HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: Trade coming?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2008, 09:09 PM
  #26
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Yeah and Im sure youd be saying all of this had Chipchura been drafted in the 7th round by Ottawa.
Probably, because I'd be as uneducated as you seem to be in the abilities of Chipchura. Yet, since I'm not and I've seen every game he's played as a Hab. I've seen his Calder Cup run with the Bulldogs and I've read every written report given by Qui Gon Dave or anyone else.

Chipchura > Lapierre. In overall ability, value and upside. Lapierre will be a 4th line winger in this league and he'll be useful with Laraque to back up his (hopefully) yappiness and pest behaviour.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
  #27
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Probably, because I'd be as uneducated as you seem to be in the abilities of Chipchura. Yet, since I'm not and I've seen every game he's played as a Hab. I've seen his Calder Cup run with the Bulldogs and I've read every written report given by Qui Gon Dave or anyone else.

Chipchura > Lapierre. In overall ability, value and upside. Lapierre will be a 4th line winger in this league and he'll be useful with Laraque to back up his (hopefully) yappiness and pest behaviour.
i am pretty shocked that everything you say about the fact Chipchura>Lapierre sounds like music to my ears

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:20 PM
  #28
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
I agree Chips is a much better player than Lapierre. If Sundin does come, Chips should be the 4th line centre instead of Laps, no question. Though I do think a pest like Lapierre would do well on Chipchura's wing, both can chip in with offence from time to time.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:20 PM
  #29
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Probably, because I'd be as uneducated as you seem to be in the abilities of Chipchura. Yet, since I'm not and I've seen every game he's played as a Hab. I've seen his Calder Cup run with the Bulldogs and I've read every written report given by Qui Gon Dave or anyone else.

Chipchura > Lapierre. In overall ability, value and upside. Lapierre will be a 4th line winger in this league and he'll be useful with Laraque to back up his (hopefully) yappiness and pest behaviour.
Yeah, Lapierre is a career 4th line winger on a good team with some PK time to boot. No argument there.

Yet Chipchura, despite being a poor skater, a relatively weak/non-existent physical threat, and a severe liability in the faceoff circle (not to mention a marginal offensive game), is going to be the shutdown 3rd line center on a good team for the next decade... that just doesnt make sense boy.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
  #30
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Yeah, Lapierre is a career 4th line winger on a good team with some PK time to boot. No argument there.

Yet Chipchura, despite being a poor skater, a relatively weak/non-existent physical threat, and a severe liability in the faceoff circle (not to mention a marginal offensive game), is going to be the shutdown 3rd line center on a good team for the next decade... that just doesnt make sense boy.
Look beyond a stats sheet. There's more to the game then his face-off percentage (as a rookie, none the less) and his "hit" count. He doesn't have to be overly physical. Why? Because he always has immaculate body positioning. A quick active stick and oozes hockey sense and smarts to strip the opposing player of the puck. He's going to be a shutdown center (4th line because we'll have 3 offensive lines, but he can form a two-way line with S. Kost and Higgy) at the NHL level because he has the smarts, he's a leader, he has a calm presence, he's unbeatable on the boards, he backchecks hards and always strips the opposing player of the puck. Once he improves his face-offs, which he will. And garners more experience, you'll see exactly what he's always been about and you'll be a fan claiming to have supported him from the beginning.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:33 PM
  #31
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If Lapierre and Chipchura were playing 1 on 1, Chipchura would win. Even if Chips lost the face-off, which he's improving at, he'd get the puck back with his supreme hockey sense, his checking ability, his smarts and his unbeatability on the boards. Plus his general calmness. Chipchura has better hands, can control the puck better than Lapierre, can protect the puck better. Chipchura also has leadership up the wazoo. There's a reason Chipchura was selected as highly as he was and is reguarded as highly as he is the organization.

But yeah, you make more money than me or something, so you win.. or whatever.


Great post.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:35 PM
  #32
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Rejean Houle! is that you?
There are only so many spots on this team at D....do you think they are all going to be on it or make it?

Timmins has said himself that you don't just draft to get prospects to develop into players for your team, you also draft players to be bargaining chips to develop into players needed for your team via trade.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
  #33
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Look beyond a stats sheet. There's more to the game then his face-off percentage (as a rookie, none the less) and his "hit" count. He doesn't have to be overly physical. Why? Because he always has immaculate body positioning. A quick active stick and oozes hockey sense and smarts to strip the opposing player of the puck. He's going to be a shutdown center (4th line because we'll have 3 offensive lines, but he can form a two-way line with S. Kost and Higgy) at the NHL level because he has the smarts, he's a leader, he has a calm presence, he's unbeatable on the boards, he backchecks hards and always strips the opposing player of the puck. Once he improves his face-offs, which he will. And garners more experience, you'll see exactly what he's always been about and you'll be a fan claiming to have supported him from the beginning.
Where on the stat sheet do you see a number devoted to his skating deficiencies?
Because that alone abruptly ends your dreams of seeing him play with Kost and Higgy... or *always* stripping the opposing player of the puck. Oh, but I forgot, he doesnt need to skate... he can teleport himself from end to end all game long. Hes the mighty Chipchura. Unbeatable along the boards... cmon. Your post is so filled with hyperboles that it just reads like a thesaurus.

And I forgot who the 3 other centers are that will be running offensive lines... care to inform me.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
  #34
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Where on the stat sheet do you see a number devoted to his skating deficiencies?
Because that alone abruptly ends your dreams of seeing him play with Kost and Higgy... or *always* stripping the opposing player of the puck. Oh, but I forgot, he doesnt need to skate... he can teleport himself from end to end all game long. Hes the mighty Chipchura.

And I forgot who the 3 other centers are that will be running offensive lines... care to inform me.
I've made my point. You can't bring anything up but minor flaws in his game. Every player has flaws. Chipchura will carve his niche and he'll prove you wrong. I'm done wasting my time with you. Chipchura's on-ice product this year in the NHL will be all the argument needed. G'day.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
  #35
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Look beyond a stats sheet. There's more to the game then his face-off percentage (as a rookie, none the less) and his "hit" count. He doesn't have to be overly physical. Why? Because he always has immaculate body positioning. A quick active stick and oozes hockey sense and smarts to strip the opposing player of the puck. He's going to be a shutdown center (4th line because we'll have 3 offensive lines, but he can form a two-way line with S. Kost and Higgy) at the NHL level because he has the smarts, he's a leader, he has a calm presence, he's unbeatable on the boards, he backchecks hards and always strips the opposing player of the puck. Once he improves his face-offs, which he will. And garners more experience, you'll see exactly what he's always been about and you'll be a fan claiming to have supported him from the beginning.
This guy is overblowing Chipchura's poor faceoff percentage, making it seem like he hasn't won a faceoff in his entire career. 43% isn't that bad for a kid playing against NHL players who have been taking F/O for that much longer.

And lack of physicality? Just because he doesn't throw out huge hits doesn't mean he isn't physical. He goes out there and takes hits, works along the boards effectively pushing d-men off him. He and Lats working downlow was awesome to see. To say he isn't physical is ignoring the aspects of physicality.

I think he has good offensive upside, he controls the puck real well and makes very nice passes. I actually see him being a 2nd unit PP centre in the future due to his strength and smarts.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:50 PM
  #36
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I've made my point. You can't bring anything up but minor flaws in his game. Every player has flaws. Chipchura will carve his niche and he'll prove you wrong. I'm done wasting my time with you. Chipchura's on-ice product this year in the NHL will be all the argument needed. G'day.
Chip got the welt under his eye in my avatar pic jumping into a fight with a Marlie during a game in which Toronto was running at Grabs. The last thing I'd worry about is his physicality, he never backs down, and unlike Laps will actually drop 'em.

I'm convinced more and more that our friend is a clueless 12 year old, at least in the way he seems to see the game.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:50 PM
  #37
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I've made my point. You can't bring anything up but minor flaws in his game. Every player has flaws. Chipchura will carve his niche and he'll prove you wrong. I'm done wasting my time with you. Chipchura's on-ice product this year in the NHL will be all the argument needed. G'day.
That would involve him making the team and staying on it... needless to say lets start with 1 game.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:23 PM
  #38
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,801
vCash: 500
Lapierre is currently way better than Chipchura.

People saying that Chipchura is better than Lapierre are basing their opinion on the fact that Chipchura is a 1st rounder and COULD be better a better player in the future.

Other than that, saying that Chipchura is better is pretty ridiculous, can you then explain to me why Gainey decided to send him down to Hamilton and kept Lapierre in the big club?

I hope that Chips will be the player we wanted him to be, but he still got a lot to prove!

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:00 PM
  #39
ed ible*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Lapierre is currently way better than Chipchura.

People saying that Chipchura is better than Lapierre are basing their opinion on the fact that Chipchura is a 1st rounder and COULD be better a better player in the future.

Other than that, saying that Chipchura is better is pretty ridiculous, can you then explain to me why Gainey decided to send him down to Hamilton and kept Lapierre in the big club?

I hope that Chips will be the player we wanted him to be, but he still got a lot to prove!
Get ready to eat crow.......................and big time crow...

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:25 PM
  #40
Biggsy
Registered User
 
Biggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rutland/Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Josh Gorges was Captain in kelowna from what my sources told me
and your source's are correct

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:39 PM
  #41
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Chipchura is better than Lapierre at every facet of the game other than skating. Which doesn't matter because Chipchura is always in position.

If Lapierre and Chipchura were playing 1 on 1, Chipchura would win. Even if Chips lost the face-off, which he's improving at, he'd get the puck back with his supreme hockey sense, his checking ability, his smarts and his unbeatability on the boards. Plus his general calmness. Chipchura has better hands, can control the puck better than Lapierre, can protect the puck better. Chipchura also has leadership up the wazoo. There's a reason Chipchura was selected as highly as he was and is reguarded as highly as he is the organization.

But yeah, you make more money than me or something, so you win.. or whatever.
I usually disagree with you ( don't ask me why -- just an overall difference of opinion ) but I agree with this whole post. Lapierre will always shoot the puck like a hot potato whenever he enters the zone, Chipchura will play keep away using his good hands and body presence. Chips > Laps -- and it's not even close... Call me crazy but I believe Lapierre is currently the weakest link on our current "under-contract" roster..

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:40 AM
  #42
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
So you guys are saying a trade will go down if Sundin signs with us? What trade do you think that might be? Sounds crazy to me, we would be gasping for air in the cap if we signed Sundin wouldn't we?

Who would we get that would be worth trading for?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:57 AM
  #43
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Chip got the welt under his eye in my avatar pic jumping into a fight with a Marlie during a game in which Toronto was running at Grabs. The last thing I'd worry about is his physicality, he never backs down, and unlike Laps will actually drop 'em.
Did you see the game against the Amerks the year before last where he dropped Kaleta? That was a thing of beauty. It was like a little kid with a stick poking a bear saying "Am I annoying you? Am I annoying you? Am I annoying you? Am I annoying you?" and then the bear gets up and wallops the kid into the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Lapierre is currently way better than Chipchura.
I wouldn't say he is "way better" than Chipchura. Way more experienced (comparatively), perhaps. They each have strengths and weaknesses but as all around players, personally, I'd take Chipchura any day of the week over Lapierre. I think Lapierre has something to offer this team and he has his plus points, but I'd take Chipchura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
People saying that Chipchura is better than Lapierre are basing their opinion on the fact that Chipchura is a 1st rounder and COULD be better a better player in the future.
Kyle certainly has things to work on at the NHL level and adapt to, but he tops Lapierre in several areas of the game, a lot of them relating to play with the puck. Kyle can protect the puck better in just about any situation. The one that Lappy has an edge at would be accelerating away from an opponent with the puck and protecting it, but even still, Kyle isn't bad at protecting the puck in that situation, just accelerating. Kyle has FAR better hands than Lapierre both in traffic and when one on one. Lapierre has the better slap/snap shot but I would say Kyle has the better wrister from the hash marks in. Kyle is not only the better passer, but is more inclined to read each play, get his head up and choose what he believes his best option is. Lapierre is more route one than that. He gets the puck, he rushes up the ice, he puts it on net and he doesn't often deviate from that as long as it is an option for him.

Kyle is also a better player positionally IMO, a better fighter, a better leader (would have been captain of the Dogs last year if he had started the season in Hamilton) and more reliable in the defensive zone. He doesn't go for the big hit often, but is capable of it.

I think the reason people rate Kyle over Maxim is because Kyle has displayed a wide range of skills effectively, throughout his development. In addition, he has skills which Maxim currently either lacks or needs further development on. That's not to say that Kyle is a complete player right now, clearly he isn't. But there are far better reasons for people considering Kyle the better player than the mere fact he was a first round pick. That just sounds like a kop out to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Other than that, saying that Chipchura is better is pretty ridiculous...
It really isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
...can you then explain to me why Gainey decided to send him down to Hamilton and kept Lapierre in the big club?
Gainey figured that Kyle having big minutes and a big role in Hamilton over a few minutes and a small role in Montreal would be beneficial to his development, perhaps? Lappy doesn't fill a big role in Montreal and likely never will. He can do what he does effectively in Montreal and it is what he will be doing for years to come. He also has a year of development over Chipchura. Kyle could be an important part of the teams future if he continues to develop well and the team has enough depth to ensure he doesn't need to be rushed into developing in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
I hope that Chips will be the player we wanted him to be, but he still got a lot to prove!
In the NHL, yes he does, I'd agree with you on that one. But to say that Lapierre is "way better" than Chipchura as a hockey player right now is to ingore what Kyle has accomplished and proven in his time in the professional ranks.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:15 AM
  #44
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Qui Gon Dave speaks. And you all should listen. The man has seen practically every Bulldogs game since, like, ever.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:22 AM
  #45
ed ible*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
I aint too worried about losing Chipchura in a trade..................The man isnt going anywheres..............Bob Gainey know Chips will shut you all up real soon.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:59 AM
  #46
Delat
Registered User
 
Delat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,146
vCash: 500
I think somebody like D'agostini might go, he is the type of guy who may go with Dandenault for a draft pick.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
  #47
BadKiwi
 
BadKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
I aint too worried about losing Chipchura in a trade..................The man isnt going anywheres..............Bob Gainey know Chips will shut you all up real soon.


Did you know Gainey has many similarities with Chipchura and that they both received same kind of critics being first round forward picks with defensive upsides? If someone can understand and support Chipchura it's Gainey.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:29 AM
  #48
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,599
vCash: 500
Chipchura is better than Lapierre 'cause Lapierre has no future as a centerman in this league. Lapierre on the wings could end up being more useful than Kostopoulos or even Bégin at one point.

It's going too fast for Lapierre in the NHL as far as the position of centerman is concerned.

Having said that, I would have love to see Chip in the same power skating school than Latendresse.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:16 AM
  #49
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,006
vCash: 500
seems like the little forwards , bob is moving out....

if bob makes a trade, it will be for a stud,

and i say a D man.

boumester in fla?????

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
  #50
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
seems like the little forwards , bob is moving out....

if bob makes a trade, it will be for a stud,

and i say a D man.

boumester in fla?????
Sing it with me now.

No cap room. (Provided we sign Sundin, if not, let's not trade for a D, but for a third C)

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.