HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dubinsky without Jagr

View Poll Results: Will Dubinsky be better or worse without Jagr?
Better 18 23.08%
Worse 26 33.33%
The same 34 43.59%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Nice to see someone appreciating what this kid did last year.
between his play in Hartford and the games I saw on TV last year, the kid is going to be something special. would love to get him in boston and mentioned so a few times on these boards over the past year...heh

yeah it's just a gimmick, but his play at the youngstars was great too.

y'all talk about how Jagr made him play better, but as a non-biased (at the time..now I love dubinsky) observer, it looked to me that Dubinsky was as key to that line as Avery or Jagr. When the kid was on, that line was dominant.

some of the end to end rushes he made were just beautiful.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I'm going to say better, because I think the biggest thing Jags did for Dubi was build his confidence. I believe his potential is higher than a lot give him credit for, and I fully expect to see solid progress this year.
agreed completely.

Old
07-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Unk

Between Dubinsky and Jagr, they both seemed to make each other better, but I guess that's what the concept called 'chemistry' is all about. That being said, I can't help but feel Jagr might've helped Dubinsky a little more, and w/ less ice-time and worse line mates I doubt he won't have a sophmore slump. I'm a little skeptical on the idea of Dubinsky being the 2nd line center w/ Anisimov not ready, unless someone like Fritsche is gonna be our 3rd line center.

That said, if Dubinsky cracks the top-6 this season, Drury is being moved to wing, IMO. Drury can still take those important FO's, and there's no harm in being a defensively responsible winger. Plus I think offensively Dubinsky can play the playmaking role better than Drury.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:54 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
agreed completely.
I eat Fig Newtons by the Sleeve.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPatUSC View Post
I eat Fig Newtons by the Sleeve.
I walked on the moon.

Old
07-13-2008, 07:57 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Drury played wing 6+ years ago. You can't say he's going to just shift right over to the wing with no problems.

I don't think Dubinsky is the type that would be offended if Renney said: "You're top-six material, but we want to keep Dru at center. Would you mind trying out the wing?" I think he'd be absolutely fine with it. Plus, he's extremely young. He might have an easier time adapting to the wing than you think.
Y'know, I've heard this argument a number of times, but the more I think about it, the more I think Drury on the wing makes sense - he and Gomez on the first line (most likely with Zherdev at RW) as the co-leaders of the team...? Based on comments they've made in interviews, I think that both of these guys have bonded and see themselves as the co-leaders bringing the Rangers forward for the next 4+ years. Doing it together on the line that will get the most PT - and introducing Drury's stellar defensive play to balance (what I hope will be) the Gomez/Zherdev risk-taking counterattack sounds REALLY good to me.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:58 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
I walked on the moon.
The big yellow one's the sun

Brian Regan is hilarious.

Back on topic - I think Dubi will improve. I think the new style will suit his game better. I don't think he and Jagr had "great" Chemistry, he just meshed better with Jagr than Gomez and Drury did.

Old
07-13-2008, 07:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
between his play in Hartford and the games I saw on TV last year, the kid is going to be something special.

yeah it's just a gimmick, but his play at the youngstars was great too.

y'all talk about how Jagr made him play better, but as a non-biased (at the time..now I love dubinsky) observer, it looked to me that Dubinsky was as key to that line as Avery or Jagr. When the kid was on, that line was dominant.

some of the end to end rushes he made were just beautiful.
Now, now...don't go over-rating him.

I've thought this kid was going to be special for a while now. He every time it's seems the kid is not supposed to be able to do something, he proves everybody wrong. He wasn't supposed to make the Rangers last year, his skating was supposedly not good enough...so he improves his skating. "Why is Renney putting Jagr with the kid?" He shows he can be a very effective player with Jagr. Just go ahead, and say the kid's play was all because of Jagr last year...watch him end up the top line center this year...because he earns it. He's got a bit of arrogance about him. I think he's the future captain, and I think he's a special player.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Y'know, I've heard this argument a number of times, but the more I think about it, the more I think Drury on the wing makes sense - he and Gomez on the first line (most likely with Zherdev at RW) as the co-leaders of the team...? Based on comments they've made in interviews, I think that both of these guys have bonded and see themselves as the co-leaders bringing the Rangers forward for the next 4+ years. Doing it together on the line that will get the most PT - and introducing Drury's stellar defensive play to balance (what I hope will be) the Gomez/Zherdev risk-taking counterattack sounds REALLY good to me.
Personally, I don't have a preference as to which player is moved to the wing. If Dru wants to move to the wing, more power to him, but I think Zherdev is going to wind up playing with Dubi either way. Dubi likes to bang bodies and would be well suited to clear some room for Zherdev to do his thing. Naslund is more of the type to shoot off the rush, which is why I think he'll do well with Gomez. I also think you need to spread out the leadership a bit.

Naslund - Gomez - ???
Drury - Dubi - Zherdev

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:18 PM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Dawes-Gomez-Naslund
Drury-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Zherdev is a first liner

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:34 PM
newyorkrangers11

Did anybody catch the young stars game this year. Or one could call it the Brandon Dubinsky show. He ran that game. Some of the things he did were remarkable. Clearly he was doing this without Jagr. But this argument could be negated by saying he was playing against inexperienced players and goaltenders and in the reg season he wont be doing that. However just in that game he proved that he knows what to do and that he can do it. Jagr built confidence in Dubi, but most of all he teached him. I'm pretty sure that in your rookie season having Jagr as a tutor is going to be quite beneficial toward a successful career. Dubi's experience, talent and confidence will continue to make him an explosive player and eventually an All-Star.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Zherdev is a first liner
Gomez is a first line center, Drury is a 2nd line center and Dubinsky is a third line center but that wasn't the case this season was it?

Chemistry is much more important than if you're on the first or 2nd line.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:48 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Gomez is a first line center, Drury is a 2nd line center and Dubinsky is a third line center but that wasn't the case this season was it?

Chemistry is much more important than if you're on the first or 2nd line.
QFT.

As long as Zherdev produces first line numbers, I don't care what line he is playing on.

I still think Korpikoski-Dubinsky-Zherdev has the makings of a great line.

Old
07-13-2008, 10:12 PM
NYReign

The way I see it at the moment, Dubie would be third line center behind Gomer and Drury and if no one moves from today I envision the lines like this (w/ Orr as the primary extra):

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Prucha
Sjostrom-Dubinsky-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Fritsche

Ideally, however, Drury would move to Dubie's wing because I feel Dubie is a better fit in the top 6 then Prucha at this point. The only question I'd have about this is would we be better off having Drury take the face-offs and then switch positions with Dubinsky during the play and is that feasible? The other thing is it kind of leaves Prucha without a spot because I don't see how he fits on the third line to be honest. But I'm not sure how well my Dawes-Drury-Prucha line would work since they don't really have a set up man so I think this might be a better alignment:

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-Drury
Sjostrom-Fritsche-Callahan/Prucha
Voros-Betts-Orr/Callahan

I like that alignment better because Dawes works well with Gomer (though that line is painfully small). I guess I could switch Dawes and Naslund in the first scenario but he seems like the best approximate of a set-up guy on that line w/o Dubie. If the second set of lines works out I'd consider dropping Prucha so that Korpikoski's salary could fit on the roster and slot him in at 3rd line LW, moving Sjo down a line and having Voros replace Orr/Prucha as the odd man out (for the record, I hope not to see Hollweg or Rissmiller here on opening night; Hollweg I believe will be gone, but I'm afraid Rissmiller will stick around and the fact that all the Sharks fans were thrilled to get rid of him [http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=530833] and the rumor that we're paying him a million brought me to have a bad feeling about him from the very start unfortunately..)

Thoughts?

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Celestial Black

I don't think that he will do as well as he did.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:48 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

not only did jagr make dubinsky better, but i think dubinsky also helped make jagr a bit better aswell

dubi's numbers will improve, but not drastically

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Fletch

Before I answer...

I need to know with whom he's going to play, which PP unit, if any, as well as how many minutes per night. Without those answers, it's impossible to project. It's too easy to say he'll get 45-50 because he will do better than last season. Or he'll get 35-40 (which I think I once said not thinking) because he will have a sophomore slump. Will Drury switch to wing? Will he be on a third line with Cally and a left winger? Will another forward come into the picture to make things clearer?

What I expect of him this season is as follows: he will continue to work hard and give an honest shift every time; he will be a physical player; he will improve his defensive awareness (it's not bad, but he will still improve); he will see the ice better and use his linemates better; he will win battles in the corner; he will hone his skills shooting. He's a young kid who works hard and takes his job seriously. I think he surprised many as to how quickly he matured; we all knew he had size, skills and heart, but his assimilation into the NHL was somewhat seamless in terms of fitting in (took a while to begin scoring). But as mentioned above, it's impossible to predict points with the information available to us currently.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
NYR Viper

i think renney will want to keep the three best centers as the three top center on the team......i also think fritsche will surprise quite a few people and battle for the last remaining 2nd line spot as he is more suited to dawes and drury then prucha, plus has more size.....

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-fritsche
rissmiller-dubinsky-voros
callahan-betts-sjostrom(all three of these guys will get the majority of the pk time which will boost their minutes)

the 3rd line will be a forechecking and rough line who will play in your face and go hard to the net.....they also all have good size and hit which is lacking elsewhere in the lineup....

4th line, IMO is the best defensive line the rangers could put together as they have speed and some offensive ability and all pk which will help keep them in the game and so they can keep their energy for those times in the game.....also, i think callahan is more suited to a 4th line role and being moved up if there is an injury

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Fletch

viper...

I don't think there will be much of a batter for that second line spot. I'm not sure this team has a legitimate second line right winger in any event. Prucha was benched down the stretch last season, which may say where Renney's head's at regarding his ability to step it up (and honestly, I just don't see him fitting in - Renney hasn't given him an ounce of confidence from day 1).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't think there will be much of a batter for that second line spot. I'm not sure this team has a legitimate second line right winger in any event. Prucha was benched down the stretch last season, which may say where Renney's head's at regarding his ability to step it up (and honestly, I just don't see him fitting in - Renney hasn't given him an ounce of confidence from day 1).
i agree....i think, it was hard to understand what you were saying but i think you meant to agree with the way i had the lineup?.....

i agree though that i dont think prucha will be given much of a shot next season as he doesnt really fit with either of the centers because if his lack of size and lack of playmaking skills......also, i see other players bringing more versatility than him

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote