HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If there is a favorite in 2004...it's....

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2004, 07:47 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

vCash: 500
If there is a favorite in 2004...it's....

....your San Jose Sharks.....well...if there is a 2004

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5160722/

Old
06-08-2004, 09:12 PM
sharkyz15

Send a message via AIM to sharkyz15 Send a message via Yahoo to sharkyz15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM

It is funny you mention this because when the sharks were in the playoffs and i remember listening to the radio and they were talking about hockey. The host (cant remember the show) was talking of the lack of interest in the bay area in the reg seasone. One of the callers said. "Well those who dont like hockey better keep expecting sucess because the sharks will be favorites probably with vancuver."

I thought bout what he said and i realized he was correct.
Why?

Sharks proved they could go deep into the playoffs
They are still young and improving
Atleast 2 more top 6 forwards should be added into the line up
Teams in question:
Detroit- Old and slow, sharks would KILL them in the playoffs, they have some good young players like Datsyuk (Chocker) and Hudler but most are pretty small

Colorado- Could be loosing Foresberg, still weak after top 2 lines

Dallas- they will be unloading some players, probably will finish with seeds 6-10 in west

Calgary- History doesnt lie

Stl Luise- should i even mention them

Here is my list for the top contender is the west next year

1. Sharks
2. Vancuver
3. Detroit
4. Colorado
5. Las Angeles
6. Calgary
7. Minnisota (my team to watch ;-) )

Great article by the way

Old
06-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
You fortget about the west. I think both Ottawa and Toronto could become big threats next year if they can work it out. All the Canadian clubs are becoming threats. Don't count out Tampa, I don't think what they did was a one night stand either.

If the Sharks, Calgary, or Vancouver don't become threats, East Conference will take the cup again.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:53 PM
sharkyz15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania
You fortget about the west. I think both Ottawa and Toronto could become big threats next year if they can work it out. All the Canadian clubs are becoming threats. Don't count out Tampa, I don't think what they did was a one night stand either.

If the Sharks, Calgary, or Vancouver don't become threats, East Conference will take the cup again.

I dont at the least fear toronto

havent you heard of the curse of pete stemkowski

Tampa should be the favorites in the east
Ottawa has the talent but then they have had that for years with no rings to show for it

Old
06-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Calling out the Swami eh?

You really can't predict who will end up where just yet because of free agent signings, and prospect development and whatnot. San Jose should be back next year in the thick of things for sure. The division is certainly winnable again next season and San Jose's another scorer away from being the West's represenative in the Cup final.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:13 PM
sharkyz15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
Calling out the Swami eh?

You really can't predict who will end up where just yet because of free agent signings, and prospect development and whatnot. San Jose should be back next year in the thick of things for sure. The division is certainly winnable again next season and San Jose's another scorer away from being the West's represenative in the Cup final.

Ofcourse it's to early but you can pretty much tell who the contenders will be

Old
06-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyz15
Ofcourse it's to early but you can pretty much tell who the contenders will be
Hmm, I'm not sure about that one. The usuals, DET, COL, DAL will be around. I expect Nashville to snag a 5 or 6 seed next season...if there is one. SJ will be there. Calgary as well. Next year Edmonton makes it. Columbus will surprise people next year.

Old
06-08-2004, 11:22 PM
sharkyz15

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure about that one. The usuals, DET, COL, DAL will be around. I expect Nashville to snag a 5 or 6 seed next season...if there is one. SJ will be there. Calgary as well. Next year Edmonton makes it. Columbus will surprise people next year.

I think minnisota will be in the playoffs next year

Old
06-09-2004, 01:03 AM
a89mogilny89

Send a message via ICQ to a89mogilny89 Send a message via AIM to a89mogilny89 Send a message via MSN to a89mogilny89 Send a message via Yahoo to a89mogilny89
Quote:
Eh, I'd give 'em another year on that. PM Bouchard will get his experience, maybe even O'Sullivan as well. Daigle probably fluked last season leading the Wild in points. Minnesota just has too many ties, need to go for the wins.

Old
06-09-2004, 03:57 AM
Sanderson

This part seems interesting to me:

Quote:
The possibility of a rival league has piqued the interest of some players. Detroit defenseman Chris Chelios indicated he’d consider playing for a WHA team in Detroit.

"I’ll be more than happy to stay here and play for them," Legace said.

Brett Hull, whose father Bobby is WHA commissioner, also suggested he might give the new league a try.

"They’ve expressed interest in being part of the league and several other players have also expressed interest," Howell said.

Every NHL player who isn't at the end of his career would be a hypocrite, if he played in the WHA, considering they have a Salary Cap, something the NHLPA doesn't want to have in the NHL.
Maybe some players won't care, if there is a salary cap (in the NHL) or not, but the Union would get weaker if they let these guys play.

Old
06-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania

The Leafs are far too old to be a contender even if there isn't a strike. With a work stoppage they have no chance. Ottawa is the biggest threat but I don't believe Murray has ever won anything so it is hard to say if they will go from pretender to contender.
I see Los Angeles and Vancouver as contenders but they can't match the Sharks in net. Hopefully they don't aquire next season's Kiprusoff. Detroit and Colorado will probably do well in the regular season but they are too old to go far in the post season. Anaheim should rebound. It could be a San Jose - Calgary final again next year and the Sharks should take it if they add defensive depth, someone to run the power play and a forward or two who can win a faceoff.

Old
06-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM

Damn. Sutter is smarter than I am giving him credit for.

Old
06-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Mr Brownstone

Quote:
It all depends for Minnesota. I think they won't make the playoffs and it will be a season of "what ifs". I don't believe O'Sullivan can carry the load offensively, and they don't have a playmaking center for Gaborik. Roloson and Fernandez keep them in lots of games, but Minnesota's going to have to go out and spend some money if they want to be a playoff caliber squad.

Back to my point about Columbus. I think Columbus sneaks in as an 8 seed. Klesla will mature again this year, Nash will score 40 goals, and Marchant's going to be more of a force. Denis is always overlooked in net because Columbus' record is not appealing to anyone, but he is a solid goaltender. Columbus is headed in the right direction and I still think Cam Barker can be an immediate impact player, if Columbus lets him.

Old
06-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Mr Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
I see Los Angeles and Vancouver as contenders but they can't match the Sharks in net. Hopefully they don't aquire next season's Kiprusoff. Detroit and Colorado will probably do well in the regular season but they are too old to go far in the post season. Anaheim should rebound. It could be a San Jose - Calgary final again next year and the Sharks should take it if they add defensive depth, someone to run the power play and a forward or two who can win a faceoff.
If LA keeps the injury bug away and re-signs Palffy. If they lose Palffy, I question their scoring output. I believe Huet really emerges next season as a very capable #1, and that helps the Kings. Anaheim is still up in the air in my book. Fedorov had a subpar year and their defensive corps had a major letdown from their Cup run. I think next year will be one of those years where 5-10 seeds are all separated by a couple points.

Old
06-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
If LA keeps the injury bug away and re-signs Palffy. If they lose Palffy, I question their scoring output. I believe Huet really emerges next season as a very capable #1, and that helps the Kings. Anaheim is still up in the air in my book. Fedorov had a subpar year and their defensive corps had a major letdown from their Cup run. I think next year will be one of those years where 5-10 seeds are all separated by a couple points.
Even last season the Sharks finished 3rd in the Conference but only clinched a playoff spot in the last few weeks of the season. As you say it will probably be even closer this year. Of course if they only play part of the season close races are a given.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Mr Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
Even last season the Sharks finished 3rd in the Conference but only clinched a playoff spot in the last few weeks of the season. As you say it will probably be even closer this year. Of course if they only play part of the season close races are a given.
If you're talking about this past season, 2003-2004, San Jose was a 2 seed. I have myself ready for no season at all, but I'm saved by Barons hockey. If it's part of a season, it won't show the true mark of any team in my estimation, because one injury can cripple a team for that short amount of time. Here's to hoping Goodenow and Bettman solve this BS and we can drop the puck in October.

Old
06-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
If you're talking about this past season, 2003-2004, San Jose was a 2 seed. I have myself ready for no season at all, but I'm saved by Barons hockey. If it's part of a season, it won't show the true mark of any team in my estimation, because one injury can cripple a team for that short amount of time. Here's to hoping Goodenow and Bettman solve this BS and we can drop the puck in October.
Yes. I meant 03-04. I forgot that Vancouver overhauled Colorado in their division making SJ the #2 seed.
One injury could be diastrous in a partial season if it happens early in the season. The thing about a compressed season (sat 40 games) is that there probably won't be enough games for a team to pull away in the points race.

Closed Thread