HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official prospect camp thread

Old
07-12-2008, 05:05 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why is Habs inside-out talking about a 3-on-3 scrimmage?
because it was posted at 8h12 this morning.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Why is Habs inside-out talking about a 3-on-3 scrimmage?
yesterday ?

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:38 PM
kostitsyn1489

So here's my super report!

Will go by alphabetical order

Boisvert, didnt notice him.

Carle, looked great early on, his slapshot was the most accurate by far when like 80% of the net was hidden. Love the way he handles the puck, not too fancy at the blue line, but he gets the puck where it has to be. Cant wait to see him at the camp cause he isnt that far away from being NHL ready. I would start him in Hamilton tho for at least 20-25 games and expect him to dominate from the blue line.

Conboy, Always smilling, working hard always shooting puck even when they were only skating, he really looks like he likes the game. Liked him again today, got a good shot, his puck skills are better then what you would expect a future "enforcer" to be at 19yo. He'ss big, but he's got potential to play hockey as well.

Desharnais, This guy got some crazy skills. Amazing with the puck like the way he skates. Will be a really good player in Hamilton next season, sucks he might never be more then a dominant AHL guy.

David Fischer, his slapshot really is average, but his release isnt bad, it's quick. Once he can puts it on net which he will soon enough he'll be a threat at the blue line. Not the hardest shot, but he plays pretty well at the blue line. He's got more offensive skills and peoople credit him for. In breakaways he was amazing. A 6'5 d-man that can pull this move and skates like he does you cant say he's got no upside or will never do anything good.

Fortier, didnt see him too much, he skates pretty well with the puck, but didnt wow me with his hand nor his shot.

Patrick Johnson. He reminds me of Fortier, seriously as of right now Fortier isnt that far aheadd of him. Both are good skater and Johnson might even have a better wrsiter then Fortier. Liked him this week, not sure he's got the upside, but I love the way he plays.

Kishel, didnt see him Monday, didnt do anything Friday and today, was he even there? Can skate, congrats, now try to shoot the puck!!!

Kristo, not his day cause he's got an average slapper, but in breakaways and stuff he was pretty good. Pulled some nice move. He didnt wow me today cause it wasnt the drills he is effective at, but overall this week i liked him alot. Good pick and he could be in Hamilton in maybe 2 years. Will be in Ottawa for the WJC as well. IMO.

Maxwell, not the hardest slapshot, but got some accuracy in it, tried lots of snapshot and was pretty effective at it, handled the puck pretty well too. He's ready to take the next step and play a good role in Hamilton.

McDonagh, got a good shot, like i said yesterday he'll put it on net from the points which is the key. Will have to put more weight on it to be a threat tho. Got some good puck skills as well, he isnt simply a defensive D he can move the puck.

Monahan, look at Kishel...

Paccioretty, not his best day, unlike usual he didnt wow me much today. Still you can see he's the best guy out there. When you see lots from a guy you expect more from him and he didnt deliver "more" today. Some good shots, but not as much as yesterday and monday where he clearly was at another level.

Peteryn, i saw his slapshot more then yesterday and love it. He can shoot with the best. He isnt a normal 5th rounder seriously. He isnt the guy that you say, you can see some upside, but consistency is an issue and well im not sure he'll put it all together, he's a long shot and all. This guy got it all. He looks like McDonagh physically. Got some sick wrist and slap shot. Handles the puck very well. I see a better skating Micheal Stone in him and he was ranked about 40 his season and i had him even higher. Love this guy, going with a big prediction here. I think he has NHL potential. Not just potential, but he isnt that far away from being able to turn pro. Got good size, love his puck skills and is skating isnt bad. He skates pretty well. Sure he needs to be a bit more fluid overall, but he's got what it takes to play in NHL. Just have to work hard and he'll get there.

Quailer, hated his shot on Monday, noticed he was much better on Friday and thinks he's got one really good shot today. Pretty fast for a big guy, not too fluid, but he got drafted 2 weeks ago so lots of time to work on his agility and I think he'll be a pretty good player down the road.

Russell, again like his shot and the way he handles the puck. I think he'll be a good player in Hamilton next season, hopefully Maxwell and him will be able to get back to where they were in Kootenay.

Stejskal, didnt like his shot that much early this week, but he ripped some good one today. Still unsure about him, but he proved me he could shoot the puck.

Subban, he's been Subban really. Good at everything, but what i didnt like is that every time he had to do basic plays he was always trying to pull move he wouldnt in game. I dont want to see him act like a clown i want to see if he can be effective. Been great, but I'd like him to work on basics rather then go fancy all the time in practice. What he has to work on his basic, not physical skills. He gotta become a better hockey player, not a better skater. Physical tool are ready, he needs to get there as a hockey player.

Testwuide didnt see him much, but got some skills, not sure which one of the 2 was missing today.

Torp, really good slapshot. Cant wait to see him coming over in NA. He's a really good puck mover, didnt see his defensive play too much this week, but offensively he's at the same level as any offensive guys in the team are.

Trotter, like this guy. Good pick-up, got some really good offensive skills. Showed me more then a guy like Fortier this week. He'ss still really young, will be a good one in Hamilton next year and if he can put everything together i wouldnt be surprise if he ends up in the NHL someday.

White, Best Player Today, Period. He was all smile all the team and with reason to do sol he was shooting like crazy. The best shot among all players today, started good when the next was covered with some really good shot and one timer in the hoiles then with goalie there they looked like Junior A goalie against him. Most of the time they didnt even have time to react ahd the puck was in the back of the net. His one timer is simply crazy and he got some really good accuracy in it. He was drafted as a bottom 2 lines guy, but he's got PP potential and could play on the 2nd line in the NHL. Got one really sick slapshot and if he can work on his skating overall he'll be a really solid guy in the NHL.

Wyman, i didnt notice him as much today, but when i did he pulled some good shot. Much more effective with his wrist shot tho and i dont recall him scoring all that puck in breakaways. overall this week he was a really good one. Hamilton look sick next year and he'll be a really important guy on that team.

So well that's about it for the week. Been really nice and I'm looking forward to the rookie camp! Will be amazing as well. Thanks for all the good word this week, i had probably more fun going there and writting those report then you guys had at reading them. It was great all week, the players are all really nice from what i saw.

Habs got some sick future especially on defense. Cant wait for the rookie camp to start, I'll try to get there for a few days as well

Enjoy,

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:45 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Do you guys think we'll sign Robert Mayer?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

I don't mind giving him a contract, he seems good for the ECHL unlike Lacasse.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
I think I would...he was ranked fairly high early on and with most goalies, they can develop with good coaching. This is his 1st year over here and went thru alot of adjustments.He can only feel more comfy and get better next year.

Habs need to restock the cupboard so ya I would sign him.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
I think I would...he was ranked fairly high early on and with most goalies, they can develop with good coaching. This is his 1st year over here and went thru alot of adjustments.He can only feel more comfy and get better next year.

Habs need to restock the cupboard so ya I would sign him.
Can't sign him, can we? As an 18 year old, doesn't he have to go back into the draft next year? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:09 PM
znk

An other good report. thx.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

is the camp over or their still some action in candiac sunday???

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
couris

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ksFJuy-nvPs

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
what does this have to do with the havs prospect camp??

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:41 PM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
what does this have to do with the havs prospect camp??

I tought the little man was a good prospect.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
I tought the little man was a good prospect.
do you know the difference between hockey and soccer?

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
You're sure you want my opinion???

Honestly while he had some ups and downs today, if I had to compare him to last year's invitee Loverock, I think I liked him just a little bit more. There's some technical aspects that he seems to already have. Looks solid on his feet and doesn't move his whole body when he does some lateral movement. But he let go some really bad goals today. Just showed me the inconsistency I didn't want us to spend a draft pick on. Having said that, I'm pretty sure he didn't deserve to not be chosen. He's not that bad. So I'm on the fence as far as he's concerned. I might be tempted to let him go for another year and see if he deserves being picked in the later rounds next draft or if he's still not being picked, to give him another try.

So I'm not sure we should sign him, so type of decision that if we do sign him, I'll understand 'cause Melanson would have seen obviously some things that can be worked on and if we don't, it's understandable 'cause he didn't wow anybody.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:27 PM
CritZ

Great analysis kostitsyn, way to go.

CritZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Is Torp coming to NA this year? Or is he staying in Sweden? Hopefully he can stay healthy this year because I think he could be another late round steal.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:41 PM
buddahsmoka1

I'm really excited to see what White can do in Hamilton. I've watched him about 15 times these last couple of years and he has become one of my favourite prospects. I have always been a little fustrated how people have just pegged him as a 3rd or 4th line guy, he has offensive potential. He can set up players well, plays smart and can put the puck in the net. I think he will continue to suprise people this year for the Bulldogs. I also like the influx of young talent being injected into Hamilton this year. It will be interesting to see how the team does in terms of wins. Wyman, Weber, White, Maxwell, Trottier, Desjardins and Desharnais will all be big parts of the Bulldogs' success this year. Hopefully they can grow as a team and develop chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Is Torp coming to NA this year? Or is he staying in Sweden? Hopefully he can stay healthy this year because I think he could be another late round steal.
I have a real good feeling about this kid, he seems to have a impressive package. I have only seen some clips and read opinions on him, but for some reasonhe really intrigues me.

buddahsmoka1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Prospector

With all the good comments on Ryan White, we might have found our new right handed shooter for our PP :p ... He could replace Ryder and he could probably do better than Bryan "emotionless" Smolinski ... White's one-timer could be a very good asset on the power play, particularly on 5-on-3 ...

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:05 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I'm really excited to see what White can do in Hamilton. I've watched him about 15 times these last couple of years and he has become one of my favourite prospects. I have always been a little fustrated how people have just pegged him as a 3rd or 4th line guy, he has offensive potential. He can set up players well, plays smart and can put the puck in the net. I think he will continue to suprise people this year for the Bulldogs.
And all this time I thought it was only me who said don't under rate Whitey's offensive skills.....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:26 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
And all this time I thought it was only me who said don't under rate Whitey's offensive skills.....
It was mostly his skating that led to concerns.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:37 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Can't sign him, can we? As an 18 year old, doesn't he have to go back into the draft next year? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
No, you can sign players that go undrafted after the draft, you have until September or so to sign them, after that they can't be signed and go back into the next draft. So Mayer can be signed if the Habs want to, just as they did with Olivier Michaud who was signed after his camp after going undrafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Unlikely to see Torp in NA next season, he's under contract for another year with HV71, he wasn't selected in the CHL Euro Import Draft, so he likely expressed an interest in staying in Sweden. He could turn pro but at his age it would seem very unlikely since he missed all of last season. But it's been hard getting info on him and from what I understand he will not see much ice time with HV71 in the SEL as an early season guess (preseason is some 6 weeks away I believe) He will be in NA next month when Team Sweden takes on McDonagh and Kristo's Team USA at a U-20 tournament with Team Finland as well.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:54 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Geez, if they get half of Langway from any one of the prospect pool, they'll be way ahead of the game.
LOL And we even got less than half of langway to start with!

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:12 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I've been a fan of White since before he was drafted, and aside from you I think I like him more then most around here although I'm concerned about his skating/foot speed and mobility, I like the way he plays the game and if his skating concerns don't hamper him at the next level, then I really like his NHL chances down the road a few years. But I have to see how he does at the AHL first to get a better read on him.

For me it's been tough ranking him and Maxwell as I often rated White higher due to the fact that he plays a more nhl style, good on face-offs, good along the boards, not a big frame in height but compact and strong for his age, plays a solid physical game, makes nice passes but also has a good wrister and he is solid in his own end, plus he'll drop the gloves and block shots. But Maxwell has qualities that White doesn't, speed, excellent skating, and an impressive extra gear as he has good accelearation, his speed imo is deceptive in that his style of play looks like he's more laid back but then suddenly can burst up ice in a hurry. Would love to see White greatly improve in this area but that won't be easy and remains to be seen if possible.

Maxwell on the other hand doesn't have the grit and sandpaper that White has, but if he can be productive than he's going to be a quality player since he's smart and skilled. I find it very interesting to see how these two develop as we are low on quality forward prospects (not counting the '08's since I can't really speak to their level of play as yet) We hear all the hype on Pacioretty and imo it's well deserved, if fans are to get excited about any of our past prospects not named Price, Pacioretty should be among Timmins better picks at least in the early stages of his development, imo. But if the team can develop two more NHLers in Maxwell and White in say 3-4 years from now, then it's going to bode well for the club as they each will bring some interesting aspects.

The question will start with how effective they can be at the next level, how they improve upon their weaknesses, can White improve his skating/mobility and if not how badly will it impact his play/production, and will the injuries return for Maxwell, or the missed development time have a big impact on his progression. Clearly both have impressive skills and imo are among our top prospects, which is both good and bad, as on one hand it exposes a weakness in the organizational prospect pool that has a clear lack of quality forward prospects, which that may have already been addressed if this past draft's crop of forwards does indeed display good things, which given the recent drafting trend since the '03 draft, certainly looks good time will tell if thats the case or not. On the other hand, both have shown impressive things at the WHL level and hopefully will carry that over to the AHL as soon as next season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:17 AM
mcphee

Quote:
a lot of players plummet on draft days when scouts evaluate the player's individual skills separately rtaher than the whole player. My brother lives in Brandon, has seen a bit of him over the years and criticized his skating a few times.

I asked him if he watched him specifically because he was Habs' pick, and he said that , no, he was always in the midlle of the play. There's the answer. The kid sounds like a player, it's just a matter of seeing how it translates at higher levels.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:19 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And what I'm disputed is people who only based their opinoin on points prospects get in a Junior league compared to other leagues. I'm obviously not dissing what Weber since I kept repeating how impressed I was in his season and there was no way we could not be happy about what he did.

But in my opinion, improve Fischer's strength and confidence level as far as his offensive abilities are concerned, and you'll have a much better Pro prospect than Weber. Again, not even saying that Weber won't make it. But Fischer had tons of underrated abilities hidden 'cause of his glaring deficiencies.

And then I keep mentioning my Nigel Williams comparison. A guy that wasn't good enough for the NCAA who suddenly became an almost PPG d-man in the OHL.

There's more to a game than racking points. And I can assure you that the deficiencies that Fischer has in his offensive game, Weber could have then in his defensive one. Only difference is that Fischer has the pressure of being a 1st rounder. And should've demonstrated something more at this point. But it was also known that he was a raw project at that time. So before thinking of putting a guy like Weber ahead of him in the rankings, I would be more careful. That's all.
Hey no problem. However, I am not basing my opinion on Weber strictly on points.

In defense of Fischer, but contrary to your Williams analogy, I have read lots from players changing from NCAA to CHL hockey because some programs stifle them in numerous ways. You seem to have more respect for NCAA than CHL hockey. I look at it the opposite way. In any case a guy who can play in the OHL and score is clearly good enough to play NCAA somewhere. There must be other factors at play there. The OHL had a banner year at the NHL draft, particularly on defense!

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote