HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Paul Coffey announced to HOF

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2004, 03:19 PM
USC Trojans
AD

vCash: 500
Paul Coffey announced to HOF

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...03&hubName=nhl

So who's left from our glory days? Anderson? Lowe? Tikkanen?

Old
06-09-2004, 03:31 PM
copperandblue

I think Anderson will be a victim of the team he played on.

If he accomplished the same numbers on a less spectacular team then I would say he is inducted, however considering the number of players from the Oilers that are in I suspect he will get overlooked.

As for others, Messier is a no brainer.

Lowe based on his career is unlikely, however if he does well as a manager I could see him having enough of a reputation as an overall hockey man to get inducted down the road.

Old
06-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Bohologo

Bourque was a better all-round defenseman, but Coffey was the guy who made the price of admission worthwhile with those end to end rushes and that effortless skating. Also, Bourque should have turned over the Calder trophy to Gretzky in 1980-everyone knew the NHL was getting one last dig in at the WHA.

Old
06-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Cerebral

Congratulations to Paul! He was definitely one of the greatest pure skaters I've ever seen play the game..

Old
06-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

It's a well-deserved honor for Coffey as well as Bourque and Robinson. Congrats to them all.

Old
06-09-2004, 05:00 PM
IceDragoon

Congratulations to Coffey, Bourque, etal.

'Kamikaze' has been eligible for a few years and never gets any love.
Sadly c&b is probably right about him.

'Vicious', I think, will make it in.
He is highly regarded by his peers.

'Moose' is in as soon as he's nominated.

Last edited by IceDragoon: 06-09-2004 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Coffey not Coffee. duh
Old
06-09-2004, 05:13 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
if they hadn't made that rule that there is no longer exemptions from the waiting list them Moose would be exemted from it and would be in the second he announces his retirement

06-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Oi'll say!

Glenn is 5th in all-time playoff goal scoring (93), 4th in all time playoff points scoring (214), and 2nd in all-time playoff ot goals (5). No active player is within miles of any of these records except Joe Sakic (4 ot goals after the 2002 season).

It's tough for the league to induct more than one Oiler per year but there's no doubt in my mind that Glenn will eventually make it based on his exceptional playoff career.

Lowe has a shot at it, Tikkanen not likely.

Old
06-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Jim_Harnock

I don't see Tikkanen making it to the HHOF. He was a good player, but not high enough calibre to make it.

I see Anderson, Messier and Kurri being the only ones left to go in.

Old
06-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
I don't see Tikkanen making it to the HHOF. He was a good player, but not high enough calibre to make it.

I see Anderson, Messier and Kurri being the only ones left to go in.
Kurri was inducted in 2001.

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/halloffame/in...al_flavor.html

Old
06-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Bignasti

indeed, "props' to Coffey -well deserved!!!

he certainly gets my vote for the most exciting d-man (if not player) of my time

btw, wasn't Jari already inducted?

Old
06-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Hemsky4PM

Anderson has been passed over more than a few times now.
Some see the 500 goal mark as a barrier for the Hall. Andy had 498. But you cannot ignore his 93 playoff goals, penchant for scoring GWGs and 6 Stanley Cups.
He has been screwed thus far. The Rocket had 83 playoff goals, the Golden Jet had 62...and so on. Anderson deserves to be in.

The Oilers of the 80s era that are in: Gretzky, Kurri, Fuhr and Coffey, plus Sather in the Builder category

Guys that will also get in: Messier, Anderson, and Lowe.

Honorable mention: Ranford (he was just too injury prone after his great 90' campaign and the 91' Canada Cup MVP performance)

Old
06-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Oi'll say!

Just a thought... have all three of these guys (Coffey, Bourque, Murphy) ever been on the same Team Canada roster?

I think that they must have all been on the '87 Canada Cup team because Murphy was on the ice for the final goal and Coffey and Bourque were mainstays back then, any others?

Old
06-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Lowetide

Good for Paul Coffey. Watching him skate for the Oilers was one of the real pleasures of being a fan, absolutely beautiful skater. I remember his interview with Tim Dancy (I think it was him) on the ITV broadcasts and he'd had some troubles in his own end.

He went on and on about how he now understood he was supposed to be a "defensive defenseman" from now on. Oh those rookies!!

Anyway, great news for Coffey, and I'm sure Anderson and Lowe will eventually get there. I hope Brian Propp makes it too, although he's certainly not overqualified (just one of my favourites).

Old
06-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Loweball

I think Kevin Lowe should be inducted. He was as steady as they come. He didn't get the points on an offensive team but he was excellent.

I think Glenn Anderson should be inducted as well.

Esa Tikkanen is unlikely. I think I would elect Craig Simpson or Andy Moog before Tik and those guys don't have a chance.

Old
06-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Congratulations to Paul Coffey. He was an amazing player to watch with effortless skating and great passing. Well deserved place in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

I still think there are a couple more players to follow. Glenn Anderson's clutch playoff results and regular season point totals should be good enough to get in. He was a great money player when it counted. And Kevin Lowe, point totals does not always show the measure of a player's contribution. K-Lowe emerged as a leader early on his career and was a defining member in spilling blood and sweat to capture six Stanley Cups. He's gotta get in based on these intangibles and results.

Congratulations to Ray Bourque and others. This is the ultimate achievement for their life's work.

Closed Thread