HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets Go Rangers national anthem chants at Non-Ranger games...

Old
07-13-2008, 10:58 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
I have a hard time believing this won't turn into a pissing match between two very different types of people, and I fear it's already started, and therefore serves no purpose as it's completely irrelevant to anything involving the New York Rangers.
yup i see it happening as well....lock this thread

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

I did the "lets go rangers" during the national anthem in atlanta when we played them in the playoffs. the crowd obviously took exception. but i honestly fail to see how screaming LGR automatically means that I hate my country or anything like that.

i love my country, in fact I'm employed by the US army. screaming LGR has nothing to do with that.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Dont F with the national anthem during these heavy times. I hate it at rangers games. Especially when you have family overseas at the moment, I take the whole ceremony seriously.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
Today I was at the Met game. I was sitting only a few rows off the field, so it was around a lot of stuck up jerks. Anyway, me and my Ranger fan friends had the great idea to scream Lets Go Rangers at the appropriate time during the anthem. We did, and people stared, got mad, looked confused. After the anthem, we had about 8 people say something to us, one about how her husband was wounded in Iraq, one how were a bunch of punks and we think we're so cool because we did it, one how baseball is a respectful game and hockey isn't and thats why they do it there, one told me not to go to a baseball game if I care about hockey (didn't get that one)

However, i've been to other events, non-hockey, and heard this chant. St. Johns games, Knicks games....ect.

I was proud to rep the Rangers, even if people got mad. They said I didn't respect America by doing it, my country, blah blah blah. No, I do not support the war in Iraq, but I didn't do it to "disrespect" anyone.

People take stuff wayyyyyy to seriously these days. Anyone else ever just spontaneously scream "LETS GO RANGERS"?
I was at the Mets game yesterday and I heard that! Let me just say hats off and it was awesome.

I dont think making noise at games during the song is a problem. In fact I like it. Some of my favorite Ranger game memories are of the crowd going wild during the anthem before big games. And I'm sure it gets the players ampled. I remember watching Gomez banging his stick on the ice and yelling to his teammates as the song wrapped up before the home playoff opener vs the Devils. What better way to respect/appreciate it than getting excited and pumped up by it?

I once yelled lets go Rangers during the anthem when I saw them play in Columbus. Got some dirty looks but whatever.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:11 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I think it's a silly thing to do. At the Rangers games it's one thing. It's a norm, tradition at MSG, it's expected and accepted. Going elsewhere is completely different. You might think it's cool or just funny, but others may not. I don't care if you act like an ass all night, but to some people the national anthem is very important to them. It's a symbol of our country and many people are very proud to be Americans. Some people do have family at war and others have a deep respect for those fighting overseas in a war that, whether you are for or against it, is happening and all of the soldiers deserve our support. Disrespecting the National Anthem, to many, is seen as disrespecting all of those who gave their lives in all of the wars the US has fought in and those who are risking their lives overseas to fight a war that because of them you don't have to be in the desert fighting.

"Never forget that we live in the land of the free because of the brave."

Last edited by WhipNash27: 07-13-2008 at 01:16 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:24 PM
xander

I have honestly never understood why we sing the national anthem (or anthems for hockey) before sporting events. I just don't see what is so nationalistic about a game played by professionals, many of whom are neither American or Canadian. I can understand it at the olympics or the world cup, but professional sports teams are overwhelmingly international.

Now I admit to being biased because I come from a college hockey fan base that does indeed shout out one word ritualistically during the anthem (we only shout RED! during rockets red glare, we don't change any words.) Still, these local traditions are actually far more relevant to the game at hand than the anthem itself.

But I still don't see the logic in going to a Met game and shouting lets go Rangers. In fact, it's quite illogical because many of the Met fans may not be Ranger fans. If someone started a Lets Go Yankees chant at MSG I would shout them down too, because I am a Mets fan and I don't want to hear Yankees chants while I'm trying to support my Rangers. Such a chant is just completely irrelevant to the sporting event going on in front of you.

So, while I don't necessarily have a problem with specific chants during the anthems, I would categorize this particular instance as pretty moronic.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
yup i see it happening as well....lock this thread
It's very possible that it will happen, but I see no reason to lock the thread before it does. This is a reasonably interesting discussion going on here, and so far everyone has kept it civil. If the thread becomes uncivil then it should be locked, but why stop a debate prematurely before anyone has committed an offense?

Old
07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
nyrmetros

I'd rather have 20, 000 people at a hockey game or 40, 000 people at a baseball game SING the national anthem loudly and proudly..... but whatever. I can't expect that from anyone but US Soccer fans I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUtSSGLR06E

Notice how much better it sounds when the anthem is sung by people instead of some stupid mickey mouse pop/rap singer.

Start a precedence and sing it at all major sporting events

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:36 PM
xander

I always sing, for the mere reason that singing is more fun than standing there doing nothing. Although playing the anthem at an international soccer game makes a hell of a lot more sense than at a baseball game played by Americans, Canadians, Puerto Ricans (yes, I know they're a commonwealth, but they certainly have a differant association with the state), Dominicans, Venezuelans, Mexicans, Koreans, Japanese, ect... or a Hockey game played between Canadians, Americans, Swedes, Czechs, Russians, Finns, Slovakians, Swiss, and anyone else that I'm missing.

Old
07-13-2008, 01:58 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
I did the "lets go rangers" during the national anthem in atlanta when we played them in the playoffs. the crowd obviously took exception. but i honestly fail to see how screaming LGR automatically means that I hate my country or anything like that.

i love my country, in fact I'm employed by the US army. screaming LGR has nothing to do with that.
Its ok that deep down you feel like that honestly but just show respect for others that feel different then you do

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:28 PM
hockeygoon15

you have the whole game to cheer and make an ass of yourself. all that is asked of you is that you show respect for 2 and a half minutes. i understand that this can be hard, especially with the ADD/everybody gets a trophy generation, where you feel you are entitled to do or say what ever you want, when ever you want, but you can't. sure, you're "allowed" to yell out during the anthem, but if someone were to come over and give ya a good shot to the jaw... well, i didn't see anything. by screaming things out during the anthem you do nothing but embarrass yourself. it reflects poorly on you, those you are with and our country as a whole.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:41 PM
nyrmetros

much better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjGl1lfCE1Y

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I'd rather have 20, 000 people at a hockey game or 40, 000 people at a baseball game SING the national anthem loudly and proudly..... but whatever. I can't expect that from anyone but US Soccer fans I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUtSSGLR06E

Notice how much better it sounds when the anthem is sung by people instead of some stupid mickey mouse pop/rap singer.

Start a precedence and sing it at all major sporting events
I always sing--I even know the words to the Canadian national anthem.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I have honestly never understood why we sing the national anthem (or anthems for hockey) before sporting events. I just don't see what is so nationalistic about a game played by professionals, many of whom are neither American or Canadian. I can understand it at the olympics or the world cup, but professional sports teams are overwhelmingly international.

I absolutely agree--I never understood why it happens at a hockey or baseball game. Why not at the opera? Doesn't make sense there, does it? Then why at a sporting event?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:21 PM
danman1202

Oh jmb I see you're still up to no good...

Did you really get the boot from MR?

danman1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I absolutely agree--I never understood why it happens at a hockey or baseball game. Why not at the opera? Doesn't make sense there, does it? Then why at a sporting event?
I think it started in the 50s. I read that they used to play it before movies.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
xander

the first referance I've ever heard of the singing of the national anthem at a ballgame was in either 1917 during the 7th inning stretch (think it was a cubs game.) This makes sense considering the time (We'd just entered WWI.)

And we can thank Ken Burns for that little tidbit.

Old
07-13-2008, 09:42 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
While not entirely on topic, I was at All Star Sunday today and saw John Amirante on the concourse and said hi. He sang the national anthem before the future's game, so it was nice seeing him in the offseason.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:31 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
wow..
+1 good sir.

Who does that at a baseball game? kind of **** is annoying period.

I am not going to lecture someone about how retarded they are for the simple reasont that its a waste of time... because they are retarded.

so, yes, the lecturing by the mets fans was a bit much, I will giv you that. but you are still a jackass for shouting an irreivent chant in the wrong time and place.

just because you paid money for a ticket doesnt give you the right to be an *******.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:11 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
Today I was at the Met game. I was sitting only a few rows off the field, so it was around a lot of stuck up jerks. Anyway, me and my Ranger fan friends had the great idea to scream Lets Go Rangers at the appropriate time during the anthem. We did, and people stared, got mad, looked confused. After the anthem, we had about 8 people say something to us, one about how her husband was wounded in Iraq, one how were a bunch of punks and we think we're so cool because we did it, one how baseball is a respectful game and hockey isn't and thats why they do it there, one told me not to go to a baseball game if I care about hockey (didn't get that one)

However, i've been to other events, non-hockey, and heard this chant. St. Johns games, Knicks games....ect.

I was proud to rep the Rangers, even if people got mad. They said I didn't respect America by doing it, my country, blah blah blah. No, I do not support the war in Iraq, but I didn't do it to "disrespect" anyone.

People take stuff wayyyyyy to seriously these days. Anyone else ever just spontaneously scream "LETS GO RANGERS"?

Listen you should be able to do what you want but your going to be at a sporting evert for 9 innings.....the National Anthem takes two minutes, I could even see it if you were ACTUALLY AT A RANGERS GAME but if your not you know how it's going to be proceived by others.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:16 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Its all in the context of the situation. In 1994 you couldn't even hear the anthem bc the garden was so loud. Its understood and accepted in that situation. It really was unnecessary at your Mets game and if you did offend some people I hope you apologized and dropped it. You have to understand that peoples lives have been permanently changed and that song means something deeper to them then it apparently means to you. I don't think you are a bad guy or had bad intentions. In a time of war when many have lost loved ones, especially in this city, you have to understand how deep those wounds run. If you have never experienced it, you should be careful to judge those who have...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
I have a hard time believing this won't turn into a pissing match between two very different types of people, and I fear it's already started, and therefore serves no purpose as it's completely irrelevant to anything involving the New York Rangers.
Probably the most knowledgable post in this thread.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
segmentation fault

I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

First and most obvious, and I mean this in the nicest possible way as I am constantly dorking out about the Rangers, but yelling LGR during a Mets game let alone during the national anthem is pretty lame. Have you ever considered that surely a majority of the people who took exception probably had no freakin clue you were referencing the NY Rangers? Seriously, how many average Mets fans can name 3 Ranger players from the current (or even last year's) roster?

Second, and this should be unnecessary since your "coolness" should have kicked in and said uh-uh to your need to be heard, the Rangers are just now becoming competitive again after years of frustration. To boot, hockey is not nearly as popular as most of us may wish it was especially in the shadows of the Yanks, Giants, Knick, etc. Lastly, it isn't even hockey season and we're not even competing for anything right now so what was the point? I would have been absolutely stunned if anyone would have echoed your enthusiasm let alone knew what the hell you were going on about.

Third, call it decorum, call it respect, call it honor to those who have gone before us, call it whatever....it is a simple extremely short span of time where it is a societal norm to stand, remove your cap, and sing or remain silent. That is a pretty f*ing simple request and even if it doesn't mean jack to you, it means a lot to a lot of other people. So, just in the way that we are supposed to care that you are free to do and say whatever you want, you should show the same respect for those who are choosing to respectfully remain silent or sing during their national anthem. I don't want to sound like an ageist because I'm relatively young in years but seriously save it for the Friday night pep rallies -- or even better, for a Ranger game.

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAloneJustBlue View Post
First and most obvious, and I mean this in the nicest possible way as I am constantly dorking out about the Rangers, but yelling LGR during a Mets game let alone during the national anthem is pretty lame. Have you ever considered that surely a majority of the people who took exception probably had no freakin clue you were referencing the NY Rangers? Seriously, how many average Mets fans can name 3 Ranger players from the current (or even last year's) roster?

Second, and this should be unnecessary since your "coolness" should have kicked in and said uh-uh to your need to be heard, the Rangers are just now becoming competitive again after years of frustration. To boot, hockey is not nearly as popular as most of us may wish it was especially in the shadows of the Yanks, Giants, Knick, etc. Lastly, it isn't even hockey season and we're not even competing for anything right now so what was the point? I would have been absolutely stunned if anyone would have echoed your enthusiasm let alone knew what the hell you were going on about.

Third, call it decorum, call it respect, call it honor to those who have gone before us, call it whatever....it is a simple extremely short span of time where it is a societal norm to stand, remove your cap, and sing or remain silent. That is a pretty f*ing simple request and even if it doesn't mean jack to you, it means a lot to a lot of other people. So, just in the way that we are supposed to care that you are free to do and say whatever you want, you should show the same respect for those who are choosing to respectfully remain silent or sing during their national anthem. I don't want to sound like an ageist because I'm relatively young in years but seriously save it for the Friday night pep rallies -- or even better, for a Ranger game.
All of the things you said gives a better argument FOR chanting than not chanting. If people don't know who the Rangers are, it seems to me singing "Let's Go Rangers" will make the team known, don't you think.

Also having the National anthem sang at every damn game is asking too much from fans anyway in my opinion. It should be reserved for the playoffs. I mean you don't have to be freakin patriotic every freakin times of the damn day. This should be reserved on rare, special occasions.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote