HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Was Drury a bad signing?

Old
07-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Hockey2000nyr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post

Do read that Vinny Leclavalier just got resigned for almost the same CHRIS DRURY makes right? LOL that just makes me LOL LOL LOL all over at the management that runs this team. People laughed thier ass off at TB management, and ours is thought of to be smart? Ya I get we got Chris as a UFA and Vinny just resigned with the team he won a cup with and drafted him. I got that. But the question of this thread is the Drury signing a bad one, I don't see how anyone can say it wasn't. Good player to sign, terrible contract to give.
yea hes making 10 million his first 6 years then hes going down to 1 million in his last year, its over a period of 11 years, so his cap hit is 7.5 million, yet hes really making more then that in his first 5-6 years. so in the next 4 years lecavalier will be making 40 million whereas drury will make 28, theres a difference there, and yes vinny gave the lightning a home-town discount and also he gave them a little help with cap relief by giving up money towards the end of his contract to make the average salary less(cap hit)

Quote:
Lecavalier will earn $10-million per season in salary and bonuses for the first six seasons of the deal, before dropping to $8.5-million in 2016-2017, $4-million in 2017-2018, $1.5-million in 2018-2019 and $1-million and 2019-2020..
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2432...headlines_main

Last edited by Hockey2000nyr: 07-13-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: to clear up contract: link
Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:44 PM
NYR Viper

i honeslty want to know how many people watched drury play in buffalo?......

he didnt play with many good players.....he played with players like grier, gaustad and mair......he was a HUGE part of their specialty teams and was consistently the forward with the most TOI......

also, by the way many people here are speaking how many people actually watched the fricken games this season?.....
1) at the beginning of the season drury was being bounced around from wing(on the 1st line....playing jagrs style) to the 3rd line center and playing close to 25 minutes a night......too many minutes for him to play night after night when a lot of those minutes are on the pk where he has to put forth the most effort and energy
2) who exactly did he play with last season?.....callahan(who was demoted), prucha(horrible season), dawes(half of the season), sjostrom(for a few games), shanahan(too slow)......honestly...considering he got off to such a slow start getting used to seeing a new player on his line everyday on a new team......
3) considering he scores a lot of his points on the pp, and that the pp was utterly horrible last season, i would say he could put up 35 goals next season....no problem if the pp improves, which i think it will with naslund, zherdev and redden added to the mix......

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:01 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
This is the same line of crap I heard when we overpaid that turd from NJ (Holik not Gomez). Blah blah blah he brings intangibles, blah blah blah he's a leader. I'm not saying he's not a good player, just like with Holik, both good players and the roles they fill. But i'm sorry I didn't think Holik was worth that without a NTC before the cap. Now Drury has a NTC and makes almost the same WITH A CAP.

Man this franchise just REFUSES to learn from it's past mistakes. Seriously, how different is Drury and Holik in the game they play also? I know Holik is older now but i'm saying at the time we signed him. Holik on this team didn't work what makes me think Drury will have any other outcome? Do read that Vinny Leclavalier just got resigned for almost the same CHRIS DRURY makes right? LOL that just makes me LOL LOL LOL all over at the management that runs this team. People laughed thier ass off at TB management, and ours is thought of to be smart? Ya I get we got Chris as a UFA and Vinny just resigned with the team he won a cup with and drafted him. I got that. But the question of this thread is the Drury signing a bad one, I don't see how anyone can say it wasn't. Good player to sign, terrible contract to give.
C'on...your not really trying to compare the Holik with Drury?

Holik is crap, that was crap from the start. Drury is overpaid but hes a bunch better player then Holik ever was. You want a cup, Drury is the perfect player you want leading you (and I mean REALISTICALLY, please dont bring up..Oh hes not Joe Sakic, or Lidstrom, because we all know that, hes not a top 10 player of all time).

Everyone admits it was a bad contract, but in the long run, we have a true captains captain. Something every teams wishes they had, and most do not.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
Over 7mm a year, for a guy who should either be our third line center or second line winger. He has never topped 70 points in a season. Who would you rather have, Drury at 7 mil or Avery at 4 mil?

The best defense of the Drury signing I can think of is that our organization was totally bereft of centers, and it probably would still be a weak spot until Artem A is ready.
Said it at the time of the signing, will say it now:

Will NYR win a Cup(s) during the course of his contract?

If so, it is worth every penny. For that is why he was brought there, along with Gomez, and the likes of Nylander were let go. You will never win a Cup with the latter as a top six forward. Drury and Gomez are expected to be big contributors in delivering one.

That is what Drury is geting paid for, not to fill the personal offensive stat sheet. That, at least, is certainly is not the primary reason.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:52 AM
+73*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
And your reasoning behind Dubi as the 2nd line center is.. what?
This coming from the guy who thinks Nigel Dawes should be a 1st-line LW.
I get awfully tired coming across post after post of you demanding explanations from other posters. Your "contributions" are nothing short of a bunch of reactionary b.s.

Welcome to my ignore list, Skippy.

+73* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:55 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Drury is absolutely without a doubt overpaid, but he's one of those guys who brings intangibles that are actually valuable. I agree with whoever said that he'll remain a Ranger after this contract expires.

I have much less of a problem with his contract than with Gomez's. It's not that Gomez is a bad player, it's just that if you're going to pay 7 million to a player, and they did this a year ago when that figure had a little more value than it does now, it should be a true gamebreak.

Gomez is not a franchise player. Gomez is a glorified second line center with no intangibles. He's surpassed 20 goals in his career ONCE and 70 points once, as well. For someone who scores so few goals to warrant a contract as bloated as his, he should bring more than just his 50 assists.

Signing them both, though, makes it a lot worse than if it was just one.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
Over 7mm a year, for a guy who should either be our third line center or second line winger. He has never topped 70 points in a season. Who would you rather have, Drury at 7 mil or Avery at 4 mil?

The best defense of the Drury signing I can think of is that our organization was totally bereft of centers, and it probably would still be a weak spot until Artem A is ready.
On a scale, more like "below avg" then bad...

Like he is defenitly worth 5m considering we got him from the UFA market, IE added a player we had not brought up yourself. You always overpay for them.

And getting a player who defenitly is worth 5m for 7m isn't that bad, we are overpaying with like 2m. If you look around the league there is plenty of UFA's signed who ends up making zero sense. Like a Derian Hatcher, Mattias Norström or Ed Jovanovski -- with thoose types you are basically paying 5-6m per for players that your team would be better without.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:03 AM
+73*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
On a scale, more like "below avg" then bad...

Like he is defenitly worth 5m considering we got him from the UFA market, IE added a player we had not brought up yourself. You always overpay for them.

And getting a player who defenitly is worth 5m for 7m isn't that bad, we are overpaying with like 2m. If you look around the league there is plenty of UFA's signed who ends up making zero sense. Like a Derian Hatcher, Mattias Norström or Ed Jovanovski -- with thoose types you are basically paying 5-6m per for players that your team would be better without.

i'm trying to think of 3 examples [league-wide] of big-ticket UFA signings in the last 10 years that truly paid off... (paid off= largely responsible for a team getting to the SCF or winning it outright).
and by UFA i'm referring to one that changed teams, not re-signings.

+73* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Definitely rather have Drury at $7MM then Avery at $4MM - Avery is worth nowhere near what he got.

Drury's intangibles alone make him an extremely valuable player, Drury going down to block a shot with 2 minutes in a crucial game situation being paid $7MM is a lot better than Sean Avery at $4MM slashing someone with 2 minutes left in a game that we're down by one goal and ultimately ruining the chance of a comeback.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:20 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by +73 View Post
i'm trying to think of 3 examples [league-wide] of big-ticket UFA signings in the last 10 years that truly paid off... (paid off= largely responsible for a team getting to the SCF or winning it outright).
selanne, pronger(trade), rafalski, st. louis

Old
07-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Nich

no he wasn't

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:25 AM
dank

also.. most times you don't HAVE the choice..

i.e. Drury at $4m or $7m.. it's Drury at $7m or no Drury..

most people don't get that..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
This coming from the guy who thinks Nigel Dawes should be a 1st-line LW.
I get awfully tired coming across post after post of you demanding explanations from other posters. Your "contributions" are nothing short of a bunch of reactionary b.s.

Welcome to my ignore list, Skippy.
I don't get it, why am I the one that always attracts the idiots?

"Hey, I'm gonna call you out and then add you to my ignore list so I don't have to read your response."

Seriously tough guy, I'm hurt. Really.

I also enjoyed the ridiculous PM that informed me I should "jump off a fricken bridge already" and I am "hands down the single-most annoying A-hole on this site."

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Ola

Quote:
Yeah, but I think that like Chara defenitly is worth it. He got Boston into the PO's, and you can't develop players without beeing a good team. Thats impossible. Sheitty teams will always wreck allot of prospects. Look at how Florida and STL for example have developed the young D's they have drafted through the years.

Its extremely hard for a puckmoving D to develop on a poor team. Its allot easier for a team that got a solid platform to develop good players.

So in that context many UFA's are still worth it if they make their team better. But there is plenty of UFA's signed who I think its doubtful if they don't hurt their team instead.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:58 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
I'll take Chris Drury on my team any day, regardless of how overpaid he may be. The guy is likely to be our captain for the foreseeable future, and I'm thrilled about that.
would u rather holik get the money?? great leader and great person let me tell u, hes garbage. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY...I AGREE WITH THIS QUOTE HERE. he is a leader and a proven winner. i was blindsided by this signing last year, and ok he doesnt score 100 points but if theres anyone in the nhl who u'd want on ur team, its this guy right here.

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
would u rather holik get the money?? great leader and great person let me tell u, hes garbage. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY...I AGREE WITH THIS QUOTE HERE. he is a leader and a proven winner. i was blindsided by this signing last year, and ok he doesnt score 100 points but if theres anyone in the nhl who u'd want on ur team, its this guy right here.
I can think of 50 players (easily) I'd rather have but we all have differing opinions of the relative worth of players.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Fletch

If Drury switches to wing..

I'll be asking why this team didn't find an elite winger for that kind of money...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Rags225

yeah this was a bad signing... especially the NMC. he can't even be bought out. would rather have passed on signing Drury last offseason and gotten Gomez and Nylander. Even Nylander for 4 yrs would have been better than Drury for 5 especially if we frontloaded Nylanders contract and than bought him out before the last year (or two). Plus than we would still have an elite player on the team in Jagr. there really is no way to see this as a great signing for "intangibles".... Avery had plenty of intangibles as well but obviously they weren't worth $4mil a year contract, but for drury's intangibles he is worth $7m. I just don't understand the logic. Neither player is worth those amounts. Although Avery is closer as he is only $1mil overpaid while drury is $2-3 mil overpaid.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:10 PM
NYR Viper

nylander....the same player who got what?.....5 million a season until he is 40?......the same player who was consistently hurt during his career.....the player who didnt shoot the puck ever and was made by jagr(who BTW, isnt here anymore)......avery's intangibles can be taught, or found for cheap....drury's are a lot harder to find in a 31 y/o.........

Old
07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
TomLaidlaw

Good player and I'm glad he is on our team. However, his salary is pretty gruesome and hard to defend.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:37 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
C'on...your not really trying to compare the Holik with Drury?

Holik is crap, that was crap from the start. Drury is overpaid but hes a bunch better player then Holik ever was. You want a cup, Drury is the perfect player you want leading you (and I mean REALISTICALLY, please dont bring up..Oh hes not Joe Sakic, or Lidstrom, because we all know that, hes not a top 10 player of all time).

Everyone admits it was a bad contract, but in the long run, we have a true captains captain. Something every teams wishes they had, and most do not.
Why do you sound so irritated? I think it is because he made a fare comparison.
And because of the fact that Drury is not necessary better. I guess that made you so upset.

Drury is a great player. Bobby Holik was as good or even better. We, however, did not need one or the other. Holik was one of the main reason we were out of playoffs for so long.
You cannot hand the 1st line contract to 3rd liner. It is not about money, it is about the fact that in most cases it ruins your team. Don't get me wrong. Holik did not ruin Rangers. But his contract did. Same with Drury. The only way to fix it would be to sign 1st line centre @ 8.5 million or so. Sundin is not the answer, but. Sather may do it, if he wants to undo Drury signing somehow.
As for captaincy, 3rd liner is rarely a good Captain. It could be defenseman, forward or goalie, but it must be the best player of its craft (or was like Messier or even Shanny). 3C is never the best forward. Lundqvist could be our Captain easily.

Last edited by 94now: 07-14-2008 at 12:43 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Celestial Black

It's simple really the signing was good but the contract/$$$ was bad.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
nylander....the same player who got what?.....5 million a season until he is 40?......the same player who was consistently hurt during his career.....the player who didnt shoot the puck ever and was made by jagr(who BTW, isnt here anymore)......avery's intangibles can be taught, or found for cheap....drury's are a lot harder to find in a 31 y/o.........
Still his contract was better than Drury. and if you read my post it says that we could have bought him out.

he is not consistently hurt. he was hurt two season's w/ a major injury in the last 7 years. other wise he has only missed 6 games the other 5 seasons. Only 4 in his two seasons in NY.

his last year in NY compared to Drury's first here.

Nylander 26 goals on 193 shots
Drury 25 goals on 220 shots.

Plus he was amazing at the SO. And he ran the PP. Not Jagr. Nylander ran the entire PP. He controlled the puck, created lanes and dished it off. Drury doesn't do that. he was still good on FO's as well. Plus he made people on the ice better w/ his good passing. Drury doesn't really make anybody on the ice better offensively.

Sorry but I would rather have taken Nylanders 4 yr $5mil contract (w/o a NMC so he could be traded especially to a team needing to make the cap floor), who will keep Jagr playing here at a high level, than Drury for 5 yrs @ $7mil w/ a NMC just because of his defense and leadership. If I want to spend $7mil a season for defense, I would do it on a defenseman not a forward.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why do you sound so irritated? I think it is because he made a fare comparison.
And because of the fact that Drury is not necessary better. I guess that made you so upset.

Drury is a great player. Bobby Holik was as good or even better. We, however, did not need one or the other. Holik was one of the main reason we were out of playoffs for so long.
You cannot hand the 1st line contract to 3rd liner. It is not about money, it is about the fact that in most cases it ruins your team. Don't get me wrong. Holik did not ruin Rangers. But his contract did. Same with Drury. The only way to fix it would be to sign 1st line centre @ 8.5 million or so. Sundin is not the answer, but. Sather may do it, if he wants to undo Drury signing somehow.
As for captaincy, 3rd liner is rarely a good Captain. It could be defenseman, forward or goalie, but it must be the best player of its craft (or was like Messier or even Shanny). 3C is never the best forward. Lundqvist could be our Captain easily.
that couldnt be firther from the truth......

also, drury isnt a 3rd line center.....on this team he is a 1b center.....

honestly have you sat down and watched drury the past 3-4 years?.......because it doesnt sound like it.......the captain should be someone who is on the ice and respected...drury is that.....he plays on most pk's and all the pp's and most important faceoffs.....how is it that he is the third line center?.......he might have to take a shift off because he shouldnt be playing 30 minutes a game but he definately is not the third line center

Old
07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Chris 84

Overpaid? Yes
Our best forward? Probably.

I'd say he's a good signing.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote