HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Benefits of some Light Cardio before a game?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2008, 01:35 AM
  #1
FLYLine27
BUCH
 
FLYLine27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 40,518
vCash: 500
Benefits of some Light Cardio before a game?

I should know this..but I never picked it up i guess..


What are the benefits of riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes before game? I know some NHL players do it and someone said something about that tonight in my locker room.

If I had to guess I would say it helps gets the blood flowing throughout the body, benefit would be you feel like you have some more energy during the game. But that's a shot in the dark.

If anyone could help that would be great. Also, how much light cardio should you do? What type? How Long? And how long before game is ideal? Sorry for the loaded question.


Thanks in advance.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:39 AM
  #2
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Isn't this the same as like going for a quick run like some players do?
I look at it as doing warm up to be honest

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:07 AM
  #3
starsfan4ever
Registered User
 
starsfan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Isn't this the same as like going for a quick run like some players do?
I look at it as doing warm up to be honest
Stretch out, get your lungs ready, won't take your heart time to adjust to game speed I guess...

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 06:50 AM
  #4
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Riding the bike allows your muscles to warm up at a more controlled pace, decreasing the possibility of a muscle pull or strain not only during warmups, but once you go at full speed during your game.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
  #5
Cappy76
Registered User
 
Cappy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, Kentucky
Country: United States
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
It'll also help stretch you out and get you loose. on top of everything everyone above me has mentioned.

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:35 PM
  #6
XweekendwarriorX
Registered User
 
XweekendwarriorX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buffalo,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
i light jog around the rink 2 or 3 times will be fine than after that stretch out the legs really good than just do the back and get dressed and warm up on the ice you should be fine.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:49 AM
  #7
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 7,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I try to go to the gym for an hour before I play. Usual 7 minute warm up on the bike and then lift weights. Avoid fatiguing and usually staw away from my legs. When I get to the rink I feel strong, that nice adreanaline rush and ready to play hockey. Plus my guns look awesome in the dri fit.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:28 PM
  #8
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I try to go to the gym for an hour before I play. Usual 7 minute warm up on the bike and then lift weights. Avoid fatiguing and usually staw away from my legs. When I get to the rink I feel strong, that nice adreanaline rush and ready to play hockey. Plus my guns look awesome in the dri fit.
for an hour??? that seems like a bit much, maybe like 10 minutes, to get the blood flowing through your muscles, and if you think your guns look awesome, its probably because they are swollen, then they will be weaker because the muscle has been broken down(reason for swelling)

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
  #9
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
for an hour??? that seems like a bit much, maybe like 10 minutes, to get the blood flowing through your muscles, and if you think your guns look awesome, its probably because they are swollen, then they will be weaker because the muscle has been broken down(reason for swelling)
It's way too much for a warm up.




HALF an hour MAX for a warm up, anything after that you're just wasting energy I don't care what you say how good of shape you're in, you are wasting energy before hockey by going to the gym for an hour.
In fact I don't even know why you'd have a full workout for hockey it does nothing for you.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:57 AM
  #10
91
Registered User
 
91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the ghetto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I try to go to the gym for an hour before I play. Usual 7 minute warm up on the bike and then lift weights. Avoid fatiguing and usually staw away from my legs. When I get to the rink I feel strong, that nice adreanaline rush and ready to play hockey. Plus my guns look awesome in the dri fit.
You shouldn't be working out on game days..

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:48 PM
  #11
igotnothing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I try to go to the gym for an hour before I play. Usual 7 minute warm up on the bike and then lift weights. Avoid fatiguing and usually staw away from my legs. When I get to the rink I feel strong, that nice adreanaline rush and ready to play hockey. Plus my guns look awesome in the dri fit.
I'm with Tikkanen on this one. A workout before a game gets me ready and makes me feel like I came to play. Sometimes you don't realize how much you need to push and shove and battle for positioning. (For me, its mostly pushing myself off the floor.) A workout gets you ready for that. As long as you're not trying to break your 1 rep max you should be ok.

igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
  #12
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotnothing View Post
I'm with Tikkanen on this one. A workout before a game gets me ready and makes me feel like I came to play. Sometimes you don't realize how much you need to push and shove and battle for positioning. (For me, its mostly pushing myself off the floor.) A workout gets you ready for that. As long as you're not trying to break your 1 rep max you should be ok.
You realize it actually does nothing for you right? You may THINK it makes you feel ready, its a mental thing you believe it's doing something for you but in reality it actually doesn't.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
  #13
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 7,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
You realize it actually does nothing for you right? You may THINK it makes you feel ready, its a mental thing you believe it's doing something for you but in reality it actually doesn't.
I work out to build muscle and feel better. Are you saying working out does nothing for you or working out before a game does nothing for you? And show me some scientific evidence to back up your claims. TIA. I'm 35 years old, have been playing hockey for 15 years. I do what I do because it works for me. And I would never be so ignorant to tell people what I do will work for EVERYBODY, which is why I posted what I do. It's not a warm up, it's a workout before a game. I'm barely sweating, 2 reps max, do whatever I feel like, do not use body building training method. I actually base my routine on a book I bought that was written by a PHD who trains guys who train NHL players. So I guess this guy dean must have a similar background since he knows more. I also work during the day, a physical job, should I quit?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.