HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tavares to the KHL?

Old
07-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Tra La La

vCash: 500
Tavares to the KHL?

It was no secret the Tavares people, wanted him eligible for this past draft.

So with that thought. Would they consider the KHL?

I'm thinking mainly of St. Petersburg. MR (Gazprom) Medevedev's team. A Cosmopolitan city. With an American Head Coach Barry Smith. A few North american players. And a Chance to earn more this year then Stamkos.

* Again Speculation is the closest header option *
The process of thinking or meditating on a subject

Last edited by Tra La La: 07-13-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:15 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
There is no ****ing way John Tavares would go to the KHL. And don't put speculation on your thing if this is just some thing that you just thought up.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
On his draft year? Not a chance in hell. Maybe if the KHL had been up and running last season I could have seen a 2 year deal, if only to elevate his competition till the NHL came calling.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
There is no ****ing way John Tavares would go to the KHL. And don't put speculation on your thing if this is just some thing that you just thought up.
But isn't that what speculation is?

And no, he won't go KHL. He's likely to be the #1 pick in next years draft. He won't risk that and subsequently every contract he negotiates after that for the KHL.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:18 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
this season really needs to start now....everyone is losing it.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:21 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
But isn't that what speculation is?

And no, he won't go KHL. He's likely to be the #1 pick in next years draft. He won't risk that and subsequently every contract he negotiates after that for the KHL.
I don't see how signing a 1 year deal with the KHL will hurt his chances of being #1 in the draft, beyond that i think his entry level contract for the NHL will not change either.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:30 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

This is crazy talk.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I don't see how signing a 1 year deal with the KHL will hurt his chances of being #1 in the draft, beyond that i think his entry level contract for the NHL will not change either.
especially since he appears to be bored as hell in the OHL.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

People were talking about Crosby signing in Europe during the lockout.

As you can tell by Crosby's DEL scoring titles, they were totally on point.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
timmy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Because if he were to sign in the KHL, then lets say he cannot adapt his game to the bigger rink style or something like that, and he has a very poor season, his draft stock will plummet. If he stays in the O, he is assured to continue tearing up the league (barring injury) and is assured to top 2 draft spot.

timmy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:37 AM
SML

This would be phenomenal. It's what I've been talking about all along. This would go off like a bomb. It makes sense for him to go, b/c he's still going to be the #1 pick, and he can make ridiculous money for a year. The only thing that would hurt his draft status would be if he signed over there for more than one year. How funny would it be if he went over there and signed a 5 year contract for big money, then came back to North America as a unrestricted free agent? This could get good...

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
this season really needs to start now....everyone is losing it.
And to think that during the season when we discuss talk of possibly extending the season, how vehement people are to be against it.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Tarpan

I tend to think that it would be a great thing for him. Sure if he flops then his draft position my faulter, but is that all he cares about is draft status? Shouldn't he care about actually being a better player?

Going to the KHL will give him a much tougher level of competition and provide him a lot more opportunity to grow his game. And, if he was successful, it would skyrocket his value to crosby-like levels immediatly since success in that league, with his past successes, should be a very solid indication of NHL success.

Tarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:44 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy12 View Post
Because if he were to sign in the KHL, then lets say he cannot adapt his game to the bigger rink style or something like that, and he has a very poor season, his draft stock will plummet. If he stays in the O, he is assured to continue tearing up the league (barring injury) and is assured to top 2 draft spot.
Worst case scenerio, he goes over has a not so great season he gets picked #2 and still signs the same contract(that the league allows with bonuses) as he would if he has a great season in the OHL.

Best case scenerio is he goes over there proves he can play amongst men at a top level, still gets the exact same bonus laiden contract he would if he sucks over there all while evaluating his status to #1

If there was no Entry level contracts then he might risk screwing himself out of more money in the NHL but fact is he will get the 850K + all the bonuses he possibly can get type deal no matter what happens next season.

Old
07-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Free Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
People were talking about Crosby signing in Europe during the lockout.

As you can tell by Crosby's DEL scoring titles, they were totally on point.
Are you sure it was Europe? I thought it was that new WHA

Free Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Muscle Bob

We don't want him.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

He'd be better off at playing in the Finnish league. Playing style would suit him better and there wouldn't be language issues. Of course the fact that my team Jokerit currently has only 3 centers has no bearing on my opinion.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:47 AM
SuperUnknown

It would be funny if he went. He would probably play 4mins per game on the fourth line...

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Willy View Post
Are you sure it was Europe? I thought it was that new WHA
No, it was Europe. People were saying that future superstars weren't going to want to play in a capped league, and that Crosby would sign in Sweden or somewhere like that.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

This makes no sense, you're all kidding yourselves if you actually believe it makes any sense.

He's probably thinking right now something along the lines of - I want to adjust to a bigger rink for 1 year in a foreign place where I don't speak the language, come back and adjust to the NHL sized rink just for the sake of it.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Free Willy

This situation is alot similar and comparable to the Brandon Jennings one for basketball. Both are the #1 rated prospect in the world, and both can skip their respective junior teams (U of Arizona and Oshawa) to go to Europe and play at a higher level while also making money (although Jennings was barely qualifying for NCAA academic require,ents)

Free Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:50 AM
CrossbarSniper*

The KHL is and will always be crap. When you have to act desperate to get players, you know your league sucks. We have Lord Stanley, we have the history and a more high profile league and Hall of Fame.

CrossbarSniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Why not? Go make a couple of million bucks and get some experience playing against men. Then, after the draft, it's straight to the NHL. Do you people really think that everyone is going to forget about John Tavares just because he went to Russia? Scouts make it out that way, too, you know. I'm sure NHL teams have had their Eastern scouts taking looks at him for a couple of years now, anyway. Now their Russian scouts can have a look, too. I know Russia is a long way from home for a seventeen/eighteen year old kid, but European prospects come over here all the time. Most of them seem to handle it, okay. They don't have the benefit of a head coach and multiple teammates that speak their native langauge, either. Nor do they get to put a couple of million bucks in their pocket(in fact, alot of times they are losing money in the deal). He's put up two points per game in the OHL for two years in a row. What does he have left to prove? Does he need really need to show the world that he's capable of two and a half points per game in an amateur league? Big whoop. We get the point about him being able to own the OHL. Why not show that he can also handle a new and extremely difficult challenge? Doesn't that prove a whole lot more about him? He still gets to play for Canada in the all important international tournaments, anyway. I don't really see the downside, other than the leaving the friends and family behind. He'll have to do that when he's playing for the Los Angeles Kings or the New York Islanders, anyhow. I don't know, if I'm John Tavares, I might at least fly out to Russia and check out the situation. Weigh my options.

07-13-2008, 11:53 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
This makes no sense, you're all kidding yourselves if you actually believe it makes any sense.

He's probably thinking right now something along the lines of - I want to adjust to a bigger rink for 1 year in a foreign place where I don't speak the language, come back and adjust to the NHL sized rink just for the sake of it.
4 or 5 Million dollars and russian puck bunnies could factor into the equation

Old
07-13-2008, 11:55 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossbarSniper View Post
The KHL is and will always be crap. When you have to act desperate to get players, you know your league sucks. We have Lord Stanley, we have the history and a more high profile league and Hall of Fame.
The OHL plays for the Stanley cup, now? Man, the Red Wings are going to kill those kids.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote