HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Duane Sutter leaves Panthers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
  #1
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,046
vCash: 500
Duane Sutter leaves Panthers

He's been named the new DPD for the Flames. Shocker. Just saw it on the NHL network ticker.

Too bad. I liked Duane.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 08:20 PM
  #2
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,831
vCash: 50
What was his position in the Panthers organization??

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
  #3
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
What was his position in the Panthers organization??
director of player development

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:24 AM
  #4
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,831
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
director of player development
Geez, that's unfortunate.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
  #5
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
I'm going to say this is another move that raises eyebrows - Sutter takes the same job with another team, when he wasn't reported to be on the outs with Florida?

Okay, I guess I understand Nieuwendyk wanting to go back to Toronto, but he wasn't happy with the "direction" Florida was taking when he left...now Sutter, who again I can sort of understand wanting to work in Calgary, only the nature of his job is he travels a lot anyway...

Something smells here.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
  #6
wint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Meh. Doesn't speak well for us, but name one young player other than David Booth who has been "developed" up to his potential. I think a few changes like this throughout the organization could be good, provided JM finds a new-blood replacement a la DeBoer.

wint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:47 AM
  #7
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wint View Post
Meh. Doesn't speak well for us, but name one young player other than David Booth who has been "developed" up to his potential. I think a few changes like this throughout the organization could be good, provided JM finds a new-blood replacement a la DeBoer.
Greg Campbell? Kamil Kreps? Kristian Huselius? Niklas Hagman?

I think if you look over the Panthers' draft history since Sutter's been director of player development he's not had a lot to work with that isn't already in the NHL, and since the team's not had much of a development program, he had neither the raw material to work with nor the tools.

But, in defense of your position, Sutter wasn't a great coach for us, either.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:56 AM
  #8
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Anything think that maybe he just wanted to join his brother up there? Not that big of a shock IMO.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:21 AM
  #9
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Something smells here.
Martin? Yormark? Cohen?

or perhaps he just missed Mike?

PS-Anybody else surprised that Jack Birch, a Keenan crony, is still on the payroll?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:36 AM
  #10
Booth10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
His family lives in Calgary and his two brothers work and run Calgary. Isnt it obvious why he would want to work there, if they offered him a job.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:56 AM
  #11
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I'm going to say this is another move that raises eyebrows - Sutter takes the same job with another team, when he wasn't reported to be on the outs with Florida?

Okay, I guess I understand Nieuwendyk wanting to go back to Toronto, but he wasn't happy with the "direction" Florida was taking when he left...now Sutter, who again I can sort of understand wanting to work in Calgary, only the nature of his job is he travels a lot anyway...

Something smells here.
there was something else going on with the newy situation - we had an insider post something along the lines of him wanting the GM position and leaving when it was clear JM was going to be forced to take it over the coaching position he loved so much. no it looks like he's stepping into a position in TO where he can be groomed to become their next GM.

it seems he did an OK job but i think there is room for improvement in this area (as well as scouting).

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
  #12
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Greg Campbell? Kamil Kreps? Kristian Huselius? Niklas Hagman?

I think if you look over the Panthers' draft history since Sutter's been director of player development he's not had a lot to work with that isn't already in the NHL, and since the team's not had much of a development program, he had neither the raw material to work with nor the tools.

But, in defense of your position, Sutter wasn't a great coach for us, either.
While the second paragraph in your message has merit to it - it's still really hard to cry over loosing this guy. If your list is supposed to wake some "oh yeah, Sutter really developed those guys well" -feeling, it didn't do the trick for me.

Campbell? What is he now excactly that can be seen as developing better than expectations?

Kreps? Projected second line center on a team with no first line, or a respectable third line center to battle it out with. (McLean is supposed to play first line wing, if I gather correct from this board)

Huselius? He was great before he came to NHL in SEL. He was very good his first year in NHL and then it all went downhill, until he left. How does that look good in Suter's resume?

Hagman? His development stalled big-time until he was moved to Dallas.

Good riddance. For once I congratulate Martin for a good move.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:15 PM
  #13
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
While the second paragraph in your message has merit to it - it's still really hard to cry over loosing this guy. If your list is supposed to wake some "oh yeah, Sutter really developed those guys well" -feeling, it didn't do the trick for me.

Campbell? What is he now excactly that can be seen as developing better than expectations?

Kreps? Projected second line center on a team with no first line, or a respectable third line center to battle it out with. (McLean is supposed to play first line wing, if I gather correct from this board)

Huselius? He was great before he came to NHL in SEL. He was very good his first year in NHL and then it all went downhill, until he left. How does that look good in Suter's resume?

Hagman? His development stalled big-time until he was moved to Dallas.

Good riddance. For once I congratulate Martin for a good move.
Sorry, I thought you'd said "who had developed to expectations" - but Hus and Hagman didn't until they left the organization, and Kreps hasn't yet. Only Campbell has lived up to expectations (realistic ones anyway).

I'm not crying over his departure at all - but it still makes me wonder if there's some poison pill within the Panthers' organization that is making some people want to leave.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
  #14
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Sorry, I thought you'd said "who had developed to expectations" - but Hus and Hagman didn't until they left the organization, and Kreps hasn't yet. Only Campbell has lived up to expectations (realistic ones anyway).

I'm not crying over his departure at all - but it still makes me wonder if there's some poison pill within the Panthers' organization that is making some people want to leave.
It wasn't me earlier, I just jumped in.

Poison pill - could be...

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:03 PM
  #15
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Looks like Jack Birch is going to be taking over for Duane Sutter:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa.../its-jack.html

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:08 PM
  #16
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
PS-Anybody else surprised that Jack Birch, a Keenan crony, is still on the payroll?
Methinks that Jack Birch has done some serious sucking up the past few years since JM has replaced THE HOCKEY GOD . Oh well, another former crony Mike won't be on speaking terms with.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:22 PM
  #17
jol
Registered User
 
jol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
But, in defense of your position, Sutter wasn't a great coach for us, either.
Probably not but his hands were really tied. I remember one game, game went to overtime and he had to ask upstairs if he can go with four forwards.
Also he was in some weird situation, he started as a head coach and he was paid as scout, then signed as head coach, got fired and continued working as scout, getting head coach's salary.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.