HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timmins - Pacioretty is "head and shoulders" above his peers

Old
07-12-2008, 01:17 PM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
He was drafted as a RW, and now with Tanguay here, and Ryder gone, I'd be more than surprised if he didn't switch over to the right side which is his natural position...
Plekanec drafted a winger
Higgins drafted a center
Markov drafted a center

etc

Guillaume Latendresse is a LW in the NHL, he cannot play on the RW because hes not fast enough to take enough shots from that wing.(Now, dont get me wrong, he might play 10-15 games there because of injuries) Luc Robitaille is a good example of slow LW that scored goals because he didnt have to out speed players to get in a shooting position.

Andrei Kostitsyn is far more likely to switch wings.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I don't know how it works but obviously they wont say anything that would put pressure on him in the media. But I would think the team is allowed to offer him a contract?
I honestly thought that they couldn't. He has to declare that he is leaving school and then they can offer him a contract.

Like I said, I could be confusing something so someone who understands this process better should clarify.

To the poster above - Markov was a center but I thought he was drafted after he switched to the blue-line?

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
In fact, I'll go as far as to say he might be NHL ready, and Guillaume Latendresse might be the immediate victim. The thing is, they might not give Max the opportunity to outclass Guillaume. Lats is still a great asset and playing with Guillaume's moral(sending him to the AHL) could be incredibly counter productive when we could have both playing in the same team for years to come. What we have here is our version of Ryan Getzlaf.
Guillaime has played too many NHL games to go to the AHL... .He would have to go on waivers first.... he'd never clear.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:24 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
Awesome idea! I just created one called "The Max Pacioretty Fan Club", come and join up everybody!!!
thanks here the link to the group to anyone wanna join

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20088318357

already put some article in the item box

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:24 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Higgins drafted a center
Markov drafted a center

etc

Guillaume Latendresse is a LW in the NHL, he cannot play on the RW because hes not fast enough to take enough shots from that wing.(Now, dont get me wrong, he might play 10-15 games there because of injuries) Luc Robitaille is a good example of slow LW that scored goals because he didnt have to out speed players to get in a shooting position.

I would make Lats a RW simply because it's going to force him to hustle more and work on his skating. I find that if you're a slow player, playing LW will eventually lead to bad habits (trailing, always looking for the onetimer, always last to enter zone, etc...)

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:27 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Guillaime has played too many NHL games to go to the AHL... .He would have to go on waivers first.... he'd never clear.
not true i believe....you can go to the ahl without having to go trough waiver after your entry level contract is over

exemple: Latendresse can go to ahl without waiver
Chipchura can go to ahl without waiver
Halak can't go to ahl without waiver

maybe im totally off based here....can someone confirm this???

Old
07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Your right I forgot, this might make Gui a tradeable asset, but a lot of it will depend on Lats next year, I'm quite sure hes feeling the pressure right now, he certainly knows what is going on. Tanguay's addition only makes it more likely to happen.(Or not if Alex is just passing for 1 year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I would make Lats a RW simply because it's going to force him to hustle more and work on his skating. I find that if you're a slow player, playing LW will eventually lead to bad habits (trailing, always looking for the onetimer, always last to enter zone, etc...)
You might be right, personally Ive lost a bit of faith in Lats capacity at improving his speed/skating, he doesn't seem the motivational stallion he would need to be to make it happen.(Hes improving, but maybe not at the rate he should be to remain competitive.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
not true i believe....you can go to the ahl without having to go trough waiver after your entry level contract is over

I believe Beeker is right, after X number of NHL games, no matter your contract status, you become waiver material.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-12-2008 at 01:39 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

Theif has brought up the rule before..... Gui went over with his playoff games this year.

Old
07-12-2008, 01:40 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Higgins drafted a center
Markov drafted a center

etc

I think Lats is a much better fit on the right side. His size and strength plus his hands and outstanding release could see him score 30 as a RW playing with a quality centerman. Lats is so underated on this board as a young player it's unreal...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:42 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
I believe Beeker is right, after X number of NHL games, no matter your contract status, you become waiver material.
Lats has played 153 NHL games, making him eligable to be sent down this fall if management wanted to do so. He wouldn't have to clear waivers because he hasn't hit that magic number of 160 pro games into his 3rd year of his entry level contract.

I do not believe playoff games count.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Lats has played 153 NHL games, making him eligable to be sent down this fall if management wanted to do so. He wouldn't have to clear waivers because he hasn't hit that magic number of 160 pro games into his 3rd year of his entry level contract.
I believe his playoff games count..... 8 of them bring him to 161.

We need clarification on if they count playoffs or not with respect to this rule.

Regardless, I don't expect Gui to start the season in the AHL... it won't be long before he gets in those 7 games.

He scored 16 goals two years in a row... I cant see him not being on the team at the start of the year, even if he struggles a little in camp.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-12-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old
07-12-2008, 01:55 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Theif has brought up the rule before..... Gui went over with his playoff games this year.
ah...ok thanks for the

Old
07-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
I've read a lot of reports saying that he could play in the NHL right now. Realistically probably 09-10 Season.

Has anyone heard what their plans are for him this coming season? Does he go back to U.S.? or maybe Junior?
They said he is going back to Michigan at least gfor another year. If he has a dominant year, I can see signing him next summer or after his season is done.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Latendresse-Chipchura-Pacioretty

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Latendresse-Chipchura-Pacioretty
Big line, but only one really has speed and uses his size.....

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:21 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Last night I actually worked out what I thought could be the habs lines in the future. Came up with:

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Pacioretty-Maxwell-Latendresse
Higgins-Chipchura-Kristo
Conboy-White-Lapierre

Old
07-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Pretty sure Max Pac can play RW, in X-SHARKIE's draft guide for the '07 draft he's listed as ''RW Max Pacioretty'' several times so must have played it in the USHL.

http://www.sharkspage.com/2007_nhl_draftpreview.html

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It would not be smart for the Habs to push Pacioretty, let him have a dominant year in NCAA, if he seems to have nothing left to prove there, start him AHL the following year. If Detroit proves anything it's that you're better off being patient with prospects especially with a salary cap.

It would be very dumb for the Habs to give Pacioretty a spot ahead of Lats before even giving Lats a real shot. he's scored a lot of goals the last 2 years playing mostly with 3rd and 4th liners, nobody deserves a chance with better players more than him.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:40 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It would not be smart for the Habs to push Pacioretty, let him have a dominant year in NCAA, if he seems to have nothing left to prove there, start him AHL the following year. If Detroit proves anything it's that you're better off being patient with prospects especially with a salary cap.

It would be very dumb for the Habs to give Pacioretty a spot ahead of Lats before even giving Lats a real shot. he's scored a lot of goals the last 2 years playing mostly with 3rd and 4th liners, nobody deserves a chance with better players more than him.
Most are talking about sending him to the AHL...not the NHL. If he's ready for the AHL it would be far from dumb to send him there. Then next season if he keeps progressing the same way he'll be ready for the NHL. I think at this point it would be good for him to play alot of hockey games.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Clumsyhab

Any idea what number he will wear in Montreal? I want his jersey right now

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Any idea what number he will wear in Montreal? I want his jersey right now
He has 39 at Michigan....39 is now available with Huet gone....

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Should a "head and shoulder over his peers" be confronted to better in order to improve?

Honestly, I really don't think he'll improve in Michigan more than he can do in Hamilton. Anyboyd knows his centerman and winger now that Kolarik and Porter are gone? Rust or Caporusso at the center position with Palushaj on the wing? Might be good but will never be as good. Will Pacioretty have to slow down to get those guys going?

MaxPac was an important piece of the puzzle of 2 guys who immediately after their season went and played for San Antonio in the playoffs. Kolarik ended up having 4 goals and 2 assists in 7 games while Porter had 4 assists in 7 games.....MaxPac is already at the AHL level....How important is being somewhat alone in your College team and learn to be THE leader compared to take some valuable experience in a higher league, especially since you can play in there already.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 03:46 PM
DieHardHabs

get max in the lineup... and get rid of the useless lats

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 04:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
He can't go junior, right now he's headed for a second year at Michigan.
Pac could go to junior if he wanted to, as an overager which of course would be very unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Someone with a better understanding of the situation should probably clarify but, because Pacioretty is still in school isn't there 'rules' regarding the process of how he turns pro? That is, I thought it had to be 100% his decision and that the team cannot interfere in the decision - I'm sure it happens in private - but openly admitting that a player should leave school to turn pro would be looked down upon wouldn't it?

Gainey and Timmins could be providing the 'correct' answer to the media but who knows what they are actually saying to Max.

Who knows.
Yes there are rules. NCAA doesn't allow players to have agents, but they can have "advisors" Teams can speak to their advisors on signing a contract so it's a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Should a "head and shoulder over his peers" be confronted to better in order to improve?

Honestly, I really don't think he'll improve in Michigan more than he can do in Hamilton. Anyboyd knows his centerman and winger now that Kolarik and Porter are gone? Rust or Caporusso at the center position with Palushaj on the wing? Might be good but will never be as good. Will Pacioretty have to slow down to get those guys going....
I would guess he'll be on a line with Rust and Palushaj. Michigan seems unlikely that they will be able to have the kind of success they had last year, as the top rated team in the NCAA but they still should be good as Michigan St should be a young team, Notre Dame should be good, Miamai should be good but I dont know if they will be able to repeat their success as the #2 team, losing their goalie and top player in Jones.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 04:57 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Michigan and Michigan state are two different schools...