HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky without Jagr

View Poll Results: Will Dubinsky be better or worse without Jagr?
Better 18 23.08%
Worse 26 33.33%
The same 34 43.59%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
newyorkrangers11

vCash: 500
Dubinsky without Jagr

It can go either way without a doubt. Jagr drew a lot of attention so one can argue that with the attention on Jagr and not Dubi he was allowed more freedom and space and the ability to wheel and deal. On that side of the agruement one would say Dubi will be worse without Jagr.

On the contrary, one can argue that Dubi differed to Jagr to often not allowing himself to truly produce as well as he could. Perhaps this is true and Dubinsky is better without Jagr because the team will require him to carry them a little more and he will come through when called upon.

Or maybe, he'll just do as well as he did last season and progress the same with or without Jagr. (even though clearly it is without Jagr.)

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
It can go either way without a doubt. Jagr drew a lot of attention so one can argue that with the attention on Jagr and not Dubi he was allowed more freedom and space and the ability to wheel and deal. On that side of the agruement one would say Dubi will be worse without Jagr.

On the contrary, one can argue that Dubi differed to Jagr to often not allowing himself to truly produce as well as he could. Perhaps this is true and Dubinsky is better without Jagr because the team will require him to carry them a little more and he will come through when called upon.

Or maybe, he'll just do as well as he did last season and progress the same with or without Jagr. (even though clearly it is without Jagr.)

I don't see how he can improve on his numbers with the situation he finds himself in now. I see us trying to move him to wing and if that doesn't work he could be this years Callahan. Struggle at the start, get sent down for a while and called back up. Add in to the fact that we are very much in the Sundin hunt, if Dubinsky can't adapt to switching to wing then I see a long and frustrating season ahead for Duby.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:36 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

i hope he is centering the 2nd line which would move Drury to the wing.

i think that Dubinsky will improve and i'd love to see the top two lines like this.

Dawes-Gomez-Naslund
Drury-Dubinsky-Zherdev

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I haven't the slightest idea where Dubinsky is going to fit in this year. He's shown he can play great hockey, so I doubt Renney relegates him to the 3rd line. We have 3 top-two-line centers and obviously only two spots. Gomez is probably the last option to move to the wing, so it's either Dubi or Drury, assuming Dubi is even here to start the season.

I want to keep Dubinsky, but his value is very high right now. Couple that with the log-jam of centers we have and it's going to be hard for Slats to resist dangling him to some team in need of a 2nd line power-center.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:39 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I don't see how he can improve on his numbers with the situation he finds himself in now. I see us trying to move him to wing and if that doesn't work he could be this years Callahan. Struggle at the start, get sent down for a while and called back up. Add in to the fact that we are very much in the Sundin hunt, if Dubinsky can't adapt to switching to wing then I see a long and frustrating season ahead for Duby.
I don't know about that. I think Dubinsky brings noticeably more to the table than someone like Callahan. He's bigger, more skilled, and is tougher to throw off the puck.

Like you said though, it depends a lot of where he's going to play. If it's on the second line for a whole season, I expect him to put up similar type numbers to those of last season or maybe even better. If he's on the third line then 30-35 points sound about right

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:58 PM
McMonster

Every goal Dubinsky scored that I can remember was because of a great set-up by Jagr so I think he will either be the same or worse..

I voted WORSE, for the record

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I'd actually move Dubinsky to first line RW with Gomez and Naslund, That can be a pretty deadly line.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'm going to say better, because I think the biggest thing Jags did for Dubi was build his confidence. I believe his potential is higher than a lot give him credit for, and I fully expect to see solid progress this year.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

I want to keep Dubinsky, but his value is very high right now. Couple that with the log-jam of centers we have and it's going to be hard for Slats to resist dangling him to some team in need of a 2nd line power-center.
the Bruins would be listening

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:08 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I'm going to say better, because I think the biggest thing Jags did for Dubi was build his confidence. I believe his potential is higher than a lot give him credit for, and I fully expect to see solid progress this year.
I agree with you. The guy was playing with one of the greatest players of all time for almost a whole season. How many young players get to do this?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:09 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
While i think jags brought out the best in Dubi for sure, the kid has so much fire and fight in him I have no doubt that he'll take everything he learned playing with jags and keep applying it no matter who he plays with...look how well he did in the young stars game, more than his linemates, i think his intensity is his best hockey attribute...reminds me of a young center that played for the oilers in the early 80's...god a guy can hope right

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
The next words out of your mouth are going to have to be 'Phil' and 'Kessel'

Last edited by Trxjw: 07-13-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old
07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
How can anybody be better playing without Jagr?

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
why move Dubinsky to wing?? has we ever played wing, in hartford or in juniors? At least Drury has played wing, id rather move a vet to wing than a 2ed year player in the NHL. If Dubinsky moves to wing and fails it can hurt his confidence. we dont want to ruin the kid.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante76 View Post
Every goal Dubinsky scored that I can remember was because of a great set-up by Jagr so I think he will either be the same or worse..

I voted WORSE, for the record
Dubinsky had 14 goals last year; Jagr had an assist on 7 of them. How the hell did Dubi find a way to score 7 goals without a great set-up from Jagr?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
why move Dubinsky to wing?? has we ever played wing, in hartford or in juniors? At least Drury has played wing, id rather move a vet to wing than a 2ed year player in the NHL. If Dubinsky moves to wing and fails it can hurt his confidence. we dont want to ruin the kid.
I think you were trying to quote what I said. Dubi may have not played wing in his career, but the characteristics of his game could translate very well to a winger. He is tough along the boards, and I noticed that he can pass very well from behind the net and on the corner boards. If it doesn't work, fine, move him back to center. Changes in line combos are made all the time during the season. It can't hurt to try at all.

Old
07-13-2008, 08:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Nice to see someone appreciating what this kid did last year.

Old
07-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Drury played wing 6+ years ago. You can't say he's going to just shift right over to the wing with no problems.

I don't think Dubinsky is the type that would be offended if Renney said: "You're top-six material, but we want to keep Dru at center. Would you mind trying out the wing?" I think he'd be absolutely fine with it. Plus, he's extremely young. He might have an easier time adapting to the wing than you think.

Old
07-13-2008, 08:20 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I think you were trying to quote what I said. Dubi may have not played wing in his career, but the characteristics of his game could translate very well to a winger. He is tough along the boards, and I noticed that he can pass very well from behind the net and on the corner boards. If it doesn't work, fine, move him back to center. Changes in line combos are made all the time during the season. It can't hurt to try at all.
The Rangers have a chance to develop a physical, top six center, something they don't have in the system, and really haven't had, (outside of the 1st three months of Lindros' career in NY), since Mess circa 1996, and people want to move him to wing, even though he's shown he can play the position.

Old
07-13-2008, 08:25 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The Rangers have a chance to develop a physical, top six center, something they don't have in the system, and really haven't had, (outside of the 1st three months of Lindros' career in NY), since Mess circa 1996, and people want to move him to wing, even though he's shown he can play the position.
I know that, but how much of a chance is he going to have to develop into that with Drury and Gomez both around for at least 4 more years? Unless Drury is moved to wing and Dubi is the 2nd line center, I don't see it happening. I don't WANT Dubi to play wing, I only suggested it as a possibility with Drury and Gomez around for the long term.

Old
07-13-2008, 08:28 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Dubinsky had 14 goals last year; Jagr had an assist on 7 of them. How the hell did Dubi find a way to score 7 goals without a great set-up from Jagr?
I said "the ones I remember most were because of nice set-ups by Jagr....(ex. The goal he scored on Cam Ward in Carolina)

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante76 View Post
I said "the ones I remember most were because of nice set-ups by Jagr....(ex. The goal he scored on Cam Ward in Carolina)
And that one had nothing to do with the brilliant move Dubinsky made on Ward?

Old
07-13-2008, 08:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I know that, but how much of a chance is he going to have to develop into that with Drury and Gomez both around for at least 4 more years? Unless Drury is moved to wing and Dubi is the 2nd line center, I don't see it happening. I don't WANT Dubi to play wing, I only suggested it as a possibility with Drury and Gomez around for the long term.

That's why I do see Drury moving to the wing. The Rangers are a better team with Dubinsky in the middle, and in the top six.

Old
07-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The next words out of your mouth are going to have to be 'Phil' and 'Kessel'
Deal?

I'll drive Phil, might be awkward but whatever.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:50 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Agreed.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote