HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Returning from a sprained ankle

Old
07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
NJDevs430

vCash: 500
Returning from a sprained ankle

I sprained my ankle over a month ago and I'm going to try to return tonight for pick-up. I've never been out this long due to injury...maybe a week or two at most if I felt it was bad enough, but not more than a month.
I know I'll be rusty, and the ankle will probably feel tight...I usually have a fair tolerance for pain when I play, but I don't want to re-injure it. Should I tape it before I go?
Has anyone who's ever had an ankle sprain give me some advice?
Thanks!
}:-)>

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
stick9

Good lord I've had just about everything imaginable happen to one ankle or the other.

Obviously, your skate if going to put a lot of pressure on your ankle so it's bound to be a bit uncomfortable. Since you haven't used it in awhile, you shouldn't push it too much. Also, your ankle is probably going to be sore afterwards. That's to be expected.

I'd try walking around in your skates before playing. If you feel you need more support, go ahead on tape it up.

Go easy, don't push it too hard your first time out.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Bluelineswinships

yeah make sure yu stretch it out first ive had one of hose before not fun to play with but its bareable if its too much pain with the skates try looseinng the boot a bit

Bluelineswinships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
sc37

vCash: 450
Time is always good with sprained ankles. I sprained mine pretty seriously about a year ago and I went ahead and taped it up and played the night after. It was pretty stupid, but I was gung-ho about getting into the game but I still kinda regret it cause my ankle still bothers me. Best bet is to take it slow until you are absolutely sure you can skate well enough. Try to so some light ankle exercises and stretching too...should be a good indication if your ankle can take the pounding. You'll be surprised how important your ankles are. But tape is also a good bet for sure if you can't get some sort of brace or something in your skate...keep it tight so your ankle wont start swelling again once you move around.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430 View Post
I sprained my ankle over a month ago and I'm going to try to return tonight for pick-up. I've never been out this long due to injury...maybe a week or two at most if I felt it was bad enough, but not more than a month.
I know I'll be rusty, and the ankle will probably feel tight...I usually have a fair tolerance for pain when I play, but I don't want to re-injure it. Should I tape it before I go?
Has anyone who's ever had an ankle sprain give me some advice?
Thanks!
}:-)>
You can tape it to help lateral support, but you have to be careful not to overtape so that you restrict your forward flex when striding.

A very common way that people reinjure ankles while recovering is due to added strain when receiving or giving a check, but you shouldn't have that problem since you're playing pickup.

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
mikeylikey

I sprained mine pretty bad 2 months ago, 2 weeks after I started a learn to play hockey program. I've been back on the ice for 3 weeks now, and the guy in the pro shop gave me a roll of sock tape and told me to tape my skate up from the ankle to the top of the skate. It helped a lot, I didn't roll on my ankle at all, but it did prevent me from certain movements (crossovers). I probably should have given the ankle more time...but the tape helped when I was looking to get right back into it after the pain and swelling went down. If you do tape it, tape it so it's sturdy, but don't tape it so tight that you cut off circulation. THAT will probably hurt worse than when you sprained your ankle.

mikeylikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Goodluck.
I really messed my ankle up last Sept. and it wasn't till Feb or March that I could skate pain free. i was on the shelf for quite awhile healing from that. Seemed like everytime I laced them up and went out to play something would tweak it wrong. Just be easy on it, and make sure it can take the abuse your ankles go through in playing situations, before you get out there.

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:16 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Best thing I did when I sprained my ankle was hot/cold treatments. I would go in the jacuzzzi, then when I got out ice it. That seemed to speed up my recovery time.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Vader76

I agree 100% with the hot/cold treatments, only after a few days of the original sprain when the swelling goes down.

After that I would tape it up before playing. There will be slight discomfort/pain/soreness during and after playing, which is good because its scar tissue breaking up.

I sprained my ankle badly playing flag football. I started playing hockey (goal) about a month later. I wasn't pain free until about 4-5 months later.

Vader76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:45 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader76 View Post
I agree 100% with the hot/cold treatments, only after a few days of the original sprain when the swelling goes down.

After that I would tape it up before playing. There will be slight discomfort/pain/soreness during and after playing, which is good because its scar tissue breaking up.

I sprained my ankle badly playing flag football. I started playing hockey (goal) about a month later. I wasn't pain free until about 4-5 months later.
Yah, it takes a long time to heal because it's mainly bone & tendons down there. And you use it all day every day so it doesn't get to rest and recover like other injuries.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

May be a little different, but i broke my fibula playing softball and it took me a good 5months to get back on the Ice. Mainly cause i worried of re-injuring. Luckily, my wife is a Physical Therapist, and my brother sells medical stuff, so between the two, i ended up getting some good stretches, and some decent braces.

Stretching is key to get the muscles and all that good stuff back.
As for braces, i tried a bunch by don joy, but anything with some kind of reinforcement just didnt work, it hurt and barely fit into the boot. I ended up using a sock looking brace with figure eight velcro wraps. At first it was uncomfortable, but i got used to it, and really don't notice it much anymore. I will probably phase out of the wrap, but i still use it just in case. I do not want to break it again.

Also before actually going out to play, i went to a few public skates just to make sure i was okay and to get the ankle going.
It took about 9 months for me to have no pain, but i still notice it when i do somethings, and baby it at times. but i still have bruising and it has been a year now....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Agreed with the guys saying hot and cold treatments. I torqued my ankle pretty good wrestling in the snow and was out for a couple of weeks. But honestly, it hurt more walking on it than it did skating, as the skate boot somewhat immobilizes your foot/ankle. What I did make sure to do was do some ankle rotations both before and after so it doesn't lock up and get all stiff, that was the irritating part. But other than that, you should be ok. Good luck!

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote