HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baranka vs Kalinin

Old
07-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Baranka vs Kalinin

To be honest I'm not 100% sure why Baranka left for Russia. But just looking at the whole situation, wouldn't it have been a better idea to resign Baranka and give him a shot instead of getting Kalinin at 2.5 mil? I mean we drafted Baranka, let him develope, then let him walk?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:33 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
To be honest I'm not 100% sure why Baranka left for Russia. But just looking at the whole situation, wouldn't it have been a better idea to resign Baranka and give him a shot instead of getting Kalinin at 2.5 mil? I mean we drafted Baranka, let him develope, then let him walk?
Probably because he felt he'd put in his 3-years in the AHL without getting a legit shot at the NHL and decided he'd have a better future elsewhere. I don't even think he waited around for a qualifying offer. Realistically, if you're stuck in the AHL for 3 years, and got no significant opportunity to prove whether or not you can make it in the NHL, you've got to be thinking that your window for for making it -- and making money as a hockey player -- is already starting to close.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Blueblood 2

Kid saw the spots fill up during Free agency. He knows he is behind Sanguinetti and others. Go make the money now, in a league with competition a cut above the AHL, and see if it gets you a better shot in a few years. The entry level contract rule is going to cause a lot of these border line kids to go for the bucks.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:55 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Probably because he felt he'd put in his 3-years in the AHL without getting a legit shot at the NHL and decided he'd have a better future elsewhere. I don't even think he waited around for a qualifying offer. Realistically, if you're stuck in the AHL for 3 years, and got no significant opportunity to prove whether or not you can make it in the NHL, you've got to be thinking that your window for for making it -- and making money as a hockey player -- is already starting to close.
exactly i dont blame him for leaving

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

everytime there was an opportunity for him to come up, he had some sort of injury, minor, or major. I think hes an NHL player, i think hes also made of glass. I loved the prospect, and thought he was a shoe in to make this club before he left, but im not going to cry over him leaving. There are other options. Besides, hes definitely not a guy i would have seen being on the rangers for more than a year or 2 anyway. Were way too deep on the blueline with staal, redden, and rozsival likely to be here long term, and sauer, sanguinetti and del zotto all likley to be on this team within 4 years.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:04 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
everytime there was an opportunity for him to come up, he had some sort of injury, minor, or major. I think hes an NHL player, i think hes also made of glass. I loved the prospect, and thought he was a shoe in to make this club before he left, but im not going to cry over him leaving. There are other options. Besides, hes definitely not a guy i would have seen being on the rangers for more than a year or 2 anyway. Were way too deep on the blueline with staal, redden, and rozsival likely to be here long term, and sauer, sanguinetti and del zotto all likley to be on this team within 4 years.
also agree we have plenty of depth in the prospect pool for defense he wont be missed...he can go play in the khl which is prob the near the same talent level as the ahl anyways lol

Last edited by BrianLeetch2: 07-13-2008 at 06:14 PM.
BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I think this is pretty much the problem. He had too many problems with injuries, or he would have gotten his legit shot sooner.

Sucks that he went back, because if he just stayed healthy he would have gotten a shot, I think.

But yeah, I don't think he even gave the Rangers a chance to consider him for next year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Not a fan of the signing, I hope we can trade Rosival and keep Girardi when Del Zotto or whoever is ready.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Baranka committed to Russia before the UFA signings this year, didn't he?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Baranka committed to Russia before the UFA signings this year, didn't he?
Yes.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
So, I guess that makes the UFA signings irrelevant, and if anything him bolting maybe necessitated a Kalinin. I wish Ivan well, and hope he does suit up for us someday.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Radek27

I also don't think the whole Pock thing from last year helped matters much either.

Old
07-13-2008, 10:53 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Kid saw the spots fill up during Free agency. He knows he is behind Sanguinetti and others. Go make the money now, in a league with competition a cut above the AHL, and see if it gets you a better shot in a few years. The entry level contract rule is going to cause a lot of these border line kids to go for the bucks.
Actually I think you have this backwards. His somewhat untimely departure probably caused the Rangers to sign one more defenseman than they would have under the circumstances. Best case -- he's back next year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:01 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Best case -- he's back next year.
He signed a 2 year contract with Spartak.

Old
07-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Oh man it's for 2 years? That sucks

Old
07-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Admit it, as you were writing Spartak, all you could think of was...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:29 PM
NYR Viper

when i watched the game he played against TB last season i thought he looked real good....very composed, solid defenseman with a good outlet pass.....i understand he had injuries, but he deserved a shot and i wish he had stayed because i really thought he would have been the ideal #5 or #6 defenseman on this years team

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:46 PM
FLYLine24*

Injury prone Baranka with no NHL experience and was average at best in the AHL, or injury prone Kalinin who has been average in the NHL...

I'll take the injury prone Kalinin and his 1 year price tag and have him sit nicely as the #6 dman.

Baranka would have never lasted in the NHL anyway. Was never high on him. He realized that as well when he signed in Russia.

Sauer took Baranka spot anyway, now he I am high on. I expect him to have a very, very solid AHL season this year with one season under his belt.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Sauer took Baranka spot anyway
As an injury prone Rangers prospect defenseman you mean?

Old
07-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Fletch

I don't think...

Baranka was really in the Rangers' plans. He played in one NHL game, and seemed to play well after shaking off some early jitters. The Rangers carried 7 defensemen and there wasn't a heck of a lot of opportunity for Baranka to show if he's NHL ready due to a lack of injuries to two NHL defensemen at the same time, and when there was injury, Renney would prefer to use one of his top 7 (often Strudwick, who was a mainstay for a while). His injuries in the AHL didn't help him because everytime he'd get on a roll and perhaps warrant a look-see (ahead of Strudwick), he'd get hurt. It is a shame - thought he was a good, young defenseman in HFD, and was part of that top pair (he and Potter) that seemed to do well.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:17 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Sauer took Baranka spot anyway, now he I am high on. I expect him to have a very, very solid AHL season this year with one season under his belt.
I'm not sure how much to expect from him coming off the ACL injury. I doubt he'll be ready to start the season. Hopefully he can return to form quickly and use the second half of the year to improve his game, but more likely he will spend the entire year working back to where he was.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
bogans

Quote:
As an injury prone Rangers prospect defenseman you mean?
Agreed, I only want to see Sauer stay on the ice for an entire season and I would be ecstatic. That kid needs to drink some milk.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Agreed, I only want to see Sauer stay on the ice for an entire season and I would be ecstatic. That kid needs to drink some milk.
The D is solid dude

top 6 is great and Pock should be given the 7th

So depth chart

Redden
Rozsival
Staal
Girardi
Kalinen
Mara
Pock

Sanguinetti
Sauer
Potter
Fahey
Denisev

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
The D is solid dude

top 6 is great and Pock should be given the 7th

So depth chart

Redden
Rozsival
Staal
Girardi
Kalinen
Mara
Pock

Sanguinetti
Sauer
Potter
Fahey
Denisev
the problem is that last season in the ahl, the rangers had like 8 injuries....and they were able to mix and match because they had a ton of depth....however, that depth chart does not look as good as last years, although itmay be more talented, it isnt as deep because there are less players.......

also, i think fahey, denisev, pock and potter will all be battling for that last spot on the team and i dont hink pock will make it

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:03 PM
94now

Baranka left cause he is not stupid. WolfPacks did not have a single career AHLer on defense for awhile. You must have those to run the team reliably. Thus, Baranka as well as Pock should have guessed Rangers either sign a few or make THEM a career AHLers. Rangers signed such a "AHL forever" guy in Denisov only now. They have seen Baranka panic and now want to assure Pock that he still has a chance. In no way I would believe it, if I was Tomas Pock.
Slats and his crew have to learn a new reality quick. Russia got the oil money Americans supply to them. Now they can lure our athletes to play in their leagues. This is no longer the 80-ies.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote