HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the Rangers front office might be thinking

Old
07-13-2008, 06:20 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Frankly that Sundin comment is confusing the hell out of me. Unless Slats is moving Rozsival or Sundin is coming to play here for peanuts so he can game with Naslund, I have no idea how Sundin fits into this lineup. Frankly, I don't know how he's planning to beef up our offense at all unless he's going to steal some young player away from a western conference team that is still locked up in a cheap or entry level contract.
My take on the Sundin thing is that Sather has in fact given him a lowball offer, hoping the bright lights, big city, and Henrik Lundqvist will work as an incentive to get him to take it. But I don't think he really expects him to, thus the "all the same we are grateful he has considered our offer" bit.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
ThirdEye

There is no way Sundin is going to sign here now that Vancouver offered him 10 million a year.

If he was going to sign for less to win it would be with Detroit, not us.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
My take on the Sundin thing is that Sather has in fact given him a lowball offer, hoping the bright lights, big city, and Henrik Lundqvist will work as an incentive to get him to take it. But I don't think he really expects him to, thus the "all the same we are grateful he has considered our offer" bit.
Thats the only explanation I could come up with as well. I think the only way we 'strengthen our attack' is to work out some miracle trade for a top-six forward thats under an affordable contract for at least two more years.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Deathstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Thats the only explanation I could come up with as well. I think the only way we 'strengthen our attack' is to work out some miracle trade for a top-six forward thats under an affordable contract for at least two more years.

Got anyone in mind?

Yes, I'm aware that this will be about impossible to achieve.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPatUSC View Post
Got anyone in mind?

Yes, I'm aware that this will be about impossible to achieve.
Certainly there a few players that come to mind, most of which are probably unattainable.

The top of that list would have to be Frolov. Signed for 2 more years at a 2.9 mil hit. Great skill set, adds size and scoring to our top-six. Though he's pretty much guaranteed to be untouchable.

Stempniak is an interesting possibly as well. 2.5 mil hit for two more seasons and plays a solid two-way game with a TON of speed.

Lupul is another guy that I really like. Although he's only under contract for one more season and plays for a division rival. Good size, good hands and plays hard in the corners. Not sure if he has the speed to keep up with the rest of our forwards though. His latest concussion worries me a bit as well.

Kessel is also another guy with a ton of speed and potential. Though he's only locked up for one more year, he hasn't produced so much that he'd be getting huge money either. Might be hard to pry him out of bean town.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPatUSC View Post
Of course Sather will be looking to improve the team via trades, that doesn't mean he will be able to. I'm sure some people will be moved, but that doesn't mean that he will get a player he wants.

and LOL if you really believe Sather is after Sundin. He said similar things about Shanny and Jagr even though it's become apparent that he wasn't seriously pursuing either of them. Even if he really wanted Sundin, how in the hell is he gonna fit him under the cap?

but if ripping Sather for moves he hasn't made yet and probably will not make makes you feel better, go ahead and keep at it.

Yes, I'm placing you on my ignore list, so if you respond, I won't see it
If your gonna place people on your ignore list for proving you wrong then it will fill up really quick newbie. And I LOL that you still don't believe we have an offer in for Sundin after the gm, you know the guy who runs the team, said we do. You also said we are done and this is what we are going with, again our gm says otherwise.

I never said we WILL get Sundin, I think it's a terrible idea. But at the same time you can't say well it's not gonna happen, cause it very well could.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:47 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
If your gonna place people on your ignore list for proving you wrong then it will fill up really quick newbie. And I LOL that you still don't believe we have an offer in for Sundin after the gm, you know the guy who runs the team, said we do. You also said we are done and this is what we are going with, again our gm says otherwise.

I never said we WILL get Sundin, I think it's a terrible idea. But at the same time you can't say well it's not gonna happen, cause it very well could.
I don't mean to be rude, but I find it very frustrating to put all the time into the math that went into the calculations in my first post - and then find you continuing to harp on Sather's lip service comment that the Rangers are still interested in Sundin, when the math obviously makes it impossible.

Seriously, dude, look at the numbers in the '08-'09 column and explain to me how we sign Mats. We could let ALL of our RFAs go (i.e. let Sjostrom, Fritsche and Dawes ALL walk - which we won't do) and still only have about $4.5MM left to sign him. When there's another offer out there for $20MM! AND THAT WOULD LEAVE US WITH 10 FORWARDS. (And don't say that we then call up a couple rookies, because their $800K each would count against the cap, bringing the money available for Mats back down to $3MM.) What - are you going to jump out of the stands to play both C and LW on the 4th line every night?

I know you're POed that Jagr and Avery are gone, but when you ignore basic arithmatic, I find it very hard to take you seriously.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Deathstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but I find it very frustrating to put all the time into the math that went into the calculations in my first post - and then find you continuing to harp on Sather's lip service comment that the Rangers are still interested in Sundin, when the math obviously makes it impossible.

Seriously, dude, look at the numbers in the '08-'09 column and explain to me how we sign Mats. We could let ALL of our RFAs go (i.e. let Sjostrom, Fritsche and Dawes ALL walk - which we won't do) and still only have about $4.5MM left to sign him. When there's another offer out there for $20MM! AND THAT WOULD LEAVE US WITH 10 FORWARDS. (And don't say that we then call up a couple rookies, because their $800K each would count against the cap, bringing the money available for Mats back down to $3MM.) What - are you going to jump out of the stands to play both C and LW on the 4th line every night?

I know you're POed that Jagr and Avery are gone, but when you ignore basic arithmatic, I find it very hard to take you seriously.

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say, albeit with no name calling or swearing

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

This post should be to Glen Sather, not me. HE is quoted as saying we are not done, we have to improve our fowards, and we have an offer for Sundin. I think signing Mats is crazy, I do not have ANY idea how he could would fit in the team. I agree with everything you said. Show me where I said I want Sundin in this thread. All I said was our gm said we have an offer on him and we are waiting to hear back from him. I mean what reason would he have to lie about having an offer for Sundin? Call his secretary and ask for glen and ask him those questions. I will be very interested to hear the answers. I have no idea what this team will look like on opening night.

The other poster said we are going to go into the season with what we have, our GM was quoted today as saying the exact opposite. Whats so hard about that? Why wouldn't that be taken seriously?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote