HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official prospect camp thread

Old
07-11-2008, 11:06 PM
CritZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Houde View Post
Being a first rounder is not enough to avoid the bad label.
I wouldnt put it as a bad label. With patience and work, the kid has enough talent to maybe become a decent goalie. Its called gambling.

CritZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Houde View Post
Enrico Chicone's protégé.... is bad. Simply cant stop any high shots.
Where's the glove?
It's an invitation....we didn't draft him...so it's just merely an evaluation and my friend who went there quite a few times this week just mentioned him today, so doesn't seem that he was there all week.

As far as where's his glove, I'll tell you tomorrow....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:26 PM
CritZ

As for Fortier, i don't know about you guys, but he is a bad pick. Never seen anything special about him. Can only win faceoffs, he is soft and scared of his own shadow.

Old
07-12-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritZ View Post
As for Fortier, i don't know about you guys, but he is a bad pick. Never seen anything special about him. Can only win faceoffs, he is soft and scared of his own shadow.
Agree to disagree. He's an intense forechecker who's very smart on the ice. Has some hockey sense and skates really well. He's not a body checker and won't score highlight goals, but I think he can become an effective player down the road if he adds some muscle.

I like to compare those kind of guys to Maxim Lapierre. I think of Fortier as Lapierre, except without the hitting and size. They're both intense, good skaters, but you can't really tell if they are offensive minded or defensive minded out there.

Lapierre's getting better defensively lately though.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:19 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Agree to disagree. He's an intense forechecker who's very smart on the ice. Has some hockey sense and skates really well. He's not a body checker and won't score highlight goals, but I think he can become an effective player down the road if he adds some muscle.

I like to compare those kind of guys to Maxim Lapierre. I think of Fortier as Lapierre, except without the hitting and size. They're both intense, good skaters, but you can't really tell if they are offensive minded or defensive minded out there.

Lapierre's getting better defensively lately though.
Lapierre is a very nice player who has a very clear role in the NHL. He is very responsible defensively, has great speed, and is a gritty and intense forechecker who can chip in offensively on occasion. Those are the guys you need anchoring a 4th line. I don't know if Fortier has that ability. I think he is more of a fringe player/career AHLer...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

Thanks for the reports guys

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Lapierre is a very nice player who has a very clear role in the NHL. He is very responsible defensively, has great speed, and is a gritty and intense forechecker who can chip in offensively on occasion. Those are the guys you need anchoring a 4th line. I don't know if Fortier has that ability. I think he is more of a fringe player/career AHLer...

Agreed !!

Hated that draft selection !! Fortier is nothing special. I can't believe we wasted a 3rd round pick on this guy, because he will ends up nothing more than a Career AHLer.

That pick was medium risk, low reward type of pick, which means not worthy at all at that draft position !!

There was far better players still available at that position like Spencer Machacek, John Negrin, Drayson Bowman, Evgeny Dadonov, Nick Palmieri, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Luca Cunti, Joakim Andersson and more !!

This pick looks like Cory Urquhart all over again !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Sthabs

Thx for the report guys

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Agreed !!

Hated that draft selection !! Fortier is nothing special. I can't believe we wasted a 3rd round pick on this guy, because he will ends up nothing more than a Career AHLer.

That pick was medium risk, low reward type of pick, which means not worthy at all at that draft position !!

There was far better players still available at that position like Spencer Machacek, John Negrin, Drayson Bowman, Evgeny Dadonov, Nick Palmieri, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Luca Cunti, Joakim Andersson and more !!

Timmins disagree with you

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:17 AM
kostitsyn1489

The thing is, there are lots of "Cory Urquarth" in the league if you take a look at every 2nd or 3rd round players that didnt make it to the NHL.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Beakermania*

Erika sure hates those two-way players.... Higgins, Chips, now Fortier....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Erika sure hates those two-way players.... Higgins, Chips, now Fortier....
At least we know she's always here to help...

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:20 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
At least we know she's always here to help...
Does anyone else have a strong urge to punch that smiley in the face?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Does anyone else have a strong urge to punch that smiley in the face?
I do too.... I don't mind though.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Prospector

Quote:
I know why some people think Fortier was a bad pick. He's just a vanilla ice cream player you know... nothing impress you in his game but nothing really makes you dislike him, either... He's a good all-around player with no glaring weaknesses or strenghts.

As for me, I'm also not sold on this pick... I'm just worried that we might have drafted him because of the pressure to draft quebecers. (Don't want to start a big debate here, just a thought with no proof)

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Agreed !!

Fortier wasn't my pick either at the time, Palmieri was. But at the same time, he was slated to go around that pick, in the 3rd round. When we picked him, I thought it was more for some local relief or something, although he was supposed to be an intense 2-way player with good skating and speed, which you don't have enough of, on the lower lines or in the AHL/ECHL... I didn't thought he had that bad of a year...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:32 AM
CritZ

Let me continue on my thoughts abour Fortier. I saw him play enough to see he is overrated for the rank he was drafted. I agree with some people saying he can be a role player, but all around his softness dont help him at all. He needs more than bulk up his legs, his upper body needs some meat as well for more confidence in his physical play. I have even seen rookie defenceman in the Q dominate Fortier on one on one stuations and battle along the boards.

Old
07-12-2008, 11:58 AM
znk

Quote:
Let me continue on my thoughts abour Fortier. I saw him play enough to see he is overrated for the rank he was drafted. I agree with some people saying he can be a role player, but all around his softness dont help him at all. He needs more than bulk up his legs, his upper body needs some meat as well for more confidence in his physical play. I have even seen rookie defenceman in the Q dominate Fortier on one on one stuations and battle along the boards.
He gained 15lbs mostly in the legs since the last prospect camp. You say he needs more then this but as soon as you work the core if you have strong legs you will see instant improvement. If you dont have the legs it wont show.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Report coming after lunch. Shouldn't be too extensive though, there was no scrimmages, mostly skating and shooting.

Old
07-12-2008, 12:30 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Report coming after lunch. Shouldn't be too extensive though, there was no scrimmages, mostly skating and shooting.
you better eat fast!!!!!!!!!

suck that they didnt had a scrimmages!!!!!

cant wait to hear you rave about ryan white skating ability and how much a fan you are of him

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
you better eat fast!!!!!!!!!

suck that they didnt had a scrimmages!!!!!

cant wait to hear you rave about ryan white skating ability and how much a fan you are of him
Brace yourself.....you'll have the shock of your life...

Old
07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Brace yourself.....you'll have the shock of your life...
oh god whitesnake is now a bigger ryan white fan than sbatters

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

can't wait for your report!

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
znk

Whitesnake is eating a cow or something.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So like I was saying, no scrimmages mostly shooting exercices that involved some skating as well, cause guys were going at it on breakways and all. I think that in general we have a great bunch of guys that skates and shoots pretty well.

So for the group was divided in 2 and I stayed in the freezing ice rink with seats so I only saw the same exercices by both group 1 hour after the other, so I have no idea what the other group did when I was there, let's hope somebody else was there for those ones.....

Let's start with the MIA first:

- Missiaen (I saw him 5 seconds, he jumped on the ice skated a little, I remember thinking, my god he's huge and then.....he dissapeared, never came back in the rink that I was there. Was he at the other one the whole time, maybe but since the 3 other goalies were in the rink I was in, and Melanson was there as well, I doubt that Missiaen would have been elsewhere. Sucks that he wasn't there....

- Beauregard, Paquet, J.P Testwuide and Weber weren't there.

Let's describe the exercies first the best I can do.....

1- Net covering the other net except a small part open on the right side, and then they changed it so it would be the left part that would be open.
2- Same except it was the top of the net that was open
3- Guy on the blue line accept a pass that he needs to stop it with his glove first put it down and slap or snap it
4- Some passing and shooting exercices, either one pass and shoot against the goalie, either the player receives a pass, pass it back and received it again.
5- Final exercice, the funnier part of the day. 5 pucks in the middle of the ice for the group that was divided in 2 small groups. And each group was going at it against the goalie and if they scored, they took another puck in the middle of the ice. If they don't, they have to take the same puck and pass it to the next teamates that was ready to go. Funnier part was that goalies had the right to take the puck if they stopped it and send it to the other side of the rink where then the player had to rush to pass it to the teamates next in line. Anyway, we saw some great things there, great saves and great chemistry with some Oh's and Ah's from the players and the crowd

That's about it, let's get it on with the players now:

D-MEN (in there was 2 forwards Boisvert and Monahan)

BOISVERT; He surprised me a whole lot today. Good skater but especially good slapshot and great wristers in the top corners practically at will. Most of his shots were hard and accurate. He's obviously not the best today but I may have been surprised since I wasn't expecting anything. Pretty small that's for sure but I saw something interesting there. Looked better than tons of invitees I saw in the past like Labrie and all....

CARLE: Just not fair....a men amongst boys today. At will was picking the corners, was totally impressive in the net on net exercices, skating is really fluid, he improved his skating in my opinion. But his slapper and his wristers are hard and accurate. Just feel that he gave a clinic in precision and quality of shots today.

FISCHER: I will defend him.....but he needs to pick it up. Didn't see an improvement over last year whatsoever. He had a couple, and I really put the emphasis on a couple of great wristers but his slappers are non-existant in strength and in precision. Better precision in the wristers but there's a still A LOT of work to do. I hope he practise that aspect of his game but I really didn't see no improvement in that regard. His passing game is off the chart though, and his skating is just as fluid. I'm absolutely no expert in that field, but should he be using a shorter stick. I just have the feeling that he's not that confortable with it when he goes for the shots. Something he demonstrated today was a great.....forward quality. Undressed the goalies in a couple of occasions with some great moves up close. He's got great hands for some dekes....just doesn't know how to use them for the shots....

KISHEL: Not noticeable like he was last year. Though I like his wristers. Not incredibly strong but he can pick his spots from time to time. Better luck next time once again.

MCDONAGH: Was impressed by his calm, poise and maturity this year even if there wasn't a scrimmages but just the way he conducted himself, the way he skates and shoots the puck. Didn't have a great slapper day today but his wristers were off the chart, precised and strong.I really thought he had an overall great skating and shooting day today.

MONAHAN: For Jaydee......Well Jaydee you will be dissapointed....I didn't see a whole lot from him even though I tried to concentrate on him just for you.... Says 169lbs on the sheet but he looks a little bigger than that. Wasn't impressed by his skating but a threw a couple of great slappes and wristers along the way. Just wasn't inconsistent and didn't wow me. I would put him ahead of the "Was he there?" category, or the Kishel category if you like.....but didn't impress me either. But like Boisvert, again, I think that Monahan was good enough to make me think that he surpasses a lot of invitees we had in the past and maybe just enough to let him finish his Q season as a 20 year old and maybe giving him an invitiation again next year. You do see that he has a sniper mentality. So enough to keep an eye on me. Not enough to lose sleep over it though...

PATERYN: My god.....okay I may be just overestimate him at this point and while he has to work on his aim, he has just an incredible booming shot and great wristers that might be one of the strongest at camp. I was also impressed how big he looks like and that he's a fine skater. Might need to become faster though. But his shots just were pretty hard all day today with some OH's and AH's from the crowd in some occasions. Was impressed. But the kid DOES NOT look like a 5th rounder. Sure there was no games and that's why he could look like a 5th rounder but on skills, size and how he handles himself, I was impressed.

STEJSKAL: Bad day at the office. Inaccurate as hell, maybe the worst one today. You noticed him today but not for the great reasons, missed some one-timers, slappers, snapshots, wristers, couldn't deke.....but then he had a couple of great wristers on the top corners and 1 or 2 accurate booming shots. So he does have a strong slapper. Just that it wasn't on the net too much. Don't think I've noticed that he looked taller than I remember but it's possible. You did see that he has a great shot and that he has some accuracy, but needs to put it together. Just an overall bad day even though he had a couple of good ones.

SUBBAN: PK is PK. Great slapper as always, pretty accurate with it and with his wristers. At one point I think I saw Quattrocchi being scared in some occasions that he was facing him. I have to say that he had less energy this year that he had last year still he's focused and works hard. He made some good passes all day today and wow the fans with a couple of great and accurate wristers and slapshots. Good day for the PK.

TORP: Another one who seems really small but has a great shot for a guy his size. Booming slapper and really really accurate wristers. Wowed the fans in some occasions with it. Great lateral movement on the "Catch the puck with glove, put it down and slap it". Though he couldn't catch the puck......but he did slap it alright......I might not have focused too much on him or at the day progresses, he kinda faded out....

FORWARDS

CONBOY: Didn't focus on him today though he catched my eye on some occasions 'cause I remember thinking that he looked much more confortable this year than he did last year. Showed some skills and some great wristers, I didn't focus on his slapper. Got the top corners on some occasions, but I also think that he looked a little faster. Looks pretty big and might even be bigger than last year. Can't say I was impressed, but I think he made some progress from last year and that's great to see.

DESHARNAIS: Small......hands......small......hands....That's about what you think when you see him.....My god is he small, Fortier was beside him and he looked like a giant....but the kid has some great stickwork and deke the goalies almost at will. He does have underrated shots to his arsenal as well mostly his wristers. Had some accuracy problem today though. But that "deke in the phone booth" expression or any other kind of expression that looks like it, that's him. He's a nice and fluid skater but I think I would like to see him even faster, especially at this size.

FORTIER: Was he in top shape today. Aiming at will, whenever, wherever he wanted. Great fluid skater, didn't focus on his slappers but his wristers today were amongst the best as far as hard but mostly terribly accurate with or without the goalie. Loved his shooting day today.

JOHNSON: Was fine. I don't get the hard criticizm as far as he's concerned. He looks like a 7th rounder, still I prefer him to Kishel....you do notice Johnson a little bit more with his hard work and his hard wrister that could use a little bit more accuracy that's fore sure. There's is some big technical problems as far as skating is concerned, I would have to agree. Was not that noticeable all day though

KRISTO: Needs work on his slapshot, that's for sure. I loved his wristers day today. Pretty accurate, pretty hard, good skater but I do agree that he will need to work on his stride. Had some moments where he looked pretty good, other moments, not that much. Up and down day, but you do see the upside.

MAXWELL: Another men amongst boys. Wasn't trying that hard nor was he lazy but liek Carle he's at another level. Bring on the rookie camp. Great precision, will never have a hard slapper but he's impressive as far as his dekes, and the accuracy of his shots. Just a great fluid skater, not overly fast, but just fluid, it's just a joy to watch him skate. The comparison with Brad Richards is just really really easy to do. Let's see how he translated that in another level now.

PACIORETTY: Not the greatest MaxPac day today. Looked tired and almost disinterested. But even a bad MaxPac looks almost better than anybody else. I really don't get that stupid frail comment by CKAC, the guy looks big, he's fast and he's just our #1 prospect. Even with a not-so great day, he just kept aiming at the goalies chest all day, he succeeded in having some ohhh and ahhh with some dekes he made and some wristers he had. But he's capable of so much more that in the MaxPac scale it wasn't up there. Except in the final exercice of the day in the 5 pucks exercice, he was almost scoring at will and made some incredible dekes. What a prospect!

QUAILER: We might want to not compare him to mini-MaxPac just yet. To me he's more a Maxi-Conboy right now. He's a fine skater for his size but will need to improve it especially his agility and feet speed. His slappers were inaccurate but hard. But his wristers were off the chart today. Really hard and was picking his corners almost at will. Wowed the crowd in some occasions. I was actually impressed by the quality of his shots but in no way is he close to what MaxPac showed us last year in his first time at camp. Tons of work in the agility department.

RUSSELL: Didn't see him much today, was at the other end of the rink and I didn't focus on him. Though I liked the accuracy of his wristers. That's about it, nothing to worry or to panic, almost unnoticeable all day.

TESTWUIDE: Agility= none. Slappers = fine. Good wristers though pretty accurate and hard. But looked like Conboy looked last year. Nothing to write about.

TROTTER: Another one that I didn't focus on still you see him in some plays, in some dekes and in some passes he makes and he makes you think of a mini-Maxwell. Looks really small out there though. But he does have some undeniable skills.

WYMAN: My man, that I kept mentioning for a long time now, at least since he went to his 1st camp (looks like 10 years passed by already....). Was a little invisible today, didn't overly impress, had some great wristers though that the goalies are still looking for as we speak and some good one-timers as well. But nothing spectacular nor bad, nor good.

And last but not least..................drumroll................... THE BEST FORWARD OF THE DAY IS.....................

My man RYAN WHITE !!

Okay I may exaggerate a little but not that much. Definately the best day that I've seen him since he went to any camp. Scored at will, had some surprising dekes in store for us, was extremely accurate in his wristers, in his slappers, especially when there was that net on net exercice with the top of it open, he scored back to back with....some one-timers!!!! The Oh's and the Ah's were not only from the fans but mostly from the players themselves. He had fun out there and it showed but he was good. There wasn't a exercice on skating but he looked a little, and I emphasize, a little faster than I remembered him last year. But his shots were amongst the most accurate of the day. Good job Ryan!

GOALIES

MISSIAEN: Looks big even for 5 seconds....

QUATTROCCHI: Looks small, plays small, just is not in the same category as the others. Sure made some good saves but overall, technique is not there. Showed me that he had a good glove though.

RIOPEL: Good moments and bad moments. Happy that he got a last-minute call. Had a better glove than I anticipated since somebody here said he had NO glove whatsoever. But as far as his lateral movement and his overall movement on the ice, is just all over the place, not fluid and there's just a lot of movement in his body. Was OK, but OK won't cut it.

MAYER: Best goalie out there since Missiaen wasn't there. Still he reminded me where I didn't want us to not draft him. Just pure inconsistency. Seems to easily lose his focus. His technique is pretty good, he's pretty fast, good positionnally, moves well, and is pretty stable. Still in the 5 pucks exercice, his team was winninng like 2 pucks left to 4 and he let 3 goals back to back, though good dekes by the players. But prior to that, when they did that exercice for the first time, he was incredible.

That's it boys! Was fun, not overly fun, but fun anyway, I had my fix until the rookie camp.