HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Hadley's Latest...

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2004, 09:05 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Hadley's Latest...

Quote:
HadleyOnSports.com
DOUBLE D IN DETROIT: The most annoying rumor of the offseason has Dallas Drake headed back to the Motor City if the Blues fail to reach agreement with him before July 1.

Drake is one of the few players that raised his game last season; the loss of Drake would be a tough blow. Considering that Scott Mellanby is likely to retire and the Mike Danton situation, the loss of Drake would be amplified as the Blues "team toughness" takes a precipitous drop.

BETWEEN THE PIPES: According to my sources, it's unlikely the St. Louis Blues will pickup the option on Chris Osgood.

Keep in mind; this is a two-year option, meaning if the Blues exercise the option, they're committed to Osgood for two years.

My sources indicate that if the Blues had to make a decision today... they would not bring Osgood back into the fold.

The question is do the Blues look outside the organization for a replacement.

While Reinhard Divis is the most seasoned netminder, the question is stability.

Many in the organization view Curtis Sanford as the best long-term option however his penchant for injury is worrisome.

My sources with the Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks indicated they would be interest in Osgood.

FREE AGENTS: With Craig Conroy likely to remain in Calgary, and Brendan Shanahan likely to re-up in Detroit (based sources in the Motor City) don't expect the Blues to be too active in three-plus weeks.

Once the free agent market opens in July, the Blues will attempt to lure Brett Hull home with an eye for bargains (another winger and serviceable veteran defenseman).

Sources indicate that any major moves aside from Hull will come via trade.

As mentioned previously, the payroll will be reduced roughly 20 to 25 percent. While many forecast gloom and doom based on payroll, keep in mind, that with Jeff Finley, Murray Baron, Al MacInnis, and Scott Mellanby (unlikely to return) off the books, the payroll is reduced nearly 20 percent.

If the Blues ink Brett Hull and walk away from Pavol Demitra, another $3-plus million is saved. Simply stated, the 'Note can make the cuts and manipulate saving to remain competitive, the end of the world isn't near, however a new world that might not include Osgood, Demitra and maybe Doug Weight is about to dawn.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:51 AM
guitaraholic*

there is no reason at all why I should believe anything Hadley "reports" at this point as he's proven himself to be completely full of it, but I appreciate you posting his junk nonetheless. Something to read, even if it's completely worthless.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:57 AM
degroat*

Things John Hadley reported before anyone else:
Lindros' Physical
Tkachuk trade
Weight trade
Barrasso Signing
Rucinsky Signing
Hereema claim off waivers

Old
06-08-2004, 10:18 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
Lindros' Physical
Tkachuk trade
Weight trade
Barrasso Signing
Rucinsky Signing
Hadley does report SOLID news quicker than anyone, but when it comes to trade rumors and such he is a very unreliable source. His history suggests that he cannot be trusted when it comes to trade rumors. He has a very low accuracy rate in this area. That doesn't mean it isn't fun to talk about his rumors, just don't put too much(if any) stock in them. More often than not he is wrong when it comes to these rumors.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:26 AM
degroat*

There is no such thing as a trade rumor reporter with a high accuracy rate because rumors are just that, rumors. As far as we know, 98% of the rumors he reports could be true but just because two teams are talking or because a certain team wants a certain player, that doesn't mean it's going to go through.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:46 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
There is no such thing as a trade rumor reporter with a high accuracy rate because rumors are just that, rumors. As far as we know, 98% of the rumors he reports could be true but just because two teams are talking or because a certain team wants a certain player, that doesn't mean it's going to go through.
But that's the thing, when Hadley reports a rumor he guarantees that it will happen. Also, a lot of his rumors get shot down by opposing team's GM's when asked about. Like I said his rumors are fun to talk about, but don't put much stock in them. More often than not he is wrong.

As for this set of rumors, it is pretty much what everyone already knew. The Blues are going to try to add Hull and will try to keep Drake. Danton and Mellanby are probably gone and Demitra and Osgood are on the bubble. In addition to Hull we would like to add 1 more winger and 1 more D to what we currently have. Nothing new really.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:47 AM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Lindros' Physical
Tkachuk trade
Weight trade
Barrasso Signing
Rucinsky Signing
Gee, then I can understand your affection for him....

Old
06-08-2004, 12:40 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Lindros' Physical
Tkachuk trade
Weight trade
Barrasso Signing
Rucinsky Signing
Don't forget "Sean Burke a Blue within a week."

I believe that's the way Kimzey was referring that Hadley expresses his rumors.

Old
06-08-2004, 01:33 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
Don't forget "Sean Burke a Blue within a week."
First of all... it was 48 hours.
Secondly, he didn't guarantee it.
Third... the rumors were confirmed by Goold and Goold even gave credit to Hadley for breaking it.
Fourth... a trade was completed and then pulled of the table by The (not so) Great One

Old
06-08-2004, 01:48 PM
c-carp

I would love it if Hull came back, but we also need to get Drake signed, he means an aweful lot to this team and his loss if he leaves combnined with Mellanby's likely retirement would take a lot of the grit away from this team just as stated in the article. We need to ink them both.

Also if Osgood leaves and I have no problem with that we are going to need another veteran golatender.

Old
06-09-2004, 08:43 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I would love it if Hull came back, but we also need to get Drake signed, he means an aweful lot to this team and his loss if he leaves combnined with Mellanby's likely retirement would take a lot of the grit away from this team just as stated in the article. We need to ink them both.

Also if Osgood leaves and I have no problem with that we are going to need another veteran golatender.
Drake we need to get back, Mellanby we can do without. Mellanby may have a lot of heart, but the skill and ability just aren't there anymore. There also isn't really a spot on the team for him anymore. He didn't click with Weight so he can't be relied on to play a second line role, and the other three lines are filled(assuming we get Drake locked up). As a lot of poeple like to say, we have too much grit on this team. It's time to turn one of our grit players into a finesse player(Mellanby is gone, Hull is in).

Closed Thread