is what levels out the trade IMO.
I'm honestly just really grumpy today and you kept on mentioning that in every post.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Heat McManus

I'm just baffled as to why this hasn't been reported on any of the NA sites other than blogs.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Really? Hell why does any Hockey player want to play on a team in "fly-over" country? There's pretty much nothing but a big void between L.A. and N.Y.

How dare a team from a train wreck of a city like Detroit get good players and win the Cup!! Those players all want to be in N.Y., they just don't know it yet.

Not picking on your post in particular, just used it as an example.
Maybe you didn't know, but you're on the Rangers board, if you don't like what someone says, too bad, go away.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I'm just baffled as to why this hasn't been reported on any of the NA sites other than blogs.
would you really expect it to be? it's embarrassing for the NHL, I don't see why they'd put it on their site.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
would you really expect it to be? it's embarrassing for the NHL, I don't see why they'd put it on their site.
Yeah but TSN would be all over that

edit: well there you go. I wonder if the IIHF is going to do anything, because tehy're basically the only ones at this point. If they suspended him from international play, I wonder what would happen.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:

TSN has the story up now. Not much different than the rest. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:58 AM
squishy

Quote:
Yahoo Sports is a blog?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...=afp&type=lgns

(This link was posted a page back)

And here's the TSN link:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2431...=topStory_main

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Levitate

I think we're all basically waiting for comments from the NHL, Nashville, etc, instead of re-translations of the same, original article.

Old
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Filatov did not start this you jerk. Filatov is not under contract to any team in Russia. The Russians have even admitted this.

The Russians are trying to change the rules with Filatov, saying that since money was spent on his development in Russia then Columbus has to compensate them for that money. A totally bogus argument.

This is typical Russian BS.

Alex Svitov signed a 2.5 year deal with Columbus last year and weeks later bolted to Russia. So, does Russia owe Columbus money for what we spent on Svitov? A player who was under contract with us? How soon they forget!

Everything with the Russians is one-way! They have no problem snatching contracted players from the NHL, but cry a freaking river when a player wants to come here, even ones with NO CONTRACT with any of their teams.

Pathetic little cry babies!
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I really don't know to much about this topic to comment but that post you wrote cracked me up.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
I think we're all basically waiting for comments from the NHL, Nashville, etc, instead of re-translations of the same, original article.
I hope he is forced to play for Nashville but even if he is he is a goner next yr then for sure

What about Cherapanov?......hope he stays

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
squishy

Quote:
Yeah but TSN would be all over that

edit: well there you go. I wonder if the IIHF is going to do anything, because tehy're basically the only ones at this point. If they suspended him from international play, I wonder what would happen.
The IIHF suspended Chistov, Kaigorodov, Svitov, and Taratukhin from the World Championships this season for running out on their NHL contracts last season, I'd expect them to apply the same rules to Radulov.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:05 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I suspect Brighton will be able to fill Zherdev's cultural needs as it does for most Russian players, so as long as the Rangers pony up the cash, I think he'll stay here. The team's financial status and ability to attract other good players should help, too. This is all assuming that he works out to begin with.

But yeah, I expect him to stay here.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn and have lived here my entire life but my parents are both immigrants from Soviet Ukraine. Many of my friends and relatives live on Brighton Beach, and while I myself am VERY Americanized, I am also very familiar with Russian culture.

If they come to play in North America, Russian players all want to play and live in NYC. I've met quite a few, simply by chance, on Brighton, and they all say the same thing.

If they play in the NHL they usually prefer to play in a city with a large Russian population, and if not that, then a cosmopolitan city or one with a European flavor (such as Montreal). They're not exactly interested in playing in Columbus or Nashville. The Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Panthers, Leafs and Habs are basically the teams that Russian guys want to play for most.

Maybe as guys get older and mature more, and get acclimated to North American life, as well as North Americans, they change their tune (Sergei Zubov, who almost bolted when the Pens traded him to the Stars). Playing for a good team also helps. Just look at Gonchar in Pittsburgh.

I think nationalism, specifically the renewed effort by the Russian government to develop nationalism, is having an effect, too. That;s why you might see more and more young guys do this as opposed to just old guys who can't get good deals in the NHL anymore.

Hopefully Zherdev doesn't apply.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
That may not be the best thing for you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I've lived in downtown Columbus 2 years now (2 blocks from Zherdev), and it's a VERY welcoming city. Was in St Louis for 3 years before that....not so much there.
I'd rather have a player enjoy the city for all its worth rather than not. I figure if they're happy and living well they'll play better. If they get distracted, its not because of the city, that would probably have happened anywhere.

I've been to Columbus many times and I agree it's a really nice city, esp compared to others in the midwest, lots of great stuff to do there. But comparing it to NYC is apples and oranges.

So I agree with all the posters that the fact that the draw of playing in NY should make it easier to keep Zherdev and Cherepanov from bolting. Remember the day after Chere was drafted? First thing they did was take him to Brighton Beach.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote