HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rumor: Shanahan to Habs

Old
07-13-2008, 10:18 PM
fogducker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Rumor: Shanahan to Montreal...

Where has he signed
I'm just assuming he'll sign with Montreal based on that article.

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Shanahan, Selanne.. which other Golden Girl wants to play here next year?
Sundin is the Estelle Getty of the possible Golden Girls to play here!

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:20 PM
SonOfGom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
I would think so.. maybe Bob knows something we don't that's why he signed shanny
Reading comprehension is a valuable tool in today's modern world.

SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
Reading comprehension is a valuable tool in today's modern world.
That's pretty random but I lol'd

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Hm I cant say I disagree more. Why do we have to chose between Shanahan ( I refuse to give anyone a nick name until they are official habs property ) and Latendresse?
Read my last line... I never said we needed to choose between them... I said Shanny would be a good teacher for Latendresse. But if you read the whole post you would have seen that

I was responding to a poster who said basically... Sign Shanny, send lats to the AHL.

I said we should sign him, and let him teach Lats....

This is assuming we can't sign Sundin, cause i think its Sundin or Shanahan

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:31 PM
DrMailloux

Shanahan can drink somebody else milkshakes... we don't need him anymore... its just too late...

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
Shanahan can drink somebody else milkshakes... we don't need him anymore... its just too late...
I had the same feeling about him... but if Sundin isn't an option and if it's a one year deal (until Max Pac joins the big club) I wouldn't hate that signign. There's not much quality centers left.....

Andrei-Plekanec-Kovalev
Shanahan-Koivu-Tanguay
Latendresse-Higgins-Sergei
Kostopoulos-(Lapierre/Chips/Bégin)-Laraque

Not a bad line up IMO.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Read my last line... I never said we needed to choose between them... I said Shanny would be a good teacher for Latendresse. But if you read the whole post you would have seen that

I was responding to a poster who said basically... Sign Shanny, send lats to the AHL.

I said we should sign him, and let him teach Lats....

This is assuming we can't sign Sundin, cause i think its Sundin or Shanahan
Better make it Sundin?

Otherwise never mind then.

Old
07-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I had the same feeling about him... but if Sundin isn't an option and if it's a one year deal (until Max Pac joins the big club) I wouldn't hate that signign. There's not much quality centers left.....

Andrei-Plekanec-Kovalev
Shanahan-Koivu-Tanguay
Latendresse-Higgins-Sergei
Kostopoulos-(Lapierre/Chips/Bégin)-Laraque

Not a bad line up IMO.
That's the thing; from where we stand on the Sundin front, Shanahan is a drop off. However, in the real world which GM's operate, they have to explore every situation that fills a need. At this point in time, Shanahan does bring big body + leadership/veteran presence.

I agree it's not too bad when keeping a cool head, but I'm a star junkie, so I need my Sundin in a Habs jersey... Seriously, the Shanny thing could be a good move, one that represents a possible upgrade. I would hope that he's got something in the tank left, avoiding a Randy Mckay type fiasco - sorry Cheez.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Judge Sauer*

I'd say that he's two years too late, but I'll still welcome him on the team unless he becomes a negative influence on the team.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Ryulink

Maybe bob is going to trade Higgins+ for Bouwmeester.
So he will sign Shanahan to replace him. If Shanahan is willing to take a big pay cut we might still have enough to sign Sundin.
It would give something like this:

Tanguay Sundin Kovalev
S.Kost Plekanec A.Kost
Latendresse Koivu Shanahan
Kosto Lapierre/Chip laraque
begin

Markov Komi
Bouw Hamrlik
Gorges Obyrne
Bouillon

Ryulink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryulink View Post
Maybe bob is going to trade Higgins+ for Bouwmeester.
So he will sign Shanahan to replace him. If Shanahan is willing to take a big pay cut we might still have enough to sign Sundin.
It would give something like this:

Tanguay Sundin Kovalev
S.Kost Plekanec A.Kost
Latendresse Koivu Shanahan
Kosto Lapierre/Chip laraque
begin

Markov Komi
Bouw Hamrlik
Gorges Obyrne
Bouillon
Trade Higgins and it would bring Komisarek's game down a notch I think, or there would be no more purpose behind his hitting. Just some mindless drone, skating around running into things.

Old
07-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Ryulink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Trade Higgins and it would bring Komisarek's game down a notch I think, or there would be no more purpose behind his hitting. Just some mindless drone, skating around running into things.
Are Komi and Higgins married or something?!?! You think they cant perform if they are split? If Komi really cant perform during the whole season and series because Higgins got traded this summer he is weak... Also it mean it should be easy to force Komi to sign for cheap next season like we will for sure re-sign Higgins next season.

Ryulink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Guy Caballero

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:50 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

People complained we didn't have anyone that crashed the net in the playoffs... people also complained when we had to use Smolinski on the PP since he was one of our only right handed shots. I want Sundin very bad but if he doesn't come I wouldn't mind Shanahan at all, even though he is old and slow he'll do whatever it takes to win and with PP time and playing on the 3rd line he can still easily score 25 goals for us while providing solid leadership and stepping up his game in the playoffs.

Tanguay - Plekanec - Kovalev
Latendresse - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Shanahan - Higgins - S. Kostitsyn
Lapierre - Chipchura - Laraque

Looks pretty good to me... but Sundin would still look 100 times better

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
he can still easily score 25 goals for us while providing solid leadership and stepping up his game in the playoffs.

I hate to use past stats in an argument, but easily score 25 goals next season? Last year he struggled to score on pace for 25....and step up his game in the playoffs? He was next to invisible in the playoffs last year and it showed - 1 goal in 10 games. The only time you noticed him was when he was letting go a bomb from the point on the PP and even then it didn't look like the same Shanny shooting the puck..

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Teufelsdreck

I'm too tired to translate it without a dictionary. This is as much as I can make out unaided. I should have taken more than one semester of Russian.

Rangers veteran forward Brendan Shanahan career with Montreal Canadiens. Fourth period.

I didn't read the thread. Maybe someone has already translated it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Maximus Taylor

I honestly can't wait for the season to start.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryulink View Post
Are Komi and Higgins married or something?!?! You think they cant perform if they are split? If Komi really cant perform during the whole season and series because Higgins got traded this summer he is weak... Also it mean it should be easy to force Komi to sign for cheap next season like we will for sure re-sign Higgins next season.

Gainey broke up the Three Amigos--for good reason. He could split Higgins and Komisarek to make a beneficial trade but he isn't forced to trade one or the other because of a bad influence on the team. No scandals, no criminal relatives. They come from solid, respectable families, and both have attended universities and will probably get their degrees eventually. Every mention of the Three Amigos makes me think of lice.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Gainey broke up the Three Amigos--for good reason. He could split Higgins and Komisarek to make a beneficial trade but he isn't forced to trade one or the other because of a bad influence on the team. No scandals, no criminal relatives. They come from solid, respectable families, and both have attended universities and will probably get their degrees eventually. Every mention of the Three Amigos makes me think of lice.
I am inclined to think the media dubbed "Three Amigos" would still be on the team if they maintained/hit their strides. If Theodore maintained Vezina quality goaltending, if Ribeiro hit 30g/85 point status with the Habs. Of course they didn't so they were traded -- but if they did, I'm sure their media-inflated "attitude" would've been tolerated for the sake of their high skill level. But alas, it wasn't meant to be in a Habs uni, maybe in another life..

But back to Higgins/Komi: something makes me think if they were split up they'd be somewhat upset and POSSIBLY their play would suffer as a result. We know they are close close friends all year round, you can't deny there would be at least a bit of disappointed within the souls of either player if their good friend was shipped off. Maybe it would subside, maybe it wouldn't. I'm inclined to think it would, but they are both such amazing players for the Habs, 2-way offensive threat and perennial shot-block/hit contender...why ship them off for anything less than an impact player anyway?

And back to the original topic...I'm in the boat as alot of Habs fans. Please no Shanny - not now. There's a chance he might help us but there's a greater chance he might turn out to be dead wood. I'd rather see Chips get a shot in the NHL and Laraque play a great majority of games than see Shanny possibly struggle to crack the 20g barrier

Old
07-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
But back to Higgins/Komi: something makes me think if they were split up they'd be somewhat upset and POSSIBLY their play would suffer as a result. We know they are close close friends all year round, you can't deny there would be at least a bit of disappointed within the souls of either player if their good friend was shipped off. Maybe it would subside, maybe it wouldn't. I'm inclined to think it would, but they are both such amazing players for the Habs, 2-way offensive threat and perennial shot-block/hit contender...why ship them off for anything less than an impact player anyway?
Big deal this isn't a soap opera...this is a damn business. Koivu and Recchi were good friends too...but that didn't stop them from shipping Recchi off.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:46 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I'd love Shanny if it was an incentive deal (especially if we still got Sundin).

Sign Shanny to a cheap deal ($1M) with incentives.

Move out Bouillon, Dandenault, and Begin.

Give the final forward spot to Milroy.

Re-sign Brisebois. Give the #6 D-Man spot to Valentenko or Carle, if either is ready. If not, use Brisebois and Henry in that spot.

A. Kostitsyn ($3.25M) - Plekanec ($1.6M) - Kovalev ($4.5M)
Tanguay ($5.25M) - Sundin ($8M) - S. Kost ($1M)
Higgins ($1.7M) - Koivu ($4.75M) - Shanahan ($1M)
Latendresse ($1M) - Lapierre ($.075M) - Laraque ($1.5M)
Milroy ($.5), Chipchura ($1M)

Markov ($5.75M) - Komisarek ($1.7M)
Hamrlik ($5.5M) - Brisebois ($.75M)
Gorges ($1.1M) - O'Byrne ($.75M)
Henry ($.75M)

Price ($2.5M)
Halak ($1M)

* Lines aren't to scale. Just putting players on the in the blanks.

Would this be awesome or what?!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Big deal this isn't a soap opera...this is a damn business. Koivu and Recchi were good friends too...but that didn't stop them from shipping Recchi off.
Hey I'm not saying either player is untouchable - but we DO have a better GM than we did when Recchi was shipped. All I'm saying is they both serve their purposes quite well, and it's great they are good friends to boot. NY kids living their dreams in MTL.... if it were up to them, I'm sure they'd never leave the Habs for as long as they are together. Might sound sound silly, and I might be way off, but that's just my impression. If I'm wrong, I still doubt they'd leave the Habs on their own accord - look at how much they seem to love the city and the fans. On that note, anything is possible and we are debating nothing we will ever truly know -- that's why I sort of hate offseason; a bunch of people debating things nobody could ever know for sure

Old
07-14-2008, 01:05 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
If hypothetically speaking Shanny does want to come here, it would be a gamble. hes way passed his prime and him on the 1st line with Sundin (if he signs) is a huge risk.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:11 AM
TheAntiprice*

I'm pretty sure these "incentives" some of you are speakin of, will still count against the cap...

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote