HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jason Krog to the Canucks

Old
07-12-2008, 02:00 AM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Ok. I'll take my hopeful stab at it. Gillis is really gunning for the Sundin signing (O RLY??) and maybe he has a trade lined up that will move Bieksa + Pyatt + Pettinger or something like that for a top top winger (Kovalchuk anyone?). That would explain his signing of Krog and the defenseman the other day.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:08 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Ok. I'll take my hopeful stab at it. Gillis is really gunning for the Sundin signing (O RLY??) and maybe he has a trade lined up that will move Bieksa + Pyatt + Pettinger or something like that for a top top winger (Kovalchuk anyone?). That would explain his signing of Krog and the defenseman the other day.
Can't afford Kovalchuk if we sign Sundin, would be da sex though

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 03:01 AM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post

Kovalchuk isn't going anywhere unless the Sedins were going the other way. When Nonis was trying to hammer out a trade, a lot of teams would inquire about Kesler as being the main piece so quite possibly Kesler could be shipped to bring an elusive winger for the Sedin line.

Kraijeck+Kesler+Pyatt for ?????

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:07 AM
orcatown

Way I see the signing is that the Canucks are not sure Raymond is all that ready. Krog is, at this point, probably equal to Raymond offensively and he is better defensively. Some people have Raymond on the team but I'm not sure the Canucks are sold. Guy is very flashy but still has trouble moving the puck quickly enough and is still learning the pro game. Also I'm not sure the knee is 100 %

Also, Raymond has the two way and thus could be pulled back and forth from the minors more easily. He thus becomes the depth player and gets big minutes and first line and power play time in Manitoba.

Moreover, Krog might get less than Raymond (about .880) so you might save a little on the cap.

Also says something about the Canucks trust in Wellwood.

Second line (sans Sundin) might go Krog - Demitra - Pyatt. Not ideal but at least everyone is an experienced player. If (hopefully) Sundin does shows up line of Krog - Sundin - Demitra could provide lots of offense.

See the #2 wing spot being a battle between Krog, Raymond and Wellwood. If Krog loses out he heads for Europe, Canucks suspend him and the salary doesn't (I don't think) count. If Wellwood loses out, Canucks pay pay him in the minors or maybe lose him on waivers. Might be that if Wellwood, is still troubled by the groin he could go the IR list. If Raymond loses out he simply gets assigned to the Moose.

I think the bottom two line go as follows

Burrows - Kesler -Pyatt/Hansen/Pettinger

Hordichuk - Johnson - Brown/Rypien

Whatever happens here, there is going to have to be some cap juggling if Sundin comes to the Canucks. But that might be mitigated by Krog making the team and the Canucks shedding Raymond (to the minors) and Wellwood.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Askel

Personally I think he is Wellwood insurance. If Sundin comes here Wellwood is probably not going to make the team and they are not gonna have a 1 million guy in the pressbox (especially since hes got a 2 way contract). With Krog in the pressbox instead we save 4-500k in caspace.

If Sundin doesent come here at least Krog givis Wellwood and Demitra competionfor the no2 Centerspot.

Not a bad signing just wish it was 2 way . Krog on the Moose would make them Caldercup Favorites.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:34 AM
secrto

NO Proof Concerning Krog

Come on, the only proof I have seen with signing Krog is his name is on a roster on NHL.com

I am sorry there are pages and pages here and on CDC but TSN, SPORTSNET have zero information on him signing, where is the Proof?

Or maybe I'm blind

My thoughts!

secrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:07 AM
zepps

NHL.com is reliable. That's how we found about Isbister last year. The Canucks didn't announce that signing right away either.

zepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
rye&ginger

Someones on holidays that has to rubber stamp this or put our a press release?

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:14 AM
west in the east

Sportsnet Connected said that it will likely be announced next week.

west in the east is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
MoneyForOil

I like the pick up.....

MoneyForOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Peter Griffin

Gillis has certainly addressed one big issue from last season, face-offs. The Canucks were one of the worst teams in the NHL last season in that department and with the additions of Johnson(55%), Wellwood(55%) and now Krog(55%) he has addressed that issue. If Sundin also signs there's another 55%+ guy on the team.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I really do not get the impression Krog was brought in as a top six option, he's 32 years old, and never had offensive success at the NHL level. I just can't see Gillis thinking for a second the guy is anything but a bottom six forward. Krog does bring another great face-off presence, defensive responsibility, and speed to the checking lines though.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I really do not get the impression Krog was brought in as a top six option, he's 32 years old, and never had offensive success at the NHL level. I just can't see Gillis thinking for a second the guy is anything but a bottom six forward. Krog does bring another great face-off presence, defensive responsibility, and speed to the checking lines though.
One of the knocks on Krog has always been his skating, definitely not a fast player.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

he can rack up all the points in the world in the AHL....but it comes down to...58 points in 198 NHL games....

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotang View Post
One of the knocks on Krog has always been his skating, definitely not a fast player.
i was thought of him as a good skater, back when he was with Anaheim, he definitely wasn't a poor skater.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

I don't think us signing a super cheap fringe NHL player means we are out of the running for Sundin guys...

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Steveorama

I'm wondering if the NHL is rejecting the contract. That might explain the delay in announcing the signing...
Krog signed in Russia for the coming season back in May...given the new agreement between the NHL and the Russian League, I would not be at all surprised if the NHL refused to let Krog come to Vancouver.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
i was thought of him as a good skater, back when he was with Anaheim, he definitely wasn't a poor skater.
I'd agree. He's no speed-racer, but he's not a slow player by any means

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:30 PM
endlessdream83

Consider: much like Isbister last year, it could be that Krog was offered a one-way deal, BUT with less money on the table to save cap room/salary. All it means is he's practically guaranteed to be the 13th forward, but no more, just like Isbister was. If Gillis is really thinking Krog lets him get rid of Kesler/Johnson/Pyatt/etc, I'd say he's out of his tree!

Oh, and Krog's NHL point totals aren't too horrible... a point every 3.5 games or so? Lots of 'established' NHL forwards have a lower average than that.

endlessdream83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Ernie

I'd much rather have him than Brunnstrom.

112 points in the AHL, vs 37 points in the SEL.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:50 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I'd much rather have him than Brunnstrom.
Ya, and 32 vs. 23.. they're at totally different stages of their careers, and being signed for totally different reasons.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
I don't think us signing a super cheap fringe NHL player means we are out of the running for Sundin guys...
No, but it does mean that much less of a chance for Guys like Grabner, Raymond and Hansen to develop.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:37 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
No, but it does mean that much less of a chance for Guys like Grabner, Raymond and Hansen to develop.
Or, it means they have a ****ing all-star to play with in Manitoba..?

Raymond-Krog-Grabner

That line tears up the AHL. Hell, that'd pass a 2nd unit NHL PP quite easily.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Philoushka

Squire announced it on Global news tonight. That doesn't mean much in the way of being official.

Philoushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Or, it means they have a ****ing all-star to play with in Manitoba..?

Raymond-Krog-Grabner

That line tears up the AHL. Hell, that'd pass a 2nd unit NHL PP quite easily.
I was going on the assumption that Krog's deal would be one-way, as others here have speculated, but you're right, it'd be an amazing AHL line.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote