HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Gorges Re-Signed to a 3-Year Deal (1.1M$ Cap Hit)

Old
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
CoffeeShopDanish

vCash: 500
This is today's La Presse article on Gorges
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...5026/CPDMINUTE

My French is just average... can someone translate this part for me?
Quote:
Car on a tendance à l'oublier: l'arrière originaire de la Colombie-Britannique était le capitaine des Rockets de Kelowna lors de leur conquête de la Coupe Memorial en 2004

CoffeeShopDanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipchuro View Post

Because we have the tendency to forget, the defender (originally from British Columbia), was the captain of the Kelowna Rockets when they won the Mem Cup.

edit: I need some work

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:

lol. was about to post that. Just further proves that Marc-André Grondin browses these boards.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:

Godin is officially my hero.

If his next article askes why Chipchura hasn't been called up, he will become my figure of worship.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Godin is officially my hero.

If his next article askes why Chipchura hasn't been called up, he will become my figure of worship.
He needs to find a way to use that icon in one of his paper.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Russeltown

Speechless! Way to go Godin!!!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Le Slow Poke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Wow.

He still has a loooong way to go before being "better than Rivet ever was".
Just the fact he's not a cancer in the locker room or a clicky 5-6 pairing D getting first line minutes makes him quite better than Rivet.

I loved it when they started to purge them from the team. Theodore - Ribero - Rivet - Souray etc.

Having those guys gone has done wonders for the team.

Le Slow Poke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:47 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Slow Poke View Post
Just the fact he's not a cancer in the locker room or a clicky 5-6 pairing D getting first line minutes makes him quite better than Rivet.

I loved it when they started to purge them from the team. Theodore - Ribero - Rivet - Souray etc.

Having those guys gone has done wonders for the team.
Spent much time with Rivet ? Spoke to many who have ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Le Slow Poke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Spent much time with Rivet ? Spoke to many who have ?
No not at all.

I do remember the crazy looker room reports and... watching him play.

I watch Gorges play and see a good team player who is still developing. He's a gem.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:
No not at all.

I watch Gorges play and see a good team player who is still developing. He's a gem.
Can you enlighten me as to these crazy episodes ?

Old
07-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Le Slow Poke*

Quote:
Can you enlighten me as to these crazy episodes ?
Of course, and you were a member of the boards when people were commenting on the locker room under Rivet/Koivu but since you are feigning ignorance I'll take a shot at jogging your memory...

As I recall, he and small group of players would attack other players about their play while playing no better. This caused a rift in the club. Remember? God, I have to start saving threads.

That's not how you lead... especially when your team is taking lumps. I don't see Gorges doing this in the future and if he does BG would drop him just like Rivet and Co.

The one thing that puzzles me is that Koivu managed to stay with the club after being a part of the issue. I'm glad he did but it's still a mystery to me.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:

[...]

The one thing that puzzles me is that Koivu managed to stay with the club after being a part of the issue. I'm glad he did but it's still a mystery to me.

Maybe because he's the captain and actually a good player?

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Le Slow Poke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Maybe because he's the captain and actually a good player?
Ok, I didn't say he was a bad player and inferred he was a poor captian for the clicky attacks on other players.

I am just surprised he wasn't traded like the othe members.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:44 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Of course, and you were a member of the boards when people were commenting on the locker room under Rivet/Koivu but since you are feigning ignorance I'll take a shot at jogging your memory...

As I recall, he and small group of players would attack other players about their play while playing no better. This caused a rift in the club. Remember? God, I have to start saving threads.

That's not how you lead... especially when your team is taking lumps. I don't see Gorges doing this in the future and if he does BG would drop him just like Rivet and Co.

There's a joke in there about my not having to feign ignorance but that's another story.

I was here when Rivet snapped after Dagenais caught him with a shot during practice. There was an extended thread dealing with the usual. Rivet should control himself, this is/was a result of feuding groups in the room, my own thoughts at the time were that who knows, maybe Dags wasn't one of his favorite guys, but fights happen like that. They happen less than they used to because there are more yes on you, but they happen.

Criticizing other players ? No recollection whatsoever. He did criticize the fans after some particularly churlish behaviour towrds Brisebois. Brisebois acknowledged how much he appreciated Rivet's support, but it was a minor thing.

Rivet was a vocal player and assumed leadership as his role increased. As happens often, his play in his final year didn't match the locker room role and he was at odds with the staff, and something had to give. The next wave had to assume more responsibility, SJ offered a good deal and here we are.

Rivet sitting in judgement of players ? Ya got me. Some didn't like him because his was the face in front of the microphone often but that's usually a result of others hiding while 1 or 2 stand up.

Old
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Le Slow Poke*

Quote:
There's a joke in there about my not having to feign ignorance but that's another story.

I was here when Rivet snapped after Dagenais caught him with a shot during practice. There was an extended thread dealing with the usual. Rivet should control himself, this is/was a result of feuding groups in the room, my own thoughts at the time were that who knows, maybe Dags wasn't one of his favorite guys, but fights happen like that. They happen less than they used to because there are more yes on you, but they happen.

Criticizing other players ? No recollection whatsoever. He did criticize the fans after some particularly churlish behaviour towrds Brisebois. Brisebois acknowledged how much he appreciated Rivet's support, but it was a minor thing.

Rivet was a vocal player and assumed leadership as his role increased. As happens often, his play in his final year didn't match the locker room role and he was at odds with the staff, and something had to give. The next wave had to assume more responsibility, SJ offered a good deal and here we are.

Rivet sitting in judgement of players ? Ya got me. Some didn't like him because his was the face in front of the microphone often but that's usually a result of others hiding while 1 or 2 stand up.
Thanks! I think that I balled the entire episode onto Rivet but still think Gorges is a much better D and I don't get what I call the "Rivet Cringe" while he's on the ice.

I've said this before but would like to say it again... "You sir are a gentleman" and I mean that sincerely.

Old
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Thanks! I think that I balled the entire episode onto Rivet but still think Gorges is a much better D and I don't get what I call the "Rivet Cringe" while he's on the ice.

I've said this before but would like to say it again... "You sir are a gentleman" and I mean that sincerely.
I'm actually not but my Mother is. [Maiden name]

Old
07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
He did criticize the fans after some particularly churlish behaviour towrds Brisebois. Brisebois acknowledged how much he appreciated Rivet's support, but it was a minor thing.
It was also the right thing to do, IMO.

Anyway, I always thought Rivet was a solid player and very dedicated to the team. And like you, I see some resemblance in both players as I think they aren't particularly flashy and both seem to make the best of limited (NHL-wise) talent.

Quote:
No not at all.

Everybody is entitled to his opinion but reading many posts on this thread, it seems you are micro-reviewing Rivet's entire career based on late struggles and unsubstantiated rumors to proclaim Gorges is better than Craig ever was.

Yes, Gorges is still developing and most fans will expect all kinds of wonderful things and that's cool.

But Craig Rivet was a contributing player for this franchise and played with the Habs for over 600 games without being traded. And while he will never be mistaken for a genetic crossing of Mark Messier and Bobby Orr, he did seem like a character guy and was certainly a solid defenseman. Certainly better overall than what Gorges has shown so far.

It just sucks that with certain fans, new players are always hailed as the next big thing while older guys who are out are considered like crap. Call me back when Gorges has played 700+ NHL games and let's see what kind of rumors will be floating around at that time and how many people and fans he will have vexed.

I don't mind Gorges and I like his new contract. But I bet you in 6-8 years, another poster will praise a young player, Ernesto DaBluelina or whatever his name will be, and crap all over Gorges saying exactly the same shortsighted nonsense.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-11-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
It was also the right thing to do, IMO.

Anyway, I always thought Rivet was a solid player and very dedicated to the team. And like you, I see some resemblance in both players as I think they aren't particularly flashy and both seem to make the best of limited (NHL-wise) talent.
Oh yeah, I was impressed when he backed Brisebois. I think if you compare their play/style it's easy to mis-judge them. Gorges being smaller and a better skater, you'd assume he'd be the better offensive guy when Rivet actually has a better shot [though average] and moves along the point a bit better.

I think Gorges is better in terms of body position, one on one battles etc. Rivet wasn't very physical, he could fight, but he never had the leg drive to take guys out.

Both are best as good off side d men, playing with a better partner. Personality wise I find them to have stuff in common.