HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Shanahan to Habs

Old
07-14-2008, 02:25 AM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'd love Shanny if it was an incentive deal (especially if we still got Sundin).

Sign Shanny to a cheap deal ($1M) with incentives.

Move out Bouillon, Dandenault, and Begin.

Give the final forward spot to Milroy.

Re-sign Brisebois. Give the #6 D-Man spot to Valentenko or Carle, if either is ready. If not, use Brisebois and Henry in that spot.

A. Kostitsyn ($3.25M) - Plekanec ($1.6M) - Kovalev ($4.5M)
Tanguay ($5.25M) - Sundin ($8M) - S. Kost ($1M)
Higgins ($1.7M) - Koivu ($4.75M) - Shanahan ($1M)
Latendresse ($1M) - Lapierre ($.075M) - Laraque ($1.5M)
Milroy ($.5), Chipchura ($1M)

Markov ($5.75M) - Komisarek ($1.7M)
Hamrlik ($5.5M) - Brisebois ($.75M)
Gorges ($1.1M) - O'Byrne ($.75M)
Henry ($.75M)

Price ($2.5M)
Halak ($1M)

* Lines aren't to scale. Just putting players on the in the blanks.

Would this be awesome or what?!
Yes, except for Brisebois

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:51 AM
24morecupsthanyou*

if we miss out on Sundin, i say we trade for a d-man like Schneider as plan B...
we wouldn't really need Shanahan, we have enough competent wingers.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:04 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
People complained we didn't have anyone that crashed the net in the playoffs... people also complained when we had to use Smolinski on the PP since he was one of our only right handed shots. I want Sundin very bad but if he doesn't come I wouldn't mind Shanahan at all, even though he is old and slow he'll do whatever it takes to win and with PP time and playing on the 3rd line he can still easily score 25 goals for us while providing solid leadership and stepping up his game in the playoffs.

Tanguay - Plekanec - Kovalev
Latendresse - Koivu - A. Kostitsyn
Shanahan - Higgins - S. Kostitsyn
Lapierre - Chipchura - Laraque

Looks pretty good to me... but Sundin would still look 100 times better
I agree with your logic, but not your lines with Shananhan. Higgins did play center at Yale; I saw him a lot because I live 10 minutes from their home rink. However, he is a much better winger.

AK46 Pleky AK47
Higgins Koivu Tanquay
Shanny Chipchura SK27
Lats Lappy Laraque

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:31 AM
montreal25m

Sign him!

His leadership and experience would be so valuable to our young players. It is something you can't measure. Just reading the recent issue of The Hockey News and Holland was talking about the keys to success. One thing he mentioned was to make sure the young learn from old. Hey mentioned he kept Larinov one extra year eventhough he knew he was pretty much washed up just so he can teach the Datsyk and the Zetterberg's what it takes to be a "great" hockey player. I think a guy like Chipper, latendresse, Lappy can really benefit from a guy like him.

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
**** him!

we were no good for him when we struggled and now that we're good, he wants to come here...tell him to stay home.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
If FEDOROV received 4 mil at the age of 39, then...

I don't want to know what Shanahan will ask for from Gainey? (3 mil? 4 mil+?).

Pros: Shanny would add great depth/experience to our top 6 (or top 9 forwards).
Cons: he chose NY 2 years ago, and now he is older not as good, but...still good.
IF Gainey gets Shanny I think it should only be if he knows that Sundin will not sign with Montreal...Sundin is the one we really need, Shanny wouldn't be a bad addition but it won't be that cheap (imo). I'd be surprised if he took less than 3 mil.

I think (imo) that Gainey will wait for Sundin, and also be loyal to our young vets and younger players (S.Kosts, A.Kosts, Higgins, Tanguay...).

Shanny will probably want nothing less than top 6 ice-time, not 3rd line action (imo).

Shanny was making 2.5 last year.I dont see what warrants a raise.

I heard he was wanting 1 yr under 2 million . (Maybe with incentives?)

Now upgrade over smoklinski for sure who we payed 2 million.

Only question remains is does Plekanac give up his number 14

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
**** him!

we were no good for him when we struggled and now that we're good, he wants to come here...tell him to stay home.
Habs sign Shanny to a lifetime contract

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:21 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
At this point, I am against him being added. As others have mentioned, 2 years ago sure, now, forget it.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

1 year contract 1 million max with a few bonuses.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Shanny was making 2.5 last year.I dont see what warrants a raise.

I heard he was wanting 1 yr under 2 million . (Maybe with incentives?)

Now upgrade over smoklinski for sure who we payed 2 million.

Only question remains is does Plekanac give up his number 14
First of all, don't be mislead by Shanahan's last year's salary. He earned 2,5 million in base salary and 2,8 million on easily attainable bonuses (I think most of it was based on playing 10 regular season games)). So last year Shanny felt that he was worth 5 million. Coming down to 2 or 3 million (even in one year deal) to play for Habs would be significant pay cut.

Secondly, coming season is technically last season for current CBA (untill NHLPA announces that they are going to extend it for 2 more years, they have time untill spring/summer 2009 to make the announcement). Therefore incentives are much less valuable tool for cap management since teams cannot exercise the cap buffer based on incentives this season. It means that teams must be below 56,7 cap INCLUDING any bonuses at the beginning of the season. Therefore nothing can really be gained from basing part of the salary on incentives.

Shanny could be ok fit for Habs (assuming Sundin isn't signed). Right handed shot, experinence and leadership. I haven't followed his game in NY lately, so I can't comment whether he still has the required desire to win and compete. But still, he potted 23 goals last season (3rd best in team after Jagr and Drury) while fans critisised his game. Definetly not an easy fit, but in suitable role could be nice fit.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Talent Analyst

I might consider him, but he will takes the place of Latendresse. Yes, I'm a Tender basher but he deserves more than a fourth line role.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Shanahan 2 years ago would have been great,but right now I would pass

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
First of all, don't be mislead by Shanahan's last year's salary. He earned 2,5 million in base salary and 2,8 million on easily attainable bonuses (I think most of it was based on playing 10 regular season games)). So last year Shanny felt that he was worth 5 million. Coming down to 2 or 3 million (even in one year deal) to play for Habs would be significant pay cut.

Secondly, coming season is technically last season for current CBA (untill NHLPA announces that they are going to extend it for 2 more years, they have time untill spring/summer 2009 to make the announcement). Therefore incentives are much less valuable tool for cap management since teams cannot exercise the cap buffer based on incentives this season. It means that teams must be below 56,7 cap INCLUDING any bonuses at the beginning of the season. Therefore nothing can really be gained from basing part of the salary on incentives.

Shanny could be ok fit for Habs (assuming Sundin isn't signed). Right handed shot, experinence and leadership. I haven't followed his game in NY lately, so I can't comment whether he still has the required desire to win and compete. But still, he potted 23 goals last season (3rd best in team after Jagr and Drury) while fans critisised his game. Definetly not an easy fit, but in suitable role could be nice fit.
I can only see a fit if Sundin is not signed. It would be ridiculous to have to trade Bouillon and somebody else to make room for Sundin AND Shanny...we only need ONE top 9 forward and that's it...if it's between Shanahan and lats, I take Lats easily.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Winning leadership + Playoff Experience + Grit = what we need

who cares if he's getting old. Has a great shot and will do nothing but help our young kids about giving the extra 10% when it counts.

Albeit, it would have to be for a minimal price because savinf money for Sundin is still a priority. For me anyways.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Sorry Shanny, I love your style of play, but you should of came here a couple of years ago. I'd pass, unless you're making less than 2 Mil a season.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Winning leadership + Playoff Experience + Grit = what we need

who cares if he's getting old. Has a great shot and will do nothing but help our young kids about giving the extra 10% when it counts.

Albeit, it would have to be for a minimal price because savinf money for Sundin is still a priority. For me anyways.
Sorry, but Shanahan does not provide grit anymore. He has experience out the ass but that's about all he brings to the table now.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Sorry, but Shanahan does not provide grit anymore. He has experience out the ass but that's about all he brings to the table now.
He brings "leadership" too, whatever that is.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Meh
i like his shot

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:49 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Meh
i like his shot
But he's sooo "yesterday"...

I'd rather have SK in the line-up, thank ya

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
There's noway we can fit in both Sundin AND Shanny under the salary cap, we might have to buy out Dandenault just to make room for Sundin...I can't see Shanahan asking anything less than 3-4 mill, that's his market value anyway...So I guess it'd be a decent move if Sundin choses the Canucks...better than nothing right?
There's no way we're buying out Dandy when we could trade him away for like 3rd rounder. There are several teams that could use him as a 7th/utility winger. Why take on half of his contract when we can get something back even if its a low pick?

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:03 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
There's no way we're buying out Dandy when we could trade him away for like 3rd rounder. There are several teams that could use him as a 7th/utility winger. Why take on half of his contract when we can get something back even if its a low pick?
Last night I watched the re-run of game 7 against the Bruins on the NHL net.. Dandy was really doing cool things on the ice.. as a forward though..

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:08 AM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24morecupsthanyou View Post
if we miss out on Sundin, i say we trade for a d-man like Schneider as plan B...
we wouldn't really need Shanahan, we have enough competent wingers.
i do agree with that. I think we need a quality 4th Defenseman if we can't get our hands on Sundin.

since we had the best offense last year, imagine what we could do with one of the best defense as well.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:10 AM
kernkraft

He'll sign with Detroit IMO.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Last night I watched the re-run of game 7 against the Bruins on the NHL net.. Dandy was really doing cool things on the ice.. as a forward though..
I didn't dislike his play last year. He was simply outclassed by our prospects. The fact of the matter is that he's got value. And I think he showed good hussle in the playoffs. All in all, I have nothing against him except that he's taking up space that can be used by our kids to get experience.

I could see a team like LA needing a player like him to provide some on-ice leadership and experience. Especially after the departure of Rob Blake.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:28 AM
yukoner

What does everyone think of a Shanahan - Chipchura - Latendresse line for our 3rd scoring line?? I think that would be pretty awesome, they could play a strong checking role but also be relied on to score goals.

Then we'd have Laraque - Lapierre/Begin - Kostopolous for our 4th line, it would be perfect, that's a hell of a physical line and all of them can play.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote