HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitch extended

Old
07-12-2008, 02:30 PM
section 204

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
You know, I really believe I've articulated my position and beliefs on the actuality and situation this team and roster are in. I'm not up for endlessly repeating myself for no reason. I am perfectly happy to allow you to have your personal bent on any question or matter so long as I don't see you perpetuating falsehoods. So unless you have a specific question/complaint that I can address I'm not going over the big-picture generalities again.
I'm still confused about your argument, and you're ignoring the fact that you misunderstood and misquoted my initial question(s)... You are saying that the Jackets ARE rebuilding (though I'm not sure what was there before that must now be "re"built), but that the coach, GM, and I guess others are lying about whether or not it is a rebuild, and you don't think that is worth discussion because...?

Let me be specific: outside of the opinion that this team is not as good as it's being sold, do you have any "specific" evidence of a conspiracy over at Nationwide?

section 204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:36 PM
section 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
Sorry for the long winded post, but Im just confused that anyone is confused about the message of how we are going about building the team. I can see disagreeing with the actions, but not the message, it seems clear and consisent ?
Amen! The message is clear - you win from the goal line out, competing every night. They believe that we got better this offseason no matter how many people on the web disagree.

Old
07-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
I'm still confused about your argument, and you're ignoring the fact that you misunderstood and misquoted my initial question(s)... You are saying that the Jackets ARE rebuilding (though I'm not sure what was there before that must now be "re"built), but that the coach, GM, and I guess others are lying about whether or not it is a rebuild, and you don't think that is worth discussion because...?

Let me be specific: outside of the opinion that this team is not as good as it's being sold, do you have any "specific" evidence of a conspiracy over at Nationwide?
What is your malfunction? I've answered ALL your questions ... and since you addressed me personally in your initial post and made it quite clear I was to be the only "specified" person who you were tossing the "disingenuous" and "attacking" accusations at ... why are you mystified that I TOOK the accusations to be personal and applied to me?

I didn't say Hitch or Howson was "lying" ... at most I said managements message about who this team was and the direction offseason acquisitions would take (the refrain from before the season ended right up to the beginning stages of free agency was "pp qb" "puck moving dman" "elite center for Nash") is muddled and very different NOW - all the talk about improved toughness and the only significant additions to defense being defensive defensemen, the addition of grit and size.

You don't see that the message has changed significantly since our failures in landing elite FA's with offensive skill? Well ... you know, I'll just have to learn to live you not seeing what I see. I'm pretty sure I'm over it already ... so, no worries.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 03:09 PM
section 204

Quote:
Yes, the truth often hurts. However, is it not exceedingly unfair to the players, the fans, the people reporting on the team (and the coach and the GM for that matter) - to perpetuate untruths by perpetuating unrealistic expectations of performance?

I've already stated that I don't think the new roster "improves" the team for next season. The moves (in my estimation) only make sense if the reasoning behind making the particular changes we did is as follows: We are in full "re-build" mode. AND A FURTHER admission is necessary. An admission that the rebuild is going to be slow and painful because we now have to not only "harvest" our own star players (as established elite FAs have no interest in signing here) ... we have to re plow the fields, re plant the seedlings, tend to the seedlings nurturing, and then pray for good weather.

It may hurt, and the fans aren't going to like hearing it - but, it's the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free. ( errrm... so I'm told. )
Isn't this you saying that they are rebuilding, but that they're not telling the truth?

Quote:
What is your malfunction? I've answered ALL your questions ... and since you addressed me personally in your initial post and made it quite clear I was to be the only "specified" person who you were tossing the "disingenuous" and "attacking" accusations at ... why are you mystified that I TOOK the accusations to be personal and applied to me?
Wow - a malfunction... in reading back through, I'm yet to find your answer. Seriously man, not trying to cause trouble, trying to have Blue Jackets hockey talk, and the original question was, "Why do you think that the Jackets' brass is being disingenuous?" - I never even hinted that you were being disingenuous, nor do I even want to be engaged in that kind of talk - I think that it distracts from time spent talking about the Jackets - just go read the original.

Quote:
I didn't say Hitch or Howson was "lying" ... at most I said management's message about who this team was and the direction offseason acquisitions would take (the refrain from before the season ended right up to the beginning stages of free agency was "pp qb" "puck moving dman" "elite center for Nash") is muddled and very different NOW - all the talk about improved toughness and the only significant additions to defense being defensive defensemen, the addition of grit and size.
Man, if they need to tell the truth, then you're saying that they're lying. Personally, I can't find any quote from Howson where he promised those specific things (which is what I am asking you for) where did he say this? Not to attack you, because I want to see what was promised for myself. I've been through plenty of Q&A's and I remember being promised significant activity, and the top needs were center and defense, but I can't pinpoint any quote that's so specific to pin Howson into this corner.

Quote:
You don't see that the message has changed significantly since our failures in landing elite FA's with offensive skill? Well ... you know, I'll just have to learn to live you not seeing what I see. I'm pretty sure I'm over it already ... so, no worries.
I've paid close attention as my wife and I constantly debate how to spend our entertainment money, and I've heard nothing from Hitch since he got here except that this team will start to win when they are stronger from the goal line out. That's how they think that they're going to win games.

Seriously man, relax, not every one on here is out to get you, some just want to have a conversation.

Old
07-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
Isn't this you saying that they are rebuilding, but that they're not telling the truth?

Wow - a malfunction... in reading back through, I'm yet to find your answer. Seriously man, not trying to cause trouble, trying to have Blue Jackets hockey talk, and the original question was, "Why do you think that the Jackets' brass is being disingenuous?" - I never even hinted that you were being disingenuous, nor do I even want to be engaged in that kind of talk - I think that it distracts from time spent talking about the Jackets - just go read the original.

Man, if they need to tell the truth, then you're saying that they're lying. Personally, I can't find any quote from Howson where he promised those specific things (which is what I am asking you for) where did he say this? Not to attack you, because I want to see what was promised for myself. I've been through plenty of Q&A's and I remember being promised significant activity, and the top needs were center and defense, but I can't pinpoint any quote that's so specific to pin Howson into this corner.

I've paid close attention as my wife and I constantly debate how to spend our entertainment money, and I've heard nothing from Hitch since he got here except that this team will start to win when they are stronger from the goal line out. That's how they think that they're going to win games.

Seriously man, relax, not every one on here is out to get you, some just want to have a conversation.
Look, woman (yeah, I gather you're not a woman, but then neither am I a man - and had you accurately read my posts in THIS thread alone, you'd know that. Unless, you're like Macster and just call everyone Man? ... but I haven't noticed you doing that so...), I'm not the one jabbering endlessly at other posters that my questions to them are not being adequately addressed in response. I'm completely comfortable with EVERYTHING *I* have posted ... I've explained my positions and if you can't understand my reasoning - you can't.

When you hang around and participate in a dedicated message board such as this one ... there are certain bits of information that are noted/discussed/referred to so many times that this information enters into a "common knowledge" possessed by the forum and it's members. Howson and Hitch are (according to Howson) completely on the "same page." So, if anything Howson has pinned himself to whatever and wherever Hitch is pinned.

There are many kinds of lies ... bald faced lies, white lies, whoppers, lies of omission, falsehoods, inaccuracies left in the record that knowingly go uncorrected... The problem is that you are putting words in my mouth and then asking *me* what I meant when *you* said them. My answer to you has been: I don't know what I meant by your words. Capiche?

Last edited by Pluckfur: 07-12-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old
07-12-2008, 09:57 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

It was best told in your email to Bob McKenzie...

Quote:
There are many kinds of lies ... bald faced lies, Capiche?
I am woman hear me roar!! I always thought that phrase was Bold faced lies..

learning something every day on Hfboards. This is the projected team with heights, weights ages... notice any common thread?

Nash 6'4"218 24 - Umberger 6'2" 200 26 - Huselius 6'1"180 29
Modin 6'4" 217 33 - Brassard 6' 180 20 - Voracek 6'1" 18
Chimera 6'2" 216 29 - Peca 5'11" 180 34 - Torres 6' 215 26
Murray 6'2" 210 26 - Malhotra 6'2" 217 28 - Boll 6'2" 206 22
Novotny 6'3" 210 24

Tyutin 6'3" 210 24 - Klesla 6'3" 220 26
Hejda 6'3" 225 30 - Commodore 6'5" 230 28
Backman 6'4" 210 28- Tollefsen 6'2" 211 24
Rome 6' 204 24
Methot 6'2" 205 23
Wilson, Russell....

Leclaire
Norrena

Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 07-12-2008 at 10:16 PM.
LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:22 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

There's too many women on this board....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I am woman hear me roar!! I always thought that phrase was Bold faced lies..

learning something every day on Hfboards. This is the projected team with heights, weights ages... notice any common thread?

Nash 6'4"218 24 - Umberger 6'2" 200 26 - Huselius 6'1"180 29
Modin 6'4" 217 33 - Brassard 6' 180 20 - Voracek 6'1" 18
Chimera 6'2" 216 29 - Peca 5'11" 180 34 - Torres 6' 215 26
Murray 6'2" 210 26 - Malhotra 6'2" 217 28 - Boll 6'2" 206 22
Novotny 6'3" 210 24

Tyutin 6'3" 210 24 - Klesla 6'3" 220 26
Hejda 6'3" 225 30 - Commodore 6'5" 230 28
Backman 6'4" 210 28- Tollefsen 6'2" 211 24
Rome 6' 204 24
Methot 6'2" 205 23
Wilson, Russell....

Leclaire
Norrena
Dude, I like you ... but what are you talking about? e-mail to my good bud Bob? who told you that? they lied. no, didn't PM him either so I've really no idea what you're saying.

bald-faced lie ... i didn't hyphenate the phrase and I should have. bald-faced lie is proper usage (bold faced lie may also be correct, i dunno.) pfft.

Why are you listing the roster size? ?

and, if you think Manny Malhotra is 6'2 217 ... you've got another thing coming...

Old
07-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
There's too many women on this board....

There aren't enough. Noooo way are there enough.

Old
07-13-2008, 12:50 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
Just a point concerning where the offense will come from this year. I heard this from Hitch earlier this week and wanted to do some research to see the numbers for myself.

Offensively we have replaced Zherdev/Brule/Fritsche with RJ/Huselieus/Torres.

Over the past 3 years:

Zherdev/Brule/Fritsche= 241 pts or 80 pts/season
RJ/Huselius/Torres= 391 pts or 130 pts/season

Net gain + 50 pts/yr

Over the past 2 years:

Z/Brule/Fritsche= 170 pts or 85 pts/season
RJ/Huselius/Torres = 266 pts or 133 pts/season

Net gain + 48 pts/yr

What we have done here is traded potential for proven results. While the upside potential is probably still higher for Z/Brule, management has decided they need experience (and relatively young guys, at that) rather than potential, all the while still having plenty or potential coming up in Brassard/Voratek/Filatov.
Umberger and Torres did not play about 8-10 minutes (Brulé) or about 11-12 minutes (Fritsche) etc. Both of them played in more offensive teams than Columbus. Huselius played with Iginla and Langkow (he had more points than Rick Nash and I do not think he is better) and Nikolaj Žerdev played with Peca/Novotný and Chimera in defensive teams. It is not right statistic.
-----
I think our defense is slow and not very flexible. Speed players will not problems with it. I prefer Rome and Russell before Commodore and Backman. I hope Hitch will make with it.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I think our defense is slow and not very flexible. Speed players will not problems with it. I prefer Rome and Russell before Commodore and Backman. I hope Hitch will make with it.
That's one thing I've thought of that no one else has mentioned yet. The defense is not fast by any means of the word. Commodore is really slow, Klesla is as molasses. Tyutin and Backman I'm not sure of. But regardless the defense as a whole is slower than most. The transition game will be a problem, and there's still nobody to run the power play.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:33 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
That's one thing I've thought of that no one else has mentioned yet. The defense is not fast by any means of the word. Commodore is really slow, Klesla is as molasses. Tyutin and Backman I'm not sure of. But regardless the defense as a whole is slower than most. The transition game will be a problem, and there's still nobody to run the power play.
I think Ťjutin is good. Yes, the power-play. Who? Backman? No. I hope Russell can be good but he is alone. Maybe Ťjutin. He played the power play in Russian repre.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Load up Celery Man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Dude, I like you ... but what are you talking about? e-mail to my good bud Bob? who told you that? they lied. no, didn't PM him either so I've really no idea what you're saying.

bald-faced lie ... i didn't hyphenate the phrase and I should have. bald-faced lie is proper usage (bold faced lie may also be correct, i dunno.) pfft.

Why are you listing the roster size? ?

and, if you think Manny Malhotra is 6'2 217 ... you've got another thing coming...
Wiki says he's 6'2, 215, HockeyDb says he's 6'2 210...Not much of a difference...

Cyborg Yzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
Wiki says he's 6'2, 215, HockeyDb says he's 6'2 210...Not much of a difference...
And you believe ANY public source that lists players heights and weights?

I know I can't be the only person here? who's met Manny and his wife (all of us in street clothes and no skates) who knows MM isn't 6'2 217, not 6'2 215, not 6'2 210.

But, if you choose to believe a "database" over me ... I'll see if I can't get you signed up for "another thing coming..." to be delivered just after GoJackets gets his

hmf.

Old
07-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Maybe he's 6'2, 215 with his skates and all his pads on??

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:37 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Maybe he's 6'2, 215 with his skates and all his pads on??
that's always how I've figured they do it ... oh, in Manny's case... skates/pads/soaking wet. ... oh, and before a game, not after

Old
07-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
It would prove a point if we would be playing with the same rules. Offensive teams are winning now with the new rules, opposite to what we had before the lockout.
Not really. Detroit is the best defensive team in hockey. Anaheim, while they did have skill, they won with goaltending and a great defense, and also pugnaciousness. If you fail to see that, then there is nothing I can do.

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:51 AM
cbj21

Quote:
And you believe ANY public source that lists players heights and weights?

I know I can't be the only person here? who's met Manny and his wife (all of us in street clothes and no skates) who knows MM isn't 6'2 217, not 6'2 215, not 6'2 210.

But, if you choose to believe a "database" over me ... I'll see if I can't get you signed up for "another thing coming..." to be delivered just after GoJackets gets his

hmf.
lol and whats your personal measures on him?

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:33 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Umberger and Torres did not play about 8-10 minutes (Brulé) or about 11-12 minutes (Fritsche) etc. Both of them played in more offensive teams than Columbus. Huselius played with Iginla and Langkow (he had more points than Rick Nash and I do not think he is better) and Nikolaj Žerdev played with Peca/Novotný and Chimera in defensive teams. It is not right statistic..
Torres
2003-2004 EDM 80 20 14 34 12 65 136 14.7 5 1 0 0 3 1 12:38 29:44
2005-2006 EDM 82 27 14 41 4 50 164 16.5 6 5 0 0 3 -- 13:24 26:47

RJ
2005-2006 PHI 73 20 18 38 9 18 138 14.5 5 4 0 0 2 13:14 25:24

Oh, and RJ's stats with 13 minutes a night was played with none other then Hitch as the coach.

Fritsche
2006-2007 CLS 59 12 15 27 3 35 81 14.8 5 3 1 0 4 -- 14:02 30:4

Seriously, give it a rest. Brule and Fritsche didn't perform, last year, plain and simple. Fritsche had a better year, under Hitch, in 2006/7, then 2008/9.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:54 AM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:
Umberger and Torres did not play about 8-10 minutes (Brulé) or about 11-12 minutes (Fritsche) etc. Both of them played in more offensive teams than Columbus. Huselius played with Iginla and Langkow (he had more points than Rick Nash and I do not think he is better) and Nikolaj Žerdev played with Peca/Novotný and Chimera in defensive teams. It is not right statistic.
-----
My major point in this comparison was just to show that we are weaker offensively than before. We've traded potential with higher upside for proven results. We are counting of the skills of Brassard/Voracek to add more still to the mix. And btw, mt-svk, they both looked great at prospect camp this week.

Interesting comparison of TOI, blah-blah. I wouldn't have guessed. I was just going to respond that NHL TOI is earned, and if you produce you will get more TOI....

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:29 AM
errey21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
lol and whats your personal measures on him?
Im with Pluck on the Manny stats.

Ive met many of the players in person over the years at autograph signings or after practices for autographs. Its harder to tell how big they really are after practices since their still in thier gear. Of the players listed that Ive met in person I would say....

Nash, Modin, Chimera are close enough not to argue.

Manny goes 6' maybe 6'1"" and 200 at best.
Boll goes 6' but the weight is right
Klelsa is maybe 6'1 or 6'2 and 215, maybe
Tollefson is at best 6'. I would say 5'11" and 210

My guesses are based on me being 5'11" and who I look in the eye when I meet them and who I got to look up to and how far. Im also 205/210 myself and over the years felt I was bigger then most of our team, maybe not anymore, but in those first few years, man, we were tiny.

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:39 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
My major point in this comparison was just to show that we are weaker offensively than before. We've traded potential with higher upside for proven results. We are counting of the skills of Brassard/Voracek to add more still to the mix. And btw, mt-svk, they both looked great at prospect camp this week.

Interesting comparison of TOI, blah-blah. I wouldn't have guessed. I was just going to respond that NHL TOI is earned, and if you produce you will get more TOI....
They should, they played against "prospects". I wasnt as impressed as I hoped to of been considering the talent they were playing against for 2 guys almost being given a roster spot

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyRules
Not really. Detroit is the best defensive team in hockey. Anaheim, while they did have skill, they won with goaltending and a great defense, and also pugnaciousness. If you fail to see that, then there is nothing I can do.
Altough you are trying to edit your words to sound superior (the last sentence mainly) against my comments, I'm still going to reply. You are completely missing the point what is an offensive and defensive team. Jackets are defensive, flat out. Oilers are defensive. But Detroit (and Pittsburgh) win because they are great with their offensive plays. Yes, they have a great defence too, but still especially two last Cup winners have been the most offensive teams in the league. You can't really deny that. But as you said, there is nothing you can do to make me understand (I'm dumb) so let's just end this conversation.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Altough you are trying to edit your words to sound superior (the last sentence mainly) against my comments, I'm still going to reply. You are completely missing the point what is an offensive and defensive team. Jackets are defensive, flat out. Oilers are defensive. But Detroit (and Pittsburgh) win because they are great with their offensive plays. Yes, they have a great defence too, but still especially two last Cup winners have been the most offensive teams in the league. You can't really deny that. But as you said, there is nothing you can do to make me understand (I'm dumb) so let's just end this conversation.
And your first response was about Hitch's coaching style not working in the "New" NHL. Someone already posted that his 05-06 flyers outscored the league average by 20-30 goals, and 4 of his 5 Stars teams outscored last years league average, which means that they were strong defensively (per Hitch's system) but also very good offensively. My posts original content was to combat the fact that people think the lack of scoring is his fault or his "system" holding the players back.

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote